Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Official 2003 NFL Thread!

Geoff Grace

Well, Jeff, seeing as how I'm one of the few forum members that wasn't around back in 1918...

Actually I think I stand mostly correct. I believe it was Dan who mentioned the music for the 'banner' is actually an old English drinking song (which explains that octave and a half range, and isn't to be confused with the Olde English drinking song which is really more of a gastrointestinal soliloquy with toilet flushing accompaniment). Francis Scott Key put words to it in 1814, and it became our National Anthem in 1931.

And c'mon Jeff, everyone knows there's no hockey in LA... :cool:

*Howard Zinn for President*

**Pilsner Urquell for President of Beers!**

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by berkleeboi:

Well, Jeff, seeing as how I'm one of the few forum members that wasn't around back in 1918...

You little whippersnapper, why I oughtta... ;)

Actually I think I stand mostly correct. I believe it was Dan who mentioned the music for the 'banner' is actually an old English drinking song (which explains that octave and a half range, and isn't to be confused with the Olde English drinking song which is really more of a gastrointestinal soliloquy with toilet flushing accompaniment). Francis Scott Key put words to it in 1814, and it became our National Anthem in 1931.
Yes, agreed on the history. But it wasn't until 1918 when those lyrics and that melody became joined at the hip.

And, ultimately...it doesn't matter. People either like melisma or they don't. Everry time I was forced to sing Handel in college, taking one syllable and stretching it over 30 individual notes bugged the crap out of me. And yet, I still like good interpretations of the anthem.

And c'mon Jeff, everyone knows there's no hockey in LA... :cool:
Oooooh, I'm coming over to beat you with a stick. Remember I know where Mass Ave and Boylston Street meet ;)

We need to get the hockey thread freshened up soon. My Kings are (as usual) playing without their top guys, but still holding on in the Pacific division. If they held the playoffs today, we'd be in.

But back to football...I already miss it. I'm going to watch the Pro Bowl, something I almost never do, just to get one last fix in before the big vacuum of emptiness kicks in for five long months.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Magpel:

Griff, I've been puking over that overly-melismatic, over-the-top de rigeur pop idol vocal stylings for a while now, so you're not alone.

It's funny that we should be talking about this subject in a sports thread; because back when I was in high school, my friends and I referred to this sort of thing as "Music Olympics." Of course back then, it was usually the instrumentalists who were guilty of overdoing it; but I agree that it's hard to find a melody that an ordinary person can sing along with in some of today's songs.

I think this is something that's common with young people. It starts with "look Mommy, watch this" and ends with the epiphany that one's performing speed has gone too far. In my case, this happened when I was 21. The band I was playing with at the time made a tape of our night's performance, and I listened with anticipation for a solo I had played. On stage, I thought that I had played especially well; but when I heard my solo on tape, it sounded like The Flight Of The Bumble Bee! :D

Needless to say, I made some changes in my playing afterward... :rolleyes:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Sports huh...

Okay, lets talk Pro-Bowl...aka, the Last Hurrah!

Im excited about it cause it's fotball.....the last football for a while.

Shame lots of players don't play cause of the injury fear, but I'll enjoy the ones that do.

Im so happy that AFC revcievers don't actually have to go against AFC corners....whew!! :):freak:

The other thing is that it's a total shame that Brady isn't amoung the participants. He does deserve it. Ive been hard on Brady cause Im so damn defensive about McNair. The reality is Brady & McNair should be playing vollyball together in Hawaii right this moment... Enjoy the game!

Have a good weekend ya'll! :thu:

TROLL . . . ish.

Well, at least I'm not the only one who's sick of melisma (at last, I have a name for my pain!) :D

OK, back to football.

The Pats are going to go 19-0 en route to a third super bowl in four years. Face the reality now, gents. It's going to happen.

