Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DOMi & JD Beck

I used to follow these young kids. It's impressive at first but after a while I realized it's just too same every time. Maybe I'm getting old but I see some ridiculously talented kids such as Jacob Collier and Domi JD Beck, etc. who seem to just overdo everything and fill up the space-time continuum with overcomplicated chord changes (the former) or insane shredding (the latter) without any actual musical feel, just mind boggling intellectualism and virtuoso technique... That's just my opinion of course, they certainly have huge following.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Docbop said:

Guess it was one of their record companies that put them together with Anderson Paak,  I assume to make them more commercial.  

They were just signed to Paak's label.   When the label boss who just signed you says "I need you to gig with me" you don't say no.

https://www.nme.com/features/music-interviews/domi-jd-beck-interview-anderson-paak-radar-3247232

I don't go out of my way to look for young virtuoso players.  It's just that sometimes Youtube throws something my way that sticks.   YT probably thought I'd like this duo because I've been listening to a lot of Robert Glasper, and checking out some vids by Open Studio Jazz, Noah Kellman, Dillio, etc.

Their music reminds me of Weather Report, actually.  First time I heard the Black Market-Heavy Weather double album, I was blown away by the virtuosity, but my brain couldn't process the harmonic twists and turns.  I was confused by record reviews which described the music as "accessible".  "On what planet?" was my reaction.  Nowadays it sounds like the iconic fusion music that it is.

Of course the duo's set here includes a Weather Report cover (Hernandu).

52 minutes ago, AROIOS said:

Louis Cole is a similar young cat who's fun to watch.

Louis Cole is hell of a musician his composing, sound design, and playing.    There's a lot going on in his music when you dig into it. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

They were just signed to Paak's label.   When the label boss who just signed you says "I need you to gig with me" you don't say no.

https://www.nme.com/features/music-interviews/domi-jd-beck-interview-anderson-paak-radar-3247232

I don't go out of my way to look for young virtuoso players.  It's just that sometimes Youtube throws something my way that sticks.   YT probably thought I'd like this duo because I've been listening to a lot of Robert Glasper, and checking out some vids by Open Studio Jazz, Noah Kellman, Dillio, etc.

Their music reminds me of Weather Report, actually.  First time I heard the Black Market-Heavy Weather double album, I was blown away by the virtuosity, but my brain couldn't process the harmonic twists and turns.  I was confused by record reviews which described the music as "accessible".  "On what planet?" was my reaction.  Nowadays it sounds like the iconic fusion music that it is.

Of course the duo's set here includes a Weather Report cover (Hernandu).

Domi's early videos when she still a Berklee student are amazing.   I knew it wouldn't take long for her to get signed after she graduated a year or so ago. 

It's great that these talented young folks seemingly have a blast playing music at a high level. Will be interesting to see where they go with it. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

10 hours ago, CyberGene said:

I used to follow these young kids. It's impressive at first but after a while I realized it's just too same every time. Maybe I'm getting old but I see some ridiculously talented kids such as Jacob Collier and Domi JD Beck, etc. who seem to just overdo everything and fill up the space-time continuum with overcomplicated chord changes (the former) or insane shredding (the latter) without any actual musical feel, just mind boggling intellectualism and virtuoso technique... That's just my opinion of course, they certainly have huge following.

I'm 100% with you here... Too much technique for no reason IMO. Surely, these guys have superhuman skills but you need more than this to make music for people who are used to songs, structures and so on.

Maybe I am too old for this stuff...

• Like 2
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

11 minutes ago, yannis D said:

I'm 100% with you here... Too much technique for no reason IMO. Surely, these guys have superhuman skills but you need more than this to make music for people who are used to songs, structures and so on.

Maybe I am too old for this stuff...

Yes. It’s not for me either. But I’m happy that live music played by folks who don’t t just press ‘play’ and loop it has a following. Good luck to them. And hopefully they develop a sense of space and phrasing and find something to say.

• Like 3

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

7 minutes ago, niacin said:

Yes. It’s not for me either. But I’m happy that live music played by folks who don’t t just press ‘play’ and loop it has a following. Good luck to them. And hopefully they develop a sense of space and phrasing and find something to say.

Of course, I agree. I like kids who can play an actual instrument with such perfection. But I have to say that most interesting music in our days is usually coming from guys who don't really know theory or have any kind of instrumental chops, or very few. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yannis D said:

Of course, I agree. I like kids who can play an actual instrument with such perfection. But I have to say that most interesting music in our days is usually coming from guys who don't really know theory or have any kind of instrumental chops, or very few. 

Got to disagree Yannis. The non-theory, non-instrument types tend to layer up a few four-bar loops (repetitive, so boring) and then add some sound-design stuff on top. I'd much hear something that evolves, ebbs and flows, and takes me on a musical journey.

