Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond Tease XK-4

2 hours ago, Chummy said:

I wonder what was Jim referencing when he said it's not only an organ board.

He didn't say it was not only an an organ board, he said it isn't just an SK Pro without the non-organ voices. So (just pulling something out of the air), it could emulate additional transistor organs, and it would still be "only an organ board" but it would also not be the same thing as an SK Pro with its non-organ sounds removed.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

16 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

could you assign aftertouch to the CC# that controls rotary speed?

16 hours ago, CEB said:

I had a KS-32 that did that.

Loved that feature on my KS32 as well. Didn't love the weight of the thing.

Cheers, Mike

10 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

He didn't say it was not only an an organ board, he said it isn't just an SK Pro without the non-organ voices. So (just pulling something out of the air), it could emulate additional transistor organs, and it would still be "only an organ board" but it would also not be the same thing as an SK Pro with its non-organ sounds removed.

It does.  If you look at the video from page 1 on this post and slow the video down, towards the end you get a picture of the face of the XK-4.  There were 4 choices, VOX, Farfisa, ACE (not sure what that would be) and PIPE.

image.png.28eea00e00cf2430b6a8909659f41710.png

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Ace would be Acetone, now known as Roland, what I shoulda bought instead of a Farfisa Fast 4 back in tha day.

• Like 2

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Trivia: Hammond's first portable "clonewheels", the X2 and X5, were made for them by Acetone.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

23 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

I admit I have never tried the CU-1 on the single manual SK Pro models, but I've used it with the SKX Pro. Not sure why it would be any different other than no stock way to mount it. In regards to software, shouldn't it be the same?

Apparently because the SK Pro 93 has a beveled edge it doesn't attach well.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I am so tired of manufacturers ignoring one of the best sounding combo organs of the 60’s, and that Is the Gibson G101 (Aka The Lowery Kalamazoo). This is the organ that Ray Manzerek used from Waiting for the Sun onward. As it was basically a Lowery product, it had features such as sustain and tremolo which makes the sound of this instrument unique (think the opening keyboard line of “Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds”, the sound of “Unknown Soldier” “Touch Me” or “Waiting for the Sun”). I own one and have samples of it that I used to sell.  I still use those samples live in my MODX+ for some Doors songs we cover. 

• Like 2

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I've watched that Doors Touch Me video before a few times but never noticed that Robby Krieger has a massive black eye.  Now that's Rock 'n Roll baby!

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

7 minutes ago, Adan said:

I've watched that Doors Touch Me video before a few times but never noticed that Robby Krieger has a massive black eye.  Now that's Rock 'n Roll baby!

From Ray Manzerek:  "Back in the 60's it was dangerous to have long hair. Rednecks would beat you up because you were considered un-American. If you had long hair, it meant you were against the war in Vietnam. And REAL "Americans" love killing! They love booze! Drinking! Whiskey! and they love guns! Instead, the hippies like to get high on pot and then they like to make love and dance and make music and sing and have a good time! Hippies were against killing. So, three rednecks got in a fight with Jim and Robbie down the street from the Doors' office at a bar and there was pushing and shoving and Robbie Krieger got whacked in the eye. Jim ducked a punch, Robbie wasn't able to duck the punch. That was 2 days before we went on the SMothers Brothers' Show. They said to Robbie on the show, let's put some make-up on that black eye. You don't want to be on national televisoin with a black eye. And Robbie said, Yes I do! No one has ever gone on TV with a black eye. I'm going to be the first! It's a badge of honor. The End!"

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

3 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

It does.  If you look at the video from page 1 on this post and slow the video down, towards the end you get a picture of the face of the XK-4.  There were 4 choices, VOX, Farfisa, ACE (not sure what that would be) and PIPE.

Hammond gets it. If you make an organ keyboard, you put organs in it, including pipe organ. Yamaha adds EDM voices in their latest update. Yamaha still doesn't get it.

