Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What beer or wine are you drinking lately?

bill5

3 minutes ago, JazzPiano88 said:

In my experience, there have never been numerous inexpensive good wines.   Inexpensive good wines exist but they are rare.

As a confirmation of the above, it's been proven that (1) most people have no taste who think they have taste,  and (2) 38% of people don't have a sense of humor, resulting in a serious conflict with who they interact.  

You take that back!!

:swigs Boones Farm:

• Like 1

6 months after my original reply, and I say again...

...Beer??

...Wine??

Um, look at my avatar -- AND my license plate!!!

...OLD NO7

I've been stopped by the cops 3 times with this plate, plus once at the border crossing into Canada!  I tell them it's an "old locomotive my late father worked on..." and they usually tell me, "No, it's the donkey in Grizzly Adams!"

But WE know better. 😏

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 + Keystation 61 * Roland Fantom-08 * Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD + JBL 305 MkIIs

And screw top wines are getting better. Wine consumers are slowly realizing that screw tops are better than corks. Wine snobs are appalled. And the French are the last to go there. But I have a couple of French reds with screw tops. They're perfectly fine wines.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a big fan of craft brewery IPAs with a twist. Here in New Mexico, here's my go-to:

3427794.7k-twocans.jpg

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, 2 Invisible keyboard stands (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

I was low and stopped at one of these old, small, grungy grocery stores mostly because it was close and I didn't feel like driving another 20+ mins to the next nearest "real" grocery store. Not surprisingly, being in the boonies, their beer selection was a joke. Mostly the Bud/Miller stuff and a tiny section of craft brew. And I hate canned beer, which seems to be all the rage now (?). So I settled on Sam Adams' Oktoberfest beer, which I recalled trying a couple of years ago and felt was respectable. I don't know why. This just does nothing for me at all.

When I purchased an Alfa Romeo last month, a small gift was left by the dealership in the car, a bottle of Aperol. I didn’t even know what that is, but luckily it was explained on the bottle how it’s all about (what turned out to be a recently becoming very famous) Aperol Spritz cocktail with Prosecco wine, so I started making myself one each evening as an aperitif and I love it ❤️ Already finished the bottle 😀 But my wife says that cocktail is too watery and light..

Slightly OT, but anyways....

What with inflation and all, I did some calculations to figure out which is the cheapest alcohol by alcohol content.   I'm sure it's not completely accurate, but I came up with:

Vodka:  8.0 cents per ml of alcohol

Beer:     8.1 cents per ml of alcohol

Wine:     9.6 cents per ml of alcohol

To try to be objective, I based it on inexpensive, yet still palatable versions of each type.   That is, I didn't include rotgut.   Vodka is based on Smirnoff, Beer is based on Pabst Blue Ribbon, Wine is based on Naked Grape Shiraz.

I was hoping there would be a bigger difference between beer and vodka, since I'm not much of a wine drinker.

On 1/20/2023 at 7:57 PM, Synthaholic said:

I've been drinking Ouzo lately. I go on and off of it. Sometimes a Yeungling Black and Tan.

I'm back on it. Total Wine carries Hermes Ouzo for $14.99. It's not the best but it's the cheapest!

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

19 hours ago, bill5 said:

PBR isn't rotgut? When did that happen? :) 

It made the ironic hipster bar circuit a decade ago and experienced a marked-up weird rebirth of sorts. Not sure it's still a trend.

Made me shake my head when I remembered 12-packs of PBR back in the day duking it out with Rolling Rock and Keystone LIght for the Midwestern convenience store cheap beer of choice.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, 2 Invisible keyboard stands (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

13 hours ago, Ed A. said:

I stopped drinking beer like 25 years ago. That's how I kept my svelte physique.  😁

I think I mentioned it here before, but rather than quitting, I've switched to stocking a cold six pack of theseimage.thumb.png.c6be59fee02486d5c5f6993cbf7b07fa.png

When I get home from work, I pound an ice cold one and it hits all the pleasure receptors - just like a regular beer - but at 65 calories a pop which is about 1/3 of a full potency IPA. 

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

12 hours ago, bill5 said:

I tried N/A beer. I forget which; it tasted OK, but drinking N/A beer to me is like drinking decaffeinated coffee. It's pointless.

Virtually all N/A beer is forgettable at best, usually worse than awful. Just recently that has begun to change. I'm a hop head and the one I mentioned above cures that Jones, without all the caloric baggage. YMMV

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

On 9/19/2023 at 11:44 AM, bill5 said:

PBR isn't rotgut? When did that happen? :) 

All kidding aside, I stand by my opinion that it's not rotgut.  I'm not gonna extol its virtues like it's one of the greats or anything,  but for inexpensive beer, it ain't bad.  For one thing, it doesn't have an annoying aftertaste, which is a big plus for me.    Not sure how consistent they are, but so far, I don't find much to complain about.