Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Holy hell — Korg reissue PS-3300!

Jesus, what is going on with these guys…! Wow. 

I‘m guessing five figures, for sure. 

https://synthanatomy.com/2024/01/korg-ps-3300-fs-a-full-scale-reissue-of-the-ultra-rare-poly-analog-synthesizer.html

• Like 5

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

That's a lot of analog hardware. 

Per Wiki: The unique feature of 48-note polyphony means that each unit has 48 oscillators (technically 12 oscillators and 36 frequency dividers), 48 low-pass filters, 48 envelope generators, and 48 amplifiers. Combining the 3 units, this makes for a total of 144 oscillators (technically 36 oscillators and 108 frequency dividers), 144 filters, 144 envelope generators, and 144 amplifiers.

😅 💪💪

• Like 1

This will be a very limited run. How many do you think.  50?  25? 10?

A Korg or Roland Custom Shop would be cool.  How much for a new fully accurate JP-8?

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

42 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

That is a bold move.  I can only imagine the price point.  

Which means Behringer will do the 3200 and have it out about the same time.  

Korg’s big enough to sue the crap out of them.

1 hour ago, CEB said:

Considering this synth was first produced in 1977 and no shortage of hardware and software on the market, 10 seems about right.😁😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

8 hours ago, Tusker said:

That's a lot of analog hardware. 

Per Wiki: The unique feature of 48-note polyphony means that each unit has 48 oscillators (technically 12 oscillators and 36 frequency dividers), 48 low-pass filters, 48 envelope generators, and 48 amplifiers. Combining the 3 units, this makes for a total of 144 oscillators (technically 36 oscillators and 108 frequency dividers), 144 filters, 144 envelope generators, and 144 amplifiers.

😅 💪💪

The news item on Synthtopia says 49 voice polyphony.

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2024/01/22/korg-reissues-rare-ps-3300-semi-modular-polysynth/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CEB said:

There must be several hundred well heeled collectors world wide who would consider this a must add. My guess? 500. 

• Like 1

The Schmidt 8-voice cost $25k.   I'm curious what this will cost?

Gino Vannelli with brother Joe on keys were users of the PS-3300 and PS-3100 on their 1978 album Brother to Brother and live shows. You might catch a glimpse of a PS in this live show when they take the camera off of Gino.

• Like 2

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

56 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Sonic State sez cost is $13k

Lol, hell of a deal...what is the effing point.  Reissue an old classic and make it sheer unobtainium but for only the wealthy...  I'm sure Elon will enjoy playing with his for about 5 minutes before he gets bored and throws it in his Tesla Gigafactory dumpster in the parking lot

• Haha 1

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

31 minutes ago, sunspot said:

Lol, hell of a deal...what is the effing point.  Reissue an old classic and make it sheer unobtainium but for only the wealthy...  I'm sure Elon will enjoy playing with his for about 5 minutes before he gets bored and throws it in his Tesla Gigafactory dumpster in the parking lot

I dunno I'm just the messenger here

1 hour ago, CEB said:

The Schmidt 8-voice cost $25k.   I'm curious what this will cost?

Korg has economy of scale that Schmidt doesn't have. They could make something more complex at a fraction of the price.

• Like 1

Its a brilliant slice of vintage fun, but I think I'd go for the $49 Cherry Audio version first. $13K can buy you a very handsome home rig, or add big fins to the one you already have. Korg may as well label it with a new logo, "Vanity Line." No one outside of Our Kind is likely to be impressed for long and it seems like a bit of a waste unless you dive into it. I have to beat my same old drum about commitment, because its not a synth you should take up too lightly. It deserves to be one of the main 3 synths you use on an album, not just a show-off piece with a sock draped over one side.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

16 minutes ago, Muad’Dib said:

Nice idea that KORG is doing this? However, I foresee a problem?  A lot of people will buy this, just to turn around and resell it at a higher price, on Reverb.com or eBay! Just like when they released the ARP 2600 FS. 

If someone pays $20K for one on Reverb, you should call the producers of "Hoarders" and say "Have I got a mark for you!" 🙄

• Like 2

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

3 hours ago, sunspot said:

Lol, hell of a deal...what is the effing point.  Reissue an old classic and make it sheer unobtainium but for only the wealthy...

13 K$ for that Korg monster is peanuts compared to the recently reissued Moog 55 at 35 K$ and "Emerson" Moog Modular System at 150 K$.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, K K said:

13 K$ for that Korg monster is peanuts compared to the recently reissued Moog 55 at 35 K$ and "Emerson" Moog Modular System at 150 K$.

Are we seriously making this argument at this point?  After watching everyone talk about how the Oberheim OB-X8 was unobtainium at $5K retail?  And this pompous Korg reissue is at 2.5x, the price of a brand new HVAC house unit?  "Let them eat cake" I guess.

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

It is less expensive than I expected.

• Like 1

There are moments when I think about owning a vintage monster like a Fairlight/Synclavier/DX1/CS80, but then I remember I have Korg’s AN-1 in the Kronos with 80 voices, 2 CS80’s worth of AN in the Montage M, 20,000x the sampling power of the Fairlight in any of 10 different workstations, and I still can’t hear myself enough in the mix for any of it to matter much.

• Like 2