Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland digital piano chat/ FP10/30x/90x etc. I'm

Hello....I am curious how things are going for those of you who have one of the current batch of Roland digital pianos.                                                                                                                                                                                                                               About three years ago I caught the Roland FP10 bundle deal at Costco. At that time I was not able to get an FP 10 without buying the Costco bundle. But now they have been more available.                                                                                              The FP 10 has worked out pretty well for me. People complain about no 1/4 output....that is not a problem for me. I run the mini jack into RCA inputs into a home stereo amp and have used various home stereo speakers. With this it sounds pretty good and the action is decent though I don't play a lot of chops on it..... Mostly jazz melody harmonizations. I use the hard touch setting to tame the upper harmonics and I get a pretty good balance.                                                                                                                                                                                                                          I don't see a tremendous difference between the FP 10 and the FP 30x. I assume the Supernatural sample is similar but I will say that when I play the 30x at Guitar Center I like it more than all the other Yamaha  and Casios in that price range. For the most part the FP30x does not sound overly bright (Yamaha) or plunky ( Casio ). I am able to achieve a similar sound at home with an amp with EQ and good speakers.                                                                                The one newer Roland I have never heard is the FP90x. I really want to seek one out. Roland just seems to agree with the type of sound I like to hear. I am also curious about Rhodes and organs it might have and also they did put a different action in the 90 x I am curious about. Wondering if anyone is using a 90x on this forum.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   I played a Roland RD 300 GX for 15 years but it has developed an issue. To me the Superior Grand sample was head and shoulders above everything else in 2010. I played  RD 700 GX recently at GC and it sounded as good as most of the new stuff they had. Another reason I look toward Roland.                                                                                           So I am curious about other experiences with Roland digital pianos......thanks                         

• Like 1

You got a great deal, I recall on the FP10.  I agree the 30x isn’t much of a jump.  It’s the same action.  The 30x adds string resonance and half damper.  

The FP90x at its price point is an upgrade in speaker system, output jacks, build quality and action. However, you may find you prefer the PH4 in your FP10 if you are used to it. A more substantial action may or may not be desirable depending on the condition of your hands and wrists (I don’t know if that’s a factor for you).  The V-Piano engine is more editable to taste than the supernatural samples in the lower models.  It’s certainly more detailed.  

If you’re happy with the action on the FP10 another option might be to run a software piano on a desktop, laptop or iPad and run that sound engine to your stereo rather than the internal sound on the FP10.  (the FP10 appears to have both Bluetooth midi and USB midi) 

Another improvement in sound might be getting a nice pair of monitors dedicated to and placed for yourself at the piano.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I tried to get some software happening with this.Ravenscroft was beyond impossible to install. Tried the Pianoteq demo and it didn't sound that great to me. No...30 x not much of a jump.....I think it's basically the same sample.                                                                                                                                                            If you spend time and add some EQ to the FP 10 you can get good results. You get used to the action. Stu Harrison on the Merriam revues loves it....and Roland does use the PHA4 on most of their boards. But once again....it just leaves me curious for how the FP90x might be. I just haven't seen any.                           I get by with the FP 10 for now.Used ones seem to be popping up from the Costco days. I picked up a spare on CL for 150......by the way the action on this a bit more forgiving than my original. Personally.... through decent speakers it sounds warmer than many Yamaha models I have played. As popular as the CP4 is it's way too bright for me.Supernatural modeling is more to my taste.

28 minutes ago, mrk7421 said:

I tried to get some software happening with this.Ravenscroft was beyond impossible to install. Tried the Pianoteq demo and it didn't sound that great to me. No...30 x not much of a jump.....I think it's basically the same sample.                                                                                                                                                            If you spend time and add some EQ to the FP 10 you can get good results. You get used to the action. Stu Harrison on the Merriam revues loves it....and Roland does use the PHA4 on most of their boards. But once again....it just leaves me curious for how the FP90x might be. I just haven't seen any.                           I get by with the FP 10 for now.Used ones seem to be popping up from the Costco days. I picked up a spare on CL for 150......by the way the action on this a bit more forgiving than my original. Personally.... through decent speakers it sounds warmer than many Yamaha models I have played. As popular as the CP4 is it's way too bright for me.Supernatural modeling is more to my taste.

I remember that conversation.  It’s a shame about your issues with Ravenscroft on your pc.  Pianoteq does have quite a few models to pick from, but yes, modeling doesn’t do it for some listeners.  Keep in mind that the FP90x’s piano engine is based on Roland’s modeling engine that came down from their VPiano.   If you run into a Fantom 8 in a shop near you, you can hear both its VPiano and Supernatural pianos side by side on the same action.  

