Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Numa Compact SE and X SE

34 minutes ago, jason88 said:

I scrolled down on their homepage, looks like the SL controller series is also redesigned from the images.

The homepage photo of the SL73 fooled me for a minute, too, but they are just showing it with the MixFace attached.

I'm still holding out hope for an SL88 Grand SE with the action from the Numa X Piano GT and an SL88 Studio SE with the new TP110. Building in MixFace-type controls on both (at least faders, knobs, and buttons) would be awesome, though!

1 minute ago, davinwv said:

The homepage photo of the SL73 fooled me for a minute, too, but they are just showing it with the MixFace attached.

I'm still holding out hope for an SL88 Grand SE with the action from the Numa X Piano GT and an SL88 Studio SE with the new TP110.

Ah, I see it now (my coffee is kicking in!). Hope they update the SL series soon to the TP110 action which I find a massive improvement over the old 100 series that they are still using.

• Love 1

Kronos 2 73, Nautilus 88, Matrixbrute, Logic, Pianoteq, NI Komplete

I was hoping that the Numa Compact would allow at least 2 internal zones with overlapping option and also the ability to send each sound to a different output. I’m amazed how many boards don’t offer these basic features. It’s the reason I still use a 1989 Roland Rhodes 760 to this day! (It’s also just 10kg and it also has an internal power supply)

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

Likely some are delighted by the 88 keys, but like the previous gen that is a barrier for me.  I much prefer 6 or 7 octave controllers simply because some of the stages I play on are very tight...and frankly I don't need the extra octave or even two :)   But I'm still curious about this one.  I love the Fatar tp9 synth action, but I've never tried the tp9/piano version.   I could use this with a Nord Stage 3 compact and midi it up to one panel to trigger the piano from the Nord, with the internal sounds as a backup, but I'm not sure if that action is any improvement over the waterfall NS3C action for piano (and honestly I've gotten very used to it, which has surprised me.)

• Like 2

A 61/73 key version would’ve been a great alternative to the CK61. 

And I see that they have a synth engine with portamento, although in the webpage I can see that these are the little (underpowered) brothers of the Numa X piano, so I really hope that portamento can be ported back to the Numa X Piano. I’ve personally asked Gianni in the past and he confirmed they were considering portamento as a feature.

• Like 1

IMO the new Numa Compact X SE seems to be an incremental improvement over the Numa Compact 2X which I already have and like due to its portability, sounds, and controls at its price point. I also like its semi-weighted compromise action (with aftertouch) which for me works for piano, organ, and synth. 

Unless I missed it, it's not clear to me whether dedicated controls or buttons for favorites/ registrations are present in the new Numa Compact X SE.  This was a limiting factor for me for gigging or even rehearsing with the Numa Compact 2X.  Also, it would have been great if a 73/76 key version was offered.  Like a previous poster said, I often gig with bands on small, cramped stages and using an 88 key board is usually difficult or simply not possible.   A second split point, similar to the Yamaha CK's, would have been desirable as well.  I also wonder if the internal speaker system is improved compared to the Numa Compact 2X, which IMO is pretty lame despite its hyped 2 x10 watt specs.  The new enhanced synth capabilities don't interest me much since I don't play much synth.

• Like 1

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I have no room for 88 keys in my studio...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

SE has more limited synth and organ and has no drawbars that the X SE does.

Not sure I need to upgrade from my 2X…unless the on-board rotary is vastly improved. 

edit: Well, better pianos (though couldn’t hear them over those backing-track drums), promise of better C/V and rotary (notice no rotary on the demo), and more sounds…I dunno… Really got my sights set on a Crumar Mojo 61 for the top notch organ with character plus that bad-@$$ Rhodes sound they got. 

• Like 1

It also appears that, with these releases, the Compact 2 and 2X have now been discontinued.  However, the TP/9 Piano action is retained for the new SE models.  Those who do not need the new expanded sounds and sound engines might be able to find a good deal on a closeout for the old models.  I'll stick with my 2X, it's served me well and worked out great on the lone public gig I've done with it so far.  (So light!)