Cheers, Mike.

32 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

32 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

Got to disagree Yannis. The non-theory, non-instrument types tend to layer up a few four-bar loops (repetitive, so boring) and then add some sound-design stuff on top. I'd much hear something that evolves, ebbs and flows, and takes me on a musical journey.

Cheers, Mike.

Maybe i was over reacting, but you get my point. Theory and chops are welcomed (i myself have a classical piano degree fro École Normale de Musique in Paris so i can see your point) but sometimes it's good to go beyond these elements which are tools. 

It's a big discussion 🤣

Yannis

• Like 2

They're kids (relatively speaking) and have that youthful energy; you can't fault that! When you have prodigious chops so young, you see the effect it has on listeners (mostly younger folks like them) – how can that feedback not encourage them to continue? It's probably like a drug. Not to mention it's led to a record deal and gigs; more power to them.

Having said that, I will now enter the "opinions are like..." fray with my own observation: I'm old enough to remember my midi journey starting with a Roland MSQ-700 sequencer and a DX7, progressing to a Yamaha RX11 drum machine and on from there. Back then, I was focused on one thing: trying to make these machines sound more human. Listening to this stuff, I get the sense that I'm seeing the exact opposite: humans that are quantizing themselves in real time, trying to sound more like a gridded sequence. And for whatever reason, that makes me sad – but given the sound of "today's music", not particularly surprised.

And BTW, I don't put Jacob Collier in this camp, not at all - he has plenty of material that's purely acoustic, freely played, even folk-like. Of course he can "quantize" himself when he chooses, and knows the technology well but IMO has chops and taste in equal measure – maybe more in the taste category even.

• Like 1

Watching these two I always feel battered and bruised by the tyranny of youtube algorithms.  They're talented, but are they 1,000 times more talented than other Berklee grads trying to get attention?  Well, if you judge by the # of views, then arguably yes.  And anyone with that degree of YT notoriety will likely get product endorsements and collaborations with other "youtube stars," which creates more views.  I'm not saying they aren't good or don't deserve an audience, I'm only saying they make me very conscious of the distorting effect of the algorithm.  How many times do I need to listen to this and think "wow, they might evolve into something timeless and great"?  Once or twice was enough.

The frenetic energy is not for me, but their influences were very different than mine.  I just have to assume that it rubs some people the right way.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

41 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

They're kids (relatively speaking) and have that youthful energy; you can't fault that! When you have prodigious chops so young, you see the effect it has on listeners (mostly younger folks like them) 

Listening to this stuff, I get the sense that I'm seeing the exact opposite: humans that are quantizing themselves in real time, trying to sound more like a gridded sequence. And for whatever reason, that makes me sad – but given the sound of "today's music", not particularly surprised.

Agreed.  We have to keep in mind that younger musicians are like sponges.  They are absorbing whatever types of music they are listening to and using their talent to combine those influences.  Their peers are going along for the ride.

At some point in our own musical journey, we were no different from them.  The now antiquated technology of vinyl recordings and cassette tapes allowed us to binge and shed on all types of music.  Adding to our musical toolbox every lick and trick we could extract and play.  Jamming with other musicians and getting that azz kicked built up our chops.  Countless gigs and/or recording sessions refined our skills.

The blessing and curse of time as it relates to music and musicianship is when we reach that point of "been there, done that' or by extension, "seen and heard it already".

IMO, it's important for musicians to remain MOM (Musically Open Minded).  Once a musician loses that youthful sense of adventure and discovery and finds it harder to appreciate music regardless of how it's made...it might be time to find something else to do.  As musicians continue to incorporate different influences and flavors into *new* music, the audience will change too.  😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I grew up listening to Steely Dan, which was notorious for pushing its drummers closer and closer to drum machine like perfection, then actually used a very expensive, custom drum machine on Gaucho.

So I don't have a problem with jazz fusion acts that are super tight rhythmically, despite not using a drum machine for keeping time.  

Young musos who play with other humans will always have a leg up in their musical development on fellow young musos who only play solo, with/without drum machines.

• Like 1

I was happy to see Anderson .Paak scoop those two up. Anderson is a skilled producer (not to mention a phenomenal drummer in his own right), and may be able to direct their talent and energy in some interesting new ways.

B/Midiboard/VirusKC/Matrix12/EX5/Maschine

haha I really have to laugh (ironical) at posts like these...and if it was two old farts doing EXACTLY the same thing, they would barely rate a mention!

I was doing that stuff with a drummer back in the day when the only "bands" that could get work were duos in the city I was in. Not denigrating what these two are doing, but I do wonder what marketing machine is behind the promotion...I am SURE there are about 250 more duos doing the same thing (probably better) but cannot get a break...

