Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New apps from GSi on the way?

To B3

Gsi posted this on Facebook Yesterday:

https://www.facebook.com/GenuineSoundware/posts/pfbid02Ht8h4dYR2KbkCgeJrfiTuAFM6fAs659ZPmtJPpoJD9r3jP2Nzai1ZVrrBh52MJahl

What caught my atention is the GSi Rotary. Anyone knows anything about it?

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

The rotary is the Leslie of vb3 II, that is the same of Hammond clone Crumar Mojo. On contrary the Leslie in Vb3m is the rotary of Vb3 I, that is quite old. 
You could use Vb3m generation with “the rotary” as a Leslie sim. Theorically it could be better than Vb3m alone. 

But the new apps that the Facebook post refers are:

- a farfisa

- a vox continental

- a drum machine ‘80

- a orchestral/strings app

- a Clavinet 

The Clavinet I think is the first dedicated app for iPad to this instrument. 

Either vb3m or vb3II rotary is fine with me. I don't use the separate version of the rotary because I don't run my organ apps inside AUM so I can't run a plugin on the organ app.

I found that AUM clashes hard with my drawbar controllers like D9x or even the onboard sliders on my controller keyboards when I'm using B3x which is my first go to organ app. If it gets weird I jump over to vb3m and I want to just open the vb3m app and go because all my CC assignments are the same.

FunMachine.

• 3 months later...

So GSi have now posted a video of Magic Tines. This follows on from the combo organs a couple of weeks back. I can't tell what the new Rhodes is like because it's drowned in phaser. I'm hoping the model will be the same as the one in the Gemini.  I was expecting the Clav next to be honest. 

Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/GenuineSoundware

37 minutes ago, ChazKeys said:

So GSi have now posted a video of Magic Tines. This follows on from the combo organs a couple of weeks back. I can't tell what the new Rhodes is like because it's drowned in phaser. I'm hoping the model will be the same as the one in the Gemini.  I was expecting the Clav next to be honest. 

Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/GenuineSoundware

the gemini's rhodes is modeled, the apps have been sampled. i havent found yet any of the samples to be better than anything that he had previously modeled.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

11 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

the gemini's rhodes is modeled, the apps have been sampled. i havent found yet any of the samples to be better than anything that he had previously modeled.

I think the only app that just uses samples is the Genuine Sounds player. Some apps are the same models as found in the Gemini. Maybe the demo is the PM (DX7 type) EP from the Gemini. Some of the apps should sound the same as the Gemini. But GS is limited by processing power in the iPad - the Gemini has 2 very powerful, dedicated processors. So maybe the Clav and EPs will not be the same code as the Gemini models. 

Here is a list of Apps that are modelled:

Vb3m (not VB3 II in the Gemini but based on the VB3 V1)

Solo Trumpet -

" then it evolved in a renovated emulation featured in the GSi Gemini, and now is here again with a new plugin. "

Electrorchestra -

"for iPad is the portable version of the very same Virtual String Machine of the GSi Gemini. "

Krill

Red Animal  -

"The sound engine of GSi Red Animal is also featured in the GSi Gemini and the Crumar Mojo 61. "

Compact Deluxe -

"The sound engine of GSi Compact DeLuxe is also included in the GSi Gemini as well as in the Crumar Mojo 61. 

PM EP  (?)

So if you include the sample player he has released 8 variants of the original 15 instruments from the Gemini.  Is the Clav next? An exact model of the Gemini Clav would be nice.

I got the trumpet one and found that the attack was a little spitty. That's OK for some phrasing but for fast runs it became unnatural. I know orchestras don't play fast runs but I wonder if there are other artifacts. I always get dinged when I go first on these things. 

FunMachine.

On 3/21/2023 at 7:27 AM, hrestov said:

In the app Gsi sound piano edition there are some samples Rhodes. So I think this new app could be a modelled one, maybe the same sound of crumar seven. 
In reality there aren’t much good Rhodes app in iOS now. 

GSI responded that it will be a mixture of samples and modeling. Not the same as in the Crumar Seven.

9 hours ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

I got the trumpet one and found that the attack was a little spitty. That's OK for some phrasing but for fast runs it became unnatural. I know orchestras don't play fast runs but I wonder if there are other artifacts. I always get dinged when I go first on these things. 

The Solo Trumpet is modeled but the Mini Orchestra is samples - so that's a big difference.  I didn't notice any lag in the Gemini version of the Orchestra but I didn't use it that much. But there are envelope controls so you can adjust the attack. Anyway GS says it's the same version as the one in the Gemini. The other factor is latency on the iPad.

On 3/21/2023 at 2:27 AM, hrestov said:

In the app Gsi sound piano edition there are some samples Rhodes. So I think this new app could be a modelled one, maybe the same sound of crumar seven. 
In reality there aren’t much good Rhodes app in iOS now. 

6 hours ago, ImproKeys said:

GSI responded that it will be a mixture of samples and modeling. Not the same as in the Crumar Seven.

I have the GSI Sound Piano Edition and the Rhodes left something to be desired. Hopefully there will be an improvement in the standalone app.