Furthermore, the following year (and several years subsequently) the Pats will become like the Niners in the 80's - where veteran free agents are willing to sign with them for less money so they can get a shot at their own rings, and the dynasty will be in full force! :thu:

Patriot fans: always gracious in victory :D

I think the Pats really need to solidify a running game this off-season. They've got to be one of the best teams ever in the closing minutes of close games, but part of keeping in close is being able to control the ball and run it. Smith did a good job near the end of the season, but was shut down in the first half of the superbowl when they really needed him to step up and make plays and put points on the board. Carolina did a great job, but let's face it: if the Pats were playing a better team that would have really hurt them.

I think it will be an exciting year though. Belichick has really come into his own as a coach, so each week he'll be gameplanning his ass off. And each week the opposing team will be plaing the 'defending superbowl champs' so they'll be gameplanning their asses off. I wonder how many New England games I'll get down in Nashville...

So 1918 is when the the lyrics and music of the national anthem were officially put together? And 1918 is the last year the Sox have won the world series...Maybe it's not Babe Ruth's fault after all. Or maybe it wasn't the trade, it was that game the brought the Bambino out to sing the anthem and he threw all those melismas in there, pissing off the baseball Gods.

Hey Jeff, where in the world is the NHL thread? I watched the Avs-Wings game a few nights ago, the first hockey I've watched in a long time, and I was going to post my thoughts on it but I couldn't find the thread.

Hey meccajay, there's an article you might be interested in online about Steve McNair's first Pro Bowl appearance. After nine seasons, a Super Bowl, and 132 touchdown passes, this opportunity is long overdue if you ask me! Here's the link:

McNair finally invited to the party

Best,

Geoff

That's big of you, Mecca, saying Brady should be in the Pro Bowl. I think he should too, at the # 3 spot behind Manning and McNair. Those are the 3 best AFC quarterbacks (maybe the best 3 in the league), they all had great years and made the playoffs, and one of them took home the superbowl MVP. I can see Trent Green being there, with his stats and KC's record, but who do you really want behind center with the game on the line- Green or Brady?

Is this really McNair's first pro bowl? Who the heck has been going to these things? Manning probably goes every year, but who else is there? I guess Gannon has been to a few, and maybe Bledsoe or Brady. That's weird though. Neither conference is exactly overflowing with MVP-caliber quarterbacks.

I'm probably not going to get to catch much of the game, so if any of you do please keep the rest of us 'abreast' of anything interesting or exciting that happens :D

Wow, the AFC is kicking butt! :eek:

This won't seem strange to anyone who lives to the east of me; but speaking as a west coast guy, it is really an odd experience to watch a live game played during daylight elsewhere while it's nighttime where I live. :D

Best,

Geoff

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Wow, the AFC is kicking butt! :eek:

Was kicking butt... ;)

Wow, what a game! Easily the best Pro Bowl I've ever seen. Great comeback by the NFC squad, and an excellent finish...unless, of course, you're the AFC... :eek:

A fitting, exciting end to an amazing season. :cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Wow, what a game! Easily the best Pro Bowl I've ever seen. Great comeback by the NFC squad, and an excellent finish...unless, of course, you're the AFC... :eek:

A fitting, exciting end to an amazing season. :cool:

It's too bad that I missed the end - I switched to the Grammy Awards at 8:00 PM (during the fourth quarter, shortly after the NFC scored a touchdown on the play selected by the fans in an Internet poll).

I enjoyed watching Prince perform with Beyoncé in the Grammy opening though. In fact, I enjoyed both the Pro Bowl and the Grammy Awards more than usual this year! :cool:

...Now that this season is officially over, I want to add how much I enjoyed sharing it with you guys. The sports knowledge and information in this thread is impressive, but it's the attitude here that keeps me coming back. The trash talk never gets personal, and regardless of what happens with our own favorite teams, we somehow manage to have enough camaraderie to care about our fellow members' teams as well. That's a rare trait, and it's much appreciated! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

'04 Probowl = A festival of offense.

Funny McNair, Peyton, & Green combined, being outplayed by Bulger. Peyton's fumbles were one thing, but mannnnn, don't take a sack in the redzone!

Im happy for Green and company. I gotta say, seeing the NFC players 4th quarter dance on the sideline's was classic...The looks on Ray Lewis & Ty law's faces were unforgettable!

TROLL . . . ish.

Archived