Mebbe I am just getting more cynical in my old age :idk:

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

11 hours ago, miden said:

Not denigrating what these two are doing, but I do wonder what marketing machine is behind the promotion...I am SURE there are about 250 more duos doing the same thing (probably better) but cannot get a break...

That's correct.  The keyboard/drummer duo has been around for a while...

I believe DOMi & JD Beck will do well because they have a solid marketing and promotion machine behind them.😎

• Like 1

PD

I'm just halfway listening to the main video, but I want to say that I just bow to this level of musicianship. It's not only fast technique: It's deep harmonic knowledge, excellent interplay, etc. - joined with youthful energy and incredible precision. And she's playing the bass herself, not the only one to do that for sure, but doing it with such complex music is a big achievement. And they are having *fun* too! Also, it's nice to hear them in a proper concert environment rather than school reharsals.

Yes, there's some naivety in the arrangements, a bit exhibitionistic and not particularly articulated, and the solos themseves could be built in a more structured way. But even so, this music puts a smile on my face. They have the skills, and aren't shy about enjoying them. I much prefer this music to things like Jacob Collier, who seems always a bit too self-conscious about the image that he's projecting. These are musicians enjoying music, an art that's almost lost these days. Love Domi. 

• Like 4

I was looking for this the other day to post appears someone made it into a Youtube Short.      Domi with this and her Oscar Peterson practicing and I'm sure others is the living example of "Learn from the Past.. Play in  the Present"

• Like 1

I'm blown away by their performances, although I have to admit that I'm not moved. I listened to a lot of complicated fusion music years ago (e.g., Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Brand X, etc.) and loved it then (even played in a few fusion bands) but my tastes have changed and I'm no longer drawn to that style of music. It exhausts me. I remember seeing the videos of Domi playing Oscar and Countdown a little while back and thinking she's going to do well if she can find her own voice / sound. I think she's doing that and am happy the see the success that she that she and JD Beck are beginning to enjoy. From my perspective, if people are playing music and others are enjoying their music the world is a better place for it. 

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, do you think she learned those solos by ear or off a written transcription?  I've always thought learning a few choice solos like that would do wonders for my playing, but I am a slow reader and have never mustered the discipline to do this.

2 hours ago, SteinwayB said:

Out of curiosity, do you think she learned those solos by ear or off a written transcription?  I've always thought learning a few choice solos like that would do wonders for my playing, but I am a slow reader and have never mustered the discipline to do this.

I'm guessing she did the transcriptions herself and reading what she wrote. 

By ear. Learning solos from notation is no fun, anyway. I almost never even write down transcriptions myself. I try to learn the main, memorable licks, get them sounding organic, then fill in the blanks with my own improv, sorta like island hopping. Particularly when playing material originally done on other instruments, usually "connecting tissue" ends up not translating as well from instrument to instrument. So if I'm learning a jazz fiddle solo, I'll learn the hooks, and then do more pianistic stuff in-between.

Learning a solo note-for-note is boring and it usually sounds boring. Even classical musicians knew this and came up with their own cadenzas. It's fine to jot some things down to get them in your noggin, but make sure you aren't sitting glued to the page during performance.

• Like 1

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

6 hours ago, SteinwayB said:

Domi probably learned the solo the way a lot of pros do these days - a tool to slow down the audio, and "transcription" - which in the jazz world could mean literally writing down the notes on sheet music, or using the ear to find the notes on your instrument and memorizing the solo that way.   Either way, make sure you get the rhythm/groove down.    The iconic soloists started their solos at any point of a measure.  Peeps who do not pay as much attention to the rhythm/groove tend to always start on the first beat.

I resisted learning entire solos for a long time.  Then several pro musos convinced me by pointing out that learning a great solo will teach a lot about "storytelling" .   "Telling a story" is one of the Holy Grails to shoot for - at least if you want to get away from sounding like you're just running through technical exercises in your solos.  It seems tough to achieve without studying how great soloists told stories through their solos.

Open Studio put up this page (see link below) with 3 solos that you can try working with.   They're all by iconic players - Charlie Parker, Clifford Brown, and Wynton Kelly - and they're all in the jazz-blues form.  No notation is provided, so don't worry about your reading.   I've learned music by reading notes off of sheet music before, but I've found that learning by ear and working out the notes for yourself makes the music stick more in your head.

Use the Soundslice features to select sections of audio to loop, then slow down to a speed that is comfortable for you.   The biggest hurdle to overcome is patience.  It took me several weeks to learn the Sandu solo, but YMMV.  The video is worth watching too if you need more motivation.

https://www.openstudiojazz.com/the-easy-way?utm_source=youtube&utm_campaign=the easy way&utm_medium=referral

PS.  You should probably learn the head of each tune note for note, if you don't know it already.  And do it by ear, not by reading out of a Real Book or other notation.