Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil K2061 61-note synth!

Just got this photo from my friends at the Kurzweil booth at NAMM...

It's got a metal enclosure, large ribbon, and the specs should be similar to K2700,  minus the drum pads and audio interface. It's got synth keys, but the action is unknown/undecided at the moment. 

K2061A.png

• Like 11
  • Cool 1
  • Love 2

I recently sold my K2700.  Even though I liked it in many ways, I just didn't connect personally with the action at all. But, I'd definitely reconsider if came in a 61 key variant! :)

Kronos 2 73, Nautilus 88, Matrixbrute, Logic, Pianoteq, NI Komplete

Looks interesting to me. If specs are similar curious it is not named a 2761. Hope the action is good!

• Like 1

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

The name perhaps points to a line below the K2700.

Will we see K2061 and K2073 (or K2076)?

Hoping it has retrained the pro features, including internal power supply and assignable outs.

Great to see a Kurzweil 61 key offer. The first one since, what, PC3a6? Or KME61? Trying to remember timelines 

• Like 1

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

11 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

The K2088 was also at the show.

IMG_8815.jpg.6e153e13f17b743ef1abb3ae35d323ef.jpg\

IMG_8816.thumb.jpg.5015179b2a431755859a8ac7de2d8aa4.jpg

IMG_8817.thumb.jpg.153a7ebabb45972201d28e8519237961.jpg

dB

I wonder if it's Medeli or Fatar.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Interesting development! Glad to see it. You mentioned no audio interface like the K2700 has. I do honestly think that not having some basic USB audio capability (stereo in/out is sufficient) is missing a target market of both studio folks/producers and live laptop or tablet rig users that would appreciate not having to bring a separate audio interface just for recording the keys output or bringing in MainStage patches, for example. Lots of boards do that now.

I’m not talking about the fancy audio input stuff like having hiZ impedance and phantom power, like the K2700 has, but just a basic stereo mix in/out for recording your keys direct or bringing in a few patches from a VST rig. It’s one of the features that was surprisingly left out on the Nord Stage 4, but that I use all the time on my MODX. I struggle to want to purchase a keyboard for my gig centerpiece that doesn’t have that ability now - I will make an exception for the Nord but that’s because I’d almost always be pairing it with the MODX anyways. Korg has had USB audio for years with the Kronos, Yamaha has had it since 2016, etc. So it would be great to see some sort of basic interface like that included - no need to have the extras of the K2700, just the basics would be sufficient.

• Like 2

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

7 hours ago, Dave Weiser said:

As far as I know, the action for the 88 is definitely Fatar TP40L. Action for the 61 is undecided/unknown.

Hope that they don’t make a mistake with the 61 keybed like they did with the artis or the pc3 76 which both hat way to stiff springs. I would definitely recommend a Fatar keybed. TP8 or TP9 I think. Leave springs as they are. And USB audio is essential these days. 

• Like 4

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

A 61 note keyboard by Kurzweil, at last...

I am waiting for the specs, but why not a K2761 without the pads, but with all others(sound card etc)?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

9 hours ago, The Piano Man said:

Great to see a Kurzweil 61 key offer. The first one since, what, PC3a6? Or KME61? Trying to remember timelines 

PC3 A6 was the last keyboard with 61 keys...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

Agreed on some of the other comments - in 2024, please don't exclude USB audio. Also keep the power supply internal. As for action, my PC361 had a great action, an I would jump on this new board if it was essentially a "mini" K2700 with a synth action, less weight, and no pads. Fingers crossed!

Kronos 2 73, Nautilus 88, Matrixbrute, Logic, Pianoteq, NI Komplete

As I saw from the pics, it has internal supply, midi in out, one usb for storage and one for computer connectivity, one headphone input, one stereo pair of inputs, 2 stereo pair of outputs and four pedals inputs...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, johnchop said:

Really digging the new aesthetics.

Pricing should be interesting. K2700 currently at 3k, PC4 (88) at 2.5k…

Wonder if this will bump the PC4 back down to $2k permanently... it's gone back and forth from $2k to $2.5k a couple times now.

1 hour ago, TomKittel said:

Hope that they don’t make a mistake with the 61 keybed like they did with the artis or the pc3 76 which both hat way to stiff springs. I would definitely recommend a Fatar keybed. TP8 or TP9 I think.

Huh? The PC3's keybed is a TP8. You're either contradicting yourself or you mistyped.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

1 minute ago, Sean M. H. said:

Wonder if this will bump the PC4 back down to $2k permanently... it's gone back and forth from $2k to $2.5k a couple times now.

I suspect there will be movement in the other direction - I think the K27 will go up to $3500 sometime soon. Its current price of $2999 is a good bit below that of other flagship workstations. I believe Fantom 8 is $3999 and Montage 8 is $4499.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dave Weiser said:

I suspect there will be movement in the other direction - I think the K27 will go up to $3500 sometime soon. Its current price of $2999 is a good bit below that of other flagship workstations. I believe Fantom 8 is $3999 and Montage 8 is $4499.

It will not be a wise decision to increase the value of K2700. The normal way is to drop the prices and not rise...

2 hours ago, UnderGroundGr said:

A 61 note keyboard by Kurzweil, at last...

I am waiting for the specs, but why not a K2761 without the pads, but with all others(sound card etc)?

Seems a strange, but maybe understandable move. 

Too late for me - I bought two PC4-7's in the last year, but I was one of those asking for a 61 key version.

I was more expecting them to do a PC461 and expand the K2700 line with a K2776 and K2761.

I was not expecting a whole new line instead.  Maybe the K2700 wasn't selling as well as expected. 

As long as they keep making keyboards though, Kurzweil is my first stop.

• Like 2

I'm glad to see Kurzweil still on track! I'm interested.

13 hours ago, brenner13 said:

Only if it has aftertouch…for me.

Yes.

11 hours ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

Thankfully has internal power supply!

Yes. Yes.

10 hours ago, Dave Weiser said:

Action for the 61 is undecided/unknown.

Crossing my fingers for this. The synth action that I'm playing the most at present is the Pro 3, which probably is the best synth action ever for my fingers. If the new Kurz is going to sport a similar keybed, that would be a major point in its favor.

Depending on the price, I think I woulda gone for a K2(7)61 over my PC4-7, although I like the latter a great deal.  Small and solid, with a semi-weighted 88 controller attached, would suit me fine.  It would also be a helluva lot easier to find a case that fits it.

Here's hoping Kurz doesn't price it in the unattainable (for me) Nord zone.

• Like 2

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361