Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Holy hell — Korg reissue PS-3300!

It’s priced fairly. It’s cheaper than a Schmidt. It’s totally unique and does a thing nothing else does, including the software emulations. They have the sound, but not the workflow, and that’s real.  It’s not for many. But for those it’s for, it’s brilliant, welcome and an instant buy. 

I’m not on the list, but it’s a great synth.  Way more interesting than any of the cheap mono synths flooding the market.  It would look great next to a Schmidt, and sound very different!  It has a unique architecture and capabilities.  Such a great time to be alive - it’s a real renaissance for instruments of all kinds!

• Like 1

I think of it the way Mercedes makes a pricy race car to test out concepts and build brand. We shouldn't look at the profitability of a product in isolation.

It will be fun to see music made with an uber-polyphonic like this one. I suspect there are new sweet spots to be discovered though I can't imagine what they are, which is the point. The MS20's filters were not supposed to become a go to method for turning drum loops into gold-dust and yet that is what they became. 

Congratulations, Korg! :cheers:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TJ Cornish said:

There are moments when I think about owning a vintage monster like a Fairlight/Synclavier/DX1/CS80, but then I remember I have Korg’s AN-1 in the Kronos with 80 voices, 2 CS80’s worth of AN in the Montage M, 20,000x the sampling power of the Fairlight in any of 10 different workstations, and I still can’t hear myself enough in the mix for any of it to matter much.

The answer is clear. Dig up one of those FM patches that are so sharp, they can slice roast beef from 30 feet away.

There'll be a buncha hearing going on THEN! 😬 Its 2024. You can be heard like hell now! :rawk:

• Haha 1

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

2 hours ago, David Emm said:

The answer is clear. Dig up one of those FM patches that are so sharp, they can slice roast beef from 30 feet away.

There'll be a buncha hearing going on THEN! 😬 Its 2024. You can be heard like hell now! :rawk:

In all seriousness, this is what I love about the Montage M - I have three pads cued up - a brass pad and string pad I made from samples from the EasySounds Analog Experience sample pack, an FM-based pad, and then other sounds as required. Being able to bounce between and mix all of those with polyphony to spare since they are spread between engines is great. I would probably never go to an FM pad alone, but adding a little sing from the FM engine can be really tasteful. I dreamed that in the Kronos which can make all of those sounds, but there isn't enough polyphony on the Kronos to leave all that stuff on.

Audio demo

https://cdn.shopify.com/videos/c/o/v/d5a6512951b148b5b946dd3e95b598f0.mp4

Funny how age changes everything. Would of lusted for this years ago, not so much today.  

I do continue to kick myself yearly  for not buying a Roland System 100  from a friend who was  trying to raise funds to buy his DX7. ... $375. 😢

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

16 hours ago, TJ Cornish said:

In all seriousness, this is what I love about the Montage M - I have three pads cued up - a brass pad and string pad I made from samples from the EasySounds Analog Experience sample pack, an FM-based pad, and then other sounds as required. Being able to bounce between and mix all of those with polyphony to spare since they are spread between engines is great. I would probably never go to an FM pad alone, but adding a little sing from the FM engine can be really tasteful. I dreamed that in the Kronos which can make all of those sounds, but there isn't enough polyphony on the Kronos to leave all that stuff on.

That's how I came to be 97% ITB. I can mix & match things with impunity and zero polyphony issues. I've cleaned house recently, because I know my main instruments so well, I only need a basic double handful. Its hard to feel limited when I have a couple of examples of every approach that speaks to me.  

Its hard to picture a mini version in this case. An MS-20 is one thing, but the PS has over triple the control panel footprint. If you thought Volcas and Boutiques were fidgety... Part of modular luv involves sitting in front of a big ol' thing and feeling AS IF you were in full control of it.  

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

On 1/22/2024 at 9:34 PM, Shamanzarek said:

Gino Vannelli with brother Joe on keys were users of the PS-3300 and PS-3100 on their 1978 album Brother to Brother and live shows. You might catch a glimpse of a PS in this live show when they take the camera off of Gino.

Gino & Joe did the same with a Korg 800DV to build up the string section sounds on 1976's "The Gist Of The Gemini".

