Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Aha!

1 hour ago, Old No7 said:

Had to share this...

( Wonder how many won't get the reference? )

Funny!   I had to look it up (just because I never watched, nor knew who did it). 

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

The video got tons of airplay on the late 80s down here ,if my timing is right.    They were huge here in Brazil, filling large stadium in their concerts. 

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Got it immediately.  The sun always shines on my computer monitor.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Video? It shows up as a still shot of a one-panel cartoon/comic strip for me.

A-ha is one of my most hated bands, so I enjoy jokes at their expense.

This one's even better than the "Take... On Me" guitar store musician want ad joke posted earlier.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

37 minutes ago, StickMan393 said:

Why the hate on A-Ha? They write/wrote great songs and the music is a cut above your average pop. Good stuff.

Agreed!  Their first three albums are great!

• Like 1

Hardware

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Really like this version.  Kind of shows that a lot of these artists can go beyond their 80s pop versions (Kip Winger doing an acoustic version of 17 was pretty mind-blowing to  me many years ago, same with Richard Page doing acoustic guitar/vocals live with Mister Mister's Kyrie...)

• Like 1
  • Love 3

The unplugged version of Hunting High And Low is incredible, too.

• Like 2

Hardware

Software

Totally agree that they were an excellent band. Not to mention the most successful Norway band ever, just like ABBA were in Sweden for decades before them. They also had excellent live performances - check The Sun Always Shines On TV at Royal Albert Hall with accompanying orchestra. Inspired compositions with catchy melodies, a lead vocalist with a very wide range, lots of intelligent synth lines, etc. Infinitely better musically than so many other bands.

12 hours ago, StickMan393 said:

Why the hate on A-Ha? They write/wrote great songs and the music is a cut above your average pop. Good stuff.

Their most famous song is "Take On Me" which I can barely tolerate hearing, although I had a gig recently where our opening act did a reggae version of it that was pretty cool. The song isn't remotely original so it used to bother me what a direct rip-off it was. I find A-ha as difficult to stomach as Culture Club, overall. Annoying earworms. Their Bond theme wasn't too bad though.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I'm also surprised by the negativity.  The charcoal-ish animation on the Take On Me video was wonderfully original, and the two-octaves-and-a-fifth range in the chorus was impressive. 

The style of the OP cartoon reminds me a lot of Harry Bliss:

Berlioz.jpg.d88937a0259d19e3d55f1b2dcc2b7571.jpgTipMyBoy.jpg.7f72000db5c420b49c86421bb0d0e2bc.jpg

• Like 1

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

1 hour ago, Tom Williams said:

I'm also surprised by the negativity.  The charcoal-ish animation on the Take On Me video was wonderfully original, and the two-octaves-and-a-fifth range in the chorus was impressive. 

So true - as a teen when it came out I remember being blown away by his vocal range and having a huge crush on the girl in the video ;)

6 hours ago, Mark Schmieder said:

Their most famous song is "Take On Me" which I can barely tolerate hearing, although I had a gig recently where our opening act did a reggae version of it that was pretty cool. The song isn't remotely original so it used to bother me what a direct rip-off it was. 

A rip-off of…what, exactly? 

• Like 2

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio