Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

3 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Wonder if it was the same Commanders CB...

Different CB. Similar result. 

Commanders defensive line is stacked with 1st round draft picks. We'll paid. They should've steam-rolled da Bears.

Instead, QB Justin had Fields day shredding the Commanders defense with his arm and legs. 

Defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio should be fired tomorrow morning.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

2 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

RIP to a Bears legend.

They finally mentioned Dick Butkus, about 10 min. into the halftime chit chat.

They mentioned Butkus before the game began. They mentioned him during the post-game as well.

image.thumb.png.b01af89a8f0a4466ed8b2473046eb1d0.png

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Wonder if it was the same Commanders CB who went for the ball, missed so that DJ Moore caught it for a big gainer.... then made the same mistake again so that this time Moore ran for a TD.

The defender even grazed the ball, but it was not to be. Sometimes you gamble and win, and sometimes it doesn't go your way.

8 hours ago, ProfD said:

Commanders defensive line is stacked with 1st round draft picks. We'll paid. They should've steam-rolled da Bears.

Instead, QB Justin had Fields day shredding the Commanders defense with his arm and legs. 

Defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio should be fired tomorrow morning.😎

Nothing like a trip to DC to resurrect a struggling QB's career.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

1 hour ago, bill5 said:

Yeah it's weird how the Skins' D has mostly sucked this year.

Agreed.  I have no explanation considering Commanders defense was supposed to be strength of the team this season. 

I'm still waiting for the defense to show up.  On average, the team is giving up 32 points per game.🙄😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

So is the Commander's team name changing again? Keep seeing stories on my feed about it. Not back to the Redskins, but to maybe something else? Not lobbying for it (at all), and absolutely not trying to resurrect a Redskins discussion (just wondering). I think Commanders is good, actually.

RIP to Butkus too. We're all getting older.  First I heard about it was here on KC, so thanks for the news updates here.

My Browns showing their true colors @ 2-2. No depth and QB issues. Some things never change!

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

On 10/4/2023 at 11:38 PM, KenElevenShadows said:

Also - and now I'm going to start sounding like a Fields apologist when I'm not - go back and look at the replays of Fields' turnovers. Now, I'm not absolving him of blame completely, but the first turnover, Getsy had been scheming roll-outs where the tight end blocks every time. Except for THAT time. He schemed with no tight end, letting a  Nik Bonitto run in completely unblocked. Fields turns around and the guy's already on him. 

It sounds like you are. I have seen him play in every game. He doesn't pass the eye test. He holds the ball too long. He doesn't throw anyone open. It's hard to explain away 40 turnovers in 32 games. Can't keep blaming the other players for his mistakes. Yes, the coaching staff is terrible. Poles is not a good GM. The Bears are better served starting from scratch and continuing to stay in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes as opposed to winning five or six games. But knowing the Bears they will win just enough to put themselves out of the running for Williams and keep Fields. (Or worse, pick another bad QB in the first round.)  It's just the McCaskey way.

1 hour ago, Dave Bryce said:

I haven’t come across too many people who thought Commanders was the best choice. :idk:

Nor have I.

Everyone here seemed to regard Commanders as a joke name.  Some, besides Snyder wanted to keep the old name.  Others preferred Pigskins, Hogs, Red Wolves, Football Team, Washington FC...  anything but Commanders really

Both Washington Football Team and Washington Commanders grew on me.  

Probably because I want to see a competitive team on the field and winning regardless of the name.

If new ownership comes up with a different team name....that's fine.  I just hope they're committed to a building a winning team.

in other news, WR Chase Claypool has been traded from da Bears to the Dolphins.

Hopefully, teaming up with QB Tagovailoa and WRs Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle will help Claypool as a player.😎

PD

15 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Nor have I.

Everyone here seemed to regard Commanders as a joke name.  Some, besides Snyder wanted to keep the old name.  Others preferred Pigskins, Hogs, Red Wolves, Football Team, Washington FC...  anything but Commanders really

The Football Team is just about the lamest name possible, which is why I think Snyder chose it and why I prefer it. If fans are going to pitch a fit about Redskins, that's what they deserve. Pigskins is probably the best "real" choice IMO (despite being a little silly) because then they're still "the Skins" and it also pays homage to the OL "Hogs." 

The logo could be a pig with a couple of feathers like the old logo. ;) 

I just can't believe they're ready to change it already after it was just changed. I'm not wild about Commanders, but it's not all that bad. Plus it can't offend anyone, which seems to be all anyone cares about anymore. 

59 minutes ago, bill5 said:

The Football Team is just about the lamest name possible, which is why I think Snyder chose it and why I prefer it. If fans are going to pitch a fit about Redskins, that's what they deserve. Pigskins is probably the best "real" choice IMO (despite being a little silly) because then they're still "the Skins" and it also pays homage to the OL "Hogs." 

The logo could be a pig with a couple of feathers like the old logo. ;) 

I just can't believe they're ready to change it already after it was just changed. I'm not wild about Commanders, but it's not all that bad. Plus it can't offend anyone, which seems to be all anyone cares about anymore. 

I thought Football Team was the name assigned by the NFL because Snyder couldn't come up with a new name in time after he was forced to drop the old one.    

Not that it matters now.  As the new ownership stated the ship has sailed on the old name, never to return.

