Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gig pants?

I'm in the market for a pair or two of strictly gig pants. Something that's nondescript (no cargo pockets), drapes well, reasonably cool, and doesn't fade when washed. Preferably black and maybe khaki. Budget about $30-60.  I have some Dickies 874's that are a nice durable fabric, fit well, but the black fades when washed. I'd be wearing the pants to load in with a t shirt and change into a collared shirt before the gig.

Weekend warrior bars, community festivals, and maybe light corporate gigs.  Any road proven suggestions are welcome.

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

(dearly departed, now serving the Lord in Bryant AR: '58 B3, Bob Schleicher 50C Leslie)

I am partial to my Greg Norman black golf slacks. Being golfing-wear, they are roomy in the crotch and legs, comfortable when sitting and playing.

EDIT: one of the numbers on my tag is 128492, which comes up as this:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=greg+norman+mens+golf+pants+128492&ref=nb_sb_noss

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Black jeans, a size above what you may normally wear. Comfortable, ok for setting up and pulling down. Or wear underwear only - no-one's looking at us anyway.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

A different option, off the beaten path, is tactical pants.  My buddy recommended these to me a few years back, https://www.truspec.com/24-7-series/pants/mens-ascent-pants.  Bought 2 pairs, black and khaki, and used them extensively when I was doing a lot of business travel to Asia.  They look and wear like dockers but very lightweight with tons of pockets, ala cargo pants, and the quality is very good. 

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

When you sit back behind the bass player no one can see your pants. They're lucky I'm wearing pants at all.

Actually when I joined my last band and we practiced about the second time, the BL noticed I had kicked off my flips and was playing barefoot, like I usually do. He said you can't be playing shows barefoot in this band. I said yeah ok whatever. No one ever noticed at shows. I'm not barefoot for set up or load ins, just while I have to tread the expression pedal.

But in the band previous, in fact many bands going back years I play guitar barefoot. In bars, big nightclubs whatever. Again not for loading and setups just showtime.

FunMachine.

Problem with black jeans down here is that you'll swelter.  Nice word, "swelter".

I ended up getting some kind of "outdoor action pants" from Dillard that look kinda like a cross between dress pants and golf pants.  They don't have a bunch of external pockets like cargos.  They are quite thin and made of the same stuff as most athletic gear (ie, not cotton) and stretch.  Way better for hot gigs than any jeans I've used, and more comfy than dress pants (and nobody is going to think they aren't dressy enough, being flat black).

• Thanks 1

It depends partially on lighting, the gig, and the band but in general I follow two rules.  Especially if you have full lighting production.  If you are playing a patio party in the middle of the day for less than a grand wear whatever you want.

CEB guidelines.

1) white or very light colored hat regardless if it is before or after labor day.

2) white pants.

The guidelines come from a conversation with a great light tech before a gig years ago.  He hated black.  Black drums, black clothes, Black instruments.  It works against the light production someone is paying good money for.  If it is a summertime fair show in extreme heat I may wear a t-shirt.  If it is a country gig I may wear a cowboy hat.  I have a bunch of white hats.  I wear white pants.  White pops more in lighting.  I may even wear a black shirt but I will still wear a white hat and white pants.  But I try to go with bright shirts. 

I wish more keyboards were white or silver.  One of the sharpest rigs was a friend who played an Alesis QS6.2 and QS8.2 both in silver on a silver Apex.  Looked great on stage.

But I'm just some dumb guy on the internet.  I post some examples hopefully they post as thumbnails

pink.jpg

red country.jpg

black cuntry.jpg

15873142_1437484546270190_1961262432617039846_n.jpg

13047934_1216891481662832_1891046366692696621_o.jpg

orange.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

My neighbor sewed as easily as she breathed. I had her make me a couple of pairs of black drawstring pants using a pattern for medical scrubs. The fabric was very nice, a wool blend. Being drawstring they didn't lend themselves to tucked-in shirts but shirts were worn untucked anyway.  They were slightly baggy in the leg for a nice flow when I walked and had extremely deep pockets which always came in handy.  The drawstring was helpful when we were overfed at dinner.  I still have them somewhere.  They're excellent pants and wear like iron.  I think these could be made for you within your budget provided you can sew or know someone who does.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

8 hours ago, CEB said:

It depends partially on lighting, the gig, and the band but in general I follow two rules.  Especially if you have full lighting production.  If you are playing a patio party in the middle of the day for less than a grand wear whatever you want.

