Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Mag P2 has Landed

Well, it's been a journey but the Mag P2 finally arrived today...most of it at least, the accessory package should be here tomorrow. So far, I absolutely love it. It feels right. I opted for the lighter keyboard, and I went with MAG because it's laid out like a real Hammond so it's all very intuitive. It should feel a little better once I have the volume pedal and the half-moon switch. I'm waiting on those before plugging it into a Leslie (it has a 6-pin Leslie output!) - but running direct going through the internal Ventilator sounds pretty damn good. I'm still getting adjusted, but I'll post more once I get everything hooked up.IMG_2891.thumb.jpeg.965235c8e1197f4196c8e5e200f152c6.jpegIMG_2892.HEIC

• Like 6
  • Cool 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Congrats, that’s a lovely piece of kit.  

How much control of the vent do you have from the MAG interface?  To edit the Vent settings do you have to go inside?  

I haven't tried it yet, but according to the manual you have control over speed, balance, drive, distance, and mode (keyboard or guitar). To program you need to turn on the organ while holding down the Ventilator button, and then it's a series of button pushes to control different parameters. Once you've dialed anything in you can have 2 different presets stored for recall via an A/B switch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

It really looks sleek and super familiar with the drawbar/control layout and reverse "preset" keys. Also, though this might not be for everyone, I love the blue stain on the sides!

The blue is their standard color, I really like it...although I was a little concerned about how it might clash with the standard wood stand. I wanted the blue for any gigs that I'm not using that stand though, so I took the plunge. They do have 3 standard options of colors for the sides though, the other 2 are different wood grains for a more standard look. If you want to pay a little extra, you can customize the end cheeks however you like!

3 hours ago, miden said:

Hate to think how much one of these is!

Yeah, it's definitely not a budget item. I paid a little over $5k

A few years ago I had a bit of an epiphany; As much as I love synths and piano, I always end up bringing B3 into everything that I do. It's really become the heart of my sound on any gigs that I do......and I'm getting my sound from a computer using a controller that only has 8 sliders. (I'm talking about live gigs, I have a C3/Leslie at home). If there is one thing that I want to actually splurge on, it should be a Clonewheel that really gives me the B3 playing experience that I love on the real thing.

I started by looking at the Hammond XK-5 along with the lower manual. Back in the day, I used to have a Hammond endorsement so they're my immediate go-to. Unfortunately, I no longer have any relationship with them, and the street prices of the XK-5 system were really making my eyes water. As I looked at other clones, none of them were set up the way I'm used to playing a Hammond...and I was really thinking about putting my C3 into storage and just having this keyboard be my main B3 even for recording if needed. I hadn't heard about Mag up to this point, and when I stumbled across them doing my research, I fell in love pretty quickly. When I saw that their pricing was actually fairly significantly lower than Hammond I decided to jump on it.

I placed my order before Viscount's recent offerings were available. Honestly, I may have gone with one of the newer Viscounts if they were available just due to $$ and my own fear of spending too much. I'm glad that it happened this way, I absolutely love this thing so far - it's built like a tank, it's a joy to play, and it sounds amazing. The P2 is their premier model...the reverse keys are a total luxury, most people won't need those at all, and the C2 without the reverse keys is definitely cheaper. Mag is way more cost competitive than I would have thought for a boutique item.

• Love 2

This is the video that really sold me on the MAG, and there's not even an actual MAG in the video. It's a comparison of a B3, XK-5, Viscount Legend, and what he calls "The Diversi" which is an older Diversi controller using an HX3 (same engine as the MAG)....all through a Leslie. I really loved the HX3 sound in this...not to mention that Dude is a great player and I love listening to him.

If this is being powered by HX3 or variations how are they getting the chorus vibrato dialed in?.I have spent quite a bit of time at McIntosh Audio in Oregon who services for Keyboard Partner. From what I can tell the HX3 in not all that different from the 3.5 which is what I presume MAG uses. What are they doing to CV that is working out?

4 minutes ago, mrk7421 said:

If this is being powered by HX3 or variations how are they getting the chorus vibrato dialed in?.I have spent quite a bit of time at McIntosh Audio in Oregon who services for Keyboard Partner. From what I can tell the HX3 in not all that different from the 3.5 which is what I presume MAG uses. What are they doing to CV that is working out?

It's hard to comment without context. The version that I received is based on the 3.6 engine, but my understanding is that it's not at all different from 3.5 in software. I know that Max has his own custom settings that he requests from Carsten at Keyboard Partners, but I have no idea how he has the chorus vibrato set any differently from a standard HX3. All I can say is that I've been playing it on it's own for less than 24 hours and have mainly kept the chorus on C3, and have not done any kind of A/B with the real thing. At this point, any time I've switched on the chorus I've been pleased by the effect....but that's WAY less than a scientific response.

5 minutes ago, synthdogg said:

It's hard to comment without context. The version that I received is based on the 3.6 engine, but my understanding is that it's not at all different from 3.5 in software. I know that Max has his own custom settings that he requests from Carsten at Keyboard Partners, but I have no idea how he has the chorus vibrato set any differently from a standard HX3. All I can say is that I've been playing it on it's own for less than 24 hours and have mainly kept the chorus on C3, and have not done any kind of A/B with the real thing. At this point, any time I've switched on the chorus I've been pleased by the effect....but that's WAY less than a scientific response.

