Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Most comfortable headphones for digital piano & keys practice (sub $300)

Looking to pick up a new pair of headphones strictly for digital piano/keys practice. I have a decent pair of Focal headphones for mixing but they're not comfortable for a couple of hours of practice time. Good audio obviously but don't need to be super high fidelity with comfort being more important for long practice sessions. $300 is my limit but love to keep it under that if possible.

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

Beyerdynamic DT series are extremely  comfortable. The downside is, those comfy foam earpads also will function as sweat sponges. I wear the open-backed model DT990 for hours, no problem. DT770 is the closed-backed version, if noise bleed in either direction might be an issue.

I've also got V-Moda (Roland, basically) M100. Those aren't as comfortable. I can tolerate them for hours, but the Beyers sound and feel better. They come in different versions with different impedance values. I haven't had any problems with the 250 ohm ones, but I have to turn the volume up more than with the other headphones... so, if that's a concern, you could get the version with less impedance.

Or a different brand - there are other good options. Guitar Center used to have a station to try out a dozen or so different types, with their musical selection, but hey.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Artomas said:

Beyerdynamic DT series are extremely  comfortable. The downside is, those comfy foam earpads also will function as sweat sponges. I wear the open-backed model DT990 for hours, no problem…

I use these also, sometimes for hours. Very comfortable. Good value for the money.

• Like 1
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Agreed with above comments; I have many headphones but the DT770 is a solid go-to when I need something super comfortable and also closed-back to give a little isolation.

• Like 1

Kronos 2 73, Nautilus 88, Matrixbrute, Logic, Pianoteq, NI Komplete

Here's some TMI about headphones, excerpted from my Max Your Mix! book. Several factors influence comfort, like weight, pressure, earcup proximity, etc., and the characteristics that trade off fidelity vary. Also, the headphone amp matters, depending on the headphone. Whether a keyboard amp has enough juice or not can be an issue. Or if you're monitoring through an audio interface, some of them lack sufficient power for some headphones. I hope the following is helpful.

Circumaural (Over-Ear) vs. Supra-Aural (On-Ear) Headphones

Circumaural headphone cups surround the ears. This isolates you from ambient sounds, and prevents sound from leaking out of the headphones. Supra-aural headphones sit on the outside of your ear. This allows enough of a gap for you to hear ambient sounds. They are hardly ever used for tracking due to the possibility of leakage, but some people prefer them for extended mixing sessions because they tend to weigh less than circumaural headphones.

Circumaural headphones are often larger than supra-aural types. This allows for larger drivers, which (along with the seal around your ear) results in better bass response. Although circumaural headphones can feel more bulky, in general your ears don’t contact the ear cups. This prevents your ears from being subjected to physical pressure that can make them sore.

Smaller headphones usually mean smaller drivers, so there’s more of a sonic compromise for bass response compared to larger headphones. Most portable and travel-oriented headphones use a supra-aural design. For critical mixing, I prefer circumaural headphones. But in the early stages of mixing, I’ll often go with a lighter, smaller supra-aural model due to the comfort.

Closed-Back vs. Open-Back Headphone Design

Open-back headphones have a vented outside surface instead of a closed outside surface. In general, consumers tend to favor open-back designs, while studio engineers often opt for closed-back types. Open-back headphones can sound more open, and create more of a feel of a soundstage. Their main drawback is sound leakage. This might disturb others, but can also distract you because you can hear ambient sounds. 

Closed-back headphones feel more isolated, and provide better isolation from ambient noises. The main drawback for pros is they can be less comfortable during extended sessions, because heat and sweat can build up inside the earcup. They also require careful design to minimize resonances from sound bouncing around in an enclosed space.

Headphone Impedance and Headphone Amplifiers

Headphones require far less power than speakers, but they still have power requirements. Audio interfaces with headphone outputs may be designed more for quick monitoring than critical listening. One particular set of headphones sounded disappointing when plugged into an audio interface, but blossomed when fed by a dedicated headphone amp. 

The headphone’s output impedance determines how much power a headphone needs. This is the same concept as different speakers having different impedances. A typical headphone impedance is 32 ohms, but can be as low as 8 ohms (like a speaker) or as high as hundreds of ohms. Optimum performance with higher-impedance headphones usually requires a dedicated headphone amp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Both the ATH-M50 and DT-770 mentioned above are great in comfort and sound quality. There's also the Sony MDR-7506 (or MDR-V6, basically the same thing re-badged) worth checking out. It's similar to the M50 in size and comfort, and has slightly boosted highs in sound.

• Like 1

Another vote for Sony MDR-7560 'phones here ... I've used them for years, and have always found them superb. 