Surprised that there doesn't seem to be much interest in discussing Roland digitals here......                           So that is interesting that the Fantom 8 would have a similar sample to the FP90x. Just about everything else Roland seems to use PHA 4 action and Supernatural model. That is why I was so interested in the FP10 when it came out. It seems like they intentionally backed off on the polyphony so that the 30x would seem that much more impressive.                                                                                                         When the FP10 came out I was able to A/B an FP 30 and an RD2000. I actually preferred the FP30.....once again the overtones on the 30 we're less prominent. Every time I am at GC there is usually an FP30x there and I compare it to whatever Yamaha and Casios are there. I am just not a fan of Yamaha CFX samples for various reasons. But many people love them.....just not for me.                                    I may continue to live with this FP10 for awhile. Through EQ I can get it to sound good. Mostly I am able to tame upper harmonics on the hard touch setting. It is actually pretty amazing for a budget priced piano. I love the weight too. I hope Roland comes out with the FP10 x or something.

4 hours ago, mrk7421 said:

Surprised that there doesn't seem to be much interest in discussing Roland digitals here......                           So that is interesting that the Fantom 8 would have a similar sample to the FP90x. Just about everything else Roland seems to use PHA 4 action and Supernatural model. That is why I was so interested in the FP10 when it came out. It seems like they intentionally backed off on the polyphony so that the 30x would seem that much more impressive.                                                                                                         When the FP10 came out I was able to A/B an FP 30 and an RD2000. I actually preferred the FP30.....once again the overtones on the 30 we're less prominent. Every time I am at GC there is usually an FP30x there and I compare it to whatever Yamaha and Casios are there. I am just not a fan of Yamaha CFX samples for various reasons. But many people love them.....just not for me.                                    I may continue to live with this FP10 for awhile. Through EQ I can get it to sound good. Mostly I am able to tame upper harmonics on the hard touch setting. It is actually pretty amazing for a budget priced piano. I love the weight too. I hope Roland comes out with the FP10 x or something.

The RD2000 also makes use of Roland’s VPiano modeling.   So this may explain why you prefer the sampled sounds.  

For something comparable, take a look at the Kawai ES120 / ES520. 

I used to prefer Roland pianos until I tried Kawai. For both sound and action, in my opinion Kawai has Roland beat. 

I've still got my venerable RD-300sx which is almost 20 years old. It has been retired from road duty and is enjoying the more sedate environment at my local church. When looking to replace this for gigging last year, I almost got the ES520. I ended up buying an RD-88 due to the vastly superior synths and Zen-core engine but it didn't come close to the ES520 for piano. The RD-88 shares the same PHA-4 keybed as the FP-30x. It is good but it isn't Kawai good. 

I'm pretty much set moving forward on only 73 or 76 note weighted keyboards even for home use, as far as I know Roland doesn't play in that space.  If they did I'd definitely take a look.  

Hi

I have an FP-90x which I bought specifically because I love the PHA-50 action - which is the same as the one in the Roland RD 2000 and Fantom 8 (which I had previously owned).

For me it's the best digital stage piano action and I prefer it to the Yamaha and Nord actions which I've tried. I find Yamaha a bit 'soft' and Nord a bit 'clicky'. I think it's more like a 'real' acoustic piano action. But it's all down to personal taste and some might find it a bit 'harder'. Certainly not an action for organ or synth work.

I've not been hugely impressed with the inbuilt speakers and sound of the FP-90x - having previously used the RD-2000 and Fantom with external speakers. It's sounds very middle-y to me and lacking bass. Too much mid range. But I guess it's fine for home practice. And you can connect external speakers. It sounds fantastic through headphones.

I do miss the RD-2000 which had decent on board sounds but was also an incredible control keyboard. Perfect keybed to use in conjunction with a laptop and external speakers.

Hope that helps!

I must admit I liked the 30x when I played it at GC.... not overly bright that is true and playable.   

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Hi The Roland RD300 sx was mentioned above. Does that have the Superior Grand sample? The thing about Kawai particularly is that I was not wild about their EPs.....Also the acoustic sample didn't make me think I couldn't live without it. I was just maybe hoping to hear from someone who has an FP90x....but mainly I am actually hoping to hear one myself. Have also not heard the Yamaha P525 yet.....I sort of like the P515 Bosendoerfer sample. The 515 has been a consideration but I am still curious to hear Roland FP90x first. Sure wish I could find one to demo.

And thanks for feedback on FP90x.Too bad that external speakers may not be up to par because I assume that speakers have a lot to do with weight. I just have to try to get out and hear one

47 minutes ago, mrk7421 said:

Hi The Roland RD300 sx was mentioned above. Does that have the Superior Grand sample? 

Unless it is named differently, no. 

The main pianos are 

X-Ultimate

RD Grand

X-Pure Grand

Hello everybody. 

I have a problem with my new fp90x: sustain pedal doesn't work with the piano sounds (i.e. 17 tones out of 20 in the "piano" list:  sustain only works for the harpsichords and SA piano). You understand this is so frustrating, being the piano sounds those where sustain is more needed. 

I am calling for support, but maybe somebody here could tell me if the problem could be fixed by downloading and reinstalling the operating system file from Roland? 

Thank you in advance! 

On 1/12/2024 at 2:49 AM, Auximon said:

Hello everybody. 

I have a problem with my new fp90x: sustain pedal doesn't work with the piano sounds (i.e. 17 tones out of 20 in the "piano" list:  sustain only works for the harpsichords and SA piano). You understand this is so frustrating, being the piano sounds those where sustain is more needed. 

