Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Numa Compact SE and X SE

12 minutes ago, nadroj said:

Isn’t it apple and oranges? The CK61 has diving board keys and the Numa has piano style keys, no? 

I was just answering Trip323's question, "Any others played this semi-weighted 88 - how does it feel to you?  Similar to CK-61 keysboard?" But yes, feel aside, the key shape is different, albeit not in what I would consider a meaningful way. As for what makes the CK61 feel better to me, it doesn't push back as much as the Numa.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Sounds like I'd need to try this for sure then.  I figured it might be similar to the tp-9 synth action used in the Virus and Pc361.  I wouldn't say those push back, they are among the nicest synths to play I've personally tried (though of course, a very subjective area).  This "piano" variation might be pretty different despite the similar name.   

Even actions with the same name can push back different amounts. The Fatar TP-8O famously used in so many clonewheels can push back differently in different boards, just based on the tension of the springs they decide to use in a given board (e.g. a Mojo doesn't push back as much as a Nord).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

2 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Even actions with the same name can push back different amounts. The Fatar TP-8O famously used in so many clonewheels can push back differently in different boards, just based on the tension of the springs they decide to use in a given board (e.g. a Mojo doesn't push back as much as a Nord).

This is so true. And how the keybed is mounted (and to what) can make a difference in the feel.

I want to qualify my earlier answer that the CK61 feels better than the action of the NumaCompact 2/2x (which I am assuming is unchanged for these new models)... Yes, the Numa pushes back more, and I don't like push back. But that's not the only distinction, and not all differences favor one or the other. And I also want to note that I haven't played them directly side by side. But expanding on my impressions...

The CK key has an initial resistance, which then dissipates as you go further into the key travel, whereas the Numa feels like it resists more the further you depress the keys. (In a way, this CK initial resistance is almost like a piano's escapement bump.) The CK is also more even in response from the front of the key to the back.

How all of this may actually impact the playability for one sound or another may vary from sound to sound, so I really wouldn't want to say one action is better than the other universally. Specifically, I think the "escapement bump" effect combined with the particular trigger points make the CK action not as good as it might be for organ, so I think the Numa probably plays better for organ. And while the bump and the lesser pushback should make the CK the better choice for piano, in the end, I'm not sure which I'd prefer for piano, since both have flaws. Yamaha has its (in)famous slightly-narrower-than-full-piano-distance between octaves, and for some reason, I find that all the piano sounds need tweaking of the velocity response (and I haven't yet found settings that I'm really happy with). But before saying advantage Numa here, I'll add that I don't think the Numa's response connected great with its piano sound, either, but I suspect that also had to do with my feelings about the piano sound itself, and I don't think I've tried their newest downloadable piano sounds. Another point of interest here is that these two boards both happen to double as pretty versatile MIDI controllers, so any comment about how they connect with their internal pianos sounds may not necessarily apply if you were instead to use their actions to trigger, say, Ravenscroft from your iPad or whatever. (And of course, the Numa has the obvious advantage of not being limited to 61 keys.)

And then once you move beyond pianos and organs, the Numa's action also gives you the advantage of aftertouch. So in the end, "which action is better" can really vary with which sounds you're playing.

• Like 1

Looks like it is still cheaply made, I cannot denegrate just how flimsy and nasty the controls are on the 2X and these new models look exactly the same.

My Compact 2X has burnt out after four years.

I would not waste any more cash on any Studiologic products.

• Like 1

Col

On 1/27/2024 at 6:06 AM, Radagast said:

Sweetwater is listing the prices as $599 and $899.

It's a shame the price of the higher-end of the two boards is now creeping up into the $1000 territory, considering what it does and still doesn't do... The organ section is still not convincing, and adding polyphony and supposed revamped piano samples isn't enough to justify a $150 increase from the previous price. It was once a great value - now its, "Meh"... $900 for this barely-improved same old thing... probably will pass.

9 hours ago, Biggles said:

Looks like it is still cheaply made, I cannot denegrate just how flimsy and nasty the controls are on the 2X and these new models look exactly the same.

My Compact 2X has burnt out after four years.

I would not waste any more cash on any Studiologic products.

Well, if you got four years out of it for the price, then that is pretty good considering I just bought mine brand-new for $545. Beats lugging around a 40-lb monster.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 12:24 PM, HSS said:

IMO the new Numa Compact X SE seems to be an incremental improvement over the Numa Compact 2X which I already have and like due to its portability, sounds, and controls…

The new board has mono/poly mode with portamento.  That’s more than an “incremental improvement”

17 hours ago, Radagast said:

The new board has mono/poly mode with portamento.  That’s more than an “incremental improvement”

True but not for my admittedly selfish purposes. I mainly play AP, EP,  B3, and occasional clav with the old school blues and soul bands I gig with.  If I played more synth, I'd probably feel differently. Each to their own. 

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)