Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Official 2003 NFL Thread!

Geoff Grace

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Y'know - I'm thinking it's about time for me to be changin' my avatar... :D

I'm actually saving mine for the first pre-season game, but if you'd like a sneak preview...

http://home.earthlink.net/~jeffannak/raiderweasel2003.jpg

GO RAIDERS!

- Jeff

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Postman:

Hi, Jeff, DB, how's it going? :cool:

It's baaaaaack... ;)

Hey Bronco Boy, you'll be happy to know that you'll have a Horsie Buddy here this year on the forum. Perhaps you and billevans can get together to form a support group for the depression that'll start setting in about week three.

See, that'll be the point you start refering to the Griese era as "the good old days" in comparison to Plummer. You better pray that Portis (a.k.a. the franchise) stays healthy, cause that's all you got! :)

Can't wait until our Monday Night game! :thu:

- Jeff

Chargers to LA? Is that blasphemous proposal really on the table? (I mean a REAL table, not out little table). I don't care if they were in LA originally. Might as well send the Dodgers and Lakers back where they came from too! And the Clips. And The Kings. LA had its shot at football. Not many cities have managed to lose TWO franchises, though I'm usually willing to give them a pass n the Raiders because of the "Davis Rule."

SD needs the Chargers. With a little effort, they will love the Chargers. I've spent a lot of time in San Diego, and, as far as I can tell, there is only thing in the sports world they truly Love : Tony Gwynn. That's it.

But as far as AFC teams go, they have a pretty formidable winning tradition there. An all time great QB (Fouts...and Hadle?; at least 2 all time great WRs (Allworth, Winslow, Joiner, Jefferson, Chandler, yikes!) And they should have won the Super Bowl in the year of the ice bowl in Cincinati, or so I've always felt.

No to LA! No to LA!

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Llarion:

Derrick Brooks may not be the fastest person on the defense anymore with the addition of hard-hitting Dwayne Rudd from Cleveland.

Hold up there, Phil. You must be thinking of a very different Dwayne Rudd. The Dwayne Rudd that you got from Cleveland is an ex Viking - and as we all know, those Vikes are only fast in sneakers. Dwayne is a mauler, no doubt, but he couldn't cover in Cleveland or Minnesota, and he won't be able to cover in TB either. You'd better hope Derrick gets the calls to go out in coverage on blitz formations, 'cause peeps will be throwing some nasty touchdown passes to running backs and TE's against Rudd.

Don't argue with me on this one - I'm a rabid Vikes fan, and I've known all their strengths and weaknesses for many years ;)

Meanwhile, speaking of the Vikes, who wants to make bets on how many wins they get this year?

I'm thinking 5, maybe 6.

Originally posted by Magpel:

LA had its shot at football. Not many cities have managed to lose TWO franchises, though I'm usually willing to give them a pass n the Raiders because of the "Davis Rule."

LA supported the Rams for nearly 50 years before they moved to St. Louis ... IMHO, that's not bad for a "shot at football!" ;)

John, I think if you're going to give LA a pass for Al Davis, you've gotta give us one for Georgia Frontiere too. The Rams were beloved by Los Angeles when their former owner (Frontiere's husband), Carol Rosenbloom, drowned off the Florida coast in April 1979. However, the year after she inherited her team, Frontiere began her new relationship with LA fans by slapping them in the face and moving the Rams to Anaheim! :mad:

My brother has a long list of grievances as far as Georgia Frontiere is concerned, but I prefer not to go there. I loved the LA Rams despite her, and I regularly trekked the 60 miles down to Anaheim to watch them play. My saddest day as a sports fan was the day they left.

I will say this much more about Georgia Frontiere - due to her legacy, I take great satisfaction that I now root for the team with the best owners in football!

G O

P A C K E R S ! ! !

http://www.packersproshop.com/images/products/20f.jpeg

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Meanwhile, speaking of the Vikes, who wants to make bets on how many wins they get this year?

I'm thinking 5, maybe 6.[/QB]

Logic says this for sure, but the Vikings are still talented offensively, and if Tice has any authenticity at all as a head coach, then this year should be a small turnaround and get them maybe 8-9 wins. Not betting though.
TROLL . . . ish.

By the way, I think Rudd is the Bucs matchup answer to any possible uprisings from Jeremy Shockey in NY, Duce Staley in Philly, Duce McCalllister in N.O., Ahmand Green in G.B., Hearst in S.F., and any potential up and comers in the NFC like TJ Duckett in Atl, or A Train in Chi...

