Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Most authentic organ clone (2 manual)

I have played a real Hammond B3 and A100 as well as a Hammond Xk3 and Viscount solo. Been thinking about replacing my Viscount solo with a 2 manual organ clone and would like to hear what everyone recommends. Right now I use the Viscount solo through a leslie preamp into a 145 leslie. I also have the opportunity to take a used A102 and convert it to a chop as well but I am not sure I want to carry that weight but I'm open depending on the chop design I suppose. Not sure the cost of that as well, it was just an idea.

The following are keyboards I have thought about but havent played:

1. Viscount 251

2. Mag C2

3. Crumar Mojo classic

4. Hammond XK5

5. Nord C2

6. HX3

6 Possible chop?

Budget would be $5000

Mag C2 has the same engine as the HX3 which is just a module.

I think the Nord C2 is discontinued, but regardless most people would agree that it’s the weakest clonewheel on your list.

I have a Hammond SKXpro, but if i didn’t need the extra sounds I’d go a Mag C2 - I do have an HX3 and to my ears it just sounds and plays right out of the box.  I think the Viscount is a little sterile, probably due to weak overdrive, but if you’re going into a preamp and then a 145 this won’t be a concern.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

10 hours ago, niacin said:

if you’re going into a preamp and then a 145 this won’t be a concern.

The preamp only serves to allow the hookup to the 145, it does not impact the 'sound' itself.

My thought on the topic was that if the the user has access to a  A102, rather than 'chop' it i would work with a tech to convert the AO28 in the A102 to be used in line with ANY clone mentioned above ( clone output -> AO28 -> 145).  I think the Viscount has an effects loop so this would be even better, effect send to AO28 to effect in. You will then notice that the Viscount is no longer sterile sounding especially if you're going through a tube leslie like a 145.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I have never seen or heard of someone doing that Delaware Dave. So in essence take out the A028 and work with a tech to have it be used with a clone. Maybe that would be a good idea. Have you heard any examples of someone doing this? Cool idea

I still am wondering what MAG organ did with their HX3 based engine to make people love them so much.  I am tempted to get my old HX3 out again at least because I have a new speaker system and have gotten at least the sim in my Legend Live to sound better.  For 5 grand I would consider at least consider  using a Leslie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrk7421 said:

I still am wondering what MAG organ did with their HX3 based engine to make people love them so much.  I am tempted to get my old HX3 out again at least because I have a new speaker system and have gotten at least the sim in my Legend Live to sound better.  For 5 grand I would consider at least consider  using a Leslie.

MAG is a full organ, and they've built the physical machine around the HX3, which is just an engine, available either just as a circuit board, or you can also buy it as a half rack-ish midi module (I use this). Actually you can even buy HX3 as an XB2 retrofit kit if you have one of those that died on you (common), that will replace the dead engine in the XB2 and give it a new (and better sounding) life!

So I guess the MAG love comes from the full solution...

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

How is the reliability of the Crumar? I know they had quality control issues in the past. Has that been cleaned up now?

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

40 minutes ago, analogman1 said:

How is the reliability of the Crumar? I know they had quality control issues in the past. Has that been cleaned up now?

Support is reacting quickly. I had an issue that was sorted via the dealer ( Thomann). Since then no problems on stage and in the studio.

• Like 1

A chop isn't a clone though. It's vintage made more portable, usually some sweet features added.
Clones a hopeful snapshot of a particular organ (which is great too, they have a place)

Only reason to chop a perfectly fine organ was so it would fit in a Silver Eagle cargo bay.   Never handled a chop that was easier to move than a stock organ on ROKs. 

• Like 3

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

3 hours ago, mrk7421 said:

I still am wondering what MAG organ did with their HX3 based engine to make people love them so much. 

Its a hardware solution vs. software. For some you hear about little to zero latency or more immediacy. I dont notice any latency with VB3 or even my Kurz's KB3.

4 hours ago, bachsteady said:

I have never seen or heard of someone doing that Delaware Dave. So in essence take out the A028 and work with a tech to have it be used with a clone. Maybe that would be a good idea. Have you heard any examples of someone doing this? Cool idea

Yes, I know one person who has done this.  He gigs with this contraption and an external leslie. The AO28 has to come before the leslie sim/external leslie.  In the case of the Viscount there is an advantage in that there is an effects loop so you can insert it into the effects loop pre-leslie and still use the internal leslie or an external leslie.  I tapped both VB3 and my Voce into the AO28's input of my B3 and out my 122, you can hear the difference. More analog sounding and fatter. Sounds "tubey".

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

2 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:

Its a hardware solution vs. software.

I assume the MAG organs have the beds connected right on to the HX3 circuitry, no MIDI board inbetween, this (I've heard) is supposed to give a quicker response, no 1st hand experience of it though, I am sure someone here has.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

I once again would really like to know what is up with the MAG. I have access to hearing the HX3.6

because I introduced Christian at Keyboard partner to Michael McIntosh who is doing HX3 related service work as well as service for Crumar ,Viscount Hammond Suzuki etc  ,.....................................The last time he had a HX3.6 

I went up there and.....that thing was complicated.Even though I own as HX3 I couldn't get to first base trying to set up split mode,CV settings and parameters to use the Leslie sim.I know the HX3 pretty well but this was such.a different animal set up wise I struck out

As far as using a Hammond preamp with a clonewheel I have done it. Except I used the preamp from a C2/ B2. They can be found from time to time and are much more simple to deal with and in my opinion sound better too. When they show up also much more affordable.

i recently saw brian charette live. he played a Hammond SK2 with internal leslie through two floor monitors. the organ sound was excellent, quite amazing. so it doesn't always have to be the latest model to sound authentic. 

• Like 2

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

7 hours ago, mrk7421 said:

I once again would really like to know what is up with the MAG. I have access to hearing the HX3.6

because I introduced Christian at Keyboard partner to Michael McIntosh who is doing HX3 related service work as well as service for Crumar ,Viscount Hammond Suzuki etc  ,.....................................The last time he had a HX3.6 

I went up there and.....that thing was complicated.Even though I own as HX3 I couldn't get to first base trying to set up split mode,CV settings and parameters to use the Leslie sim.I know the HX3 pretty well but this was such.a different animal set up wise I struck out

It is super easy with the settings, the buttons on the front to navigate to the right parameter, and the knob to set the value, and to save just press the knob and keep it pressed for a cpl of seconds.

I have one preset set up for split, and one for full keyboard, and the rest I control in real time with my B4D drawbar controller and some faders and buttons on my midi keyboard (for overdrive and reverb settings).

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

On 5/12/2024 at 1:36 PM, mrk7421 said:

i believe the MAG uses their own preamp circuitry combined with the HX3 board . i've played on one direct through headphones and compared to my two HX3 

organs it does have an edge .  that and an impressive built quality ( fit and finish is better than anything out there , IMO ) is why all the love . and the vintage vibe

is amazing , a lot like sitting in front of some brand new '60s console .

• Like 1