Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two-manual clone wheels. How portable are they? Which one to buy?

21 minutes ago, analogman1 said:

How flexible are the synth pads in the SK pro? 

Very, IMO.  Types largely covered.  You can also create your own patches by using different tone components.   You can tweak each of up to 4 tone components within each patch to give you what you're looking for.  I've created a few to cover some very 80's sounds.  Programming is not hard once you grasp the Combo/Patch/Component structure and UI.  I usually start with a close Patch and tweak/add/subtract the tone components until I like what I hear.

That’s cool, because I find myself covering a lot of 70’s and Cars tunes, these days. 
I should download the manual and give it a good reading! 

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

On 4/7/2024 at 9:18 AM, Delaware Dave said:

Mojo 61 w/ the optional lower manual  This way you can have the option of using either the single manual or a dual manual for gigging and comes in two easy to carry pieces.  It's also less expensive than a dual manual mojo.  mojo 61, 25 pounds; separate lower manual, 17 pounds.  Neither one is back breaker.

https://www.altomusic.com/products/crumar-mojo61b-lower-manual-for-mojo-61-mojo61lower?variant=46177065238811&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiMmwBhDmARIsABeQ7xSEowZakNFAjOQwIrbrPbGaWqTBZZ2Oq67El2Wb2VQNYdilhFMo7SwaAoSFEALw_wcB

This… along with an iPad for all the other non-organ sounds, is what I gigged with for years. Loved the flexibility of the double or single manuals and ended up playing piano and other non organ sounds on the bottom manual. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Another SKX owner here. As others have said, the handle on the back of the SK models make them a breeze to lift. Only thing I'd say is that dual manuals are generally taller than regular keyboards, so they can be a bit awkward at times.

Length has always been the big thing for me - I hate long keyboards, and will never gig with an 88 key board again if I can help it. Dual manuals are chunky, but short. That does the job for me 😅

• Like 1

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Thanks for all the feedback everyone (and for the Fodera bass cameo on page 1 :)). I just bought a Yamaha CP73 as a practical "I'm 100% sure I can haul this to any gig" keyboard, and assuming I'm ok with playing Rhodes on that, I'll sell my Vintage Vibe and use the funds to buy an organ next. Right now I'm leaning towards the SKX Pro because of all the comments about the handle making it work great.

Yamaha CP73, Prophet 6, Moog Grandmother, Vintage Vibe Deluxe 73

1 hour ago, adamcz said:

Thanks for all the feedback everyone (and for the Fodera bass cameo on page 1 :)). I just bought a Yamaha CP73 as a practical "I'm 100% sure I can haul this to any gig" keyboard, and assuming I'm ok with playing Rhodes on that, I'll sell my Vintage Vibe and use the funds to buy an organ next. Right now I'm leaning towards the SKX Pro because of all the comments about the handle making it work great.

Very good choice for playing Rhodes on it! The CP‘s, YC‘s, CK‘s share the same two Rhodes samples (78 and 73 Studio), which i still find the best sampled Rhodes you can get on a hardware keyboard. Sorry, that was actually off-topic…

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

I was trying the organ sound on my new Yamaha and my QSC 8.2 PA speakers don’t cut it on the low end. I don’t want to look at a Leslie right away, because I want to use my speakers with Rhodes and synth sounds too, so I’m assuming PAs are still the best form factor. If I upgrade to 12” PA speakers am I going to be happy? Or is there a stereo keyboard amp that I should be looking at?

Edit: moved this question to a more on topic thread.

On 4/9/2024 at 8:02 AM, elif said:

I'm interested.  Can you provide a weight for the one you use?

The MAG C2 is 34.3 lbs. You can tell from this photo that it’s not a huge board. Extremely easy to manage, especially for a two manual clone. It’s definitely lighter than the one manual XK5, yet it doesn’t feel cheap at all. IMG_1355.thumb.jpeg.4e840377db31548bd441e45a95777a58.jpeg

• Like 1

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

1 hour ago, analogman1 said:

Where is the US dealer for Mag? 

I'd love to try one.

I'm in New York (Westchester County)

Currently, you purchase directly from Max at MAG. 

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Late to topic.  Rig depends on gig.  Crumar Classic , YC73, and Nord(s) here.  I have 4 basic setups.  Obviously an investment to do it like this, but was created out of necessity because I do many different kinds of gigs. I think that's how you best determine what tools you need.

