Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT : Bucket list?

bill5

What things do you hope to see/experience/accomplish before your time (that you feel are realistlic, so "have hot sex with Jennifer Aniston" is probably out for most of us :) )

A few of mine:

- Go back to Europe at least once more 

- Go to Disney

- Go to the Grand Canyon

- Make a solo album or two (hopefully more but as I get older, my delusions of grandeur shrink) 

- Bowl a 200+ game (I've gotten close)

- Shoot a sub-90 golf game (OK that one might not be realistic) I would instead accept a hole-in-one, but again...realism :)  

- Take a helicopter ride 

- Take a balloon ride

• Like 1

There's only one "mod," and I doubt he said that. 

You can still edit, the window is something like 12 hours. It would be gracious to mark it as OT, without waiting until someone complains. This board is pretty consistent in the use of "revealing" thread titles; there's really no downside to marking an OT thread as OT, but there is certainly downside to not doing it.

• Like 3

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

2 hours ago, bill5 said:

What things do you hope to see/experience/accomplish before your time (that you feel are realistlic, so "have hot sex with Jennifer Aniston" is probably out for most of us :) )

A few of mine:

- Go back to Europe at least once more 

- Go to Disney

- Go to the Grand Canyon

- Make a solo album or two (hopefully more but as I get older, my delusions of grandeur shrink) 

- Bowl a 200+ game (I've gotten close)

- Shoot a sub-90 golf game (OK that one might not be realistic) I would instead accept a hole-in-one, but again...realism :)  

- Take a helicopter ride 

- Take a balloon ride

Posed as musician or keyboard activity, a good topic.  

The way you posed it, why not ask Reddit rather than here?

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I thought this was a gear bucket list thread or something. Adding an "OT" to the subject line is a nice courtesy, especially for those searching for threads later on.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I hope to see the Northern Lights - I never have despite growing up in New Hampshire.

I would love to going skiing in France  - but I think climate change has already put that dream to bed.

I hope to find a piano teacher who not only knows how to identify problems with piano performance, but also know methods to reliably overcome those problems.

I hope to play in an ensemble of great musicians performing the music I like at lots of high-paying, well-attended gigs

18 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

There's only one "mod," and I doubt he said that. 

You're wrong, and you're wrong. But thanks for calling me a liar and whining about the thread. Classy.

If this causes so much angst for some of you, you know you can easily report this ghastly offense to however many mods there are.

Edit: nm, looks like it's been updated. Can we get back to the topic now?

• Haha 1

I don't really have a bucket list. The things you'd normally like to do, I've done or experienced fully acceptable surrogates. I've had a little FOMO crop up, but I was too fortunate too often for it to have become a Thing at all. 

As in: I missed a chance to see Gentle Giant, but I got to see Allan Holdsworth, Pink Floyd and Willie Nelson in a trio including David Allan Coe & Jerry Jeff Walker.

I've flown a few places and went scuba diving for a few years. I've owned some great hardware, got to play live for a while and got the goodies that can come from it because I did enuf woodshedding.

I also got to see a worthy drag queen righteously punch a wanker out of his boots for sneering and calling her a fag, post-show. BAD MOVE! Hah!

What I've missed has been pretty well balanced out by what I've experienced. Being able to come on here and add my blather to all of yours is almost like a cherry on top. If my life had a primary soundtrack, though, it'd probably be Anthony Newman playing "Ride of the Valkyries" on the pipe organ.

We need synth and pipe organ emojis, featuring a player going at it with almost unsettling gusto. :keynana: 

• Haha 1

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

I have a bucket list but it's maybe nobody's business, at least not in these fora. 😇

Like David Emm, I've had an interesting life full of pleasant surprises. 

I was a passenger in a car that slipped over the edge of the mountain highway, tumbled end over end until it stopped with the roof up against a tree and I was floating above watching the entire scene take place. I pushed the car back level, my friend who was driving got out and we walked back up the hill. Shaken and stirred but not dead. 

I saw the Who on the Tommy tour and lots of other great musicians. I sold Rick Neilson from Cheap Trick a tweed Fender Deluxe amp and he said the headless guitar I built was "too weird for him."

