Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

Yeah, exactly. If you have Mahomes, you must still include them in the conversation. Well, him and Andy Reid.

• Like 1

Definitely would not bet against the KC law firm of Reid, Mahomes & Kelce. 

The Chiefs haave already proven to win with a changing cast of characters. Injuries is their Kryptonite.

The other side of it is having an AFC team peak at the right time in the season to challenge the Chiefs.

That peak happened with the Giants teams who won the Super Bowl twice against the Pats.

Of course, the Giants won't be repeating that feat any time soon.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Teams who have peaked at the right time without necessarily being the best team have won titles for sure - it started with the Jets in SB III (granted they were lucky that Unitas was hurt and didn't play until late in the game when realistically the game was already decided). 

Yeah the Browns beat the 49ers and Jets beat the Eagles?? Who saw that coming?? 

I only saw the last quarter or so of the Jets game. Jets' defense carried that team big time and Hurts threw some ill-advised passes to basically give it to the Jets. I have to wonder what would have happened with the Jets with Rodgers in there this year. 

Any given Sunday in effect today.

Injuries and a number of factors will enable the underdog team to win. Missed FGs help too.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

2 hours ago, bill5 said:

What an ending to that game, close one, Bills almost gave it away at the end

They should have lost it. Obvious holding and PI in the ends zone. 

• Like 2

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Is it just me, or is the refereeing in general a bit harder to comprehend/accept this season than usual?

A couple of calls at the end of the Niners/Browns game yesterday made me scratch my head.

dB

• Like 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

4 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

Is it just me, or is the refereeing in general a bit harder to comprehend/accept this season than usual?

I have no idea anymore what is or isn’t pass interference in the NFL, and I watch a lot of football.  On the other hand, the NFL has a way to go before it reaches the excremental depths of incontinent officiating on display in NHL playoff hockey or the routine calling of balls and strikes in Major League Baseball.

"The more a man looks at a thing, the less he can see it, and the more a man learns a thing, the less he knows it."

--G.K. Chesterton.  A lazy rationalization for not practising as much as I should

My Browns, with a bunch of scrubs, beat the undefeated Niners. Took a Niners missed kick, but we'll take it.

I'm hoping for .500. The preseason Browns hype was crazy. And way off.

All the griping about the refs I don't get, though there was a bad spot that should have been reviewed. The Browns fans (and home announcers nonstop) were saying the refs stole the game (until the Browns won) and the Niners message boards all said the same after they lost, including both spitting out conspiracy theories about fixing games that would make tinfoil hat people shake their head. This ain't pro wrestling.

Still say it's SF and Buf for the title.

And for what it's worth I enjoy seeing music nerds weigh in on off-topic stuff like this. Call it community-building.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

9 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

It's been going downhill for years...

33 minutes ago, kpl1228 said:

conspiracy theories about fixing games that would make tinfoil hat people shake their head.

Yeah there couldn't be any cheating in the NFL. Just ask Tom Brady and Bill Bilichek.

1 minute ago, bill5 said:

I only saw mostly the 4Q but wow the Chargers looked bad last night. Herbert couldn't hit the side of a barn door. 

Maybe the fractured finger and wearing the glove compromised his ability to play as well as the team is willing to admit. 

Chargers had no shortage of weapons on the field especially with the return of RB Austion Ekeler.

This was the same Cowbums team that looked JV in getting blown out by the 49ers last week. 

Then again, those same 49ers lost to the Browns.  Injuries are no excuse for losing to a rag-tag team.

I still don't believe it's just a matter of any given Sunday leading to better teams losing to lessor opponents. 

At some point, maybe the NFL and Draft Kings will explain what's really happening.😁😎

PD

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

I still don't believe it's just a matter of any given Sunday leading to better teams losing to lessor opponents. 

At some point, maybe the NFL and Draft Kings will explain what's really happening.😁😎

…and why the ‘72 Dolphins are still the only team in NFL history to go undefeated. 

• Haha 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Herbert was under pressure throughout the game.

Starting center was already out.  Backup center was visibly limping after just a few plays in the 1st quarter.  Dunno why he wasn't pulled for the 3rd stringer - obviously could not keep up when the Pokes decided to pass rush up the middle.    Sacks/pressures also came from the outside, thanks to futile TEs playing revolving door.  I've heard Kellen Moore loves to run 2 TE sets but this does not work well when you don't have a TE who can block.   

Defense dominated this game, which surprised me because Staley's defense has been so porous.  

Staley once again passed up a FG opportunity.  But at this point I'd gotten tired enough of his coaching that I didn't mind the missed opportunity to stay up late for overtime.

Herbert did not have a great game. 

But the rest of team also sucked at various points.  Coaching continues to be substandard.

The Cowpokes also tried to give the game away but their degree of incompetence was just less enough to earn the win.

NFL tries to schedule the better games on Monday night and the crappier ones on Thurs but sometimes we still get a stinker on Mondays like this one.  Such is human imperfection.

12 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

But the rest of team also sucked at various points.  Coaching continues to be substandard.

Brotha Gov, does that mean bringing in new OC Kellen Moore was a sideways move and/or if he isn't part of the substandard coaching.😎

PD

Quentin Johnson, who was drafted to be the Chargers #3 receiver, has more drops than reception. With Mike Williams out the Chargers don't have many options. I thought Mondays game was more like chess match between two coordinators that had faced each other in practice for 3 years, and Dan Quinn won.

Jennifer S.

32 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

I thought Mondays game was more like chess match between two coordinators that had faced each other in practice for 3 years, and Dan Quinn won.

Great observation.  In addition to drops and injuries, that chess match could have definitely affected the game outcome.😎

PD

6 hours ago, ProfD said:

Brotha Gov, does that mean bringing in new OC Kellen Moore was a sideways move and/or if he isn't part of the substandard coaching.😎

The camera caught him doing this, which shows he and the players are not on the same page yet.  In that sense,  he could be fairly criticized for not having the players 100% prepared to execute his offense.  OTOH, the process of players learning a new offense so well they can execute it in their sleep, like a finely tuned machine,  is rarely a speedy one.

fnVgkQ-e1697541722761.jpg?w=1000&h=600&c

Some peeps are moaning about the playcalling but bottom line, Herbert did miss several throws that he should have made, when he had the protection.

So no, I'm not calling for Kellen Moore to be fired just yet.  He'll eventually get Herbert back on track.  He did after all coach Dak for several years.  Dak is not a true elite QB, but the production Moore got out of him, when he wasn't going off script in certain infamous playofff games, has been well documented.

Quentin Johnston is actually #4 on the depth chart, with Josh Palmer being #3.  I think the expectation for QJ to beat Palmer for #3  in 2023 was premature, given that Palmer has more pro experience and rapport with Herbert.  I admit, I too expected QJ to win the #3 spot right away, but I underestimated Palmer's work ethic and determination to hang on to that spot.  Herbert does not seem to look QJ's way very often for whatever reason... when he's actually on the field that is.   QJ logged only 35 snaps compared to 70+ each for Palmer and Allen.

13 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

OTOH, the process of players learning a new offense so well they can execute it in their sleep, like a finely tuned machine,  is rarely a speedy one.

So no, I'm not calling for Kellen Moore to be fired just yet.  

Right.  Beyond talent and health, it will take 1 or 2 years before a team is fully acclimated to a new system. 

But, I do think that if Staley manages to get himself fired, his replacement is already on staff.😎

• Like 1

PD