Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is your favorite interval and favorite chord?

From a Ben Folds interview being asked the question on favorite interval (I added favorite chord).

Mine:

- Interval: Major 2nd

- Chord: C#min first inversion below Middle C (Beethoven).

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

This is a tough one...

Interval: I'd probably go with minor 3rd

Chord: I/bVII (First chord of the chorus in Toy Matinee's "Last Plane Out.")

• Like 3

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Chord: tough to choose between maj7 and 7. Very diff chords and so basic but just classic standbys. 

1 hour ago, justin_havu said:

(First chord of the chorus in Toy Matinee's "Last Plane Out.")

Wow someone else remembers this great group huge props

• Like 2

The obsession about chords in themselves is a typical jazz pathology and is the reason why I distanced myself from jazz, I felt too much is spent on coming up with weird chords and chord voicing, consequently scales/modes/outlines for the sake of the momentary sound of it, but the whole just sounds like stitching some quasi-random chords next to each other (besides the obvious ii-V-I cadences) for the sake of creating ambiguity and "complication", kind of "look how unpredictable and complicated it sounds and how well I can apply all these pre-cooked scales and licks on top of it".

All that being said, I used to love all that 😀 Not anymore though. My favorite chord (with the corresponding voicing) still is the Am7/9/11 in the following low-to-high voicing:

A - E - B - C - G - D

I believe some books attribute that voicing to Herbie Hancock as his first popularizer, not sure about that but I wouldn't be surprised.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CyberGene said:

The obsession about chords in themselves is a typical jazz pathology and is the reason why I distanced myself from jazz, I felt too much is spent on coming up with weird chords and chord voicing, consequently scales/modes/outlines for the sake of the momentary sound of it, but the whole just sounds like stitching some quasi-random chords next to each other (besides the obvious ii-V-I cadences) for the sake of creating ambiguity and "complication", kind of "look how unpredictable and complicated it sounds and how well I can apply all these pre-cooked scales and licks on top of it".

All that being said, I used to love all that 😀 Not anymore though. My favorite chord (with the corresponding voicing) still is the Am7/9/11 in the following low-to-high voicing:

A - E - B - C - G - D

I believe some books attribute that voicing to Herbie Hancock as his first popularizer, not sure about that but I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm perfectly happy with major and minor triads with an occasional dominant 7 thrown in and proper voice leading.  Sonata Pathetique 2nd movement.

According to the interview, Herbie's favorite interval is min9. That is the Herbie chord you like.  I like this version a tiny bit better:   A - E - C - D - G - B

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

7 hours ago, CyberGene said:

I LOVE CHORDs and it started on guitar I was the guy who prefered play the rhythm and didn't care if I got a solo.   That love of chords is even more intense since moving to piano and I have more options that I didn't on guitar.   I don't think there's anything quasi-random about it, it comes from a lot of seat time experimenting and working on tunes and changes.   True Jazz is about exploring in the moment so the is experimentation in live performance but it part of exploring an idea, it's not just grabbing clusters of notes to be weird.    That why I like chords and Jazz. 

1 hour ago, Docbop said:

I don't think there's anything quasi-random about it, it comes from a lot of seat time experimenting and working on tunes and changes.

Exactly. It’s not random, because there is often some logic in connecting these chords to make it sound “jazz” but it’s often based mostly on the individual chord color or a desired sudden change of tone content, so that it doesn’t sound diatonic or too logical (in the ii-V-I sense), so it’s almost like striving to be random while it’s not. Hence, quasi-random. See, I’m not criticizing it from a general point of view, only from my own personal point of view: it bores me. And I used to love it. So, I perfectly understand why people love chords and jazz, etc. I just moved on. To me these types of jazz that are too “chordy” are like cooking with spices only. Add to that the improvisational element which necessitates certain routines and templatization and it becomes all too same for me. I’m not opposing genres but I went back to classical music where they sparingly use these complex chords and ambiguous changes only when needed, to spice up at the right moment and spend much more time on form, development, careful architecture and planning on huge scale between multiple instruments (which simply can’t happen with improvisation). Again, I’m not opposing genres, not rejecting jazz. I just had been eating too much of it for quite a long time and reached a point where I can’t stand it anymore… Rather my own issue, nothing wrong with jazz 😕

Hell I don't know.

Bb major over Ab major and other like type polychords are cool.

So What chords and quartal harmonies are cool. ... I like all the cool chords.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Originally I was taken by pure, well laid out major chords, let's say like Bach, power chords, Hymns and grand pop songs. Of course, the way a chord or an interval sounds, or in fact even how a single note sounds influences the pleasure of playing chords  lot. Modern digital instruments appear often tuned and harmonized and envelope mangled towards "music" interpretations which don't appeal to me and which make even basic gospel sounds sh*tty.

On a good sounding and well tuned instrument, lots of chord sequences are wonderful, and the jazzier it can sound, the better to the point where I don't acknowledge individual chords any more and an overall tonality and sound appears. this is only possible on good instruments. It's like you take your nice guitar chords and take every tone over to a sampler and play them like on a guitar, will it even sound ok ?

Quite a while I liked the major triad with added b10 chord for spicing up funky pieces, but pretty soon that becomes a difficult game with technical knowledge need to understand produced Sample (Joe) to improvised Chorea (Chick) in terms of exact notes played. I like that but there I meet technical barriers that I cannot just skip. That's about changes more than knowing a few attractive chords, like playing Yellowjackets without self control: a hopeless enterprise and harmonic hell.

T

2 hours ago, stoken6 said:

That's the Layla chord (if the outro was in A I think?). 

Cheers, Mike.

My post was just a nod to the legendary thread of several years ago.😝