Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Name your first "real" live concert you attended!

- Supertramp

- Edinburg, Scotland

- Age 15

- Circa 1974

No other concert has ever matched the excitement I felt that night. That's what got me hooked on playing music. Well, that and my brother's supscription to Melody Maker.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vanilla Fudge, in Greensboro, NC the winter of 1969 in a fairly small auditorium on the UNC-G campus. That was the first pro band that I ever saw live. It seemed especially cool to be there because they had been on the Ed Sulivan show just the week before. It was SO FAR beyond the garage bands in Winston-Salem...

I remember all the concerts from way back, but I'm a little fuzzy on the order...but we were in Tulsa, I was a high school sophomore, and it was either late '68 or early '69...I think it was The Animals on their Sky Pilot tour. I was a little disappointed 'cause I really prefered the slightly older Animals R&B-based material, rather than the newer hippie-tinged, big production sort of stuff. Warmup band was Three Dog Night, right at the beginning of their career. Three Dog Night was impressive -especially the B3 and the drummer - lots of energy in that band.

Or it was the Steppenwolf concert in some totally overcrowded Tulsa union hall or other...short concert, no warmup band, no chairs, too many police, lousy sound system...(but the B3 sounded great!).

One of those was the first...

M Peasley

Well, the first concert I went to see was 'Rare Earth' sometime in the early 70s. Thing is, 'Parliment Funkadelic' opened for em. What an inituation into live music. Songs like 'Mental Masturbation,' and 'They call my baby p.u.s.s.y.' were pretty wild, not to mention their attire and stage antics.

My first concert? When I was just starting to take guitar lessons, my grandparents took me to see Tom Croce opening for Jose Feliciano. Tom was ok; Jose was great!!!! Detuning while he was playing; whipped out an electric to play "Purple Haze"! This was 1981, I think.

First "Real" rock concert- I'm not sure which came first, but either David Gilmour on his solo tour for "About Face" or the Police on the "Synchronicity" tour. Loved Gilmour- the band that was supposed to open (Icicle Works? Why am I suddenly remembering this?)had a death in the family and had to go back to England; so Dave came out, apologized, and said he'd play an opening set- mostly Floyd stuff! What a great guy! As for the Police- they had this "hot new indie band" opening for them- REM. I saw they were playing Rickenbachers, and said "They must be good!" Wrong!!! Haven't liked them since, but not just because of that concert. Police were pretty good, too. I remember Stewart Copeland being a goof yet playing his butt off.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

1965 ... Fort Worth, TX ... 4 groups:

First up: Dino, Desi, & Billy. :freak:

Second act: Paul Revere and the Raiders (at age 13, I was a big fan, and they did all their hits ... I had all their singles).

Third group: Buffalo Springfield (I didn't really know them, but this show made me a fan. I remember their western outfits with all the leather fringe and their jangly guitar sound. I loved when Neil Young did "Mr. Soul." And of course they did their hit "For What It's Worth.").

Headliner: The Beach Boys :thu: (These guys were in their prime and put on a perfect show.)

It was cool way back when they would have lots of groups at any given concert. You get that now at some festival-like tours, but usually it is one or two groups these days.

Elvis Presley - 1974, Charlotte Coliseum.

I've never heard a crowd scream louder. The instant he appeared was like one big flashbulb and an instantaneous shriek that was like nothing I have ever experienced before or since.

Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

My first concert was Bob Dylan, at the Baltimore Civic Center, in October of 1965. Went with my parents, who were big fans. It was Dylan's Highway '61 Revisited tour, the first with The Band backing him up.

Shakti / Weather Report at the Kennedy Center!
I was there also. I believe it was around 1970. What an awesome show!

My gear: http://fendercaster.freeservers.com/guit3.html

If you own two Lexus cars, do you have Lexi?

My first concert I remember paying for was the Frost in the Owosso, Michigan Armory (1968?)

I remember seeing Paul Revere and the Raiders and the Fifth Dimension at the Michigan State Fair, 1966??

First major concert I remember driving any distance to was at Detroit Cobo Arena (1971?):

Headliner: Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

Opening act: Some bloke named John McLaughlin and his Mahavishnu Orchestra.....

Remember it to this day--what an awesome show! :thu:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show at the UC Riverside gym in 1974. I was in 8th grade and it was very much an adult show (this was before they went...um...soft).

My second concert was supposed to be Van Morisson at the same venue but I was sick and my mom kept me home. :( Damn!

this house is empty now...

