Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New apps from GSi on the way?

To B3

16 hours ago, HammondDave said:

IPad version?  

Yes, of Model D6.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

On 3/23/2023 at 12:11 PM, AnotherScott said:

People have been talking about using the GSi rotary app as an AUv3 plug-in with other iOS apps, but I think something else that could be appealing about the GSi rotary app is to use it with hardware. There are keyboards whose organ emulations' weakest point is arguably the Leslie sim, and the typical pedals to address it (especially Vent, but even Lester K) are relatively pricey.  One solution has been to not use a board's organ sounds at all, but just use the board as a controller for an app like VB3m, but that, too, can have trade-offs, since you often lose any high trigger capability your board may have, and also sometimes control mapping can be complicated. For the many people who already own iPhones/iPads anyway (and especially if they already have what they need to get audio in and out of it), this rotary app might be a pretty inexpensive and simpler solution, and won't affect a board's high trigger ability.

I´m thinking to do just that, but I´d like to know some things first... Has anyone tried to pair the GSi Rotary with a Roland VR09 and had any success to assign via MIDI learn the fast/slow controls to the mod lever or the sustain pedal? Or you with the VR09, you´re confined to the on screen controls?

Can I use the app with just a MIDI cable or USB plugged on the keyboard, using the line out of the ipad? Or do I need to use an audio interface, take a line out from the keyboard to the interface/ipad and then, another cable from the interface to my amp or mixer (like I would do if it was a pedal)?

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

• 2 months later...

About the GSi Rotary, anybody can confirm if it can be used as standalone too, meaning that my ipad turns into a leslie sim pedal?

Or just as a plugin within another DAW type app?

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

34 minutes ago, ABECK said:

As long as you use it in an AUv3 host that has an external audio in, you should be fine.

So, no using it as a standalone app? Like I do with the Vb3m? If it´s that the case, bummer.

There is no place to select audio routing or devices other than a request to use the ipads internal mic as an input. It states on startup the first time it was designed as an AUM V3 plug in. 

The good news is AUM isn't that expensive and you can run it as an effect chain with or without delay or other effects from an usb audio source like a simple USB audio adapter as your in/out.

FunMachine.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to check in, has anyone tried out their piano app? I've been seeing mixed reviews of the acoustic and Rhodes on the Genuine Sounds Piano Edition, the acoustic being criticized for tuning issues, but how are they otherwise? Been going back and forth between Pianoteq (love the playability but still not quite enamored with the sound) and another iOS offering. 

I've got VB3, Mr Tramp, Mr Ray 73, Samplelord, Mellotrons, synths, and much more, on a now cheap v-machine. Old Korg microkontol plugs right in to map, and control drawbars, percussion, ect, and other synth stuff. Full sized midi in, usb, full sized  audio connectors. Fan is loud but don't hear it on gigs. There is a somewhat active facebook page with lots of stuff. Tried phone once but fragile connections, and tiny screen, was it's Achilles heel.1692648644035810253236948551296.thumb.jpg.509a6ee5585db3a2d94dfd112ee6697f.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mondo Jim said:

I've got VB3, Mr Tramp, Mr Ray 73, Samplelord, Mellotrons, synths, and much more, on a now cheap v-machine. Old Korg microkontol plugs right in to map, and control drawbars, percussion, ect, and other synth stuff. Full sized midi in, usb, full sized  audio connectors. Fan is loud but don't hear it on gigs. There is a somewhat active facebook page with lots of stuff. Tried phone once but fragile connections, and tiny screen, was it's Achilles heel.1692648644035810253236948551296.thumb.jpg.509a6ee5585db3a2d94dfd112ee6697f.jpg

Wow, you're a champ. I tried a brand new v-machine long ago and had to return it because I couldn't get the old VB-3 1.4 to run on it without choking.

Moe

---

• 6 months later...

Not new but Model D6 is now iPhone compatible. 

https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=58

BTW the iphone version did not show up in my purchases despite having bought the iPad version last year.  Contacted GSi who advised to wait a few days for the App Store to update .  It finally turned up today - that’s 6 days later.

Still waiting for Magic Tines - that was teased nearly a year ago. 

4 hours ago, ChazKeys said:

Not new but Model D6 is now iPhone compatible. 

https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=58

BTW the iphone version did not show up in my purchases despite having bought the iPad version last year.  Contacted GSi who advised to wait a few days for the App Store to update .  It finally turned up today - that’s 6 days later.

Still waiting for Magic Tines - that was teased nearly a year ago. 

I had that happen. I searched and found the app like I hadn't yet owned it and bought it again on the iPhone and after you pay again it finds the previous purchase and downloads the app free.

FunMachine.

45 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I had that happen. I searched and found the app like I hadn't yet owned it and bought it again on the iPhone and after you pay again it finds the previous purchase and downloads the app free.

You should contact Apple for a refund.

On 8/21/2023 at 1:22 PM, Mondo Jim said:

Same. Just last month I used the old v machine for a rehearsal and it didn't miss a beat.  It's a great little addition to a live setup with samplelord and mtron when you want to get weird.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2023 at 6:22 AM, Mondo Jim said:

I had one I used in my live rig for a couple of years. Cheap, not much bigger than your hand, I velcroed it onto the inner side of a rack I was hauling. VB3 was fine for one-handed playing, but any more than 4 notes (which was all i needed at the time) and it choked. The cut down version of OP-X was preset only but sounded good, as did another synth I forget the name of. Eventually I got a Gemini module and sold it on, but it sounded great if you could manage with limited polyphony.

Recently picked up an iPad 9 so looking forward to loading it up with the new GSI apps

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

I took a long break from iOS stuff but after D6 was released for iPhone I fired up a few GSi apps again. I’ve only just noticed that Model D6 and some newer GSi apps don’t support background audio. VB3m and Genuine Sounds run in the background so wonder if an update will be released. Guido are you reading this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 12:46 PM, ChazKeys said:

I’ve only just noticed that Model D6 and some newer GSi apps don’t support background audio. 

I read that's true of Mini Orchestra, for another example. From what I read elsewhere, though, they work in background when accessed through a host (e.g. AUM, Keystage, Camelot). But if you're running just a few apps with the simple "brute force" method (e.g. each app on its own MIDI channel, and then played just by activating that MIDI channel on your keyboard), it looks like you're out of luck with these GSI apps.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On 2/28/2024 at 10:15 AM, Baldwin Funster said:

The D6 also doesn't support pitchbend in ios. No whammy clav possible. 

I have to correct myself. There is a switch to enable pitch bend on the D5. The range is fixed at whole step up, half step down. Oddly semi accurate to the hohner in that I've read that the bend range changes through the positions of the keyrange. I'd rather whole step in both directions for the app.

FunMachine.