Says Joe Vannelli; "On Gist Of The Gemini we used just a simple little K-3 synthesizer (Maxikorg 800DV). We had the two 24-track machines set up together, then we used one of them entirely for strings. We had written out the whole arrangement, and we recorded each note one at a time! Than meant we had to do something like 65 overdubs.It took us forever...
That's how we did it on all the old records, right up until A Pauper In Paradise."

To reproduce the string sound onstage (1978-79) they used two Korg PS-3300 polyphonic synths (they also had two Korg PS-3100s but those were only used as backup, in case the big ones would go). 

Gino: "What we did was to buy two keyboards and interface them into one of the PS-3300s, with one keyboard in Bill Meyer's setup and the other in Brad Cole's. This way we could switch the string parts back and forth from one to the other as the need arose. The other big Korg was programmed for brass, and the same kind of switching could be done. The synthesizers themselves were kept right beside Joey (Vannelli), so he could tune or fix them if he heard anything wrong. So that's how we got our string and brass onstage, and they really were incredible sounds, so much that we're recording with them right now in the studio, without any overdubs."
(source for quotations: Contemporary keyboard, Nov 1979)

• Like 1

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Jerry K, Michael Whalen and I got a demo of this bad boy and had a chance to play with it for a while.  Lotta fun to be sure…but the $13k price tag is out of my price range. 

Korg sez they’re gonna build these to order.  They also said they weren’t limiting how many they could build.

dB

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

11 minutes ago, The Real MC said:

DSI builds $2-3K polysynths and people loudly complain about the 49 note keyboard being too short.

Korg builds the $13K PS-3300 and nobody bitches about the short 49 note keyboard.

:puff:

Not already pricey enough for you? 😉 The architecture seems to be basically a complete synthesizer per key.  From the OP..."The unique feature of 48-note polyphony means that each unit has...48 low-pass filters, 48 envelope generators, and 48 amplifiers. Combining the 3 units, this makes for a total of 144 filters, 144 envelope generators, and 144 amplifiers." (And this update has 49 of each instead of 48,) I imagine it would be considerably more expensive to basically increase its circuitry by another 25%. But heck, I suppose if you can afford a $13k synth, you can probably afford one that's $16k+...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

2 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

Not already pricey enough for you? 😉 The architecture seems to be basically a complete synthesizer per key.  From the OP..."The unique feature of 48-note polyphony means that each unit has...48 low-pass filters, 48 envelope generators, and 48 amplifiers. Combining the 3 units, this makes for a total of 144 filters, 144 envelope generators, and 144 amplifiers." (And this update has 49 of each instead of 48,) I imagine it would be considerably more expensive to basically increase its circuitry by another 25%. But heck, I suppose if you can afford a $13k synth, you can probably afford one that's $16k+...

Or for $26K you can have 98 keys.

• Like 1

So it's a bit of a moderate sounding polymoog, achitecturally, with no VCO's for the main tone function, but octave divided fixed top octave oscillators? In about that time I built an organ/synthesizer with full polyphony and completely para-phonic filter (meaning one filter for all 49 keys with square wave signals mixed to the mix rail. The best form of that was probably the Radio Shack Concert-mate Moog adapt, which, maybe because of the filter, did sound in interesting, and as I recall the top oscillator could be detuned/modulated.

Repeating MS20 circutiry for such big and expensive synth is a bit overdoing it, me thinks, the sound isn't that superb, usable, but not really great.

TV

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2024 at 9:49 AM, GovernorSilver said:

Anthony Marinelli taking the Korg guy to school.   Synthesis school that is.

What a great demo!   Whew what a monster sound!     Did I see him pulling out his checkbook before the camera cut off? 😂

• Like 1

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 2/3/2024 at 9:41 PM, jazzpiano88 said:

What a great demo!   Whew what a monster sound!     Did I see him pulling out his checkbook before the camera cut off? 😂

didn't he already say he'd bought one? I thought I’d understood it that way at one point. This was his first time actually playing one, though. 

it was GREAT to watch him figure out what a synth does..

• Like 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

1 hour ago, Floyd Tatum said:

I wish I knew how to control an analogue synth like that.   I tried, Lord knows I tried.   I would have been happy to take lessons from someone, but couldn't find any at the time.

If you haven't already, check out more of his videos on his channel.    He really takes a methodical approach and is really good at explaining it.

• Like 1

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3