Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two-manual clone wheels. How portable are they? Which one to buy?

For those of you who have a Crumar Mojo Classic, Viscount Legend Soul 261 or Hammond SKX Pro: are they painless to bring to a gig? Or do you find yourself leaving them at home and bringing something smaller like a Nord/Yamaha/etc? Is the Mojo suitcase much of an advantage over the others in a carrying case with shoulder strap?

I'm not a big fan of hauling my 60 lb Vintage Vibe to gigs, and I'm not sure how much different a 40 lb organ would be. With the Vibe it's not just the weight and awkwardness of carrying it, but screwing and unscrewing the legs that gets annoying. At least that wouldn't be a factor with an organ, and at least 61 keys would be a little easier to physically hold than 73.

Did any of you find ways to try these before buying? There are retailers in my state that have models available on their website (Full Compas, Kraft), but neither have an actual store open to the public. I may have to base my decision entirely on YouTube videos.

The prices I see are Crumar Mojo $2,460 at Sweetwater, Viscount Soul $3,380 shipped from Thomann, and Hammond SKX Pro $4,000 pretty much everywhere. Am I getting more for my money if I spring for the pricier models?

Yamaha CP73, Prophet 6, Moog Grandmother, Vintage Vibe Deluxe 73

I have a Hammond XK3c with extra manual. It comes apart, but at my age I would not want to carry it anywhere. Now in my 20's I would have loaded it and my RD-2000 without any thought. I hate the overdrive on the XK3c so I keep the Leslie effects turned off an use a Ventalator 2 Pro.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

i'm cheap, and i hate carrying heavy stuff.  if i had to have 2 manuals (i don't), i'd get a lightweight 2-tier stand, an ipad with VB3II or B3X, and two used yamaha ck-61's. 

Play the SKx live.  It is more portable than half of my XK-33c rig. (XK3c).  If you want it to ride above an 88 then the big question is what to use as an upper tier.  I use this and it works great.   

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZStd2Tier--on-stage-stands-ks7365-ej-pro-heavy-duty-folding-z-stand-with-2nd-tier

Otherwise I setup in an L.  The Mojo should work as well as the SKx.   

IMG_2556.jpeg

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

1 hour ago, adamcz said:

With the Vibe it's not just the weight and awkwardness of carrying it, but screwing and unscrewing the legs that gets annoying.

Maybe forego the "vintage vibe" of the legs, and put it on a regular stand instead?

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Mojo 61 w/ the optional lower manual  This way you can have the option of using either the single manual or a dual manual for gigging and comes in two easy to carry pieces.  It's also less expensive than a dual manual mojo.  mojo 61, 25 pounds; separate lower manual, 17 pounds.  Neither one is back breaker.

https://www.altomusic.com/products/crumar-mojo61b-lower-manual-for-mojo-61-mojo61lower?variant=46177065238811&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiMmwBhDmARIsABeQ7xSEowZakNFAjOQwIrbrPbGaWqTBZZ2Oq67El2Wb2VQNYdilhFMo7SwaAoSFEALw_wcB

• Like 4

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I take my Crumar Mojo Classic to gigs. I got a very light hard case for it, but regret the configuration I chose. Today I would opt for multiple handles and build in wheels. I have to get it out of my basement for gigs. First I put the open case in the car trunk and take the Crumar upstairs into the case. It is easy to carry without a case, rather lightweight and very compact. On gig locations theres always someone to help. And I got a small roller cart with me as well. 

That being said, if the gig is not very heavy organ specific, lately I only take a Nord Stage compact out.

I’ve been researching for a while to finally replace my 11 year old VR09. Delaware Dave nailed what I’ve decided on when I get the funds together: Mojo 61 with the optional lower manual. Still gotta figure out the case sitch, though.

I use an old Nord C-1 with the Ocean Beach drawbars and PK27 pedals through a Yorkville Blok100/Leslie 2101 for big money organ gigs. Custom made wheeled hard case for the organ, bag for the pedals and a Rok-N- Roller cart hauls it all. These gigs happen once a year or so.

Otherwise B3X on an iPad mini with an Arturia Keylab Mk.II and one or two QSC K12-2’s is my standard haul.

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

2 hours ago, brenner13 said:

I’ve been researching for a while. Delaware Dave nailed what I’ve decided on when I get the funds together: Mojo 61 with the optional lower manual. Still gotta figure out the case sitch, though.

Look for a used voce midi drawbar unit (version 2). This version has the main/aux switch, when set to aux the cc's change from transmitting 12-20 to 21-29. 21 to 29 is what the lower drawbars on the mojo 61 need to receive in order to be controlled via Midi. Velcro it to the mojo 61 and instant dual drawbar control without having to constantly hit the upper/lower drawbar switch on the mojo 61.

• Like 3

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

3 hours ago, RABid said:

I have a Hammond XK3c with extra manual. It comes apart, but at my age I would not want to carry it anywhere. Now in my 20's I would have loaded it and my RD-2000 without any thought.

I have the XK3c with XLK3 lower manual, it's the closest authenticity to a B-3.  I had a Calzone case made so that the whole assembly sits in the bottom lid.  Place the top lid on it and it's ready to cart to a gig. But it's not light and I only gig it when I'm playing lots of Hammond.  I use the single manual XK3 for the simpler gigs.

3 hours ago, RABid said:

I hate the overdrive on the XK3c so I keep the Leslie effects turned off an use a Ventalator 2 Pro.

I don't used the overdrive for grunge distortion, not the same as overdriving a 122 or 147.  But I found the XK3c overdrive is more useful if you monkey with the tube settings and apply tube overdrive lightly - it can make the organ tone better that an EQ cannot do.

