Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond Tease XK-4

I always thought….. They will never make a 4.  

In Japan 4 is pronounced ‘shi’.   Shi is also the pronunciation of the kanji for death.  It’s different kanji but 4 is bad luck. Like our number 13 but even more so.  Example, hotels won’t have a 4th floor. 

More useless trivia from me. 

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Assuming the new sound engine, seems to be essentially like an SK Pro without the piano/ensemble/synth sections, plus wooden side panels. They've got the dedicated overdrive knob that was added with the SKX Pro. I wonder if they will include the simulated multi-contact behavior. I'll predict yes. I'll also predict $1995 price.

Some pics for people who don't want to bother trying to get them from the video...

ScreenShot2023-04-04at2_35_36PM.thumb.jpg.075c94309c38726cba62329a5d943468.jpg

ScreenShot2023-04-04at2_34_02PM.thumb.jpg.0cacde1b3f952cf40def44926032cbf2.jpg

ScreenShot2023-04-04at2_34_53PM.thumb.jpg.04c3cda6fcf7a39bff4c369bb921e0cd.jpg

ScreenShot2023-04-04at2_35_17PM.thumb.jpg.c2f4d36644027b99af619c67201c3634.jpg

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Can't say I understand the numbering. The XK-5 predates this new XK-4. And who the hell knows where the XK-2 fits in the mix?

Just a matter of personal preference, but I hate that angled screen they seem to be insisting on with the new models. I suppose it's more convenient in terms of visibility (unless you play with gargoyle posture like me 😅), but it just murders the form factor, imo.

I do think the built-in half-moon switch is cool, though. Then again, I'm more of a footswitch guy (which I know is technically cheating).

1 hour ago, SMcD said:

Can't say I understand the numbering. The XK-5 predates this new XK-4. And who the hell knows where the XK-2 fits in the mix?

Just a matter of personal preference, but I hate that angled screen they seem to be insisting on with the new models. I suppose it's more convenient in terms of visibility (unless you play with gargoyle posture like me 😅), but it just murders the form factor, imo.

I do think the built-in half-moon switch is cool, though. Then again, I'm more of a footswitch guy (which I know is technically cheating).

My initial thoughts:

XK-5 is the bees knees. XK-3 was good but not flagship - performance oriented for the gigging regular. XK-4 sits somewhere in between. 

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

1 hour ago, nadroj said:

Well, at least the Chrysler dashboard team from 1985 is still employed somewhere. Industrial design notwithstanding, this one might be my next/last clonewheel. I've been thinking of re-buying a Mojo61 but there's that Hammond fleshiness that they just do better, eg: B-3X. 

• Haha 1

Here for the gear.

1 minute ago, drawback said:

I've been thinking of re-buying a Mojo61 but there's that Hammond fleshiness that they just do better, eg: B-3X. 

Ironically (considering the official Hammond pedigree), they still have not updated B-3X to recognize the controls of the SK Pro, and they've had 2+ years to do it. So that Mojo61 may make for a better B-3X controller than this XK-4.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

7 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Assuming the new sound engine, seems to be essentially like an SK Pro without the piano/ensemble/synth sections, plus wooden side panels. They've got the dedicated overdrive knob that was added with the SKX Pro. I wonder if they will include the simulated multi-contact behavior. I'll predict yes. I'll also predict $1995 price.

Some pics for people who don't want to bother trying to get them from the video...

ScreenShot2023-04-04at2_35_36PM.thumb.jpg.075c94309c38726cba62329a5d943468.jpg

ScreenShot2023-04-04at2_34_02PM.thumb.jpg.0cacde1b3f952cf40def44926032cbf2.jpg

ScreenShot2023-04-04at2_34_53PM.thumb.jpg.04c3cda6fcf7a39bff4c369bb921e0cd.jpg

ScreenShot2023-04-04at2_35_17PM.thumb.jpg.c2f4d36644027b99af619c67201c3634.jpg

Please, please, PLEASE, Hammond.  Give us ratcheting (or, clicky clack) drawbars like on A100/B3/C3.  I have gotten SOOOO MUCH shit on Facebook from preferring those drawbars, but what can I say?  Only 38, been playing off & on since 16.  I’m old school…. Feel like I was RAISED on the Hammond.

• Haha 1

I can't really talk about it much, but I did go to Chicago last Tuesday to make some demos. I could not stop playing it. I will say that it isn't just an SK Pro without the non-organ voices.