• Like 1

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

If it hits the same price point I’d be tempted.

Good bread and butter board, and the audio/USB interface is just the icing on the cake. It makes such a difference when playing at home. 

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

5 hours ago, CHarrell said:

what's the difference between the SE and the X SE?

Additional real-time controls. The X has the 9 sliders, and the additional buttons to the left of the 9 sliders.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

3 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

7kg or about 14 lbs.

Might be enough of a selling point for somebody.

That is borderline too light :)   I would be joking except for one very windy outdoor gig where my Modx7 was threatening to become an expensive kite.... Being so narrow one would hope the wind resistance would be minor on this one!

40 minutes ago, Stokely said:

That is borderline too light :)   I would be joking except for one very windy outdoor gig where my Modx7 was threatening to become an expensive kite.... Being so narrow one would hope the wind resistance would be minor on this one!

Some folks complaining in this forum about a new 88 key board being too heavy - I forgot which brand.  Probably multiple models, multiple brands. Perhaps this Numa is for them.

Oh I'm in that crowd too.  One foot over in the too-big-and-heavy camp and a toe in the too-light camp :)  

That windy day was definitely an outlier.  It was blowing 30 mph gusts, maybe higher.  I had to put a weight on the foot of the X stand I was using.   More commonly, light keyboards can have issues with sliding or tipping on stands, though adding some grip really helps with any stand that doesn't have it.  I added cork bicycle handle grip to my Omega Pro arms.

That said, my "sweet spot" is pretty darn big...Anything between say 20 pounds and 45 is fine, though the form factor matters.      I've said it before, my 41 pound Forte 7 was a lot easier to move around and set up than the 30 pound Moxf8.    If that Montage M8x was not 62 pounds and wasn't as bulky as it is I'd be really, really tempted.   As I was also for the Fantom 8.

On 1/25/2024 at 1:49 PM, brenner13 said:

SE has more limited synth and organ and has no drawbars that the X SE does.

Not sure I need to upgrade from my 2X…unless the on-board rotary is vastly improved. 

edit: Well, better pianos (though couldn’t hear them over those backing-track drums), promise of better C/V and rotary (notice no rotary on the demo), and more sounds…I dunno… Really got my sights set on a Crumar Mojo 61 for the top notch organ with character plus that bad-@$$ Rhodes sound they got. 

The usability of my 2x  in the niche spots when I need it (rehearsals, Jams, quick gigs, as a gig backup and even busking) is undeniable.   That said, I have realized that everything that I use the 2x for as an 88 note keyboard could be easily & equally accomplished by a 7x key version.   If Studiologic releases a 7x key version of the X SE then I will be sorely tempted as well!

• Like 2

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

This 88 is so slim, so light, and so easily portable in the proprietary Studiologic gig bag (it has back-pack straps for cripe’s sake), I don’t quite understand the want of a  seventy-something keybed. Heck, I’ve contemplated putting guitar studs on my 2X and wearing it as a keytar, powered by a brick power cell and wireless audio. It is a fantastic controller and only 12 lbs…lighter than some of the more heavy guitars. 
I kind of understand about limited studio room, but for live use, I’ll make room for 88s ; especially for piano-centric gigs. I really love having that low D available when I want it.

I’ve played my 2X a while tonight and really enjoyed the organ, even though the fast Lesley is quite subpar.

Claims are the upgrade is better in every way.

See? Still talking myself into it.

Any others played this semi-weighted 88 - how does it feel to you?  Similar to CK-61 keysboard?

For those, like me, who’d like to see an SL compact SE w/73 keys - I think SL wants us to pay a bit more for the Numa X 73….

BTW Numa X 73 weighs about 25lbs.

tripp323

Nord Electro, Kawai MP, Roland JX-305, Korg T1 & 707