I am calling for support, but maybe somebody here could tell me if the problem could be fixed by downloading and reinstalling the operating system file from Roland? ou Thank you in advance! 

I don't have a 90 but I have an 80 .... check the Function Setup of the Registrations (for each patch) if the 90 has those, I haven't looked at the 90 manual, so!  .... I suspect it's probaby just not set up (by you)... read the manual. The 80 was a bit obtuse in the setup department in that regard and the Registrations also.... and not a very straight forward interface.  

• Thanks 1

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

31 minutes ago, Legatoboy said:

I don't have a 90 but I have an 80 .... check the Function Setup of the Registrations (for each patch) if the 90 has those, I haven't looked at the 90 manual, so!  .... I suspect it's probaby just not set up (by you)... read the manual. The 80 was a bit obtuse in the setup department in that regard and the Registrations also.... and not a very straight forward interface.  

Thank you, I will try.

On 1/4/2024 at 1:27 PM, Junior74 said:

I do miss the RD-2000 which had decent on board sounds but was also an incredible control keyboard. Perfect keybed to use in conjunction with a laptop and external speakers.

Does the RD-2000 connect both midi and audio in/out over USB…..without having to install proprietary Roland drivers on the laptop? Or only midi ?

• Like 1

It definitely has USB audio.  The manual makes it sound like you do have to install a driver:

"You can connect the RD-2000 via USB to a computer, and use it to

handle audio signals.

To use USB audio functionality, install the “VENDER” driver."

I haven't tried it myself.

I played a RD2000. It seemed decent.  The piano patches had too much grease and needed to be dried some.  The action felt fine. 

I haven’t owned a Roland stage piano since the RD-500. I liked it but I had friends and forum members who started breaking hammers. That scared me so I quickly sold it. 

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

2 hours ago, Leroy C said:

It definitely has USB audio.  The manual makes it sound like you do have to install a driver:

"You can connect the RD-2000 via USB to a computer, and use it to

handle audio signals.

To use USB audio functionality, install the “VENDER” driver."

I haven't tried it myself.

This is standard for the RD series and Fantoms, maybe other Roland stuff too. They are class compliant for USB MIDI but not for USB audio. 

You need to install the drivers and use the board in Vendor mode to get both USB audio and MIDI. This applies both to MacOS and Windows. The generic mode is class compliant and runs without drivers. It is also the only way to connect via USB to an IOS or iPadOS device. So no USB audio for those. 

• Like 2

Not sure how you get to that conclusion. My vintage Roland RD300sx driver is still running on Windows 11 after 20 years. 

Worst case, audio over USB becomes unavailable, the keyboard reverts to the class compliant USB Midi driver and audio gets plugged into an audio interface. Not the greatest hardship. 

Out of interest, own any Apple devices? 

I do not own anything Apple....They are not in my range of affordability. In a nutshell my Roland RD300gx  developed multiple problems in the keybed. Apparently the sound engine still works and I would love to use it.....it still has my favorite Rhodes . I have tried to refer to the manual but....it sounds like I could go USB to computer.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2024 at 3:49 PM, Auximon said:

Hello everybody. 

I am calling for support, but maybe somebody here could tell me if the problem could be fixed by downloading and reinstalling the operating system file from Roland? 

Thank you in advance! 

Hi Everyone, 

I have a similar problem with my FP 10. The sustain effect for piano sounds (4 sounds in FP 10) appears to be very low when using the pedal. For sounds other than the piano, the sustain works normally. I have tried with both DP 2 and DP 10 sustain pedals with same result. Also tried doing factory reset which did not help. All other functions on the piano are working normally. Can anyone help me to resolve this sustain issue with my FP 10 digital piano? 

I've got gas and need to spend it. 

Came down between: 

- PXS-7000 Mustard: $3000 final price, discount drop from $3700. Don't ask...it is what is it where i live (high import costs, terrible customs charges due to inflation etc...)

or

- Roland RD-2000: With discount, it will probably end up around $3000 as well, maybe even a bit more. 

I played the Casio last week and i was impressed by that action. More responsive than what i expected. Unlike any action i've played before, just a blast to play. I was a bit apprehensive about the fast key release bounce but i think it's a matter of getting used to it. 

I played the PHA-50 action two years ago on both an RD-2000 and an LX-705 and it was glorious. Plus the pins they use are peace of mind in terms of keybed durability. Will have a chance to refresh my muscle memory again in couple weeks when the store receives the RD-2000 after being out of stock. My only concern with the RD-2000 is the phobia i have from modeled piano engines. Plus i think it might be an overkill, especially that i'm mainly going to use it in the studio for now to control my beloved Ravenscroft 275. 

I might get back to gigging in the future, so that factor plays a big role why i'm opting for a stage piano. 

Tried the FP-10. The PHA-4 keybed is lovely, though my muscle memory still prefers the PHA-50. 

My decision will be made when i try the RD-2000 again in two weeks, that's when i'll decide. 

• Like 1