I'll also say that the halfmoon is the standard Hammond CU-1 and does not come with the organ as far as I know. You can mount a CU-1 to the SKX Pro due to threaded holes in the bottom rail. While the regular single manual SK Pro keyboards can use a CU-1, I don't think there are mounting holes for it. But you could always velcro that bad boy.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

I can't really talk about it much, but I did go to Chicago last Tuesday to make some demos. I could not stop playing it. I will say that it isn't just an SK Pro without the non-organ voices.

I'll also say that the halfmoon is the standard Hammond CU-1 and does not come with the organ as far as I know. You can mount a CU-1 to the SKX Pro due to threaded holes in the bottom rail. While the regular single manual SK Pro keyboards can use a CU-1, I don't think there are mounting holes for it. But you could always velcro that bad boy.

Jim I went and talked to my buddy at Sweetwater and apparently the single manual boards don't work well with the CU-1.  There have been complaints about it.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

2 hours ago, Outkaster said:

Jim I went and talked to my buddy at Sweetwater and apparently the single manual boards don't work well with the CU-1.  There have been complaints about it.

I admit I have never tried the CU-1 on the single manual SK Pro models, but I've used it with the SKX Pro. Not sure why it would be any different other than no stock way to mount it. In regards to software, shouldn't it be the same?

I’m probably going to pull the cu-1 from my SKx.  It irritates me to no end there is no kick switch available for the SKx’s swell pedal.  

I need a third hand for a half moon because more often than not, when I want change gears on the Leslie one hand is on the stage piano and one is on the organ. 

4 minutes ago, CEB said:

I’m probably going to pull the cu-1 from my SKx.  It irritates me to no end there is no kick switch available for the SKx’s swell pedal.  

I need a third hand for a half moon because more often than not, when I want change gears on the Leslie one hand is on the stage piano and one is on the organ. 

Dumb question from me because I don't have the SKx; rotary speed changes are usually tied to a CC#; if the SKx supports aftertouch ( don't know if it does) could you assign aftertouch to the CC# that controls rotary speed?  This way the hand that is on the organ, just push the keys down to activate the speed change.  I use to do this with my Ensoniq back in the day.

• Thanks 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I had a KS-32 that did that.  That is a great idea. I should have at least thought of it.  I have no idea if it is possible.  But I will find out.

I don’t even know if it has aftertouch.  I just use it as a stage organ.  

Thanks. 

ps -  Boo, no aftertouch supported, but it was worth a thought.  

I forget about the sustain pedal jack on the SKx … because organs don’t have damper pedals. 😀

Thanks

43 minutes ago, CEB said:

I forget about the sustain pedal jack on the SKx … because organs don’t have damper pedals. 😀

Thanks

you do have to plug it into the foot switch slot and not the damper slot though! Just using the damper doesn’t work

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Interesting.. Is this going to be revealed this NAMM show? or when?

I agree with Woody though, screen seems kinda redundant and the SK PRO is one of the least intuitive boards I ever tried to tinker with. 

So let's see if H/S took notes and made this one not a chore to navigate 

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

15 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

I will say that it isn't just an SK Pro without the non-organ voices.

Not that that would be a bad thing!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chummy said:

SK PRO is one of the least intuitive boards I ever tried to tinker with. 

So let's see if H/S took notes and made this one not a chore to navigate 

If you simply removed all the non-organ stuff from the SK Pro, it probably wouldn't be bad to  navigate at all!

• Like 1

I wonder if that flat space on the right is large enough for an iPad….

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

5 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

If you simply removed all the non-organ stuff from the SK Pro, it probably wouldn't be bad to  navigate at all!

I agree!

I wonder what was Jim referencing when he said it's not only an organ board. Without knowing the product, I'd say H/S missed the chance to add a second set of drawbars to the new XK4 -

So it would compete with the Viscount Legend Solo, and also to differentiate the new "more specified" XK-4 with the all rounder SK-Pro that has 1 set of drawbars

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

Oh my god, I was on the job. It’s sound check. I never read the SKX manual. I’ve played Hammond clones since the B-3000.  Real men don’t read the manual. The SKX started playing EVs on the top manual and I had no idea how to get organ back. 😀.  I would have given anything for a SKX with no EVs. I was wishing I had my XK3C rig. In a panic I pushed something and the organ came and the gig was good. But worried through the whole show that I would do it again.