CEB guidelines.

1) white or very light colored hat regardless if it is before or after labor day.

2) white pants.

The guidelines come from a conversation with a great light tech before a gig years ago.  He hated black.  Black drums, black clothes, Black instruments.  It works against the light production someone is paying good money for.  If it is a summertime fair show in extreme heat I may wear a t-shirt.  If it is a country gig I may wear a cowboy hat.  I have a bunch of white hats.  I wear white pants.  White pops more in lighting.  I may even wear a black shirt but I will still wear a white hat and white pants.  But I try to go with bright shirts. 

I wish more keyboards were white or silver.  One of the sharpest rigs was a friend who played an Alesis QS6.2 and QS8.2 both in silver on a silver Apex.  Looked great on stage.

But I'm just some dumb guy on the internet.  I post some examples hopefully they post as thumbnails

pink.jpg

red country.jpg

black cuntry.jpg

15873142_1437484546270190_1961262432617039846_n.jpg

13047934_1216891481662832_1891046366692696621_o.jpg

orange.jpg

That is a nice look, even the simple orange t-shirt but it really pops with the matching pretty woman. In effect all black attire diminishes how out of shape everyone is while white turns you into a billboard. But the thread is gig pants not gig hats. 5 of your 6 pics don't show pants. 🙂

• Like 1

The golf pants suggestions have been helpful. Not being a golfer, I hadn't considered those.

I'm in fairly decent shape for 76, so I'll pass on the drawstrings and pajama bottoms.

Nothing fancy, just tailored, well fitting dark but serviceable trousers with a collared shirt. I like the dark colors so that if you get the odd stain during load-in, you don't look sloppy for the show. I have a collection of colorful sleazy polyester "barfly" shirts to set off the dark slacks. And I have a nice Dobbs straw pork-pie hat for before Labor Day.😁

I remember some blues artist saying that if you dressed up, you were respecting your audience. 

Other than biker rallies and local blues jams, I'm over t-shirts and jeans for paying gigs regardless of the money.

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

(dearly departed, now serving the Lord in Bryant AR: '58 B3, Bob Schleicher 50C Leslie)

Gig pants also double as part of the job interview clothes along with my one shirt and tie.    Working as a computer SysAdmin had to have the BS job interview clothes even though going to be interviewed by a bunch of people in jeans and t-shirts.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legatoboy said:

who wears pants? 

I keep threatening to wear assless chaps (kinda like those David Lee Roth had) and the band has so far talked me out of it.  

We are playing a clothing-optional joint next year, could be my chance!  I'll make sure I get there early and set up in the front if it's a big stage.

I made a thread on "corporate attire" after our band kinda had a discussion on it.  The bandleader felt we needed to up our game.  I'm not much for the red shirts/black vest/yellow ties etc Disney entertainer outfits that some of our fellow bands go for, so my outfit is generally black shirt and black pants with black shoes.  Yep, boring but that's the corporate thing.  Our female singer stands out as she wears all/most of the color at those things.   At clubs/bars there's more choices but it's kind of nice having a uniform of sorts, sorta like when I attended Catholic school for a couple years--no wondering about what to wear!   

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Dislike 1

18 hours ago, Stokely said:

I keep threatening to wear assless chaps (kinda like those David Lee Roth had) and the band has so far talked me out of it.  

We are playing a clothing-optional joint next year, could be my chance!  I'll make sure I get there early and set up in the front if it's a big stage.

I made a thread on "corporate attire" after our band kinda had a discussion on it.  The bandleader felt we needed to up our game.  I'm not much for the red shirts/black vest/yellow ties etc Disney entertainer outfits that some of our fellow bands go for, so my outfit is generally black shirt and black pants with black shoes.  Yep, boring but that's the corporate thing.  Our female singer stands out as she wears all/most of the color at those things.   At clubs/bars there's more choices but it's kind of nice having a uniform of sorts, sorta like when I attended Catholic school for a couple years--no wondering about what to wear!   

Really, if your sitting  .... leg comfort is necessary.... shorts are usually better with my legs or dress slacks...  I've been crossing my legs while playing sitting at the piano .. that tends to put you more into the keybed and the down pull on the keys is easier and making contact...A trick I learned in my lessons    ........

That's some funny stuff though Stokely... David Lee Roth man - I don't know

• Dislike 1

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122