Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

52 minutes ago, MaskOfInsects said:

Ok, I'm sort of spamming this thread now, but I'm lucky to have been attached to some cool original projects this past year.

This tune has a long organ feature in the second half. I recorded this take, including the solo, live at the basics sessions. But it was kind of a weird session, and the keys were an afterthought, and I offered to do a piano take also so they'd have everything they needed just in case. I had only heard/remembered the piano track until a new producer took over the tracks and found the organ pass in there. That's good news/bad news, in that the live energy is in there, but there are also a couple of warts and alls in the solo that to be honest I probably would have asked to have cleaned up if I'd heard this before they released it. But I like the vibe overall and think this whole album is worth a listen if you have the time.

Organ feature starts at 1:30.

https://joshuataylormusic.bandcamp.com/track/she-you

Very tasteful solo, but even more I love your work under the verses. Beautiful registration, and it's really the organ that's giving the entire production life under the vocals. 

Technical question: on the solo, I'm getting a slightly plasticky taste in the upper ranges. What's the organ? 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

5 hours ago, analogika said:

Very tasteful solo, but even more I love your work under the verses. Beautiful registration, and it's really the organ that's giving the entire production life under the vocals. 

Technical question: on the solo, I'm getting a slightly plasticky taste in the upper ranges. What's the organ? 

Thank you very much. That's really kind of you.

Nicely spotted: it's the NS3C and internal sim. I like this generation of Nords for organ, particularly with tweaks, but no matter what the highs still feel either slightly muted or slightly brittle. I sometimes wonder if an external mixer/EQ might help add energy back in to that highest register. 

The studio actually has an A100 and Leslie, but it wasn't set up for recording that day. 

• Like 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

22 hours ago, Dave Weiser said:

Working on songs for my second kids book that's coming in 2023, having a blast with my writing partner....

https://www.facebook.com/1004826416/videos/751062792800706/

Only just watched this @Dave Weiser, wonderful stuff :) 

Have just released my third album, The Night Attendant.

Link :) 

This one was inspired by US Poet Robert Lowell and his lifelong battle with bipolar disorder..

Cover-template3000px.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Finally finished the mix and the video for this track. 

This is from last year; our gig got cancelled on short notice, so we invited the folks to my temp studio and gave them a free show there, instead. 

I love this song; my wife thinks it‘s way too slow. 😉 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 7:20 AM, Keepitsimple said:

Music video for my recently released single "Essence".

This campaign precedes the release of my album (almost done). 

You can also stream "Essence" on all platforms: https://linktr.ee/rabihrihana

Have added this song and one of your others to the forum playlists (links in my sig) :) Do follow / like / play those playlists when you can :thu:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tusker said:

Here's a little piano tune about being thankful. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

https://on.soundcloud.com/YGVcH

That’s so beautiful! The way you seamlessly blend between modern harmony and quasi-classical sound is awesome! I got some hints of the Waldstein, was that intentional? 😀 Is that an improvisation or a composition or in between? I didn’t know you were such an accomplished pianist and composer, kudos 👏🏻

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2022 at 3:42 AM, CyberGene said:

That’s so beautiful! The way you seamlessly blend between modern harmony and quasi-classical sound is awesome!

Thank you CG! Coming from you it means a lot. The piece is a journey. The pandemic experience and the general craziness of the world is something I am still coming out from. Moving from fight and flight to a kind of peace and thanksgiving. So the structure reflects that.

On 11/25/2022 at 3:42 AM, CyberGene said:

I got some hints of the Waldstein, was that intentional? 😀 Is that an improvisation or a composition or in between? I didn’t know you were such an accomplished pianist and composer, kudos 👏🏻

I was looking for a repetitive bass "motor" and a grumpy one, lol. So I guess I ended up near Beethoven. The theme is composed and the variation is improvised and you heard that. 👍

Thanks a lot!!

• Like 1

Well, amateur group, amateur film maker, amateur recording, but this is our funk rendition of Summertime : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXbvjm2DFm0

• Like 1

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Results from tracking on Weds. Dec 21 (Winter Solstice) and mixing on Thurs. Dec 22. 

I wanted to see what could be done with NI Hypha, a synth that is currently free. I used 8 different voices, all modified presets. I like the interface, it's simple. 

I also dropped a drum loop. I messed about with everything after tracking. I only have an Xkey 25 and a Fishman Triple Play for guitar so no MIDI real time controls. Plus, I'm not really a keyboard player at all. Not sure that matters, music just is. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 3 weeks later...

A transcription and performance of Antônio Carlos Jobim's solo in Insensatez (How Insensitive), recorded by Stan Getz & Luiz Bonfá their album Jazz Samba Encore! (1963).

Jobim has a nice laid back feel which is integral to his style. The performance tries to emulate this feel.

Includes Jobim's left hand as well!

Tune done by a good friend of mine that I got to play on, (keys, bass, and drums.)

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

And, on the solo side of things, something I'm currently working on.  Needs a couple more things, but I'm liking the way it's coming out.  No title, yet...

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Total change of pace for something a little harder and darker.

The personnel of this band is basically the Angels of Libra, but with a different drummer. I joined as their live keyboardist mid last-year and was asked to sit in for the second album writing/recording session. 

First single came out last week; album is due in April.

• Like 1