Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why do famous artists cover up the brand names on their keyboards on TV (and sometimes live)?

kpl1228

ALWAYS have wondered this. I would assume it's for (1) copyright; or (2) a clean onstage look? Anyone have experience with this? A random thought that hit me today.

• Like 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, 2 Invisible keyboard stands (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

1. If the player isn't an endorser, they may not want to endorse a brand "for free"; or

2. If the player is an endorser, they may not be contractually permitted to play another brand of instrument in public.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yup. what davinwv said above.   I'm not an endorser, and i cover most logos.  Unless they want to pay me, i ain't advertising for them.  Of course I don't always cover them completely.  "Yamaha" sometimes becomes "YAM," "HA," or "AHA."    My MARSHALL guitar cabinet was  "MARSHA,"  until someone actually custom made me a "MAYTAG" logo.   Likewise "AMPEG" into "PEG" or my old bass player's cab was just "AMP."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

Unless they want to pay me, i ain't advertising for them.

Exactly. :thu:

Let's see... Kronos could become RON, ON, K O O or just O O.

Or SONORK if I play Rondo upside down with knives. I think I'll pass on this one. Could become expensive.

:guinness:   :guinness:   :guinness:

Believe there was a whole thread here several months ago regarding the whole non-endorsee, unpaid promotion topic.  I'm too lazy to search for it now...but I believe the forum was somewhat split--with many adamant that they cover all logos...vs. others arguing that it was silly--and if you like a board enough to play it live at a gig, why wouldn't you want to support/promote the brand?

For what it's worth, I've never personally covered any logo on any board I've ever played...not for any profound logical or ethical reason... it's just never crossed my mind or seemed important enough to put much thought into...

• Like 4

Based on past experience, when your performance is broadcast on TV, the network typically requires you to conceal any visible brands. While this isn't always the case, it's quite common.  I make sure all logos are covered with black tape. Additionally, I personally prefer a clean aesthetic without logos.

• Like 2
Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Performances on BBC in the UK would do this. Top of the pops in particular was great for games of 'name the keyboard' in the 80's and 90's. As a public funded institution they don't advertise, so no brands were allowed to be shown.

• Like 4

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Some instrument brands are recognised even by casual public. As I am a low profile music, playing on a modest band, never broadcasted, I prefer the prominent YAMAHA logo on my Montage or MODX+ is visible.

That way people attending will think "that dude playing the keyboard has no much clue, but he is playing a decent instrument" 😆. Otherwise it would be like "that dude playing the keyboard has no clue. He even uses a non-branded keyboard!" 🤣

• Haha 3

When I used to perform with an Ensoniq EPS sampler workstation, I used to alter the "ensoniq" logo on the back with electrical tape to spell out my name. 

The last time I performed on TV, I played a Nord Electro 2 and the station staff covered the back of my keyboard plus the stand on the bottom with a black skirting. I suppose it was mainly there to keep the cables out of view, but the "Nord Electro 2" logo was also covered up. I had no say in it, nor did they tell me, "We're going to have to cover the logo on your keyboard."

6 hours ago, Sean M. H. said:

Believe there was a whole thread here several months ago regarding the whole non-endorsee, unpaid promotion topic.  I'm too lazy to search for it now...but I believe the forum was somewhat split--with many adamant that they cover all logos...vs. others arguing that it was silly--and if you like a board enough to play it live at a gig, why wouldn't you want to support/promote the brand?

That was a fun thread!  I myself imagined I could detect the left/right political leanings of the respondents based on whether they preferred logos on their keyboard or not.  (Most likely just my own projecting)

I cover the logos on my boards.  I prefer the cleaner aesthetic of no commercial advertising.  On my Hammond XK3, I carefully scraped away the white "Hammond" lettering from the wood veneer so the audience side of the instrument is a big expanse of wood without a logo; it looks great.  For my Nord Electro, I went out to get red tape.  You could say I put a lot of effort into the appearance of my keyboards.

14 hours ago, kpl1228 said:

ALWAYS have wondered this. I would assume it's for (1) copyright; or (2) a clean onstage look? Anyone have experience with this? A random thought that hit me today.

None of the above.  Television shows make their money with advertisers paying huge dough for their slots.  Contractual obligations requires the show to conceal brand names on products that are freely visible, but have not paid for any advertising privilege - the advertisers get pretty upset at that (ring ring lawsuit).

• Like 2

I cover all the audience-facing back-of-keyboard logos. I also don't wear logos on clothes, unless it's something I'm somehow connected to or want promoted. I don't like my body or rig being used as other people's ad-space. If they want to pay for me it, instead of the other way around, then we can talk. But the idea of me paying for a thing I need, getting it (which closes the loop) and then being conscripted to being someone's free brand-ambassador, chafes for me. 

If you look on stage, you have to squint verrry verrrry hard to find the "Fender" logo (for example) on guitars or basses, and even the drum logo on bass heads is generally either small or removed completely. We're the only ones whose instruments are being used as billboards the way they are.