And seriously, check out the video posted above. He has the chorus on pretty much the whole time.

5 minutes ago, synthdogg said:

i have both the HX3.5 and 3.6 .  they are very close sound wise , i think the 3.6 is a little richer or refined , it also has a better reverb and much better pedal base . there's 

also way more tweakablity , if that's what you're into . the newer board , i believe , has more memory capacity and can store some additional organ models , which have 

recently become available . one of the things that stands out with the HX3 sound engine is its' FPGA chip , its got a very analog " feel " to it . the way the notes come off

your fingers . nothing digital about it . i don't own a MAG , but i've played one , a P2 . hands down the most well made clone out there . was blown away by the build quality 

Can't tell a thing about CV with Leslie on or sim on ....sorry. I have HX3 but default CV on that was never close enough for me in the way Crumar or Viscount are. My original Numa 1 had some of the best CV but has developed a glitsch unfortunately

16 hours ago, mrk7421 said:

Can't tell a thing about CV with Leslie on or sim on ....sorry. I have HX3 but default CV on that was never close enough for me in the way Crumar or Viscount are. My original Numa 1 had some of the best CV but has developed a glitsch unfortunately

Got it, I didn't realize you had a previous issue/dislike of the HX3 C/V. Sorry I can't comment further on the differences, so far I've liked the effect, but I've also only used it with a Leslie or Leslie effect as that's the only way I ever really use it.

1 hour ago, Floyd Tatum said:

Are you using the Mini Vent option in the C2?  Or the sim built into the maggie, or something else?

Mini-Vent into the MAGGIE. I’m not really a huge fan of the Vent. Been using the internal sim with my Motion Sound amp as of late. 

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

10 minutes ago, Mitch Towne said:

Mini-Vent into the MAGGIE. I’m not really a huge fan of the Vent. Been using the internal sim with my Motion Sound amp as of late. 

Mitch Towne, you’re a badass!

and it sounds like Max has something up his sleeve as an internal Leslie sim solution. I’m excited to hear what he comes up with!

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Mitch Towne said:

i have a motion sound MS 610 and a MAGGIE , to my ears ,the MAGGIE  has a more accurate sound for my hx3.6 based organ . i  have the 122 mode switched off 

on the amp though ,  so i can run the vent through it . otherwise it's way to much midrange color going on  .

4 hours ago, Mitch Towne said:

I’m not really a huge fan of the Vent. Been using the internal sim with my Motion Sound amp as of late. 

Great playing! 👍 Could you tell what you don´t like about the Vent? And why you prefer the internal sim?

I´m on HX3 3.4 and was thinking of if it´s worth upgrading to 3.6. But then my Vent probably has to go, to even out the price difference.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

On 12/7/2023 at 7:47 PM, bill bosco said:

i have both the HX3.5 and 3.6 .  they are very close sound wise , i think the 3.6 is a little richer or refined , it also has a better reverb and much better pedal base . there's 

also way more tweakablity , if that's what you're into . the newer board , i believe , has more memory capacity and can store some additional organ models , which have 

recently become available . one of the things that stands out with the HX3 sound engine is its' FPGA chip , its got a very analog " feel " to it . the way the notes come off

your fingers . nothing digital about it . i don't own a MAG , but i've played one , a P2 . hands down the most well made clone out there . was blown away by the build quality 

Thanks for the info! 👍

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Having trouble finding explanation on their website.   

So if you opt not to have a Ventilator installed in the MAG does it use the HX3 Leslie simulation instead?   Or have they developed an internal Leslie of their own?  

HX3 has its own internal leslie.  In addition, as options, you can choose to have a Vent installed so that you have the choice of two different internal leslies to choose from.  Also, you can add a 6 pin and/or an 11 pin external leslie connector. What I like about it is that it is a hardware based solution as opposed to software. I still dont find it to be any better than VB3, to me it's no different than two different hammonds. i'd rather take 1/2 the money and buy a Tornado T115 tube leslie, that difference is substantial.  If you can get to this link, have a listen .....     https://www.facebook.com/groups/1449903441935326/permalink/3553075221618127/?ref=share&mibextid=N1Sdnf

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

7 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Having trouble finding explanation on their website.   

So if you opt not to have a Ventilator installed in the MAG does it use the HX3 Leslie simulation instead?   Or have they developed an internal Leslie of their own?  

The Ventilator is an optional add-on for sure. You could absolutely opt out of the Vent and use the HX3's own Leslie simulator, but I'm not sure how Max sets that up. That would be a great question for him. One of the cool things about his Ventilator set up is how he has the whole thing synced with the Leslie 122 output, so the Half-moon switch and pedal trigger have the same result with the Leslie and the Vent speeds, always in sync fast and slow.  I'm not sure how he sets that up with the internal Leslie sim.

Through communication with Max, it sounds like he's in the final stages of designing his own Leslie simulator to replace the Ventilator...I'm very excited to hear what he comes up with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1