Commanders was apparently chosen by the Snyders without any fan input.  I guess that's why its unpopular among fans?  Just a wild guess.

Didn't know about another name change myself until that post about Magic Johnson showed up.  He said something back in July about it being on the table, along with a bunch of other stuff.   Never got an impression about name change being a high priority.   I'm guessing taking a hard look at the coaching staff might be a way higher priority if they don't get the season that they want.

9 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

I thought Football Team was the name assigned by the NFL because Snyder couldn't come up with a new name in time after he was forced to drop the old one.    

Oh, interesting, can't say. I like my story better. ;)  

Commanders was apparently chosen by the Snyders without any fan input.  I guess that's why its unpopular among fans?  Just a wild guess.

Not sure about that either, but I thought there was some selection process that wasn't just whatever he said, though he probably had the final say.

Anyway the Claypool move was a smart one by the Fins. Low cost, high upside. Seems to me the Bears were rather impatient there, but of course easy for me to say. 

Pittsburgh doesn't get rid of good players and the Bears were desperate enough to seek help at the WR spot.  Giving up a 2nd rounder was a big mistake by Poles. Claypool has all the physical gifts but he's a head case, a malcontent.  You can argue that the Bears coaches suck and didn't us him correctly, but I don't think the same argument applies to the Steelers -- they got rid of him for a reason.  The move cost MIA next to nothing, and the Bears are lucky to get anything for Claypool. It will be interesting to see how McDaniel works him into the rotation. It's not like they needed a WR.  For the Bears it was addition by subtraction.

3 hours ago, bill5 said:

Bills struggling against the Jags in the early game...

I wonder when the Bills plan on committing to their running game. That team could have benefitted from picking up RB Ezekiel Elliott.😎

PD

On 10/6/2023 at 11:35 AM, weegeebored said:

It sounds like you are. I have seen him play in every game. He doesn't pass the eye test. He holds the ball too long. He doesn't throw anyone open. It's hard to explain away 40 turnovers in 32 games. Can't keep blaming the other players for his mistakes. Yes, the coaching staff is terrible. Poles is not a good GM. The Bears are better served starting from scratch and continuing to stay in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes as opposed to winning five or six games. But knowing the Bears they will win just enough to put themselves out of the running for Williams and keep Fields. (Or worse, pick another bad QB in the first round.)  It's just the McCaskey way.

Well, you're wrong. If I say that I'm not doing it, then I'm not doing it and you'll just have to respect that.

I've already acknowledged all that numerous times. He holds the ball too long. He makes poor decisions. He tries too much. Not sure how many more times I have to say it.

But I also acknowledge that he is an explosive player who does a lot of amazing things, such as breaking franchise records for passes, connecting with a receiver for three touchdowns, and so forth when put in a better spot. His upside is sky-high. 

Put him on a different team and he might be - notice I am saying MIGHT - be a really solid QB. I don't know if he can be elite despite all his gifts, but he could be a really good, explosive QB. Maybe. But we don't know because if there's any one thing the Bears excel at, it's not developing QBs. They have a giant history of doing that.

Since we're talking about Caleb Williams, if just about any team gets the #1 pick, they are probably going to need to pick this guy. He seems too good not to do it.

11 minutes ago, JazzPiano88 said:

Well no Sh*t. 

Welcome to reality, as much as people cannot admit any mental deficiencies in your sports analysis.

I've had no problem being called out by everyone here whenever I've been wrong in my sports analyses.  

I recently said something on this thread people thought was inaccurate, misinformed or whatever.  Scroll up to see how I reacted, lol.

A Cowbums loss makes for a great day of football. The Bums getting carved up and crushed makes it even better.😁😎

• Haha 1

PD

The Eagles stay undefeated after Hurts has a performance that looks more like the 2022 Hurts and the defense plays the way it was expected they would. Admittedly,  I was nervous about this game.  It was their first game against an established quality QB and Stafford was getting Cupp back.  The Birds secondary is patched together because of injuries but after getting shredded in the 1st half they hung in long enough to unleash rookie Jalen Carter (2 sacks) and finally Hassan Reddick (2sacks) got it going. 
   The Eagles can beat you in so many different ways but they have yet to play a complete game in all phases. They were not good in the Red Zone on Sunday. In 2 weeks they  have a tough stretch of Dolphins, Cowboys, Chiefs, Bills & 49’ers lined up and if they can come out of that 3-2 I’d be happy.  

ps. It looks as if the 49ers are on a mission and I know they have the date Dec 3 at Philly circled.  

17 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

Well, you're wrong. If I say that I'm not doing it, then I'm not doing it and you'll just have to respect that.

I've already acknowledged all that numerous times. He holds the ball too long. He makes poor decisions. He tries too much. Not sure how many more times I have to say it.

But I also acknowledge that he is an explosive player who does a lot of amazing things, such as breaking franchise records for passes, connecting with a receiver for three touchdowns, and so forth when put in a better spot. His upside is sky-high. 

Overreact much? I'm not wrong.  I don't know you from Adam; respect isn't automatic for me.  I commented about one post which gave me the impression that you were defending Fields. I'm not going to track down everything you have written about him. It's not that important to me.  So in the words of a former NFC North QB...chillax.