Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The synth that would wake you from a coma?

8 hours ago, CEB said:

MemoryMoog through proper sound reinforcement. 18 oscillators in unison. 

as someone put it on the analogue heaven mailing list back in the late 90s: 

“a near-religious experience”

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Put headphones on my sleeping head and for 3 days play me the first half of ELP's Welcome Back My Friends triple album with those unique modular Moog sounds (Hoedown, Jerusalem, Toccata, Tarkus/Aquatarkus) and then that 400 kV synth on Psyché Rock (Messe pour le Temps Présent). If I don't wake up after 3 days with those immortal synth pieces playing in the headphones, I can be disconnected.

10 hours ago, Docbop said:

whatever synth is being played by Herbie Hancock.  When the Master plays I listen. 

👍

I just saw Herbie Saturday night for the first time... inexplicably it took me until I was 61.  Have to hand it to him; at 83 still taking chances with some out there stuff; particularly some synth interplay between him and the guitarist who used lots of novel effects.   Terence Blanchard was the highlight for me. 

• Like 2

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Ob-Xa.

I can sleep through anything so a coma? It would need Oberheim punch to do it.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

On 9/12/2023 at 3:02 PM, PianoMan51 said:

The Telharmonium.

Good luck finding one! :D :D

Also, several of the instrument's own players have described its sound as "irritating".
(thinking about it, maybe an irritating sound would have more chances to wake you up... :freak: :classic_laugh: )

The synth matters less than the sound system. If its efficient enough to make things SOUND good, I'll wake up. Of course, it might be because I want to play the synth OR kill the person who woke me from a coma. Maybe both.:chainsaw:

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

On 9/12/2023 at 9:01 AM, Sam Mullins said:

I just saw Herbie Saturday night for the first time... inexplicably it took me until I was 61.  Have to hand it to him; at 83 still taking chances with some out there stuff; particularly some synth interplay between him and the guitarist who used lots of novel effects.  

Hah, you're a newbie! I saw him during the "Headhunters" period. His piano work is so lyrical, there are no comparisons unless you look to people of the same caliber, like Chick Corea. If you belong in The Top anything, you're fully arrived. His Rhodes work was a new thing for me then, but its an early moment that taught me to have EP Luv. His ARP work was also inspiring, as I'd been hearing mostly Moogs, so it was a full musical meal.

• Like 2

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

17 minutes ago, David Emm said:

Hah, you're a newbie! I saw him during the "Headhunters" period. His piano work is so lyrical, there are no comparisons unless you look to people of the same caliber, like Chick Corea. If you belong in The Top anything, you're fully arrived. His Rhodes work was a new thing for me then, but its an early moment that taught me to have EP Luv. His ARP work was also inspiring, as I'd been hearing mostly Moogs, so it was a full musical meal.

I saw Herbie H on the Headhunter tour as well. We had the album until we wore it out. Great show!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

2 hours ago, Dr Nursers said:

Roland D-50 - they'd just have to play a few notes each on the first dozen presets and I'd be awake

Eric Persing is a genius.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

So is their any vintage synth that hasn't been virtualised? Would you wake if you heard an authentic virtual version of your dream synth?

I remember owning a Roland SH5 back in the early 80's . It's signature sound at the time was the ring modded dual oscillator with mega portamento!

Gives me shivvvers down the spine when I hear that! (Not necessarily in a good way)

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

On 9/12/2023 at 10:01 AM, Sam Mullins said:

👍

I just saw Herbie Saturday night for the first time... inexplicably it took me until I was 61.  Have to hand it to him; at 83 still taking chances with some out there stuff; particularly some synth interplay between him and the guitarist who used lots of novel effects.   Terence Blanchard was the highlight for me. 

Same, I listened and emulated him (like everybody else) for 30+ years before finally seeing him live a couple times recently. It was pretty magical, especially this year at Newport. Note to self: next time don't wait so long.

Having recently played a Yamaha GX-1 through its custom sound system with the gigantic tower speakers, I believe that anyone who could sleep through that is actually dead. My GOD, what a sound…

If that couldn’t fit in the hospital room, I could probably manage with a CS-80. Probably. 

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Just one note, a lot of times, with filters:  Either the intro (actually transition) sequence for Karn Evil 9 First Impression part 2, or better yet the sequenced motif that starts ELPowell's "The Score."  Either one would make me want to wake up so I could start playing the next part.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361