It's a good "on paper" matchup against these teams, but as in most cases, it will work for some games and not for others. Much fun to watch though :D:D

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel:

Welll, all I can say about Rudd is that I hope he learned to keep his hat on until the real end of the game after last year's little debacle. ;)

- Jeff

Wouldn't worry about that Jeff.. This year he'll answer to Brooks & Sapp for any transgressions.
TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Originally posted by Llarion:

Derrick Brooks may not be the fastest person on the defense anymore with the addition of hard-hitting Dwayne Rudd from Cleveland.

Hold up there, Phil. You must be thinking of a very different Dwayne Rudd. The Dwayne Rudd that you got from Cleveland is an ex Viking - and as we all know, those Vikes are only fast in sneakers. Dwayne is a mauler, no doubt, but he couldn't cover in Cleveland or Minnesota, and he won't be able to cover in TB either. You'd better hope Derrick gets the calls to go out in coverage on blitz formations, 'cause peeps will be throwing some nasty touchdown passes to running backs and TE's against Rudd.

Don't argue with me on this one - I'm a rabid Vikes fan, and I've known all their strengths and weaknesses for many years ;)

I'm thinking 5, maybe 6.

I think 7-9, actually. We'll see. But they do need some work.

I wouldn't argue with you on Rudd, but merely point out that the Bucs' cover two scheme is not quite the same as the one he left in Minnesota. Plus, apparently, his conditioning is better than it has ever been. And, he was not surrounded with the level of talent that he is now. It makes everyone better, being in a group like that because they won't fear him with Brooks and Singleton roaming. And if they throw at him more, I think the Bucs have the best pair of corners in the biz (props to Philly, of course). Regardless, he's still a slight upgrade over Al Singleton, so I'm ecstatic.

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

ACCCKKK! I'm mad, mostly at myself.

I knew the American Bowl game had aired live at 2:00am, and was re-airing tonight. But I wasn't sure what time the game started, so to find out I just went to the ESPN web site out of habit. And of course, I flashed by a headline which pretty much told me who won the game. D'OH! :mad:

That's okay...I still can't WAIT to watch actual people playing NFL football in a few hours! Whooo-hoooo!

- Jeff

ACCCKKK! I'm mad, mostly at myself.

I knew the American Bowl game had aired live at 2:00am, and was re-airing tonight. But I wasn't sure what time the game started, so to find out I just went to the ESPN web site out of habit. And of course, I flashed by a headline which pretty much told me who won the game. D'OH! :mad:

Me, too... :rolleyes:

That's okay...I still can't WAIT to watch actual people playing NFL football in a few hours! Whooo-hoooo!

Me, neither! :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Three guys on the Bucs who looked GREAT:

Tim Wonsley

Charles Lee

Shaun King

Chad Penningtoon looked VERY sharp too and I like that little kick returner guy of theirs...

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

Yeah, that was some play by Tim Wansley - causing a fumble is a big play, recovering a fumble is a big play, scoring a touchdown is a big play; but for one person to do all three of those things in one down ... now that's a BIG PLAY!

Oh yeah, it sure was fun to watch some NFL football again! :thu:

Tampa Bay looks deep and Gruden looks like a great coach. I wonder which teams will be the lucky recipients of the cuts he'll be forced to make ... Is it too much to hope to see Warren Sapp in a Packers uniform ... as opposed to on top of one? :D

Footnote:

What the ... ? I just looked at the Packers' schedule; and, for the second year in a row now, Tampa Bay gets to play host to "the battle of the bays!" That sucks for Green Bay fans, especially considering that the home team usually wins that game... :mad:

G O

P A C K E R S ! ! !

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Yeah, that was some play by Tim Wansley - causing a fumble is a big play, recovering a fumble is a big play, scoring a touchdown is a big play; but for one person to do all three of those things in one down ... now that's a BIG PLAY!

Oh yeah, it sure was fun to watch some NFL football again! :thu:

Tampa Bay looks deep and Gruden looks like a great coach. I wonder which teams will be the lucky recipients of the cuts he'll be forced to make ... Is it too much to hope to see Warren Sapp in a Packers uniform ... as opposed to on top of one? :D

Footnote:

What the ... ? I just looked at the Packers' schedule; and, for the second year in a row now, Tampa Bay gets to play host to "the battle of the bays!" That sucks for Green Bay fans, especially considering that the home team usually wins that game... :mad:

G O

P A C K E R S ! ! !

Best,

Geoff

It was actually four big plays on one play: QB sack, forced fumble, fumble recovery, and fumble return for touchdown. One of the most heads-up plays I've seen in a long time from anyone.

