Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond Tease XK-4

5 minutes ago, Moonglow said:

Re: the pitch bend wheel, the Bonners video states it was designed to be a “really good MIDI controller.” But yeah, in an organ-centric setting, it is vulnerable to the usual sacrilegious applications.

The more I think about it the more I like it - there are a tonne of weighted bottom

boards that do synth well (or at least rudimentary), but not organ. There are so few organ boards (especially with waterfall actions) that have pitch/mod wheels, and so few boards with pitch mod wheels that do organ well.

An organ only top board with good midi capability AND pitch/mod wheels means it’ll sit nicely above almost anything modern that does bread and butter+ basic synth stuff and, with a bit of setup, could give you a rig that covers all of your bases. 

• Like 4

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

On 7/8/2023 at 12:42 PM, wd8dky said:

Late August - early September say the good folks who include candy in the box. 

Jim A. has played it, I believe. 

Just got word from Sweetwater my XK4 is shipping today. So some have arrived in the US.

Should have it for Saturday. I have a gig Saturday night and 2 on Sunday so looking forward to giving a try.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2023 at 11:21 AM, AnotherScott said:

Almost certainly, since the board hasn't shipped yet. Though that doesn't mean there's nothing to talk about, based on the info available so far. We always talk about stuff before it comes out, that's how we know who the optimists and pessimists are. 😉 

Yes and the same comments from the same people that have been going on for 15 years on here.

• Like 1

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I have the SKX Pro since last November. If I look to the videoclips I hear no difference between

a SKX Pro and the XK4 regarding the organ sound. Maybe a little better Leslie simulation.

Nobody can really tell us what the difference between MTW and MTW2 is regarding hardware, software, etc.

I use with my SKX Pro the Vent 2 and this sounds better than the internal simulation of both organs. Maybe somebody knows some real technical details. The marketing phrases are known.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered mine today from Sweetwater. I sold a C3 and Leslie 147 that needed some serious work- and decided I’ll stick with the YC88, Stage 4, XK4 and (possibly) my Ventilator. Will post some thoughts and a review video soon. What do you think of the XK4, for those who have one now?

• Like 1

I have gear. Don't we all? Some is old, some is new. Ask me what I've got and I'll tell you. 

I just got mine but I haven't even played it yet.  My opinions on sound quality, etc. won't be very useful anyway because this is my first experience with a Hammond (real or clone) and to say I suck as a player would be the overstatement of the year :)

This is the world's silliest complaint, but I was surprised at just how yellowish-brown the keys are on this thing.  Between auto white balance on cameras and the way our vision works, you don't tend to notice the exact color of the keys when you see product photos of a keyboard online, but when you put two of them next to each other and make sure the white balance is accurate, you can see there's a pretty big difference.  Here's the XK4 next to my Moog Matriarch for example:

xk4_vs_matriarch.thumb.jpg.7343da8cb9c8f52518e32cabd72bc84a.jpg

41 minutes ago, kanefsky said:

I just got mine but I haven't even played it yet.  My opinions on sound quality, etc. won't be very useful anyway because this is my first experience with a Hammond (real or clone) and to say I suck as a player would be the overstatement of the year :)

This is the world's silliest complaint, but I was surprised at just how yellowish-brown the keys are on this thing.  Between auto white balance on cameras and the way our vision works, you don't tend to notice the exact color of the keys when you see product photos of a keyboard online, but when you put two of them next to each other and make sure the white balance is accurate, you can see there's a pretty big difference.  Here's the XK4 next to my Moog Matriarch for example:

First off....Stop being so hard on yourself. Everybody has to start somewhere. I have some REALLY nice gear, but I just placed an order for a Casio CT-S500. Why? Because I want to be able to tinker and play anywhere I am - on vacation, at the office, in the car (not driving of course)...and that little thing just gives you gobs of sounds for the price. I encourage you to get something like that and just play your heart out all the time. Also, don't try and play like a pro all at once. Start with basic chords, and improvise all the time - you will get better, and you clearly have the gear to definitely enjoy the journey. 

As for the keys on the XK4, I imagine they are the same as what is on the SK Pro, which I had for a few weeks but returned because all but the organ sounds left me very very much wanting my Nord Stage 3 back. The keys have a creamy color, much like the action on my Stage 4 compact. That is intentional and they come that way from Fatar (same key action on both). You might not have played real Hammonds before, but I'm certain you've heard them in songs and possibly in person - so compare your new toy to that! 

I have gear. Don't we all? Some is old, some is new. Ask me what I've got and I'll tell you. 

My inferiority complex has to do with trying to learn piano for years and not feeling like I'm making much progress.  I've been getting more interested in synth and organ lately and thinking about trying to focus more on improvisation, comping, sound design, and other things besides playing solo classical piano pieces either from memory or by sight (where anything short of perfection can be painfully obvious).

By itself I actually kind of like the look of the Hammond keys, especially in combination with the wood sides of the XK-4.  It gives it an elegant look.  It's a little odd when it's sitting next to a keyboard with bright white keys though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mate stubb said:

Those key colors are chosen to match the ivory (not white) color of a real Hammond tonewheel console. Most clones are similar.

I assumed something like that, but as a portable stage keyboard IMHO it makes more sense for it to fit in with other stage keyboards than to fit in with a Hammond console.

It reminds me a little of when I worked with a team developing mobile apps.  The product managers insisted that the user interface of the Android version of the app match the iOS version of the app in every respect, but also wanted to completely change the interface from one version to the next as we added new features.  I tried to argue that consistency was more important in the latter case than the former, to no avail :)

Here’s my 3 year old Carbon 61 and my 56 year old B. It ain’t the color, it’s which ones you press at which time that counts.

