Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

stage presence, how do you deal with that as a keyboard player?

It really depends on the gig.  One of my inspirations for stage presence of a band has always been Peter Gabriel’s band in “Secret World Live” and how players like David Sancious, Tony Levin and David Rhodes interact with Peter in a stage setting, create movement and look like they are engaged in the performance.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

1. Wear a big cape
2. Use your elbow for Hammond glisses
3. Tilt the Hammond
4. Own your space

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DK0B5uCpmxQ&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DK0B5uCpmxQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • Love 1

Remember - you can make a record without an organ on it, but it won't be as good

www.robpoyton.co.uk

Stage show is probably my weakest attribute.   I don't have stage fright (I like singing lead for instance) but I don't move or dance around much.  Best I can pull off is "intense" with the head nod and slightly dramatic stance (I stand to play).

I do try to dress the part in part to make up for it.   Nothing too flashy, sort of the "nashville dress code" with jeans and shirt most of the time.  Amazing how many dudes in bands around here dress like they are taking their kids to the food court, but ymmv.

We have a lead singer and guitarist who are better in that regard, and our bassist is up front while the drummer and I are in back.

I feel you can take things too far as well.  Our old bassist jumped around like Bruce Dickensen (Iron Maiden) with metal poses and it was too over the top when you are playing freaking Brown Eyed Girl.   Definitely a distraction more than engaging.   

• Like 1

For me (and everyone is different!), the key to stage presence is sounding as good as I possibly can sound. Let the music speak for itself, and the right crowd will hopefully gravitate towards it. I'd rather my stuff be liked for the right reasons, instead of the most amount of people, so I practice as much as I can. However, I know that because I have a day job I can literally afford this "get off my lawn" attitude...

That being said, there are some little things I like to do if I have the choice, like being seated at the left side of the stage facing the rest of the stage. This puts my right hand towards the audience, which is where most of the "action" happens with the type of music that I'm usually playing. I also do agree with the dress aspect, at least to a point. Don't ever show up in sweatpants.

• Like 1

Nord: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D

Casio: PX-5S

Yamaha: P-121

Novation: MiniNova, BSII, Circuit

DSI Mopho x4

There's the music and there's the visual.   Yes, it's called Show Business, but the keyboard part of the music is better seated, & the show is better standing, jumping around, costumed, etc. 

If you're doing any of the latter, the music suffers. It may be a necessary evil to make a living in these times, but let's not pretend it is anything other than sacrificing some of the music  for the visual. 

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, ITGITC said:

I knew that would get your attention! :wave: :D

One day I'm driving down to Florida to buy you a beer, cphollis.

Tom

That'd be nice!  Here's a fan photo from last night's gig.  As you can see, on a narrow stage it really doesn't matter much what I do ....

Glory Days at Square Grouper 3.jpg

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

The initial list was pretty good.  Mine is similar:

• I always stand -- people apparently watch my feet!
    • In worship context, someone told me that they could tell I was engaged because I my legs were always moving (even without tromping a bunch of pedals).  I got self-conscious about that, and do it less now.  People say they miss it!
    • In a band context (which applies to the rest of this posting) I am constantly using damper, sostenuto, Leslie F/S pedal, and sometimes another for steel guitar bends.  Weirdly, I've been told that folks enjoy watching that.
  • I set up on stage right, facing the band, with the audience on my right, so they can see that I am doing things. (I got that trick from Lizst.)  The music / lyrics stand is between me and the band, not between me and the audience.
    • tangent: I get frustrated if I am playing a beautiful guitar solo on the Kurz and everyone is watching the guitarist as if he did it.
  • I lobby  hard for lighting to acknowledge me, especially if I am soloing.
  • I do have a keytar, which I will sometimes play even though the stack would have been musically useful, precisely to emphasize stage presence over sound.
  • When I am able to do a dual stack, I put the shorter stack between me and the audience, sometimes a piano for when I sing lead, sometimes the keytar on an X stand for playing leads and/or quick pickup.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

9 hours ago, Emiel Minnee said:

stage presence, how do you deal with that as a keyboard player?

So... I watched the video, the music and vocals sound great.  As for stage presence, what's happening here is appropriate for the event.  If you - as the keyboardist - decided all of a sudden to do something dramatically different, it would probably look and feel out of place.  Hence, if you are wanting some more visual things to happen - I'm thinking it should happen for the entire group, not just yourself.