Jimi Hendrix 1968 Woolsey Hall Yale. Second show. Row 5. Terry Reid opened for him. The first concert I ever went to. Also the besL Less then a year later, I saw a relatively unknow Led Zep promoting their first album in Wallingford, CT in a theater in the round. Good, but not as good as Jimi.

KB Gunn

....government is a necessary evil, but it is dangerous nonetheless ... somewhat like a drug. Just as a drug that in the proper dosage can save your life, an overdose of government can be fatal.

-Neal Boortz

Very first show: Dad took me to see James Taylor in 1978.

First show with friends and no parents: Cheap Trick, 1981.

First show that I drank too much malt liquor with my friend and threw up in his sister's boyfriend's Jeep: Van Halen, 1981

First non-arena show: Big Country at the Palladium in Hollyweird, 1981.

First show where I made out with a girl I met in the parking lot: Stones, 1982

First Dead show: 1983

I think that's all my firsts.

- Jeff

First concert ever - Alon Olearchick

First American concert - Huey Lewis and the News

First concert I admitted to going to - Boston

First concert where I got totally ripped - Motley Crue(?)

First concert where I made out with a sweaty shirtless stranger - Love and Rockets

First concert where I got to meet the band after - Faith No More

(It was actually Billy Idol, but I went to see FNM so I left when they did)

Blue Oyster Cult and Nektar in St.Louis. About '74, I guess. First acid trip. I held on to my seat all night. The light show tried to suck me out of my seat and over the railing.

Good times....

Remember the future.....

James Gang. Joe Walsh was unbelievable... There was a band from NYC that was supposed to open for them but due to a drug bust back in NYC, only 2 of the members actually made the trip so they jammed with Joe and James Gang instead. One of the other band members was a violin player and he and Joe kept trading lead riffs back and forth and then mirroring them back and forth... That was seriously cool to watch!!
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

Gregg Allman played my high school freshman year while Cher watched from the side (how surreal is that?).

First paying concert: Sha Na Na with my Dad at the CNE (hey, I loved 50s music back in high school - still do).

First concert with friends, no parents: Rush on the "Permanent Waves" tour.

First concerts I had tickets to that I couldn't go to: Both circa 1980 - Ted Nugent/the Scorpions/Def Leppard (show was cancelled) and Led Zeppelin (Bonzo died).

Mine was Sammy Hagar (Quater Flash opened) at the Orange Show in San Berdoo. I do remember Cal Jam but was too young to go according to my parents....I was 7. Did go to the US Festival in 1982.

Chris Groegler

Sound Designer,

Red Storm Entertainment

I'll start out with a concert or two that I MISSED:

The Beatles-in Philadelphia, 1964, (I think) A girl from Philly I met called me up and asked me if I wanted to go see "The Beatles", she had tickets. I did NOT like this girl, so I said NO. DUH, double DUH. What an idiot. :eek:

My sister lived in Flushing, NY right by Shea Stadium in 1965 when they did their concert there. She TRIED to get tickets, but it was sold out. So we "listened" to the concert from her balcony. Mostly SCREAMING was what we heard. I do remember hearing "I'm down". I could hear the VOX organ sliding up and down the keyboard in the background behind all the freakin' screaming. That place was an ANT HILL for hours after the show was over. Biggest traffic jam I ever saw, until I went to LA a few years later.

I'll stop there, for now. I'm still pissed off about never getting to see the Beatles. :(

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

1) Dickey Betts and Great Southern sometime in the mid 70s in NY state. I was 5 or 6.

Would that have been at the Hudson Valley Winery, on a field overlooking the Hudson river? If so, it was one of my first 10 or 15 concerts too. I got hit in the head with an empty Matt's beer ball and had no idea what it was.

As far as I can recollect, my first concert was Orleans in '75 or '76, at the Main Building auditorium at SUNY New Paltz. They were my favorite band at the time, so it was pretty transcendent experience. The second concert, maybe a month later, was Sea Level and NRBQ, in the same room (as Orleans, that is).

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by forceman:

My first concert I remember paying for was the Frost in the Owosso, Michigan Armory (1968?)

What a great band! :thu:

I always loved "Rock and Roll Music." I wish I could find a copy of the Michigan Homegrown album that featured the Frost, Stooges, MC5, Mitch Ryder, etc.... :(

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

My 1st was Black Sabbath (when Paranoid was released). The opening acts were Yes and Wild Turkey.

My 2nd was Alice Cooper (School's Out). The opening acts were Captain Beyond and Jo Jo Gunne.

Institute Of Musical Misbehavior

Archived