I played bass for Bo Diddley at a 2 hour gig and he shook my hand afterward. 

I created photographs with many gorgeous nude women. 

And stuff... 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

When I was at senior school I started my Bucket List, its changed a bit over the years.

I wanted to get a Private Pilots license, 30 years later I did.

I wanted to own a Jaguar car, did that, but not exactly the one I really wanted which was an XK120

Once I learned how to ski, I wanted to ski St Anton in Austria and Aspen in the USA, both ticked off (St Anton was better)

I learned how to ride a motorcycle, then wanted to ride it at 150 mph, I did that in Germany.

I wanted to swim the Great Barrier Reef, did that too

To see the Northern Lights, one day perhaps

Visit Machu Pichu, no chance now, I’d die through lack of oxygen

I wanted to set foot in every Continent

To visit Venice

To stay in Raffles Hotel

To ride The Rockie Mountaineer in Canada

Currently the most important is to see my Grandchildren graduate from University

• Like 1

Col

5 hours ago, bill5 said:

You're wrong, and you're wrong. But thanks for calling me a liar and whining about the thread. Classy.

If this causes so much angst for some of you, you know you can easily report this ghastly offense to however many mods there are.

Edit: nm, looks like it's been updated. Can we get back to the topic now?

Lighten up, Francis. 

Welcome to Keyboard Corner, a subsidiary of Music Player Network.

Your moderator on this board is the lovely and talented Dave Bryce. I am not going to @ him because if you do that three times Beetlejuice comes. 

Dave's rules for the board are up there ^^^^ as a sticky at the top of the forum.

Music Player Network is host to many other boards, with many other moderators. Each board has different rules; some are completely fine with OT, you just happen to have picked one where the moderator (and as a result, the posters here) are not.

Music Player Network is itself a tiny little slice of a very, very large internet, which contains many such boards, many of which are essentially entirely OT.

It's just two letters, but they go a long way. If it causes such angst to type them, why not just do the off-topic threads on any of the other boards here at MPN? Everyone will still see them and you won't have to have the moderator (no 's') do your work for you.

Now that we've covered that...I think my only bucket list item left is that I'd like to stay alive long enough to see the aliens come, or for us to find them elsewhere, however long that takes. Otherwise, I think I've hit all the highlights and am happy watching my kids just start to hit theirs. 

• Like 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Throughout my life, I’ve squeezed in time to play piano wherever I could, between a full time+ job, family, etc.  Over the last ten years, I was able to find time to play keys in rock/blues/pop cover bands. It was fun, but as I approach retirement, I’ve hung up the cover band thing, and am turning my attention to something I’ve always wanted to do - learn to play jazz (hence my screen name). I don’t know how far I’ll make it or how good I’ll be able to get, but I’m hoping for a long retirement!

• Like 3
  • Love 2

On 2/16/2023 at 6:54 PM, surfergirl said:

Surf the 10 most dangerous surf spots in the world. I've done 2.

Shipsterns?  YIKES!

I grew up surfing in Ventura, CA, a few dangerous moments over the years, but nothing compared to what y'all are doing these days.  Places like Teahupoo, Shipsterns, Jaws, completely mind boggling.  Oh yeah... Nazare...sheesh!

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

On 2/17/2023 at 2:50 PM, MathOfInsects said:

I think my only bucket list item left is that I'd like to stay alive long enough to see the aliens come, or for us to find them elsewhere, however long that takes. Otherwise, I think I've hit all the highlights and am happy watching my kids just start to hit theirs. 

This - and to become 50% as proficient as a keyboard player as the average proficiency on this forum.

Limited to what I feel is appropriate to say in this forum:

- I have about 10 musical projects that are ready to be realized. One of them is ready for publication, two more need some final touch plus mixing/mastering, and the rest have yet to be recorded but everything is there: Tunes, arrangements, song list. etc. So I hope to have at least some of them done while I'm still functioning as a musician/performer. However, times are tough for publishing albums, unless you pay for everything, buy a lot of copies, etc.

- I would really like to resume traveling, at least a bit. Until 2004 or so, I was traveling all the time, then it was a steep descending curve, as things in life and work changed. And of course covid was the final blow.