Funny enough, though, I don't care at all about logos when it comes to gym clothes. I'm not sure what the difference is. I guess I just feel like everyone knows the deal there or something, and everything is worn out of necessity.

• Like 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Once piano manufacturers started putting their brands on the side of the piano facing the audience, I knew something was up.

• Haha 2

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, 2 Invisible keyboard stands (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

36 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

Funny enough, though, I don't care at all about logos when it comes to gym clothes. I'm not sure what the difference is. I guess I just feel like everyone knows the deal there or something, and everything is worn out of necessity.

Interesting that you draw the line at...gym clothes lol.  I remember in the other thread I mentioned, some guys brought up analogous scenarios for the sake of argument: "well do you also cover the logos on the car/truck you drive everyday?"

Like I said, I have no strong feelings on the subject one way or the other...and I'm certainly not anything close to a "famous" player, which is what the OP originally asked about*...but I do find it a pretty interesting discussion

*I think that's another reason I never considered covering a logo...I just can't see a random guy/gal at one of the local dive bars I play at buying a keyboard instrument, based on MY playing of said instrument 🥴😂.  I'm sure if I was a better player, on a larger platform, I'd probably think differently.

I’m wondering is it only if you’re playing your instrument on a TV show you feel like covering up the logo? (Where there a wider audience potentially watching) I mean why not cover up the logo on your car/truck/jeans?

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

So I suppose some cover / remove the logos /names on their cars when they drive in public?  (Yeah, ok, a very few people do…)

• Like 1

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).

I think people cover up the brand names on their instruments due to copyright issues. A lot of people cover up the names because when they are performing on a talk show, or shooting a movie, TV show or music video they want to avoid copyright or being sued by a musical instrument company, so they cover the logos up so they won't get sued. Half the time the instruments are rented anyways...

• Like 1

My time touring was brief and a long time ago, but I remember that it was always the show producer or network that insisted on covering logos.  I never did it myself.  In the late 70s, I played The Midnight Special, Dinah Shore, Merv Griffin, Tonight Show  and a bunch of other TV shows, and they all covered the Brand Names.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, eric said:

There's an extensive five page thread on this topic from last year. I wrote a long answer there. :) 

TLDR: This occurs in commercial settings due to sponsorship agreements and not allowing free advertising. It happens in personal settings due to personal preferences.

And another one from 2011:

old thread on taping over brand name

• Like 1

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

It's never been an actual monetary/contractual issue for me, but I have taped over logos because:

• I don't want my audience reading text on the back of my keyboard when they should be paying attention to other things.
  • A logo serves one purpose- advertising. At least with distinctive design, brands can blend aesthetic with brand identity. I don't mind if people recognize I'm using your product. I do resent that you expect me to help you speak directly with my audience, with no upside for me (unless I happen to really be into the logo). 
  • In any photography or videography, large text detracts from the image in a significant way.  Having a big-ass logo and model number in an otherwise atmospheric shot just pisses me off. This is the biggest reason. I was so much happier with shots of me and singers once I taped over the massive "RD700GX Roland" on the back of my board. And I kind of liked the styling of the logo. It was just too obtrusive in photography.
  • And, related, most manufacturers are designing those logos to be as disruptive and intrusive as possible. They're intentionally making their brand name as central as they can. Maybe it doesn't bother some folks, but I can't think of any other instruments where up to half of the visible portion might be taken up by a logo. I don't imagine guitar players would appreciate the aesthetic if a big FENDER was written large enough for people to read it in the back of the club on the body of every guitar.

So, I don't care that much, but if the logo is 'too prominent' (based on my own judgement) I absolutely will cover it, if I can do so without drawing even more attention to it.

• Like 1

As mentioned, famous artists may not have a choice but to cover up logos. Then, there's endorsements.

I've never bothered to cover logos on my own gear nor do I recall a gig that it was required.

It would be pointless covering up logos on vintage gear.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

22 minutes ago, harmonizer said:

In the spirit of obscuring logos on gear, as a joke, my son put a "Marshall" plastic logo on an old Roland KC-100.

I have a "Trek" bicycle which is actually a no-name bike from Walmart with Trek decals I got on Ebay.  It's 5 MPH faster now.

I still have bad dreams about the knockoff junk we used to have when I was a kid.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, harmonizer said:

In the spirit of obscuring logos on gear, as a joke, my son put a "Marshall" plastic logo on an old Roland KC-100.

I put a Marshall logo on my Leslie 760 - best damn prank I ever did.  When I bring that on stage, it drives gearspotting guitar players nuts "when did Marshall make a rotating speaker?!?"  Hammond players love it.

This 760 was rescued from a 15 year storage in a barn, I restored it.  All the tolex pulled right off the cabinet so I had a friend refinish it in black.  It looked pretty barren and needed something... so I bought the logo online and installed it.  It fits right in with Marshall stacks on a stage.  When the band makes arrangements with FOH hire guys, they tell them the keyboard player is bringing a Marshall...

mc-marshall-leslie.jpg

• Like 4