Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Name your first "real" live concert you attended!

Oh yeah, my first concert was STYX in 1978 with Trooper opening up. I was 13 at the time.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dwarf:

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

How many of you LA people saw the Police on the Synchronicity tour play at Hollywood Park race track in 1983? The Thompson Twins, Berlin and the Fixx were the opening bands.

It was the first and last concert there. Totally trashed the place.

Good times.

- Jeff

Jeff, you have my condolences. You should have seen The Police in Montreal on that tour:

The first act was this unknown guy who had just turned down an offer from David Bowie in order to go solo. His name was Stevie Ray Vaughan.

The second act was this wierd Jamaican dude named Peter Tosh :)

The last act before The Police was this quirky New York band that called themselves The Talking Heads. They were pretty good too :)

--

Rob

Who?? Never heard of any of them.

I hate you.

:)

Seriously, what an awesome lineup! :thu:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Originally posted by forceman:

Who?? Never heard of any of them.

Unknowns, all of them. I sometimes wonder what happened to that Stevie guy, he looked like he might have been an ok guitar player.

I hate you.

Yeah, me too.

:)

Seriously, what an awesome lineup! :thu:

The original lineup featured Simple Minds instead of Stevie but for some reason the switch was made a couple of weeks prior to the show.

Peter Tosh was pissed off because he thought that he was going on right before The Police and he wasn't happy when that spot went to the Talking Heads.

But yeah, it was an awesome show.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

mine was jimi hendrix, shreveport, la, july 1968. wow.

i was 16 when i went to see led zeppelin in dallas, tx, in jan 1969. unbelieveable...

when i went off to LSU in 1970, best friend was pres of the student union and got me front tickets to almost everything in the colosseum - i was mesmerized by ian anderson (jethro tull), and especially by Yes, among many others. saw steely dan when micheal mcdonald was with them early on - nobody even knew who they were. sat on the front row of a very intimate venue watching jackson browne playing solo after his opening act, the doobie bros (doobs were just off the street then).

heady days.

jnorman

sunridge studios

salem, oregon

1969 - The Cleveland Music Hall - I was 14 and in the 10th row. The opening act was The James Gang with Joe Walsh - then there was James Taylor - all by himself, it was just before Fire and Rain came out, and he was playing acoustic guitars and singing - I remember him doing Steamroller and Sweet Baby James.

The headliners had just played Woodstock a few weeks earlier - The Who. They had the same wardrobe and stuff you see on the Woodstock film. They played a great set, then for the encore they played most of Tommy!

- Calfee Jones

In the same week, my I saw Pablo Cruise :rolleyes: and Heart.

Not sure of the exact date, but those 2 band names and the fact that they were both touring on new material should help place the timeframe. :)

I preferred the Heart show. :D

But the Cruise show was the first place I saw a guitar wireless transmitter, so it was, at least, a learning experience.

And they were not bad, actually.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by InstituteOfNoise:

Jeff, ya mean you missed The Police at Madame Wongs West in '81? Their first time thru LA.

So funny you should mention that. I had just started getting into the Police and wanted to go to that show, but couldn't... I was 13. Madame Wong's had some age limits, being a bar. I was bummed at he time.

So the one and only time I saw them was at the Hollywood Park show mentioned above.

- Jeff

Very first concert - L.A. Philharmonic - Tchaikovsky. "1812" Overture at the Hollywood Bowl - conducted by Zubin Mehta (my dad took me, I was 10)

First rock concert - Kiss, at the Fabulous Forum in 1977 (the L.A. dates that they recorded "Kiss Alive II") Also with my dad and younger brother, I was 14.

First concert going on my own... we moved to Seattle in the summer of 1980, and that summer was amazing, as far as concerts go. I saw (in no particular order) Van Halen, Journey, Heart, Chuck Berry, The Tubes, Blue Oyster Cult, Foreigner, Ahmad Jamal, Edie Brickell and New Bohemians, Yes, and I'm sure I'm leaving out a few.

At venues like the old Seattle Coliseum, the Paramount Theater, Jazz Alley, and a couple big "all-day multi band things at the Kingdome.

Plus, it wasn't long after that that festival seating was pretty much a thing of the past.

Ah, to be seventeen again...

Now that I think of it, we moved right before I could go with all my high school friends to see The Who at the L.A.Sports Arena on June 23rd, 1980 (We moved on the 20th...ouch.)

I think the fact that I never let my folks hear the end of it re: missing the Who concert, they let me go to every show I wanted to up in Seattle the rest of that year.

Plus, I eventually got to see The Who in 1982(Kenny Jones-good) and 1988(Simon Phillips-better).

Originally posted by InstituteOfNoise:

Jeff, ya mean you missed The Police at Madame Wongs West in '81? Their first time thru LA.

It had to have been before '81, I saw them at The Hollywood Palladium in '79, Santa barbara in '80, and The Forum in '81 or '82 (Ghost tour).

Archived