Something you could try - is once in a while, have the entire band do moves together, i.e. swaying side to side like a gospel choir.  Not crazy gyrations, just some subtle side to side, in time with the music.  It looks like the girls are already doing this a bit.  You might find just some subtle moves, performed in sync by the entire group, will add to your personal enjoyment and the audience might like it too.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Agree with standing up and naturally grooving with the music along with some band/audience interaction from time to time. I've never done a sit down gig in my life. Maybe not applicable to a jazz gig. I played in hard rock bands.

Keeping keyboards "low profile" as opposed to tall, ugly double/triple tier stands so you can be seen better.

Having charts, etc. was always a no-no in my mind. Never used any. Memorized everything.

When I played clubs full time (long ago now) I set my rig up ala Keith Emerson. Two opposing keyboard shells that looked similar to two organs that housed a Hammond, a couple of synths and a string machine. Leslie, large keyboard monitors, etc where a wall behind me. Playing keyboards on opposing sides naturally positioned me to face the audience. Takes a bit of practice to play like that, but it's not hard. I also sang lead vocals from time to time which always helps draw attention. I dressed like a rock star, as did everyone else in the band. 

Basically my setup was very similar to this:

image.png.7b6d1fe386d31a7bbd0646a0c379c5ca.png

I’d much rather listen to a good band or musician than watch them jump around.  If you’re Alice Cooper or Van Halen, yeah, it fits.  I tend to see more Jazz or Blues acts than anything else and they just play.  I saw Eric Johnson a few years back, a bona-fide rock star, and he pretty much just played.  I was there to listen.  It was great.

I find the people telling me how I should look on stage are not musicians and need the visual.  I find it silly but I’m weird.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stoken6 said:

OT - but tell me about this performance @Emiel Minnee:

You mentioned this was

and there's a Menorah just in front of the stage. Singing in English and Hebrew, captioned in English, phonetic Hebrew and Dutch

What's the story?

Cheers, Mike.

well yeah can understand you're question,   to answer to it.

This is organized by a baptist church, with theme evenings about Israel.    So in the same space, some of the things where still standing there from the morning service.

But not my point, It is not if it is christian or whatever someone believes, It is about music and musicians :)

I am curious about people deriding X-Stands. I’ve used ALL KINDS over the years: Xs, Zs, Tables, Columns.

I used a Spider Pro for years and loved it in a larger band context where I wasn’t central. But the modern I stepped into the spotlight with my own smaller groups, I realized “my god, all this shit is just in the way”. And now I hate using columns, if I face the audience, there’s a big column blocking my body and I’m a floating head. If I turn sideways, I’m always blocked from one of my bandmates, and I find myself peaking around it just to make eye contact.

I had nabbed a double-brace X-stand for rehearsal after not using Xs for over a decade. Wow, I feel suddenly so much more engaged.

Maybe I’ll go back to getting a Z stand, obviously Xs aren’t cool, and technically problematic, but I’m done with Columns.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Folks have stronger opinions on this than I thought they would...some of this reminds me of Mac vs. PC.

And F the guy who wants to crap on the OP being brave enough to put himself out there, share the video of him playing live in a worship service, and ask for advice. Shame on you.

Back on topic. IMHO, a lot of this is genre dependent. Another healthy dose is context and event driven. Some of it also depends on how much of an extroverted show person you were already born with living inside (which of course was never a requirement to learn to play music). Etc., etc., etc.

All that being said, having run worship ministries for 20 years - do what is natural for you within context that demonstrates you are engaged with the music, engaged with the other players on stage, and engaged with the purpose of the song. I don't think there are more specific ground rules I'd suggest, other than to agree with you that having the majority of the musicians appear to be riveted to the sheet music isn't particularly inspiring. If this is the first time you've played the tune, yeah, I get it. If that isn't the case, most of the band should have this tune memorized cold, and able to fully engage with each other while playing. Some of you might even dare to smile and demonstrate your are enjoying the experience. This is not a light or flippant suggestion - one of the hardest things with many church musicians is to give them permission to smile and enjoy themselves (they come in with the preconception that playing in church is like being in a classical library - no fun, no talking, be serious, don't enjoy yourself). You'd be surprised how much things can change with exactly the same seated position if 1) loosen reliance upon sheet music, so you can visually check in with each other from time to time, and 2) smile every once in a while.