Agree that the onboard Leslie sim is its weakest point.  I use my 760 or one of my simulators (CLS-222 or Vent II Pro).

• Like 1

I have an SKXpro in a Gator carry bag with a fold up trolley.  Whoever designed the handle in the middle of the rear of the dual manual SK series boards deserves a medal.  It’s as easy to move as my Mojo-61.  16kg isn’t much more than a lightweight DP.

• Like 1

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

4 hours ago, The Real MC said:

I have the XK3c with XLK3 lower manual, it's the closest authenticity to a B-3.  I had a Calzone case made so that the whole assembly sits in the bottom lid.  Place the top lid on it and it's ready to cart to a gig. But it's not light and I only gig it when I'm playing lots of Hammond.  I use the single manual XK3 for the simpler gigs.

I don't used the overdrive for grunge distortion, not the same as overdriving a 122 or 147.  But I found the XK3c overdrive is more useful if you monkey with the tube settings and apply tube overdrive lightly - it can make the organ tone better that an EQ cannot do.

It's definitely still a haul (xk line), I've found  bringing a vintage B3/Leslie easier. It's definitely faster.

Agree on your usage of the XK OD.

Today's latest clones are lighter now (single and double manual).

How does the organ and Leslie sim in the SK pro compare to the XK 4? Is it just hype or is it significantly better?

if it we’re approaching the quality of the B3 X software then it would be a justifiable upgrade. 

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

8 hours ago, analogman1 said:

How does the organ and Leslie sim in the SK pro compare to the XK 4? Is it just hype or is it significantly better?

if it we’re approaching the quality of the B3 X software then it would be a justifiable upgrade. 

IMO B3-X can sound noticeably better than even the latest clones. Grab a couple 61 key controllers with 9 sliders and you have a light, low cost, good sounding rig. It may not look great but that doesn't really matter. Or use an older, used 2 manual clone as a controller with it. You're tied to a computer and interface of course.

Haven't tried one yet but the XK4 internal leslie sim sounds decent. 

I gig a C2D (35 lb) and carry it (roll it) in the factory case.  The stand is a 21 lb K&M 18950. I'd like something lighter but the Nord aluminum C2D stand is $500 -- nope.

A lot of people who think they need a dual manual probably would do fine with a single manual. IMO, organ trio where your left hand is always playing bass is where the dual manual still earns its place. 

• Like 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I like the way I use XK overdrive.   

My overdrive is either the Vents overdrive or from the cabinet.  These days it’s practically the Vent all the time.   But I use the XK OD to goose the real OD if I want to go full Uriah Heep.  

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

On 4/7/2024 at 11:05 AM, adamcz said:

For those of you who have a Crumar Mojo Classic, Viscount Legend Soul 261 or Hammond SKX Pro: are they painless to bring to a gig? Or do you find yourself leaving them at home and bringing something smaller like a Nord/Yamaha/etc? Is the Mojo suitcase much of an advantage over the others in a carrying case with shoulder strap?

I currently have a Viscount Legend Live, Hammond XK3, and a Hammond SK2 and SKX. (In the past I also owned both analog and digital versions of the Korg BX-3's).  I bought a XK3 years ago, and also found a used XLK3 lower keyboard for it, and now it stays in my rec room as my "B3 substitute", along with bass pedals.  That sucker was a bear to move around (I don't have a roadie at my disposal).  I decided I only wanted a dual-manual rig since I play a lot of solo organ, and the first one I found used locally was a Hammond SK2.  I *REALLY* like moving the dual Hammond SK's (I currently have an SK2 AND a SKX (non-"pro")).  The dual-manual SK's have a well-thought-out recessed "handle" in the back that makes them SO easy to lift and move!  Plus, depending on your needs, the SK's have some additional sounds that *may* be useful to you, depending on how fussy you are.  I like having them, since in a band environment, nobody really cares whether my "piano" sounds are perfect or not 🙂  

I tried out a used first-generation Mojo in a music store once, and REALLY liked the action, although I've read many horror stories about reliability.  When the Hammond SK2 came up, I forgot about the Mojo and haven't looked back.  I like the extra drawbars on the Legend Live, but I really like the Hammond action better, plus the extra sounds in the Hammond are useful to me.  

Bottom line - I would say moving a Hammond SK dual manual is painless.  Personally I prefer the SKX to the SKX Pro........I don't need the extra features and the used SKX I found recently was 1/2 the price of a new SKX Pro.  I *might* be selling my Hammond SK2 in the future now that I have the SKX......haven't decided yet.  This is NOT a sales pitch, but if you're interested send me a PM.  If I sell it, it will be priced reasonably and it's in excellent shape.  I will likely list it here before Reverb.  

Good luck, there are a LOT of great dual-manual organ choices out there these days!

Lou

The MAG C2 has a fantastic form factor (light, small) yet is built like a tank with a realistic control panel layout with tabs and a CV knob. 

(Not to mention how good it sounds.)

• Like 3

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Funny thing, I own B3X both on iPad and Mac…used it heavily in studios but never live. I use an Electro 5D. 
I might try the software live soon. 

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

4 hours ago, analogman1 said:

Funny thing, I own B3X both on iPad and Mac…used it heavily in studios but never live. I use an Electro 5D. 
I might try the software live soon. 

You'll  never go back to the 5d organ

• Like 2

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

19 hours ago, Mitch Towne said:

The MAG C2 has a fantastic form factor (light, small) yet is built like a tank with a realistic control panel layout with tabs and a CV knob. 

(Not to mention how good it sounds.)

I'm interested.  Can you provide a weight for the one you use?

SKXPro.  Super sounding 2 manual clonewheel and does just about everything you'll need for a gig.  I went from 3 boards, rack synth and mixer to one board - and I'm not missing anything needed for gigs.

• Like 1