IMG_2178.jpeg

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Forgive me if this was already discussed, but sonically how close are the XK-4 and XK-Pro, in terms of organ and Leslie simulation? They seem to be $2500 for either one. 

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

23 minutes ago, JMcS said:

If you bring in a "keyboard/Hammond guy" and he complains about the color of the keys, you got the wrong guy.

The first thing I said is that it was a silly complaint and even before that I made it clear I'm about as far from the "keyboard/Hammond guy" as you can imagine.  I'm halfway decent at photography though, and I thought it was something interesting to point out and a nice alternative to the usual discussion about which Leslie sim is infinitesimally better than which other Leslie sim :). I couldn't comment on that anyway.

30 minutes ago, kanefsky said:

The first thing I said is that it was a silly complaint and even before that I made it clear I'm about as far from the "keyboard/Hammond guy" as you can imagine.  I'm halfway decent at photography though, and I thought it was something interesting to point out and a nice alternative to the usual discussion about which Leslie sim is infinitesimally better than which other Leslie sim :). I couldn't comment on that anyway.

Then my comment didn't pertain to you. It was just a general comment primarily regarding those who feel unimportant/immaterial issues affect their playing. I have also commented that "if one can play, the gear doesn't matter and if one can't, the gear doesn't help" in the past as well. 

Edit:

Some years ago, I read an interview with IIRC Joey DeFrancesco where he mentioned that he once showed up to a gig and one of the keys didn't work. I think it was an important one like the G above middle C on the UM. The interviewer asked him what he did about it and Joey said he didn't use it.

It arrived and I’m shocked how bright it is. This is without question the brightest keyboard I’ve ever heard- and yes it has infinite adjustment options, and the Leslie is getting close to vent territory. It’s gonna be a great organ when I’m done tweaking, but holy hell… whoever programmed this thing must have no hearing above 10k. Beautiful sound, very accurate, great feeling keys, well put together. It’s pretty much an SK Pro without the extra voices and synth. I always thought most of the demos sounded bright but this… this is crazy bright. I’m an audio engineer, so this is not just me being used to a 58 C3 and 71 Leslie 147. I’ll take this beast and soon make some video and an in depth review- it’s great so far! 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

On 7/27/2023 at 11:11 AM, kanefsky said:

I assumed something like that, but as a portable stage keyboard IMHO it makes more sense for it to fit in with other stage keyboards than to fit in with a Hammond console.

It reminds me a little of when I worked with a team developing mobile apps.  The product managers insisted that the user interface of the Android version of the app match the iOS version of the app in every respect, but also wanted to completely change the interface from one version to the next as we added new features.  I tried to argue that consistency was more important in the latter case than the former, to no availe

Seriously, you're worried about the color of the keys? As Mate above mentioned they are matching the color of the keys of a real hammond.   Back in the day when all i carried were analog instruments i usually had an analog synth sit on top of my B3.  I dont ever recall saying "gee, i need to get rid of this hammond because the key color doesnt match the rest of the rig".  🤒

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2023 at 1:13 PM, kanefsky said:

Sweet set up! Love the vintage style keys next to the modern Moog as well but hey, it's all subjective. If you're looking for a great place to start your Hammond journey, check out Tony Monaco's Facebook page. Great group of players and enthusiasts along with a bunch of free PDF material as well. I just had my first lesson with Tony and it was great. Really cool cat and excellent B3 mentor!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TonysHang
http://www.b3monaco.com

• Like 1

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

7 minutes ago, CrossRhodes said:

Sweet set up! Love the vintage style keys next to the modern Moog as well but hey, it's all subjective. If you're looking for a great place to start your Hammond journey, check out Tony Monaco's Facebook page. Great group of players and enthusiasts along with a bunch of free PDF material as well. I just had my first lesson with Tony and it was great. Really cool cat and excellent B3 mentor!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TonysHang
http://www.b3monaco.com

Thanks!  I'll check that out.  So far I just bought Dave Limina's book.  I actually took two classes from Dave at Berklee Online several years ago:  Pop/Rock Keyboard and Blues and Rock Keyboard Techniques.  It's kind of depressing that nothing I learned there seemed to stick.  Having a real college-type course with assignments and grades really does tend to motivate me to work hard though.

• Like 2

In regards to brightness, iirc there is a keyclick parameter that can be turned down. I would also turn down the TC parameter, which mimics the 'tone control' potentiometer on the preamp of a vintage Hammond. Much like the tone control on a vintage hi-fi receiver, this will decrease the high frequencies and boost the lows when you turn it down. Another option would be to turn down the emulation of the high rotor in the Leslie simulator. And finally another option would be to use the master EQ and turn down the high frequencies. 

I would adjust those in the order listed, one by one, and see which one or which combination gives you the tone you're looking for.

• Like 3

The controller feature are cool to have.  2008-2013 My gig was a current top 40 Country act.  The rig was usually a S90XS and a XK-3c and a 8 space rack with synth modules.  The Hammond was the synth controller.  The wheels and limited assignable controllers were valuable.  The 3c action was killer.  This new thing should smoke the 3c in the controller area. ...

Still shocked they named it '4'.  Shi is bad luck, it means death.  ( different kanji same pronunciation ... homophone.)

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

1 hour ago, CEB said:

The controller feature are cool to have.  2008-2013 My gig was a current top 40 Country act.  The rig was usually a S90XS and a XK-3c and a 8 space rack with synth modules.  The Hammond was the synth controller.  The wheels and limited assignable controllers were valuable.  The 3c action was killer.  This new thing should smoke the 3c in the controller area. ...

Still shocked they named it '4'.  Shi is bad luck, it means death.  ( different kanji same pronunciation ... homophone.)

They could have names it xk13c, then it would have been bad luck in the US.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band