I need more coffee -- pj

P.S. I love the covers-off keys in the Smother's Brothers video. never noticed that before... Stronger than dirt. 😀

Well, here’s the announcement.

https://hammondorganco.com/xk-4?fbclid=IwAR0KyXVOxlbv0A5Zvvt7FF3A3HRAMkMke6VH4sqXG1TtdFqDEW0T9Zgz6HM

“NEW “MODELED TONE WHEEL 2” SOUND ENGINE

VIRTUAL MULTI-CONTACT KEYBOARD

NEW DIGITAL LESLIE ALGORITHM

NEW TUBE MODELING SYSTEM

USER-ASSIGNABLE KNOBS/SWITCHES

COLOR DISPLAY

11-PIN LESLIE JACK

PITCH BEND/MOD WHEELS

STANDARD AC PLUG”

• Like 3

So yeah, when I said it isn't just an SK Pro without non-organ sounds, what I mean is that it's an update to the MTW engine called MTW2. No more sampling. Everything is modeled. Also, new Leslie sim, new overdrive emulation, and the 'virtual' tonewheels even have slight random pitch variations.

I couldn't stop playing it. I had a great time making the demos. It sounds really really good.

• Like 9

Hopefully they will make an Software Update available for the SK Pro and SKX Pro !!!

(maybe the XK5 is too old for an update....)

I don't think the XK4 replaces the XK5. First of all it replaces the XK1c.

The XK5 was introduced  in 2016. I guess we will see a XK5mk2 in the near future....

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Any idea of weight? The spec links on Hammond site don’t work. So they have the XK5, the XK4 and the SK pro series? It’s getting a little like an Apple lineup. I get the entry level of the xk4 but where does it sit compared to the single manual sk pro? Sk pro has more non organ sounds?

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

1 hour ago, bjosko said:

Saw a preorder ad - $2900 UGH 🤐

link? (google throws me nothing). Coincidentally that’s the listed price of an SKpro73. The XK1c was significantly cheaper than the SK1. 

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

21 minutes ago, niacin said:

link? (google throws me nothing). Coincidentally that’s the listed price of an SKpro73. The XK1c was significantly cheaper than the SK1. 

https://www.hudebnicentrum.cz/hammond-xk-4_z32038/

Shows another price now, I used the short text google found. 59.900czt 

(Chezk) , but preorder and final price might differ a lot. 

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

ok, so costs marginally less than the SKpro-61.  And at the lower end of Hammond's line-up which now consists of the XK-4, the SKpro series and the XK-5, except that the XK-4 has the best Hammond and Leslie sound of all of them!  I guess there's an XK-6 on the horizon with a full set of drawbars, standard layout and additional seperate lower manual.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

7 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

So yeah, when I said it isn't just an SK Pro without non-organ sounds, what I mean is that it's an update to the MTW engine called MTW2. No more sampling. Everything is modeled. Also, new Leslie sim, new overdrive emulation, and the 'virtual' tonewheels even have slight random pitch variations.

Cool! Any idea when this will be shipping?

Sk Pro has a ton of deep editing parameters for the organ and Leslie... is the editing ability comparable here?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't everything on the organ side of the SK Pro modeled? I thought all the sampling (which is gone here) was only for the piano/ensemble section voices (which are likewise gone here).

I wonder how this compares to B-3X. 

Not to take this topic "off topic" but I've always wondered why Hammond never updated the XK-5's internal leslie; that's the only thing 'wrong' with that keyboard (and its price) and as the flagship you'd think they would have put the best available internal leslie into it.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

34 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:

Not to take this topic "off topic" but I've always wondered why Hammond never updated the XK-5's internal leslie; that's the only thing 'wrong' with that keyboard (and its price) and as the flagship you'd think they would have put the best available internal leslie into it.

Hammond seems to rarely if ever provide significant functionality updates to their boards. Maybe most of it is simply not designed to be updatable? Honestly, I was surprised that even the interface improvement of the SKX of allowing for selection of 10 banks of button-selectable Favorites (instead of just the one bank) wasn't made available for the SK1/SK2.

• Like 1