Some folk occasionally describe them as a bit 'brignt' ... more of a problem if you have very young ears, I would imagine? 🙂  

Excellent wide range response, with really good 'detail'. 

The only weakness is the earpads.  They tend to degrade over time. I've replaced mine with these sheepskin ones: https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/products/sony-mdr-sheepskin-earpads

Not cheap, but they make a big difference comfort wise ..... seem to last really well too.....

• Like 1
Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

Maybe not the definition of comfort you are looking for, but my opportunity to vent my excitement......

I've just purchased a set of Steven Slate VSX modelling headphones. As I suffer from hyperacusis, I have a hard time these days wearing phones at all, especially with piano, which is what I spend a lot of time doing. They are designed to get mixes balanced in different spaces by emulating different real world or studio environments, including the other brands of headphones.  Though I didn't specifically buy them to mix with, the resulting sound is very gentle to my ears, and they do an impressive job of not sounding like headphones!

The amazing thing is that they take the sound from out of your head and put it in front of you. As the modelling relies on psycho-acoustics, they need time for you to get used to and make sense of what you're hearing, but I am most impressed so far.

At one point, I had to put my head near my monitors in front of me to see if they were still on by mistake, as it sounded like the sound was coming from them, and the headphones were off. A bit like the virtual reality goggles for audio.

• Like 2

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

Massdrop 58x has been one of the best purchases I've made...$150 at the time, they are basically Sennheiser HD600s that cost quite a bit more (they have Sennheiser logo).  There's also the Massdrop equivalent to the HD650 which was 50 bucks more.   These are both open phones and I could basically wear them all day long, they are super comfortable.

I was leery of Massdrop but heard from enough people to gather that they were legit, and indeed had no issues with my purchase or shipping.

• Like 1

When I got into playing keyboards a few years ago I got a pair of Beyerdynamics DT-770 low impedance model and they sound and feel great.   I"m an apartment dweller and like to practice late at night so the DT-770's get a lot of use.   I feel the low impedance ones work well with keyboards.    

• Like 1

I had the Sony MDR-7506 which were nice until the earcup foam started deteriorating. 

Haven't look back since I copped the Sennheiser HD280 I've been using forever with no issues.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I've owned a few hd280s through the years, and while everyone is different, it's another league of sound and comfort with the open-backed hd600s.  I can't wear the hd280s nearly as long as they get hot and feel cramped--they are closed phones so that is kind of expected.  I use them for tracking with a mic.   As I say though ymmv.

Biggest mistake was mail-ordering (! yep, a long time ago) some mid-range priced Sony phones that ended up sitting right on the edges of my ears.  Couldn't wear those for more than 20 minutes at a time.

• Like 1

I have the ATH M50 and they are great, but for sheer comfort my favorite is the Sennheiser HD 598 Cs.  They go over your ears and are pretty light, sound great, and are never tiring to wear. I think the current model is the 599, about the same price-

-dj

• Like 1

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

I've lost a pair of Beyerdynamics. No idea how they disappeared. Been using a set of Sennheiser HD600's for over 10 years. Comfortable. Sound good. Fit over my big ears. Sweetwater has them for $150 off, making them $300. A good set of headphones is a great investment.

• Like 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I’m a big fan of AKG headphones for comfortable practice sessions. Definitely not the ideal choice if you want super flat frequency response (they have a dip in the high mids), but super comfortable for me with my large ears, and I tend to like a mid scooped sound a bit anyways. I’d actually suggest something like the K240 MKII semi-open back headphones. My daily drivers are the K275 closed phones. If you did want to use them for mixing, I have good luck with SoundID Reference + Abbey Road Studio 3, but it sounds like that isn’t a use case for you for these phones.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

3 hours ago, DJkeys said:

but for sheer comfort my favorite is the Sennheiser HD 598 Cs.  They go over your ears and are pretty light, sound great, and are never tiring to wear.

I bought a pair of HD 598C almost 7 years ago, Use them frequently.  My only niggle is that the black covering has come off the foam on the earpieces and the headband bit by bit over the years, I swear I'm going to just remove the little bit rest of it by hand just to have it all gone. :laugh:

• Like 1
:nopity:

I also have a pair of the ATH-M50s in my headphone collection. 😎

I still have my AKG K240s - I’ve had those forever, but they still get the job done.   My favorite tracking pair is a set of Ultrasone HFI-650 I’ve had for around 15 years..

dB

• Like 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I highly recommend the Focal Listen Pro, but my favorite and certainly best for playing piano (especially the Nord piano samples) are the Sennheiser HD 660S. As long as you have a decent amp to drive them, they are wonderful. I own many headphones- some in the several thousand dollar range, and these hit the perfect balance of just enough stereo width and openness to be perfect for playing keys. The Focal Listen Pro is also excellent, though closed back. I own every pair of Beyerdynamic headphones listed above and I would honestly steer you away from those because they have an extreme upper treble elevation, and while that can be fun for some practice or tracking, it doesn’t wear well over extended piano playing sessions- too many upper mids and highs that are poking out and will cause ear fatigue.  I’ll throw a sleeper option out as well, because it’s unbelievable for the price. Status Audio CB-1. $70 and they compare very favorably with any of my other headphones in tonality….they are in fact nearly flat….and they are cheap- really cheap.  Probably the two most enjoyable headphones I’ve ever used for playing keys, are the Focal utopia (way way out of budget I know) and their little brother, the Focal Clear (and Clear MG). I remember the first time I plugged the Clear into the MP11Se. I though the studio monitors that were on each side of the Kawai, we’re on. They were not. Open back, Crystal clarity and a wide beautifully balanced image- wow it was something. 

• Like 1

I have gear. Don't we all? Some is old, some is new. Ask me what I've got and I'll tell you. 

Here's a suggestion from left field: Sennheiser RS 120-W On-Ear Wireless Headphones. I just ordered my third set in the past 10 years 2 weeks ago during Amazon Prime Days for $72.00. They're back up to $129.00, unfortunately. Sound quality is what you expect from Sennheiser, and I've worn them for hours watching TV. Head shape may be the only issue. They work for me but I could see them sliding a bit if you hunch over your keyboard. They do not grip your ears, but lay against them.

No cord is an obvious plus. I know you want this for practice, but the range is unbelievable. I've walked my dog down the street 7 or 8 houses away before I even start getting any static. Amazon has a fantastic, easy return system if you don't like them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7P9R373?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2023 at 7:02 PM, CrossRhodes said:

Looking to pick up a new pair of headphones strictly for digital piano/keys practice. I have a decent pair of Focal headphones for mixing but they're not comfortable for a couple of hours of practice time. Good audio obviously but don't need to be super high fidelity with comfort being more important for long practice sessions. $300 is my limit but love to keep it under that if possible.

If you're still undecided, you might want to check out the Sennheiser HD 400 Pro headphones. I purchased a pair just recently after reading some professional sourced reviews online. I got mine at a local Guitar Center. They were selling for $249. Previously, I was using a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Studio Pro headphones. Comparing the two, I must say the Sennheiser outperforms the Beyerdynamic. More clarity. More presence. Better bass response. Also, quite comfortable, although if you have a big head, you might find them a little constraining because it is a rather snug fit. But they might loosen up a bit over time, perhaps. Happy shopping! 

• Like 1

Everyone's head size and shape is different, so it's always hard to make sweeping statements about such things, but many of us have a lot of experience with the DT's and the ATH's. I skip Sony because they rebrand almost their entire product line every year, apparently to disconnect from reviews, so even though they occasionally make a stellar product, I don't like their company approach (and of course they sold off most of their software products, thankfully to our advantage!).

Although inflation may have affected Beyer prices more than other brands due to Made in Germany, it may still be the case that the price difference vs. Audio-technica is not super-huge. I personally did not feel the ATH's were as good for long-term wear as the DT's, and not quite as transparent, balanced, or neutral, but they are unquestionably the best bargain on the market in terms of their price zone. As are the DT's for their price point (although they probably went way up recently, like their mics did).

I upgraded to the high-end Beyer and Neumann cans over the past few years, and there's no looking back, including for comfort, but I couldn't afford to do that now, as life took a serious downturn economically with the pandemic. For people on a tight budget, I still recommend DT770's first, and ATH's second (if even a tighter budget), but there are people out there for whom neither one will do due to head shape etc.

Unfortunately, not much else on the market is sufficiently neutral. Sennheisers are OK but tend towards the euphonic as they are meant more for hi-fi listening. But they're probably the best third choice for those that do not take well to DT's or ATH's, as they tend to be comfortable for a wide variety of heads, and even though they aren't very flat, most of their models aren't super-hyped so would be OK for piano practice if not critical studio work.

The head-fi.org site has always been a good resource for honest reviews that cover every detail, There was another headphone site as well, but I think they went away a few years ago. As for the special needs of digital piano, that's a bit too vague as well, as they vary so much between models, with some being heavily compressed and others being bright. Nevertheless, the commonality is probably bigger than the differences, and generally you're best off with the most neutral and articulate, balanced, mid-range.

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager