Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just watched Greatest Night in Pop doco..

nursers

.. and I'm enough of a sentimentalist to have loved every minute. I was really pleased to see both the recognition given to Bob Geldof and Band Aid which came a few months before, and the huge bow given to Harry Belafonte. There's a bunch of footage of the recording I'd never seen and some of the anecdotes are fascinating. They even put in some negative stuff like Sheila E being 'used' to get Prince to turn up, even though Lionel Richie is one of the EPs and central characters in the doco, so kudos to him.

Anyway, it's on Netflix and 90 minutes well spent IMO.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

+1.  Fantastic.  Lionel and Quincy have great leadership qualities.  What a logistical nightmare!!   I too got a little sentimental towards the end.  Highly recommend.  

• Like 3

Unexpectedly great and well done.   Had the same reaction.  Highly recommended, and I'm usually jaded to stuff that feels like self-back patting.

Really felt Dylan's discomfort and brief moment of "how do I even compete with these vocalists?"  Watching Quincy (and Stevie) coach him, and the  encouragement  of "just do you" was really amazing, especially the end result.   I won't spoil it, but the Paul Simon joke was also hilarious!.

Often wondered why Geldoff wasn't knighted, but he was given an honorary KBE.  Didn't know you had to be born in the UK. 

• Like 2

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Those days I spent a lot of time at the house of my friend across the street who had MTV, and I got a lethal dose of that song.  My first reaction was: a feature-length documentary on that one sappy earworm?

So I skimmed through it.  Then I caught some of the actual recording scenes.  It's a lot of fun seeing them all together, working out parts, redoing takes, troubleshooting problems.  Planning to give it another go from the start.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bfields said:

My first reaction was: a feature-length documentary on that one sappy earworm?

Yeah I had the same thought before watching it - to this day I love the Band Aid song 'Do They Know It's Christmas' - Phil Collins' drumming alone makes it worth it. We Are The World has always been the 'lesser' of the songs to me, but damn what a song still and I liked their intent of it being about the voices.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, obxa said:

Unexpectedly great and well done.   Had the same reaction.  Highly recommended, and I'm usually jaded to stuff that feels like self-back patting.

Really felt Dylan's discomfort and brief moment of "how do I even compete with these vocalists?"  Watching Quincy (and Stevie) coach him, and the  encouragement  of "just do you" was really amazing, especially the end result.   I won't spoil it, but the Paul Simon joke was also hilarious!.

Often wondered why Geldoff wasn't knighted, but he was given an honorary KBE.  Didn't know you had to be born in the UK. 

Yeah Dylan seemed so sweet and humble, despite being such a cultural giant. A landmark night. 

• Like 1

"And what will become of our heroes, WILLIE and WAYLON????  Tune in NEXT WEEK!  SAME Bat Time, SAME Bat Channel!!!"

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

Just watched it (brought COVID home from NAMM, so I’m catching up on TV time).  

Very cool and interesting documentary.  Brought the amount of effort it took to pull this off into a whole new perspective for me.

dB

• Like 2

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

15 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

Just watched it (brought COVID home from NAMM, so I’m catching up on TV time).  

Very cool and interesting documentary.  Brought the amount of effort it took to pull this off into a whole new perspective for me.

dB

Yeah I'd never realised it was recorded on same evening as the AMAs. Amazing.

• Like 2

This collides with the Synclavier thread.   Here's the video of Kevin Maloney describing how he programmed the intro.

• Like 2

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 2/2/2024 at 12:51 PM, linwood said:

That was a great one! Here's another doc that's worth a watch. 

Watched it tonight and had tears in my eyes throughout the entire movie. Exceptional. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 6:48 PM, sunspot said:

"And what will become of our heroes, WILLIE and WAYLON????  Tune in NEXT WEEK!  SAME Bat Time, SAME Bat Channel!!!"