That is weird about GB coming to Tampa again. But hey, the weather is better... :) One wonders how long it will go before Sapp goes down from a cheap shot rollup block or something... ;):rolleyes:

I think McKay will mortgage the farm to keep Sapp, laying the franchise tag on him for next year if necessary and coughing up the 7.5 mill just to give him negotiating time. If not that; he'll have a back-weighted 5 year deal before the last preseason game.

I said before that the 2nd team TB D-line looks as good as most other teams' 1st srting; I have to now extend that to the whole D. That was quite a showing by all the backups. You're right, the ones that get cut will do very well elsewhere! I think Corey Ivy, Wansley, and Phillips are set. I think that German kicker may find a home somewhere else...

On the Jets side, I was also impressed by Dan Strysynski's huge, booming punts, and appalled at the poor coverage of same. There was at least 2 instances where they could have downed the Bucs inside the 5 and didn't execute.

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

I do like pre-season for reasons other than the obvious "Thank God I don't have to watch baseball any more". So, I had a few pals over, drank some cheap beer and watched some football! :thu:

It's rare to see those second and third string QBs, recievers and so on. Sometimes you don't get another chance to see those guys play until you don't want to see them play, as in when the starter gets injured (or arrested or something else bad like that).

Excellent play by Wansley...this guy's got talent, but at 5'8" it'll be tough to imagine him as a starting CB. Both King and Simms look like great backups for Johnson. On the side of the Jets, nothing really notable (except things looked pretty tight when both teams had their first string in for the first two drives).

Anyway, we rounded out the evening by playing a few games of Madden 2003 on the Xbox. Raiders beat Denver 34-21 in my virtual reality world. :)

- Jeff

Excellent play by Wansley...this guy's got talent, but at 5'8" it'll be tough to imagine him as a starting CB.
Nah, he's not really slated to start at all; he's 2nd oln the depth chart behind Brian Kelly. But he'll be the front runner for nickel downs and dime package situations, where Dwight Smith rotates back over to corner and Jermaine Phillips comes in at safety. Plus, he has demonstrated he can be used in corner blitz situations; height isn't really a factor there. But, consider this: Pro Bowl cover corner Ronde Barber is only 5'10" and "should-damn-well-have-been" Pro Bowl corner Brian Kelly is only 5'11".

Also, Wansley is 2nd on the depth chart for kickoff returns too; behind Stecker.

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

With the HOF inductions and all the old NFL films Hank Stram footage they're showing on ESPN et al ("65 Toss Power Trap!!!"), it occured to me....

I think Dave Bryce might be Hank Stram's Illegitimate child.

have a look at this picture posted by Tinderarts on another thread: http://www.tinderarts.com/images/craig%20n%20dave.jpg

and these: http://images.auctionhelper.com/images/9045//stram8x10.jpghttp://www.kansascity.com/images/kansascity/kansascity/6449/41594759200.jpg ...

At the very least, dB could put on a few pounds and be cast to play the role of Stram in a made-for TV movie, eh?

-dave ;)

DAVE GREENBERG

SONOPOD MASTERING

and, for the second year in a row now, Tampa Bay gets to play host to "the battle of the bays!
Remember when that matchup would be the worst game of the year?

At the very least, dB could put on a few pounds and be cast to play the role of Stram in a made-for TV movie, eh?
Might as well cast Anderton as Terry Bradshaw while you're at it.

I cannot decide if I am going to chear for or against Cleveland this year. I like the team, but am beginning to hate the fans. They may be turning into the worst sports fans in the nation. Judging by the crowd you would think that the Cleveland Browns is an English soccer team. :rolleyes:

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Ahhh, yes - the first Monday Night game of the year.

I am so jazzed. If I were a gambling man, I might have to take KC tonight (if this were the regular season and starters were playing).

dB, please tell me Friday night's Raiders/Rams game is televised. I know the following week's Raiders/Niners game is on Fox, but I'm not positive that this week's game is.

- Jeff

dB, please tell me Friday night's Raiders/Rams game is televised. I know the following week's Raiders/Niners game is on Fox, but I'm not positive that this week's game is.

Dunno. I'm betting/hoping it is, though. Probably just locally, on Channel 2.

Something tells me that Lambs are gonna suck this year... :D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Ahhh, yes - the first Monday Night game of the year.

Geoff, I'll bet you're excited for a first glimpse at yer boys...

dB

Don't know if I'll be looking at the game or just gazing at Lisa Guerrero all night...1st week of preseason focus problems.

http://espn.go.com/abcsports/pressreleases/s/2003/0625/1572680.html

TROLL . . . ish.

Monday night football lost me when it changed to 9 PM EST starts. That means I only see one half of the game before going to bed. Sure, they do this for the west coast viewers, but why? Who cares about the west coast? :P

Maybe some day they will start having two Monday night games. One early and one late.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived