Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

One of our best from Oz - Morrison trumpet and piano at the same time!

Does he get paid for doubling? I never did……..

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Interesting that a joke is the best this lot here can do about a guy who has more talent (check out James Morrison if you don't get me) in his little finger than most here.

Yet everyone goes all gushy over a hack pianist playing too fast and with debatable chops!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

1 hour ago, Bobbo Fett said:

Never knew he played piano, but I can't say I'm surprised.....if he could figure out how to get a sound out of a bowling ball I bet he'd wail on that too! Simply amazing.......

decades ago when i was a teenager playing euphonium in one the best concert bands in this country i was privileged to share the stage with him. Really nice guy, more than happy to chat, showed us brass players how to do circular breathing, and chords on the trombone (Morrison started out playing trombone and euphonium). His piano playing reminds me of Stephane Grappelli thanking the audience at the Sydney Opera House  for indulging his ‘piano practice’: one of those guys who clearly went back for seconds and probably thirds when god was handing out musical talent. And I have seen him improvise an instrument with some hose pipe and a bell-shaped something, i forget exactly what he used but it was some everyday item from the kitchen or the garage. He could indeed make anything sound musical. 

I’ve always like his response to people who say they don’t like jazz - of course you like jazz, it’s just a matter of finding out what kind of jazz you like.

• Like 1

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

2 hours ago, miden said:

Interesting that a joke is the best this lot here can do about a guy who has more talent (check out James Morrison if you don't get me) in his little finger than most here.

Yet everyone goes all gushy over a hack pianist playing too fast and with debatable chops!

Before you jump to conclusions about my statement being a joke perhaps you should consider that I was telling the truth.

I did this act for many years simply because back in the day keyboards didn't split and the trios I worked in used a guitar or a horn for the third piece. And, no I never was compensated for this kind of doubling. I did it out of musical necessity and the fact that Lefty knew my changes.....

I've seen James with the Mnozil Brass and thoroughly respect his talent. No sleight was intended and I don't believe my wording gave a negative impression.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Love James Morrison. There's a clip of him playing trumpet in his RH and (slide!) trombone in his LH - call and response! His piano playing's pretty solid too.

@lightbg impressive - I think you've posted that before? Did playing LH bass on the keyboard not work for you?

Cheers, Mike.

5 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Love James Morrison. There's a clip of him playing trumpet in his RH and (slide!) trombone in his LH - call and response! His piano playing's pretty solid too.

@lightbg impressive - I think you've posted that before? Did playing LH bass on the keyboard not work for you?

Cheers, Mike.

Back in the late 60’s I had 2 keyboards: my Hammond and a Wurlitzer 145B. The B didn’t go out on club dates and the majority of gigs were trios. I hated not having a bass sound, and even tried a Rhodes bass keyboard, which didn’t cut it. When I entered college a graduate assistant had a trio and did the left hand guitar bass. I was stunned at the sound. The next day I went to Muscara Music in Belleville, NJ, and bought a Harmony D21, and gigged with a bass for the next 50 or so years. It got me a lot of work.

Since those days split keyboards have become available, and with the introduction of arthritis and carpal tunnel issues the bass has been retired in favor of keys, or pedals.

One note: Joe wasn’t related to the Muscara’s that owned the store, but I think he wishes he was………..

Jake

"It needs a Hammond"

James is a monster on pretty much ALL instruments!  I am an accomplished jazz pianist and trumpet player and have been known to play trumpet and piano simultaneously. However since the trumpet is a Bb instrument, improvisation requires thinking in 2 different keys which is nearly impossible for my inept brain.  I am amazed by musicians who can do this well.

3 hours ago, lightbg said:

Back in the late 60’s I had 2 keyboards: my Hammond and a Wurlitzer 145B. The B didn’t go out on club dates and the majority of gigs were trios. I hated not having a bass sound, and even tried a Rhodes bass keyboard, which didn’t cut it. When I entered college a graduate assistant had a trio and did the left hand guitar bass. I was stunned at the sound. The next day I went to Muscara Music in Belleville, NJ, and bought a Harmony D21, and gigged with a bass for the next 50 or so years. It got me a lot of work.

Since those days split keyboards have become available, and with the introduction of arthritis and carpal tunnel issues the bass has been retired in favor of keys, or pedals.

One note: Joe wasn’t related to the Muscara’s that owned the store, but I think he wishes he was………..

Jake

Muscara's!! Yes....Gene and "Smilin' Bill"....my dad bought me a Farfisa VIP 345 and a Leslie 145 from those guys when I was 15.....been starvin' ever since....:-)

• Wow! 1

If anyone cares, his horn is a Schagerl Raven (which might now be called Raweni). It has rotary valves common on trumpets in Europe but they operate with vertical pistons rather than like a French horn.

You can’t play a rotary valve trumpet one handed. 😁

IMG_1221.jpeg

21 hours ago, lightbg said:

Before you jump to conclusions about my statement being a joke perhaps you should consider that I was telling the truth.

I did this act for many years simply because back in the day keyboards didn't split and the trios I worked in used a guitar or a horn for the third piece. And, no I never was compensated for this kind of doubling. I did it out of musical necessity and the fact that Lefty knew my changes.....

I've seen James with the Mnozil Brass and thoroughly respect his talent. No sleight was intended and I don't believe my wording gave a negative impression.

Jake

Very nice!   Great tune and really neat to hear you captured all of the voicings with the brass patch at the end.   Huge Bob James fan!

I get you played the bass guitar originally, but in the intervening years, I would have thought that migrating to Key Bass would have freed you up from that logistical compromise.  

I love playing LHB splits and originally played Bob James tunes in the 80s with my Suitcase Rhodes 73 (LH) and a Synth on top.  That Suitcase amp could project the bass!!

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I can see James’ house boat, and his brothers house boat, from my house!

Bwahahah!

seriously though, he’s top next level genius and an Australian national treasure. 

• Like 1

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

19 hours ago, dazzjazz said:

I can see James’ house boat, and his brothers house boat, from my house!

Bwahahah!

seriously though, he’s top next level genius and an Australian national treasure. 

Well cmon Darren, please tell me you've fired up the Leslie, miked it to a parge PA and blasted some of your great playing across the water the odd summer night?? :) 

• Haha 1