Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do any of you still stand and not sit when playing live?

Just an observation, those of us of a certain age who used to stand on stage when playing, well, many of us now sit.

Just wondering if any of you former "standers" now sit....or are you still upright?

There was a stretch of time (80's especially) when standing was the norm, probably because it was part of the show, or multiple synths, etc.

• Like 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

I have always played and performed only sitting.  For me, I utilize the sustain pedal greatly in my style of play, as well as utilizing most of the 88-note keyboard.  Both techniques require me to be seated when playing.

• Like 1

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).

I would sit if it were up to me.....  But it was expected of me that I needed to stand.  So I stood for all two times I have played live in front of other people.

And it was at those times I realized I need a spacer of an inch or two to bring my lower board up to the correct height!  That'll be for next time.

• Like 2

I'm of a certain age (62), and generally my tendency is:

• Jazz gig, I sit
  • Any other type of gig, I stand

Reasons for standing include better energy when standing (this is true for just about every human activity, including talking on the phone, BTW), being part of the show, taking less room on small stages, etc.

• Like 4

I have always sat or stood based on the gig type.  It depends on the gig.  What the pedaling requirements are… Old school piano or organ type gigs I’m playing from the seat.  Pop or keyboard gigs I stand.  If I’m doubling on guitar I stand with my left side to the audience. 

• Like 3

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I ALWAYS stand. Only time I sit is at a grand piano or stationary organ. And even then, when I get to rocking out, I often stand up in my chair, particularly on piano. Yeah, I come from a classical background, but unless I'm playing concertos, I'm on my feet. I'm 42, so maybe that will change... yeah, doubt it. In my seven years of playing 5-hour nights in Waikiki, I only sat once, and that was directly after I sprained my ankle doing a stage dive on keytar.

• Like 6

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

OP here......why I asked is....

Last summer, I got pulled into some sit-in gigs for the first time in over a decade when visiting with some musician friends. I used to play every weekend, and always stood, and was always a visible part of the show. However, in that decade off, I gained 50 pounds (5 pounds per year adds up thanks to beer and Mexican food and laziness) and became ten years older. The weight and age (and the break from gigs) made me realize that a four-hour gig, well, it really kind of made me think about sitting for the first time ever....I felt tired and kind of wiped out, but I wanted to still be a viable and visible part of "the show." It also made me look around and see that most of my keyboardist colleagues now sit. Weekend bar gigs in pop, classic rock, country, etc.

Most of this is part of what I'm going through now...trying to age gracefully. Recently joined a gym, hitting the Pelaton, kinda-sorta watching my intake diet (though I need to do better), and turning 60 in a month. Part of me wanting to stand is to rage against getting older, I think! Was never a sit-down piano/Hammond guy....only synths, though ironically most of the music I've played is piano/Hammond classic rock stuff.

Just wondering where you're all at with such things and thanks....as I get my gear back and my chops back and plot my return, visible presentation from the aging keyboard guy is now on my mind.

KL

• Like 3

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

54 minutes ago, kpl1228 said:

Part of me wanting to stand is to rage against getting older, I think! Was never a sit-down piano/Hammond guy....

Me too!  I haven't given up standing yet -- and did so for my first gig with a live band in 41 years just a week or so ago!

Old No7

Perfect Strangers 12.jpeg

• Like 6

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I prefer standing.  It's not that I dance around or anything, and I probably do play better sitting.  That said, I do a lot of singing and prefer standing for that.  I'm no spring chicken at 56 and trying my best currently to get in shape but that's a work in progress!   I have poor circulation in one leg due to past surgery and sitting actually makes it worse.  Standing I at least take a few steps around and that helps a tad.

I'm in a 5 piece and often the stage area dictates that me and the drummer are in the back, so there's also the issue that I'd be invisible on stage (which again for singing lead is not a great thing...we have 4 different lead singers or else I'd probably be up front more.)  Not going to drag out some kind of riser.

The only gigs I've sat at for the past five years have been ones where I have had a foot injury (couldn't wear shoes for a couple weeks on one foot) or ones where the stage is so tight that I literally can't move a step.  If I do sit, I like a tall stool that is as close to standing height as possible.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, timwat said:

I'm of a certain age (62), and generally my tendency is:

• Jazz gig, I sit
  • Any other type of gig, I stand

Reasons for standing include better energy when standing (this is true for just about every human activity, including talking on the phone, BTW), being part of the show, taking less room on small stages, etc.

This is exactly my mindset on this topic. I turn 50 on Christmas Day.

• Like 2

I sit standing 😅

OK, let me explain. I set my K&M stool high, so I can sit on it, but legs are close to full extension. That way I am not hidden by the keyboard and the Spider Pro stand, but can also rest a bit and, what is important, can use the pedals with ease.

BTW I'm 55 and about 1,75m tall and 72kg or so

• Like 5

I do both depending on gig. Jazz and piano only gigs - sitting..... pop/rock gigs - standing. Just adds "energy" I think to how the punters perceive you.

• Like 2

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Same as most - Jazz jobs sitting. For the bands I will sit on some songs & stand on others. Purchasing Mr. Doerffler's organ type bench from the classifieds gave the ability to set high enough to do both with minimal transition and I added a purchase of the Knox Gear stand discussed in the latest keyboard stands thread a few weeks ago. It gives me a stable. yet higher, position for the board* The reason for the asterisk is that I just received my second one today. One of the bolts that holds the top part of one of the lattices had broken off last Saturday. Thanks to Amazon's generous return policy I was able to get a replacement with no hassles. Now let's see how long this one lasts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kpl1228 said:

part of what I'm going through now...trying to age gracefully. Recently joined a gym, hitting the Pelaton, kinda-sorta watching my intake diet (though I need to do better), and turning 60 in a month.

From a health perspective, today's conventional medical wisdom is, the less you can sit, the better. Most of us are too sedentary, especially as we get older. So from that perspective alone, you're better off standing and also keeping your body in motion, to whatever extent you're comfortable. 

• Like 5

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

3 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

65, and as Elton would say, I'm still standing.

Exactly what I was going to say!  Great minds think alike.

The rare instances of piano, seated of course.  Everything else I stand and even reach the sustain pedal while standing.  I am now 66 by the way.

• Like 1

If only playing keys I sit.

I'm a guitar player too and if required I'll set the boards up to stand so I can change between the two quicker.  Lately I don't have any songs that require me to change Keys->guitar in mid song, but I used to have to do that a lot.

• Like 2

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Seeing a trend.  I don't (can't) play anything resembling jazz or classical and I'm wracking my brain to think of anyone doing those genres that I can recall that stands to play.  I'm sure there are some, stands to reason there's some rebels out there :) 

• Like 2

Rock bands, i've always stood (ever since seeing Doug Ingle with Iron Butterfly at my first ever rock concert in 1968 - so yes that makes me of a certain age, and then some).

Solo / One-man band gigs i sit (though i might stand for the occasional sax solo).

-- Jimbo

3 hours ago, EricBarker said:

I only sat once, and that was directly after I sprained my ankle doing a stage dive on keytar.

Wow, exactly the same happened to me !!!  Must be an occupational hazard. 😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimboKeys said:

Must be an occupational hazard. 😄

Which one is the hazard  --  The stage dive?  Or playing the keytar?  😁

Old No7

• Haha 2

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I do what "Mr. Magnificent" does.   You know. "the purty, purty, purty one"?     "The Beautiful One"?

(btw this topic had a 3 page thread a few months ago.   I've mellowed out a bit after then pronouncing standing circus pianists as looking ridiculous)

Screenshot2023-11-29at7_35_09PM.thumb.png.afe86157c07650f02c093aa150ab2ee9.png

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3