People have been talking about using the GSi rotary app as an AUv3 plug-in with other iOS apps, but I think something else that could be appealing about the GSi rotary app is to use it with hardware. There are keyboards whose organ emulations' weakest point is arguably the Leslie sim, and the typical pedals to address it (especially Vent, but even Lester K) are relatively pricey.  One solution has been to not use a board's organ sounds at all, but just use the board as a controller for an app like VB3m, but that, too, can have trade-offs, since you often lose any high trigger capability your board may have, and also sometimes control mapping can be complicated. For the many people who already own iPhones/iPads anyway (and especially if they already have what they need to get audio in and out of it), this rotary app might be a pretty inexpensive and simpler solution, and won't affect a board's high trigger ability.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1 hour ago, BenWaB3 said:

I have the GSI Sound Piano Edition and the Rhodes left something to be desired. Hopefully there will be an improvement in the standalone app.

IIRC the GSI piano app had some tuning issues with the originally sampled instruments (Acoustic & Rhodes). A new piano app would have to be a re-do far as I’m concerned. 

Here for the gear.

• 2 weeks later...

To anyone who is successfully using the Genuine Sounds player on an iPad, I could use some advice...

I've installed GS on both my iPad mini (A8 chip, 2019) and my iPad Pro (A9X, 2017).  Neither one, of course, is close to current specs, but they have no operational issues, and work just fine for everything -- except the GS player.  The player itself works and seems to run fine, but the sample playback is very slow. Even just playing the onscreen keyboard there is notable latency between touching a key and hearing the audio. And when connected via MIDI (via the Thunderbolt port, not Bluetooth), the latency is pretty huge; I'd guess 300-400 milliseconds, which is unplayable.

The sample libraries for GS are large, which I assume means the actual note samples are individually large.  Is the hardware on these older iPads just not enough to support the sample player?  Maybe the memory is just too slow, or the processor over-worked?  I get that; I can't expect new software to always run optimally on old hardware.  That's why I'm interested what iPad versions anyone has that is running GS smoothly...

MIDI config: Crumar Mojo Classic, 5-pin MIDI OUT; to iRig Pro interface, 5-pin MIDI IN, Thunderbolt connector OUT; to iPad 

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

Something very wrong there. I can run it on a 2014 iPad Mini. I check latency by layering it with an EP on my P121. Definitely a tad of latency but very playable. I haven’t touched the settings - caching is on, streaming buffer 500ms, background audio is off. My iPad is only 32Gb and is maxed out but I think you do need at least 1Gb of free space.

I would reboot your iPad, turn off Wifi then just load GS player. 

I only use it with a CCK so maybe the iRig is the issue? Do you have a headphone socket on the ipad you could use to bypass the iRig?

Weird that you don’t have a problem with other apps.

11 hours ago, ChazKeys said:

Something very wrong there. I can run it on a 2014 iPad Mini… I haven’t touched the settings - caching is on, streaming buffer 500ms, background audio is off.

I would reboot your iPad, turn off Wifi then just load GS player. 

I only use it with a CCK so maybe the iRig is the issue? Do you have a headphone socket on the ipad you could use to bypass the iRig?

Thank you, ChazKeys.  Great advice, and I had tried those things already, reboot, airplane mode ON. I was tight on memory, but I only loaded one Rhodes and one Grand, and still had a few megabytes free.  What finally solved my issue was opening the Device Settings dialog.  I changed the Sample Rate and the Buffer Size from their defaults, and suddenly things started working.  Ultimately, I put the settings back to their original values, and nothing changed — still working.  Seems like for some reason just opening that dialog fixed the problem. Works fine now, on both iPads. Whatever the gremlin was, it’s gone now…

• Like 3

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.facebook.com/GenuineSoundware/videos/746993793644977

Well it's the last day of April and the "magic" still hasn't arrived. I was hoping Guido was going release MagicTines this month. It's also 6 months since the Clav demo which I am really looking forward too. GSi are asking for input on revisiting Android apps so I hope he doesn't get too distracted by that!

The MiniOrchestra is great fun and the front end seems better than the Gemini. I don't remember there being 3 assignable mute groups but I sold mine a few years back. Hard to believe it is only 9Mb.

4 hours ago, ChazKeys said:

GSi are asking for input on revisiting Android apps so I hope he doesn't get too distracted by that!

I hope we *all* get the mobile GSI apps we would like to have, regardless of our chosen platform.

Android is no longer a mess for real-time audio on high end devices, especially Pixels.VB3m started it's life on Android, and it has run great on all my Google Pixel phones through the years. I'd love to have the piano app Guido teased, but I also hope the iOS folks get what was promised/teased to them.

I'd be happy with an android version of a stripped down Mr Tramp or Mr Ray. I'm happy using my iPad and have plenty of organs and EPs to use but my safety net if my iPad battery dies is my android phone and I have vb3m and DRC for synth but almost no EP.

I have a 10 year old IKMM ilectric EP I found in a dim corner of the internet but it is quirky with my controllers except my IKMM 37 pro. It works good with that.

I have to compliment MiniOrchestra. I got called in to a recording session with just a few days notice needing Stax sounds like strings and girl group horns. I was able to duplicate Rescue Me horns and other needed sounds just by muting a couple things in MiniOrchestra as needed. 

Thanks for that Guido.

FunMachine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Josh, I have only played around with the demo for a few minutes, can confirm that the modeling does not supercede the original Clavinet.

No low E on this program, honestly I guess this was to be expected.

It does sound very, very good to me at first listen. Also works in stand alone mode and has built in effects.

35 Euro's for VB3/ZD6 owners, 50 for newcomers.  Seems fair to me. 

:nopity:

10 hours ago, Doerfler said:

35 Euro's for VB3/ZD6 owners, 50 for newcomers.

$19.99 US for the iPad version.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

12 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

$19.99 US for the iPad version.

IPad version?  

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D