Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Name your first "real" live concert you attended!

In honor of Lee Knight's post....

What was your first "real" concert? Not your sister's piano receital, but one where you had to wait in live, buy tickets, wait in live, sneak a beer, etc...

Mine was...

Richie Blackmore's Rainbow, on the Straight Between the Eyes Tour, 1982 @the Verdun Auditorium. Scorpians were the openning act, they were on their "Blackout" tour.

What was yours?

There is no substitute.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

er, W.A.S.P. in Bristol. Sometime after their heyday. Hey, I was young, so it must have been after their heyday for me to be allowed in :D

Well, I enjoyed it. I saw Iron Maiden shortly afterwards, just before Bruce left. Great live band...

My tastes have mellowed somewhat since then (tho the last band I saw was Velvet Revolver)...

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

My first real concert was an act that comes up often in people's "guilty pleasures" or "soft schlock song you dig" posts...

The Carpenters.

Saw 'em at Pine Knob (near Ann Arbor, Michigan)...I must have been maybe 13 or 14 years old.

My first rock and roll show (a couple years later) was Foghat, also at Pine Knob.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

1) The Romantics at the Royal Oak Music Theater on the first night of their first national tour, January 1979 (I also saw the last show of their first national tour at Pine Knob later that year).

2) A few weeks later I saw the Ramones at the Motor City Roller Rink on 9 Mile Road in Warren, Michigan.

3) A few weeks after that I saw Rush at Cobo Arena in downtown Detroit.

Seems like I had a thing for "R" bands at the time. :D

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Jerry Garcia Band in 1991 I think. I was in high-school, working at a sandwhich shop, and my buddy came in "hey man, you wanna see Jerry tonight?" my boss was a huge dead head, and he said "you're leaving work right now and going" and so I did. That's when everything changed ;)

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

Rick Wakeman solo tour, Dec. 1975....

Next concert was the 'Sunday Break' in May 1976, with Gary Wright, America, Santana, and Peter Frampton at the height of his talkbox prowess...

drfuzz

"I'm just here to regulate the funkiness"

When I was a young kid, my mother had a friend who operated a restaurant at the Wisconsin State Fair. My mother would help her out by cooking for her during the 10-day run of the fair and I would just hang out. So to set the image, picture an 8 or 9 year old kid roaming around a state fair with all the farmers, carnies, Ginsu salesmen, animals, rides, candy, etc... I got a hell of an education those summers and had a blast as well!

Anyway, one day I wandered over to the backstage area of main stage and caught the DeFranco Family. If that qualifies as a rock concert, that was my first. Being backstage, I learned about teenyboppers, roadies and groupies. Quite an experience for a little kid.

OT, can you imagine that scenario in this day and age? I look at my 8 and 12 year old sons and realize what I was doing at their age and it gives me shivvers.

My first real concert where I snuck out of the house and snuck into the show was the Eagles/Rufus/Rolling Stones at the Milwaukee County Stadium in 1975 when I was 12. I did the same thing a month or so later when Pink Floyd came through town.

Ah... the olden days!

Hmmmm....the first "show" I went to was Trooper back in '95 at the Thompson Student Centre at Memorial University. Not a big show - but fun, nonetheless.

The first "Concert" I attended was White Zombie on tour with The Ramones at Copps Colesium, Hamilton, ON. the following December. I discovered a whole new appreciation for the Ramones (and earplugs) that night.

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

California Jam at the Ontario Motor Speedway, not to far from where Phil resides. The year was 1974 and I was 14.

ELP, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Earth, Wind, and Fire, The Eagles, and tons more.

Thousands of people smoking pot. I was a Catholic School kid with my jaw dragging behind me on the ground.

A guy about my age now, walked in front of me totaly naked, tripping on acid.

The Eagles were a relatively young band circa "On The Border". They were great.

Deep Purple with Ian Paice, amazing.

ELP with the modular Moog and rotating drum riser.

E,W,and F were cool in their Egyptian get up.

The Allman Brothers Band a couple of months after they recorded the At Fillmore East... top or their form, before Duane died... in a movie theatre in Huntington, NY... June (I think?) 1971.

todd rundgren's utopia. asbury park convention center. mid 70's. half hour song, all keyboard band, prog rock period. yawn.

stupid trivia note... you can hear me and my friend mark yelling on the recording of that show (the album "utopia another live") during the quiet ballad "the wheel." we almost got our asses kicked for that by the older, serious "todd is god" fans. but hey, we were at our first concert, split a beer between us, and thought we were cool.... even crazier, i think blue oyster cult was the opener!

-d. gauss

Originally posted by rainbird:

THE BEATLES!!!! In...OK, I'm dating myself, but so what - 1964!!!

and I've never gotten over it.

:eek::eek:WE'RE NOT WORTHY, WE'RE NOT WORTHY :eek::eek:

1) Dickey Betts and Great Southern sometime in the mid 70s in NY state. I was 5 or 6.

2) Neil Young during his country phase sometime around '83 or '84. I went with my dad who is a big Neil Young fan. The Judds opened and sucked. Neil Young sucked. My dad was really dissapointed and we left before the concert ended.

3) Numerous all-ages hardcore and "alternative" shows.

4) Stevie Ray Vaughn at the Halifax Metro Center in 1988. I had a choice between studying for a French test or going to the show. I failed the test and am glad I did.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I believe mine was Hendrix at MSG/NYC (I think it was 1969- but would have to confirm).

I was 15.

It was a revolving stage/in the round.

It was sooo loud that all the cops standing around the stage covered their ears as the stage rolled around and the amps hit them straight on.

I think the opener was "Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys".

Not a bad start to a concert-going career.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Originally posted by Kendrix:

I believe mine was Hendrix at MSG/NYC (I think it was 1969- but would have to confirm).

I was 15.

It was a revolving stage/in the round.

It was sooo loud that all the cops standing around the stage covered their ears as the stage rolled around and the amps hit them straight on.

I think the opener was "Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys".

Not a bad start to a concert-going career.

I must say again, :eek:WE'RE NOT WORTHY, WE'RE NOT WORTHY :eek:

Archived