For corporate, wedding, oldies-artist/pit band needing "some organ":  Nord Electro 6 or Stage Compact on top,  Yamaha YC73 on bottom.  Plus Mainstage for some pit shows.   Used the over-under configuration since Carter was in office.  However, starting to now HATE the stacked thing for both interaction and comfort. 

For Roots rock, Artist, Gospel, Deadhead rig,  L-shape with  YC73 on LH and Crumar RH. (pic below)  Using Mitch's great models.   The wheeled case for the Crumar Classic is very easy to deal with.  If I'm 2nd keyboardist only doing organ, absolutely need the lower manual.    But on some gigs with tight stages; occasionally a tiny bit of regret that I could of just used the Electro.  Like knowing YC can also do organ as backup.  Sometimes bring or backine a 145 (and occasionally B3) on bigger shows.  This is my favorite rig to play.

Besides overall piano sound and solo/trio cocktail gigs, one reason I got the YC was for an ongoing jazz concert series I do with a smooth jazz guitar artist.   His gig is 90% Rhodes with a bit of organ.  Previously did Electro on top. (posted video while back  in the share your music thread...)   Loved flexibility, but hated being cut off from the audience (and band) in small venues,  plus the extra setup.  We're usually headliner, but this year also going to be out with some bigger name artists.  Needed something super easy to get in and out with if not sharing rigs.  Also for one-off bar or church gigs, I like the challenge and comfort of using just one keyboard. Plus being able to easily layer piano and organ.    Not embarrassed by the YC organ at all.  I may add a bit of Mainstage synth layers.  I'll let you know how it works out. 

Cheers, C

EDITED: YC not CP 

IMG_5639.thumb.JPG.bac901d8ff18013d3c5f839afb080f48.JPG

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

2 hours ago, adamcz said:

That looks like a YC in the pic. 

Sorry brain fart.  Yes YC. Sitting couple feet from a CP reface and it must of invaded my consciousness. 😛

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, finely sold the B-3 and 122 like 5 years ago because it hadn't even been turned on in over 3 ,,,,,,but,  for those of you that didn't know, it was the standard for gigs back 35 years ago we would play the same place 3-nights a week for a month and a half, but when you are playing a place called the "Cellar" the steps and just as steep when it's time to move to the next place no matter how long yo have been there. . . ---- My point, Even moving  a Porta B is nothing, and ANY keyboard move today is a joke. -

Me?   I'm getting ready to spring for a 2-manual+pedals XP-Pro, but back in "the day I ended up on a Farfisa and even a Tuck and roll Kustom and that weighed almost as much as a Porta-B and Leslie, and never sounded right.

My point is that no matter what you use today you can't go wrong. If it aint a Hammond, it aint an organ and the sound of the old keyboards of yester year really sucked !!!!!! and then add the weight and BS of the 3d manual Rhoads, or Whurlly piano and compare it to the stuff we got today, and we shouldn't even have Roadies. - Plus  the stuff today will do ANYTHING!  (BTW, Not going to tell you what I'm sing  using for the several years - "True sound,,,,, NO WAY.  Close enough where the audience can't tell,  add get paid without haling 1/2 ton of ezipmment (Add it up. you are looking at over 1000 pounds in the before timer. !)

There are old Hammond organists and there are bold Hammond organists,,,,,,,,But they both wear back braces, when they can stand up by themselves, anyway = God Bless Suzki. Too bad the original Hammond could,t figure it out over here.

• Dislike 1

18 hours ago, SmokeDog said:

Well, finely sold the B-3 and 122 like 5 years ago because it hadn't even been turned on in over 3 ,,,,,,but,  for those of you that didn't know, it was the standard for gigs back 35 years ago we would play the same place 3-nights a week for a month and a half, but when you are playing a place called the "Cellar" the steps and just as steep when it's time to move to the next place no matter how long yo have been there. . . ---- My point, Even moving  a Porta B is nothing, and ANY keyboard move today is a joke. -

Me?   I'm getting ready to spring for a 2-manual+pedals XP-Pro, but back in "the day I ended up on a Farfisa and even a Tuck and roll Kustom and that weighed almost as much as a Porta-B and Leslie, and never sounded right.

