Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kate Bush Finally Re-Discovered in the US

HammondDave

Amazing. 40 years later, it took an episode of “Stranger Things” for Generation Z to re-discover one of the greatest composer/musician/designer/choreographer/artist that we all discovered 40+ years ago in the late 70’s. She taught herself how to play piano and David Gilmore discovered her when she was 13, bringing her amazing artistry to light. She also was one of the first musicians to master the Fairlight CMI. 

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/07/1103445453/running-up-that-hill-kate-bush-stranger-things

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

My friend and I had gone to London on vacation, My buddy was in love with her, An Anglo-file type of guy and the heritage being Irish, English, Scotch himself - Bassplayer/writer.. a real R & R veteran..good musician. He was there trying to sell his own music in London also, we dropped off some CD's at Recording Companies. This was in the late 1980's and we hit the Marquee Club, all the sites, the museums...the Tower.. drank beer all day... the whole 9 yards... and one sloshed evening we drove into the foggy London suburban night over London Bridge to find Kate Bush's house..he knew the general neighborhood somehow...'he was in love'..

Once in her neighborhood we asked a group of  teenagers  hanging out in the street where she lived but they would not give up address, we were a bit drunk and laughing... probably thought we were there to rob her home of something - ugly Americans and all....Honestly, I don't know what he would have done if he found her house....This really was not a good idea, but it was fun ....He made me listen to 3 or 4 of her albums before we left on the trip...not totally my cup of tea but it is unique music and there was plenty of key work on the albums to keep me busy.... he explained some of the tunes to me and her writing and lyrics. 

She is very unique.... I love the 'Cloud Bursting' video  she did with Donald Sutherland about Wilhelm Reich and his 'Orgone' energy... I was well versed by then in her music and ideas.. a lot of the older Jazz musicians/artists in NYC BTW, the 80+ year olds - were also into W. Reich.  

as a side note ( and a big one on Reich/Bush and also why KB may have devised the song/vid)

Reich, beside the orgone energy also wrote - 'The Mass Psychology of Fascism' ...the De-Facto analysis for that stuff on how it starts because Reich left Germany to come to live in the US and wrote that  (need some insight now... just read the chapter titles in that one) 

Anyway.... she has a good head on her shoulder Kate ... beside her amazing music/vocals/writing/style.   

I would have liked to have meet her, she seems like my kind of person ...but not to get arrested for it... anyway we laughed all the way back to London about it, crying and laughing about the whole night!   

Sorry about the book HammondDave .... 

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I'd say reintroduced, not discovered. I was a teen in the 80s. She was a known quantity in my experience. (Thinking back... I had a Kate Bush poster on my freshman dorm wall!)

Thanks to the "Stranger Things" soundtrack for signal boosting this stuff. My 16 year-old, who would have otherwise piled it in with "OLD people music my mom and dad listen to... WHATEVER" is totally into it now.

What's next? Talking Heads? XTC?

• Like 1
I make software noises.

Maybe the UK will have a Laurie Anderson rediscovery?

10 minutes ago, johnchop said:

What's next? Talking Heads? XTC?

If not Talking Heads, we’ve certainly been in a period David Byrne renewal for a while. Maybe it started with his great album & tour with St Vincent and continued ascending with American Utopia. 

As the show moves into the later 80s, hopefully they skip the Glam/Hair Metal era.  Too much good 80s synth pop for the youngins' to rediscover and not be bogged down with the likes of Poison and Motley Crue 😜.

Just the other day, my neighbors daughter, 17 or so, was outside listening to Jack & Dianne and singing along,  I was joking with her that she was listening to the old folks music.  She was so into it.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

One of the many things with Kate that has simultaneously 1) earned her respect, regard and admiration from some, and 2) kept her from widespread popularity, is her career-spanning penchant for pushing boundaries and trying "odd" things. Consider her grand entrance, "Wuthering Heights". 

In 1978, the top 5 pop songs were:

Shadow Dancing - Andy Gibb

Night Fever - Bee Gees

You Light Up My Life - Debby Boone

Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees

Kiss You All Over - Exile

And Kate releases:

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, timwat said:

One of the many things with Kate that has simultaneously 1) earned her respect, regard and admiration from some, and 2) kept her from widespread popularity, is her career-spanning penchant for pushing boundaries and trying "odd" things. Consider her grand entrance, "Wuthering Heights". 

In 1978, the top 5 pop songs were:

Shadow Dancing - Andy Gibb

Night Fever - Bee Gees

You Light Up My Life - Debby Boone

Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees

Kiss You All Over - Exile

And Kate releases:

And No. 1 in Great Britain.  When you break this song down, its really quite amazing. Musically and lyrically.  There are so many Kate videos I love. She designs the costumes and lighting as well. What an awesome artist she is. Here is another…

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Just now, ProfD said:

Neo-Soul artist Maxwell covered Kate Bush's "This Woman's Work". 😎

Yes, and for me, the Kate version and her vid with Dave posted...oh my word. To speak to this profound human event in such a timeless yet fresh way...it doesn't get any better.

