Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

STAX: Soulsville U.S.A.

A new docuseries on Stax is airing on HBO right now. I'm a few episodes in and really enjoying it. Definitely worth a watch if you dig this era of music!

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

When I got into playing music it was songs from Stax that I learned on from Booker T & MGs Green Onions, Sam & Dave, Otis Redding, Eddie Floyd, and on.   After that came Motown and Atlantic Records for me.

• Like 3

I loved this series. There are 4 episodes and each is interesting in its own way. This was my rock/soul/R&B youth, the music I learned to play in a band. Booker T, Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn, Rufus Thomas, Otis Redding, Sam and Dave, Isaac Hayes.

• Like 2
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Saw it when it first premiered. Loved it!

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

3 hours ago, SteveNathan said:

I was amused to see they chose “I’ll Take You There” by the Staple Singers as the theme song. The Staples do have ties to Stax, but that record was cut with Muscle Shoals musicians. 

Yeah, suppose they could’ve chosen something more representative of their in house musicians but in fairness, the docuseries does focus quite a bit on the label and the owners/employees so as a Stax release it does seem fair game. 

14 minutes ago, CrossRhodes said:

Yeah, suppose they could’ve chosen something more representative of their in house musicians but in fairness, the docuseries does focus quite a bit on the label and the owners/employees so as a Stax release it does seem fair game. 

My feeling is it ignores the fact that Cropper, Duck, Al, Booker, etc are a huge part of why Stax records were so successful. With so many great records to choose from, their choice shows the producers of the Doc were ignorant of the significance, & as is often the case, the musicians are overlooked. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SteveNathan said:

My feeling is it ignores the fact that Cropper, Duck, Al, Booker, etc are a huge part of why Stax records were so successful. With so many great records to choose from, their choice shows the producers of the Doc were ignorant of the significance, & as is often the case, the musicians are overlooked. 

Musicians were overlooked back then too. Imagine if all musicians were fully credited on all songs they played. And received royalties for melodies they wrote like I believe the UK does now. Our recollection of these records would be very different. 

FunMachine.

13 minutes ago, SteveNathan said:

Have you watched it yet or just don’t like the trailer? There’s a lot of focus on the musicians and plenty of interviews with Cropper, Booker T etc. It really is an enjoyable watch. I wouldn’t let the song choice in the trailer put you off of checking it out.

• Like 1

I enjoyed it a lot although the focus starts more with the music and increasingly is on politics and business shenanigans as it goes on.  Obviously those things are important historically and as part of the story of Stax.  But no William Bell?  No mention of the failure in promoting one of the most influential non-soul acts Big Star.  Would have liked more coverage of the actual music.  

But still worthwhile 

• Like 2

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

4 hours ago, CrossRhodes said:

Have you watched it yet or just don’t like the trailer? There’s a lot of focus on the musicians and plenty of interviews with Cropper, Booker T etc. It really is an enjoyable watch. I wouldn’t let the song choice in the trailer put you off of checking it out.

Yes I have watched it & enjoyed it, and yes there’s plenty of interview time for Steve & Booker.  The Staples song leads off every episode. It’s not just in the trailer, & it tells me the Doc producers probably loved the artist & records but lacked depth in their understanding of just how those records got made & who made them special. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveNathan said:

Yes I have watched it & enjoyed it, and yes there’s plenty of interview time for Steve & Booker.  The Staples song leads off every episode. It’s not just in the trailer, & it tells me the Doc producers probably loved the artist & records but lacked depth in their understanding of just how those records got made & who made them special. 

I've been watching some of the reaction Youtubes and seems like once people today look back about 20-25 years everything past that starts blurring together.   They never seem to look up actual years something was done a decade is as close enough.  

19 minutes ago, Docbop said:

I've been watching some of the reaction Youtubes and seems like once people today look back about 20-25 years everything past that starts blurring together.   They never seem to look up actual years something was done a decade is as close enough.  

In the 70s I wouldn't have been able to tell you about music in the 1940s. Even the 1950s was vague except for Elvis. I know more about that era now but only because I got old and interested in old stuff like old movies and old music. 

FunMachine.

21 hours ago, SteveNathan said:

My feeling is it ignores the fact that Cropper, Duck, Al, Booker, etc are a huge part of why Stax records were so successful.

21 hours ago, CrossRhodes said:

There’s a lot of focus on the musicians and plenty of interviews with Cropper, Booker T etc. 

16 hours ago, SteveNathan said:

... yes there’s plenty of interview time for Steve & Booker.  ... the Doc producers probably loved the artist & records but lacked depth in their understanding of just how those records got made & who made them special. 

The 1st episode focuses on the musicians who made those records, especially Booker T and Steve Cropper. I think those 2 are featured mainly because they're still alive. The great drummer Al Jackson Jr. died in 1975. Duck Dunn died in 2012. Otis Redding died in 1967 (plane crash in Madison, Wisconsin, where I used to live). Rufus Thomas died in 2001. Isaac Hayes died in 2008. Dave Prater of Sam and Dave died in 1988, Sam Moore is still alive at age 88. You could do a documentary episode on each of these individually -- the people who made soul music and Memphis R&B.

The later episodes focus more on what happened to Stax as a company and business, politics, racism, etc. 

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I saw it a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. I particularly liked the social elements they drew out, which I never fully knew about, even as I played that Wattstax record into dust. 

To put an even finer point on what @SteveNathan is saying, when I heard that Staples Singers tune on the credits, I literally thought to myself, "Oh, I didn't realize they were Stax." It made me decide that they were even though I didn't previously think it was true. So it had the exact effect Steve is saying, at least in my case.

On the flip side, I thought the living Stax folks, musicians and otherwise, were given extensive and respectful coverage, and I started recommending the doc to folks I thought might be interested as soon as I watched it. 

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com