My point is that no matter what you use today you can't go wrong. If it aint a Hammond, it aint an organ and the sound of the old keyboards of yester year really sucked !!!!!! and then add the weight and BS of the 3d manual Rhoads, or Whurlly piano and compare it to the stuff we got today, and we shouldn't even have Roadies. - Plus  the stuff today will do ANYTHING!  (BTW, Not going to tell you what I'm sing  using for the several years - "True sound,,,,, NO WAY.  Close enough where the audience can't tell,  add get paid without haling 1/2 ton of ezipmment (Add it up. you are looking at over 1000 pounds in the before timer. !)

There are old Hammond organists and there are bold Hammond organists,,,,,,,,But they both wear back braces, when they can stand up by themselves, anyway = God Bless Suzki. Too bad the original Hammond could,t figure it out over here.

Huh?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

It's crazy how much cheaper Viscount and especially Crumar are from Thomann compared to the US dealers. I was thinking about a discounted demo unit from Sweetwater, but a brand new one from Thomann is significantly cheaper, even after shipping and tariff dues. Here's Delvon Lamarr playing the Crumar and Joey D playing the Viscount:

To bring some closure here, I ordered the Crumar suitcase from Thomann. Maybe the others are a little nicer, but the I couldn't tell for sure and the price difference is huge. 2-3 week backorder which hopefully won't become months and months.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, adamcz said:

To bring some closure here, I ordered the Crumar suitcase from Thomann. Maybe the others are a little nicer, but the I couldn't tell for sure and the price difference is huge. 2-3 week backorder which hopefully won't become months and months.

Cool.  Did you find out how much the import tariff is?   When first shopping for clones,  I spent 3 days trying to get a definitive answer from US customs and got nowhere.  Though they're excellent on all other fronts,  Thomann couldn't really help there.   I've bought accessories, cases, stands etc. with great success and fast delivery from them, but all were under the $800 import threshold.   Was very tempted to get my Classic from them because  so cheap, but my guy at Sweetwater hooked me up.

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Thanks.  I've bought a lot of K&M stuff from Thomann and never paid any tariffs.  I didn't know about the $800 threshold.  I learned something today!  Thanks again!

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I think the tariff will be 5.4% per HTS 9207.10.00 suffix 55. Still way cheaper than the used ones on this site or Reverb. 

Was kind of curious if any of this changed since my last go round-  quick googling-is this different from HTS 55? - (Emphasis, mine)

In particular, HTSUS 9804.00.65 allows for the duty-free importation of personal-use articles from a Column 2 country when the fair retail value of such goods is under $800. Also see 19 C.F.R. 148.33. HTSUS 9816.00.20 establishes a duty rate of 4% of the fair retail value for personal-use articles under $1,000 imported from a Column 2 country. Thus, any articles imported under this section for personal use with a value of under $800 can be imported duty free, and any articles imported for personal use with a value between $800 and $1800, will be subject to a flat 4% duty rate. Any articles valued over $1800, regardless of whether for personal use, will be subject to entry and should be classified, appraised, and assessed duty appropriately under the specific HTSUS Column 2 rates. Also see 19 C.F.R. 148.101 and 148.102. Any commercial importation, i.e., not for personal use, is subject to entry requirements and payment of applicable duties, fees, and taxes.

All said I agree, still cheaper, would love to know how they bill you, and it if it's Thomann or UPS/DHL.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/know-before-you-visit/customs-duty-information#:~:text=Thus%2C any articles imported under,a flat 4% duty rate.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I expect the bill will come from UPS as that’s what happened with a trumpet I bought from the UK earlier this year. The tariff rate is different for every single musical instrument. You have to look it up for each one but I think all electric keyboards are the same. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CEB said:

Thanks.  I've bought a lot of K&M stuff from Thomann and never paid any tariffs.  I didn't know about the $800 threshold.  I learned something today!  Thanks again!

My company ships to the US every week. Every sale is usually £200-700, and DHL (the courier we use) always warn us about the duty fee that may be incurred, and that we should warn US customers about it, but so far not a single US customer has had to pay it. European customers, on the other hand…ouch. If a US and an EU customer want to buy a £500 product from us, the US customer usually ends up paying less. It’s nuts. Thanks, Brexit. 

Thomann are a German company though, and things work slightly different there. But if you can get accessories cheap at Thomann, do it. They’re an excellent company. 

• Like 1

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3