Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Official 2003 NFL Thread!

Geoff Grace

Originally posted by Rabid:

Monday night football lost me when it changed to 9 PM EST starts. That means I only see one half of the game before going to bed.

Why, what time do you wake up on Tuesdays? If the answer is anytime after 4:30am, don't be a wuss...stay up late and watch the game, fer cryin out loud! ;)

- Jeff

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Rabid, Im sure you're bound to miss a few nights of sleep. That season opener on Sept 8th may be the best game of the regular season. not to mention the Oakland/Denver matchup on 7/22, and The Dec 15th "Can Miami win a big game in Dec" game. God, thank U for football!

2003 MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

August 18

Preseason Tampa Bay vs. St. Louis

Edward Jones Dome

August 25

Preseason Indianapolis vs. Denver

INVESCO Field at Mile High

September 4 New York Jets vs. Washington

FedEx Field

September 8 Tampa Bay vs. Philadelphia

Lincoln Financial Field

September 15 Dallas vs. New York Giants

Giants Stadium

September 22 Oakland vs. Denver

September 29 Green Bay vs. Chicago

Soldier Field

October 6 Indianapolis vs. Tampa Bay

Raymond James Stadium

October 13 Atlanta vs. St. Louis

Edward Jones Dome

October 20 Kansas City vs. Oakland

Network Associates Coliseum

October 27 Miami vs. San Diego

Qualcomm Stadium

November 3 New England vs. Denver

November 10 Philadelphia vs. Green Bay

Lambeau Field

November 17 Pittsburgh vs. San Francisco

3Com Park

November 24 New York Giants vs. Tampa Bay

Raymond James Stadium

December 1 Tennessee vs. New York Jets

Giants Stadium

December 8 St. Louis vs. Cleveland

Cleveland Browns Stadium

December 15 Philadelphia vs. Miami

Pro Player Stadium

December 22 Green Bay vs. Oakland

Network Associates Coliseum

January 3

Wild Card Game #1 TBA vs. TBA

TBA

January 3

Wild Card Game #2 TBA vs. TBA

TBA

February 8

AFC-NFC Pro Bowl AFC vs. NFC

Aloha Stadium

TROLL . . . ish.

Dave, IIRC, ABC moved Monday Night Football to 8:00 PM ET in 2001 and changed it back in 2002. Tonight's game, however, is at 8:00 PM ET:

Posted at NFL.com :

When the Green Bay Packers take on the Kansas City Chiefs on ABC-TV at 8 p.m (ET), it matches the Super Bowl I teams of Jan. 15, 1967 when the Packers prevailed 35-10 in Los Angeles. The coach of the Chiefs in that game? New Hall of Fame inductee Stram.

...And yes, I'm W A Y psyched about tonight's game! I hope the Packers are completely healed from injury and ready for action! :wave:

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

BTW, some people here seem to be underestimating Green Bay's chances this season. Granted, they seemed to fall apart during their last two games; but they actually fell apart much earlier due to injuries and yet managed to somehow look strong until they faced the Jets.

I wouldn't say Ive ruled them out, but

the 42-17 beating the Jets put on them in week 17, and the 27-7 thrashing the Falcon's put on them in playoff....at home....in the snow, Kinda takes the luster off a lil. I think it's the Lambau playoff loss thing that gets most people.

This year--playoff's? Sure why not. I think you'll also get more of a downward slide from Favre as well.

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

They called the game on account of rain!

:eek:

I don't think I've ever seen that happen before...whassup w/dat?

Nor have I.

You gotta figure that it being preseason and all and the chance of injuries being higher in the rain, it's not worth it to play it out. The other thing, of course, is that ABC has a schedule to maintain and they didn't want their 9:00 movie being pushed back. Ad sales, ya know. ;)

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel:

Farve wouldn't look good as a lump of charcoal...

- Jeff

He already plays like one...

:D:D

(ducking and running after taking the easy shot...)

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Yeah, I can't recall ever seeing an NFL football game cancelled due to weather of any kind! It's kind of a bummer; but considering the injuries that had already transpired, I'm glad the NFL cut its losses.

It was good to see 42 year old Morten Anderson still in fine form. I wasn't too worried about the Packers' inability to score with 1/4 of the team's starters out. Brett Favre nonetheless completed 4 of 6 passes for 54 yards. Former Eagle cornerback Al Harris played well for Green Bay tonight too.