• Like 1

And for those who want to do a deep dive into early Kate… this is the only tour she ever did…. 1979

Interesting bit of trivia… this short tour featured Kate wearing the first wireless microphone (made out of coat-hangers).

Love YouTube… just found this interesting short documentary about the tour above… what an amazingly honest young woman (21)… great studio rehearsal footage…

• Like 3

Pretty crazy how modern media (movies, shows, memes, whatever) can cause older songs to pop back up.   Guardians of the Galaxy is a good example of this.   I love it because I can suggest older tunes that I grew up with and people today might actually know them :)

I have Hounds of Love, I haven't listened to it for quite a while.  I first heard Kate Bush on a few Peter Gabriel songs.  Though, after I saw live (and watched vids) of Paula Cole doing those parts along with other female parts on the Secret World tour... Paula Cole absolutely stole that show, she got a massive ovation at the end.  A completely different vocal style, which is a good thing...there's room for both!

• Like 1

A quickie upload to YouTube - this is my trio from around 1995 doing Running Up That Hill. A female vocalist, a drummer, and then me covering all the music. 

• Like 3

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I discovered Kate via "The Dreaming," so there's been no re-anything for me. My playlists always seem to include her. She stands on her own, certainly, but I've always liked comparisons between her and Peter Gabriel. Different artists, not cut from the same cloth, but culturally adjacent for sure. She's one of my favorite power-musicians.

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

5 hours ago, timwat said:

Yes, and for me, the Kate version and her vid with Dave posted...oh my word. To speak to this profound human event in such a timeless yet fresh way...it doesn't get any better.

Another absolute gem from her later catalog is 'Moments of Pleasure'. Great song, lousy video.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

1 hour ago, David Emm said:

I discovered Kate via "The Dreaming," so there's been no re-anything for me. My playlists always seem to include her. She stands on her own, certainly, but I've always liked comparisons between her and Peter Gabriel. Different artists, not cut from the same cloth, but culturally adjacent for sure. She's one of my favorite power-musicians.

Speaking of Peter Gabriel…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

oh boy, that Babooshka vid had all the boys going in the day haha!  Great song too, excellently delivered.

• Like 1

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Here is Kate performing Running Up That Hill live with David Gilmore.  There are a few interesting moments here… I love the way Kate’ and David’ exchange smiles. It shows the long history of friendship that these two have. David’ discovered Kate’ when she was 16. He produced her demo tape, and convinced EMI records to sign her. Also, the Bass Player‘s hair is ridiculous. However, he plays an amazing baseline throughout the song. Finally, I really like the sound and tone of David’s guitar playing that synthesizer part that is originally played in the song. Great performance.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, miden said:

oh boy, that Babooshka vid had all the boys going in the day haha!  Great song too, excellently delivered.

Lol. I can date the beginning of puberty to seeing that video on an classic Australian TV show called Countdown for the first time. I was 10 years old, her voice was (and still is) the most sensual and seductive I've ever heard, though the faux chainmail bikini may have had something to do with it 😍

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

She has an... hummmm... exotic voice. In Brazil we have an expression, "voz de taquara rachada", "cracked cane voice" in a literal translation, but I think the equivalent english expression is "screechy voice". Now, I do not mean this in the derrogatory way, quite the opposite. Her voice was the opposite of what I think was the acceptable standard at the time and, despite that, she succeeded. The first time I heard "To be human" by Sia I immediately thought of Kate, because Sia's voice deviates of the "standard" (though not as extreme as Kate's). Nowadays it is becaming more common singers with out-of-the-standard voices, but in the seventies/eighties, IMO she was bold. I hope the above makes some sense.

Now I need to find and dust my "The red shoes" CD. 😃

4 hours ago, EVC said:

She has an... hummmm... exotic voice. In Brazil we have an expression, "voz de taquara rachada", "cracked cane voice" in a literal translation, but I think the equivalent english expression is "screechy voice". Now, I do not mean this in the derrogatory way, quite the opposite. Her voice was the opposite of what I think was the acceptable standard at the time and, despite that, she succeeded. The first time I heard "To be human" by Sia I immediately thought of Kate, because Sia's voice deviates of the "standard" (though not as extreme as Kate's). Nowadays it is becaming more common singers with out-of-the-standard voices, but in the seventies/eighties, IMO she was bold. I hope the above makes some sense.

Now I need to find and dust my "The red shoes" CD. 😃

Very interesting comment.  The bottom line to the quality of a voice is: “Is it musical?”   In Kate’s case… ABSOLUTELY!

Found this cool photo of Kate with the Fairlight.  She was one of the first musical artist to use it in recording. Its heavily featured on her third and fourth albums. 

Kate and Fairlight.jpg

On 6/10/2022 at 9:08 PM, HammondDave said:

Speaking of Peter Gabriel…

I love Richard Tee's gospel organ in this song.

7 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

I love Richard Tee's gospel organ in this song.

...and Piano!