As far as dance / show / corporate work bands, I have my opinions on show, stand vs sit, etc. Those audiences listen with their eyes. Straight jazz, not so much. I know what works for me. 

Nuff said.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, EricBarker said:

I am curious about people deriding X-Stands. I’ve used ALL KINDS over the years: Xs, Zs, Tables, Columns.

Eric - far as I know, the only problems that come up with X-stand hate is the dreaded one point of failure which leads to falling keyboard. 

I used to use a Baby Spider Pro - never felt like a floating head...but felt like I was boxed behind a desk of a Kronos 73 and Wave (so still insulated from audience, but not by the stand). 

Angling the orientation a little improved things, when stage allows it.

Not a performer but I am definitely experienced as an audience. It's subjective but here is the list that matters:

1. Play well

2. Have a great sound system / means to deliver your playing from instrument to broadcast

3. All you really need to do is show that you are playing for an audience and not playing for a recorder in an isolated booth. Simply look at the audience and smile when they applaud and if you were featured or someone calls attention to you wave. 

Don't bop, don't be an over the top ham unless you are that much of a flashy performer because it cant be faked. People see through it. Don't go so far out you look like you are running out ahead of your ability as a musician. Your ability as a musician must always be the priority. Unless your band is like Blue Man Group and more about the visuals.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, D. Gauss said:

on the opposite end of the spectrum, even though a friend of mine is playing bass in the band, i find this guy and his "hey, look at me" whirlygig keyboard annoying as hell:

By all accounts that guy is said to be a very skilled player. I also find the amount of whirly unpleasant, but I suppose it's a matter of personal taste. 

What I find more strange is the keyboard height. That guy is a tall dude, and it seems like he's set the keyboard quite low, and he's all hunched over playing.

Just now, timwat said:

By all accounts that guy is said to be a very skilled player. I also find the amount of whirly unpleasant, but I suppose it's a matter of personal taste. 

What I find more strange is the keyboard height. That guy is a tall dude, and it seems like he's set the keyboard quite low, and he's all hunched over playing.

pretty sure that's 'cause sometimes he actually sits and plays the thing like a normal person would.

For me, standing just does not work.  The way I play utilizes a LOT of sustain pedal work, and the volume pedal when doing other instruments / sounds.  To stand means I basically have to put most of my weight on my left leg, and standing on one leg for long periods of time does not work for me.  I’m told I’m a very “theatrical” performer;  I move with the music a lot (can’t sit still).  I, personally, do not feel my energy / enthusiasm level projected out to the audience is any different whether I stand or sit.  And more complex playing, for me, requires a sitting position.  YMMV, I understand.

I also agree that the style of music one plays greatly affects the “performance” requirements.  I don’t think “visual performance” was critical to the OP’s situation.  Not withstanding that, I think it is always inappropriate to sit there like a lump on a log.  One should at least convey enjoyment and involvement.  For me, “music is supposed to be fun”.  If you’re not visibly having fun playing it, how can you expect anyone else to do so?

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

4 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

Doesn't it depend on the gig? Your video is of a group playing for a church service. You're hired to do a job - it's not a concert where people come specifically to see you.

When I started playing in praise bands, it was straight from the bars. At first I was admonished for "putting on a show" when the primary purpose was to help the congregation connect with God. To the OP: You're doing it exactly right just the way you are. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cassdad said:

b Not withstanding that, I think it is always inappropriate to sit there like a lump on a log.  One should at least convey enjoyment and involvement.  For me, “music is supposed to be fun”.  If you’re not visibly having fun playing it, how can you expect anyone else to do so?

THIS.

A friend and former bandmate of mine, who later went on to big money, major label deals and adventures, and is a fantastic front man and guitar player explained his method this way.

He says that he considers the start of the gig as the moment when he pulls up into the parking lot. He puts on a happy "i want to be here" smile, makes sure he looks like he should be onstage, talks to anyone and everyone, and doesn't let up until he's back in the car for the ride home.  His reasoning is that if he don't look like he wants to be there, then why should anybody come?  

• Like 3