My only concern tonight is for Kansas City's offensive tackle Willie Jones. I sure hope that his head trauma wasn't too serious! :(

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by Llarion:

Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel:

Farve wouldn't look good as a lump of charcoal...

- Jeff

He already plays like one...

:D:D

(ducking and running after taking the easy shot...)

Ohhhhh, that's gonna leave a mark. :eek:

Y'know, Phil - I'm thinking I'm detecting an almost steadyb-like cockiness to your swagger. ;)

Glad yer boys are on top - must be nice. I do hope for your sake they stay there...otherwise, you being so cocky 'n all, payback might be...how shall I say...a bitch? :evil::D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

It would be just about time for steadyb to start jumping in with some Seahawks commentary if he weren't in Hawaii right now. What a torn life he must lead, being a Lakers and Seahags fan. The thrill of victory...the agony of defeat. :D

At least they're safely out of the mighty AFC West, where the men are men, the dogs are dogs and the Silver and Black prevail.

GO RAIDERS!

- Jeff

Y'know, Phil - I'm thinking I'm detecting an almost steadyb-like cockiness to your swagger.

Glad yer boys are on top - must be nice. I do hope for your sake they stay there...otherwise, you being so cocky 'n all, payback might be...how shall I say...a bitch?

Well, on the one hand, I waited SO long to be able to be on top, I think I earned a little bit of swagger. :D And you're right, when the curve goes the other way, I'll have some zingers coming my way...

On the other, I'm just funnin' about; nothing serious. Favre is a first ballot HOF candidate to be sure. You'll remember, my comments about the Super Bowl were of the game analysis sort, not that the Raiders where a wheezing, gasping, inept group of poster children for Geritol; nothing like THAT... :wave::D

(Ooooh, am I gonna pay for THAT one; especially when the Raiders score 550 this year...)

Should be an interesting offensive stat race between the Raiders, Chiefs, and Rams this year.

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

Well, on the one hand, I waited SO long to be able to be on top, I think I earned a little bit of swagger. :D And you're right, when the curve goes the other way, I'll have some zingers coming my way...

On the other, I'm just funnin' about; nothing serious. Favre is a first ballot HOF candidate to be sure. You'll remember, my comments about the Super Bowl were of the game analysis sort, not that the Raiders where a wheezing, gasping, inept group of poster children for Geritol; nothing like THAT... :wave::D

(Ooooh, am I gonna pay for THAT one; especially when the Raiders score 550 this year...)

Should be an interesting offensive stat race between the Raiders, Chiefs, and Rams this year.

ROFL!

Understand, Phil, all swaggers are short lived, but good Raiders Age jokes last forever :D

Originally posted by meccajay:

Don't know if I'll be looking at the game or just gazing at Lisa Guerrero all night...1st week of preseason focus problems.

[/url][/QB]

She 's great, but I missed Melissa Stark.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Well, on the one hand, I waited SO long to be able to be on top, I think I earned a little bit of swagger. :D

No doubt; plus, you had to put up with those silly orange uniforms. :eek:

And you're right, when the curve goes the other way, I'll have some zingers coming my way...
:wave::D
Yeah, I guess it's easy to be outplayed when one team comes into a game with a ton of talent, a ton of momentum, and a head coach that wrote the opposing teams playbook... :D

Yes, indeedy.

I am definitely ready for some football!

dB

Yeah, I guess it's easy to be outplayed when one team comes into a game with a ton of talent, a ton of momentum, and a head coach that wrote the opposing teams playbook...
Granted that was a huge advantage; but wouldn't you agree that it was incumbent on the new Oakland coach to make changes to ensure just such a scenario didn't occur? Last I heard, they called that concept a "game plan". ;) I lay a lot of the blame for Oakland's loss on the coach; and on Gannon himself not being ready for that ferocious rush. Of course, that's harder to scenario in practice at game speed...

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

-The game was a dog, they did good to call it. Madden & Al were running out of anything to say but, You know Favre's the best this... Favre's the best that...Favre can play til he's 40..on & on. He's good, he's going to the hall, we get it.

-Glad that player with the head to head collision is doing better!

