Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lachy Doley Tour

Been watching Lachy’s periodic tour reports recorded from his hotel rooms concerning his present tour of North America. He is self-managing and promoting this tour and is quite honest about the issues that he is facing with all the problems with merchandise being held up in customs, finding backlines for his band, and other nightmares that are typical of touring. 

For anyone trying to survive in this business, these videos from his hotel rooms are eye-opening. You really need drive and passion to survive this crazy business.

I am sad that I will miss his show at The Troubadour in LA as I have a gig that night as well. But I wish him and his band the best of luck for the remainder of his tour. He puts on an amazing show and I wish him and his comrades the best. 

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

On 7/3/2024 at 3:06 PM, HammondDave said:

He is self-managing and promoting this tour and is quite honest about the issues that he is facing with all the problems with merchandise being held up in customs, finding backlines for his band, and other nightmares that are typical of touring. 

Does he not have a tour manager? I would find it hard enough getting into a good headspace for a gig after hours of travelling, let alone think about the fact I need to find a 4x10 bass cab when I land...

Cheers, Mike.

Tumbs up, hope he have some great shows.

It is not easy or cheap to travel and play in US if you’re living on the other side of the world.

One channel I am following with the UK based guitarist Chris Buck tells about it in this video :

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

Costs are up everywhere. I just got back from a big UK tour (big to me anyway - my first and probably last tour where our gear and lights needed a tractor-trailer). Sold out, or close to sold out shows at the biggest concert halls - Albert Hall, Usher Hall in Edinburgh, etc. Happy promoters celebrating us with bottles of scotch and plaques. Not gonna go into details but the final figures did not line up with this image. The expenses were higher than usual but from what I was told, UK taxes were the main reason for this. 

Of course the USA isn’t that great for touring musicians either. Since the pandemic, hotels, air fares and vehicle rental prices have in some cases doubled from their pre-pandemic levels. It’s getting much harder for anyone to tour these days - unless you’re Taylor Swift!

• Like 3

Searching YT and I can't find any of these tour reports from Lachey Doley. Where did you find them?

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

2 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

Searching YT and I can't find any of these tour reports from Lachey Doley. Where did you find them?

Facebook.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

2 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

31 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

Facebook.

As for me, I have been on his mailing list for many years now. 

:nopity:

I heard him at the Waterfront Blues festival on Thursday.....with his own band and later as a sideman with vocalist Jade Macrae and  guitarist Kirk Fletcher .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

The musical style was pedal to the metal for most part. Lachy seems to have a grip on how to make a Hammond sound exciting and he has a lot going regarding use of drawbars and coaxing unique sounds out of his instrument. He was obviously pumped to be doing his first American tour and he was in front of a large crowd of approximately 5000 or so people.                                                                                                                                                                                                                      The thing that concerned me was that the material was not all that intriguing. When a band is relying on doing Voodoo Child ( loud version ) it is just reminding me too much of all the times I have heard bands fall back on this and once again purely pedal to the metal. It was also announced before the set that we would be hearing. ,the ,"Jimi Hendrix of the Hammond organ "....which was not even close and  I would wonder whose idea it was to announce him as that?                                                                                                                                                       What really got my attention was the set he did with Jade Macrae and Kirk Fletcher. Jade is an excellent vocalist and her material was well suited to the blues festival. In this environment Lachy played very tastefully and his Hammond sounds did much to enhance this set. After I heard his band I was wondering what he would do in a less "urgent" environment and to my surprise he showed up in a later set of just that.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        It seems to me that the Lachy Doley Band aim is to to knock your socks off, take no prisoners etc etc.It was refreshing to know that there is more to him than that but please.....lose the Jimi Hendrix of the organ billing ASAP 

• Like 1

the ‘Jimi Hendrix of the organ’ thing is a quote from a critic’s review way back, he didn’t write it.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

If I got on this forum and tried to tell you guys that I think that I am the Jimi Hendrix of the organ I would hope that you would find a way to make me stop. Somebody....assuming this guy doesn't have a tour manager handed that statement for the MC to read. Doley had to have been aware of it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Maybe I should have noticed Hammond Dave's comment about him putting on quite  a  show..... I guess I don't care much these days about what kind of show you have I am mostly concerned about the music. Quite honestly there hasn't been much in the thirty or so plus years at the blues festival that would fall under the category of being about show.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 It has been said that at the end of Hendrix career that he had tired of his past on stage antics and he just wanted to play....ala Band of Gypsies and his Rainbow bridge performance. I do think Lachy Doley does have a lot to offer but at that gig it seemed that he was overcompensating to get over to the large crowd. I liked him more in a sideman role which I was fortunate enough to hear later that day.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I drove down to Brooklyn from Massachusetts to catch his show a few weeks ago. We had a great time. Yes, voodoo child is a bit boring for me to listen to also.  But it certainly is fun watching him do the castlebar clavinet thing. I love his B3 sound, enjoy his original tunes and he is a great showman. 

• Like 1

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

One of the bands I sit in with from time to time asked me about a week ago if I could be available for a blues festival up in Chippewa, this Thursday, main stage...

I just realized that I'm going to be closing for Lachy.

• Cool 1
  • Love 1