So I was really trying to pique the interest of folks when I made this comment.  My wife and I are of two different generations and two different ethnicities, and we both laughed the hardest at the part about Waylon (I did not know the story before watching this show.). And I'm a big Waylon fan.

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

I watched it last night, and apart from the singers, I was left wondering what musicians played on the track. So I looked it up. Answer: J.R. Robinson on drums, and if memory serves, roughly 6 or 7 keyboardists, including Louis Johnson on synth bass. You know, just in case you forgot it was 1985...

The thing I'm most intrigued by was the passing reference to Ray Charles recording his own "gospel" version of the song. Now THAT is something I'd like to hear, if it's out there to be found.

The whole thing reminded me of this exchange between my 14-year-old self and my mom, as the song played on the radio one evening...

ME: Who's the guy at the end of this who sounds like Eddie Murphy doing Buckwheat?

MY MOM: What do you mean?

ME: Near the end of the song, it sounds like Eddie Murphy singing like Buckwheat, but I don't think it is.

MOM: I don't know what you're talking about.

ME: I'll show you when it comes up... Here it is.

VOICE IN THE SONG, SOUNDING LIKE EDDIE MURPHY AS BUCKWHEAT: Dere's a toice we ma-kin', we tay-vin' ahh own libes. It too we make a bi-tuh day, dus' oo an' mee!

MOM: That's Bob Dylan!

ME: Oh. Really?

MOM: Yes! He doesn't sound anything like Buckwheat!

ME: Umm, yeah, he really does.

Mom was offended. And while I obviously have far more awareness of and respect for Bob Dylan now than I did then, I nonetheless stand by my assessment.

• Haha 8

I liked the interchange, I think it was with Bellafonte.

"I think we need to make this song with only black people since this is about helping black people"

"I think I can get Kenny Rogers"

"Good!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

19 hours ago, Josh Paxton said:

MOM: That's Bob Dylan!

ME: Oh. Really?

It was fun to see Stevie Wonder showing Bob Dylan how to sing like Bob Dylan.  No offense to Dylan, but he was lost and just not getting what they needed.  For him to be open to Stevie working with him in front of everyone there....man, just shows the respect they all had for each other. (Waylon Jennings not withstanding)

• Like 2

We watched it a few days ago and loved it. My wife isn’t a musician, so it appeals to everyone. She loved it too.

I hadn’t seen your post and I posted something in Craig’s forum. It’s definitely worth watching.

Todd

Sundown

Finished: Gateway,  The Jupiter Bluff,  Condensation

Working on: Driven Away, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Shitty song, great documentary. 

Fun hearing Springsteen choose his words carefully/diplomatically whilst still getting his point across as to what a shitty song it is.

Was a bit disappointed that no one mentioned/alluded or even hinted at how much cocaine there musta been in that room.  I mean, 1980's rich rock stars? Check.  Session starting AFTER a 3 hour awards show and lasting until the next morning? Double check.  Egos, insecurity, peer pressure and stress? Triple check. We see Al Jareau hysterically drunk/plastered, but everyone else musta been powdered like a donut.  ;) 

12 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

Shitty song, great documentary. 

Fun hearing Springsteen choose his words carefully/diplomatically whilst still getting his point across as to what a shitty song it is.

I realized what a great actor Patrick Stewart was because there were some really terrible episodes of Star Trek TNG, and yet somehow, his lines still worked. Any decent actor can give a good performance with good material. But it takes a great actor to give a good performance when the material is, as you say, shit.

Which is to say, what makes this song work as well as it does is really the talent of the singers. (Though also give credit to the guy who figured whose voices would work best on which lines.) 

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

There was a 2-disc DVD released about 15 years ago that I have, which has the original documentary film along with some extra stuff. Most of it was recycled here, although there was some new stuff as well. 

I wish they would’ve interviewed some of the musicians as well. At least JR or Phillinganes. And I thought it was curious that Quincy wasn’t interviewed at all - the clips heard were from some much earlier interviews. (He’s old and tends to ramble these days, though…)