Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, it feels like I haven't checked this thread for a billions years... :o lol

But if you feel differently, please feel free to check out my latest (sci-fi inspired) musical moment in a shape of a (short) composition called "A Lonely Probe". It's the first track you'd find in my "Wonderful MySpace Audio Player" at: http://www.myspace.com/vladabra

Thank you in advance!

PS. Needless to say, any comments will go strictly to my private files at SPG secret archives. :)

I am back.

I've got a few rough samples up here-

These are all rough ideas that I will probably never flesh out(let alone mix ;) ), but I thought I would share them. This is mostly older stuff but with the same hardware keys I'm using now- Roland JV-1000 and a Kurzweil K2500XS.

I recently put the KDFX in my Kurzweil and boy can you hear the difference!

I'm coming to the end of a computer build and will be working on an album for the next year(my current system can't handle the load).

Bill

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

OK, here is a track from an upcoming CD of mine, working title Simple Gifts, a collection of contemporary piano arrangements of old hymn tunes. This is called I Heard The Voice. The tune is called Kingsfold (or The Star of the County Down) and was originally collected by Vaughan Williams.

The midi data was captured on my FP-4 from a live performance and then transferred to the EXS24's Steinway patch in Logic 8. I'm currently looking at Ivory for a better sound but this Steinway has some nice bits to it.

http://www.artofpiano.co.uk/contact/

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

That was killer. I had to come back and listen twice. Tell me about the vocals....how did you record them and tell me about the efx. what plugin did that cool delay stuff? What synths were used? what's on the low end? (I almost don't wanna know those answers) and finally; how was the guitar recorded? Really great production/mix stuff.

That was killer. I had to come back and listen twice.

Thank you, Dr. Bell!

Tell me about the vocals....how did you record them and tell me about the efx. what plugin did that cool delay stuff?

I take it you meant the verse...that's double tracked. My first vocal track is processed with light chorusing and 'verb from the PowerCore, and then I did a second pass for the delay/harmony using the VC2 vocoder board in the VSynth -delay effects on that are COSM from the VSynth.

I really like the way putting reverb only on the melody vox and delay only on the harmony vox on the chorus came out...that's my buddy TC Electronics demonstrator Laura Clapp - she's really great. :thu:

What synths were used?

Phased synth strings is the MOTIF ES8. Stereo strings in the chorus is the M3. Rhodes is a QSR. Bass pad on the chorus is the PEK. Organ is the Oberheim OB5. Drums are the DM Pro.

what's on the low end?
The bass is my friend Don Schiff. He has this nasty little toy that was made for him by Emmitt Chapman and Ned Steinberger, and it's a cross between their two instruments - kind of a steinberger bass with a Chapman fretboard. I tracked it through a Groove Tubes VIPre and Manley Vari-Mu, and chorused it using a TC Electronic stereo chorus/flanger pedal.

As mentioned above, I used the PEK to blend that big ass Taurus bass thing on top of him on the chorus.

how was the guitar recorded?

Original POD. Compression after the fact with UAD-1 LA2A.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

This sounds awesome! As I understand you played all the instruments (except bass) and sang the verses, right? :o:thu:

Thanks, Vlad!

I did sing the verse and play keys 'n drums, but I did not play any of the stringed instruments, though - while I'm more than glad to play guitars live, I prefer to have people who are actually really good at it do it when I'm recording.... ;)

The electric guitar tracks were done by the guitar player in my band Dirty Pictures, and the 6 and 12 string acoustic tracks were done by my friend Mark McCrite, who plays in the Rocket Scientists with Don Schiff.

dB

Thanks for the details. Your approach to the vocals was sooo good. I get just as excited at that kind of stuff as I do about gear or keys anytime, maybe even more. You should be makin' records. I just got back into that record last spring. I was working on a project with a guitar player from Philly who played that tour with PF. You probably know him.RD? I got the dvd and watched it to see this guy play and was reminded of just how good The Wall was. I hadn't listened to it in years. You really did it justice. Great job all the way around. Blank page to finished master, bravo.

Your approach to the vocals was sooo good. I get just as excited at that kind of stuff as I do about gear or keys anytime, maybe even more.
Understood. I do as well - arranging is one of my favorite (if not absolute favorite) aspects of the recording process.

You should be makin' records.

I am - just not any that anyone wants to buy... :rolleyes:;)

I just got back into that record last spring. I was working on a project with a guitar player from Philly who played that tour with PF. You probably know him.RD?

Nope.

Great job all the way around. Blank page to finished master, bravo.

Coming from someone with your playing/producing chops, I take that as an extreme compliment. Thank you, sir!

Damn, dB, that is nice! Extremely powerful, tastefully done..

Thanks, Steve! :)

BTW: did you use ADAM monitors? ;)

Yes. Yes, I did. :D

If the truth must be told, I mixed this on my A7/Sub 10 combo instead of my S3As. I'm actually a bit surprised with how pleased I am with the results.

dB

... arranging is one of my favorite (if not absolute favorite) aspects of the recording process.

Arranging is truly my bugbear; it actually often interferes with my completing a song. I'd love it if I was any good but, boy, can I recognise a good arrangement - here the vocal treatment, especially, is bold but restrained. Man, this is good stuff, Dave, and a worthy lesson in arrangement.

[Now if only someone could show me how to make my basses and kicks play happily together in a mix ... :rolleyes::( ]

As some of you may know, I had previously threatened to start a thread where we could all listen to and critique each other's music, a la the "Is your music any good - find out here!!" thread in Dr. Anderton's forum - it's by far the most popular thread that I've seen on any of these forums. I didn't feel that it was cool for me to do so until some of my own music was available for downloading, though...

...which it now is:

Updated with new 2006 link to my music web site... ;)

dB

Comfortably numb...really like it. Great mix, great song concept and excellent match of music with lyric. The feel of the music captures the message of the lyric. Also liked the female vocals (who is that, by the way...great voice!).

Guitar lick was near perfect...understated, but carried a high emotional impact in that moment.

Excellent work!

There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those who can read binary, and those who can't.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings from Pittsburgh --

If you want to check it out....

4 band originals on myspace at www.myspace.com/erinburkettthemeanreds

Two tunes are overdubbed with Yamaha P-80 and B3/122

The other two recorded live analog on 1/2" tape

The tune "Take Me There" featured a small gospel choir, which really grabs me.

Thanks for learning more about us!

Jeff

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Jeff

I really liked the song Blade of green. Nice harmonies!

www.lifeonhold.se

Jeff

I really liked the song Blade of green. Nice harmonies!

I agree!

Next time I am in Pittsburgh I want to catch your show..

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Yea, Cliff's a bad dude. If he lived here in Vegas, I'd work him to death and enjoy doing it.

Jeff, I agree "Take me There" was great.

and misterkeyboard, welcome to the forum. I hope you'll stay here with us for a while. Really liked your music. Keep posting tunes as you guys do them. Great stuff!

http://www.divshare.com/download/2547126-6bf

http://www.divshare.com/download/2547176-9f0

http://www.divshare.com/download/2547187-f1a

http://www.divshare.com/download/2547196-543

Here are some more Beatle "de-rangements" from my vocal CD.

Can't Buy Me Love

Here Comes The Sun

She's Leaving Home

I will

Personnel is listed back on page 35.

Dave:

I'm getting error messages when I try the posted links . . .

Noah