-b3guy... I miss Melissa too, she's sweet, but I'd rather look at Lisa. Lisa was a bit to.....business-like last night. HOF players running around. 1st broadcast with Al & John...figures. Im looking forward to the reg-season when her real personality(and outfits) come out a bit more.

-Llarion, take all the shots, and all the time you need to gloat. I was a Tampa fan once...then again, and even a 3rd time...tough racket!

-Regarding last night, kinda looks like Priest Holmes is back, but I really wanted to get a look at Larry Johnson....oh well.

TROLL . . . ish.

Dude- I watched Larry Johnson play at PSU. He'll be a bust (do you know how hard for me it is to say that, as a PSU fan :eek: ) He had one good year, rang up most of his yards against teams with 2nd rate defenses, and runs way to uprights, IMHO. He was kind of exposed against Auburn in the Citrus Bowl. I hope I'm wrong, but history (Curtis Enis, KiJana Carter) is in my favor on this one.

How much longer is Vermeil gonna coach at KC?

GO STEELERS!!

"You can't enjoy yourself unless you're having fun."

How bout dem Steelers--

Why the black and gold will win it all:

1. Best receiving corps in the NFL, IMHO

2. Best linebacking corps in the NFL.

3. Bettis may surprise some people this year.

4. Good team depth/reserves

Why the black and gold will not make it past divisional playoffs:

1. Yeah, so we've got Troy Polamalu. Now if the rest of the secondary could play man coverage, and not rely on soft zones all the time, maybe we wouldn't give up 3000 points per game.

2. Cincy is getting better (Ok, that was a joke)

3. Bettis may be done. D-U-N

4. Tommy Maddox - Way too streaky.

But, Cleveland, Baltimore and the Bungles aren't gonna catch us.

:D

Originally posted by Biggus:

Why the black and gold will not make it past divisional playoffs:

1. Yeah, so we've got Troy Polamalu. Now if the rest of the secondary could play man coverage, and not rely on soft zones all the time, maybe we wouldn't give up 3000 points per game.

2. Cincy is getting better (Ok, that was a joke)

3. Bettis may be done. D-U-N

4. Tommy Maddox - Way too streaky.

But, Cleveland, Baltimore and the Bungles aren't gonna catch us.

I'm inclined to agree with you....

Yer boys should win their division, but all the rest of your points definitely seem to lead up to a quick exit from the playoffs. There are certainly some other question marks in the AFC, though...

Of course, Dr. South may disagree here... ;)

dB

Hey, who's up for a little Giants/Patsies tomorrow night? Mags, this'll be the first look we get at yer boys - hope someone's muzzled Shockey... :rolleyes:

Raiders/Rams Friday night. Yessssssssss...so, who's gonna be the QB in St. Lou?

Yeah, it's pre-season, but I'm still stoked.

dB

All I know is that my cable company promises HDTV will be available by the end of this month, which means Monday Night Football and hopefully a few other games in glorious High Definition on my 57" Hitachi....

Whoo-hoo!

Later,

kc

Originally posted by coxnvox@aol.com:

All I know is that my cable company promises HDTV will be available by the end of this month, which means Monday Night Football and hopefully a few other games in glorious High Definition on my 57" Hitachi....

Wait - wait...HDTV on CABLE??? Really?

God, I hope so - I've been playing with the idea of getting the damn dish just so I could watch football in HDTV. All the ESPN games are gonna be HDTV, too...

I'm calling my cable company tomorrow...

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Raiders/Rams Friday night. Yessssssssss...so, who's gonna be the QB in St. Lou?

They'll be anxious about anything happening to either Warner or Bulger right now. We may be seeing more rooks and second year guys like Greg Zolman and Kirk Farmer after the first couple drives.

This is the one time of year, God willing, we get to see Tuiososopo play (and yeah, Mirer and even Tee Martin). That's always fun.

Yeah, it's pre-season, but I'm still stoked.
Me too! :thu:

- Jeff

You mean someone actually picked up Tee Martin. What a disaster that guy is!

Love him or not, Shockey might be one of the 4 or 5 best pure tight ends in the game now. G-Men might surprise a few people (like the Eagles for one) this year. Kerry Collins is poised for a breakout year...

Rams- Hmmm. Warner is still there guy, if he's healthy. If I'm Bulger, I'm biding my time until next year... ;)

Archived