Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How many 88s?

How many 88s?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How many 88 key instruments do you own?

• 6+

Just a fun question as I ponder my instrument needs.  I have only ever at most owned 3 full-sized piano keyboard instruments:

-A piano-replacement board for practicing/playing at home. It was my main gigging board as well until I augmented with:
-A light weight digital board primarily for gigging. No more struggling with moving 50+ pounds of keyboard + case
-A grand piano in my teaching studio (sadly now on long-term loan to a friend's recording studio until I have an adequate space for it again)

In my dream world I'd have 3 different 88 key digital instruments: one that stays home for pianistic practice, one that's a light weight controller with adequate sounds that I can easily take to and from gigs without having to break my back, and one that combines more stage piano features and sounds with a high quality action. Maybe it comes out to some gigs where it feels worth it.

But, I really don't have adequate space to be storing extra boards for different needs. So, at the moment, it's a single digital board at home and my real piano in storage.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out the Numa X 88... That is my primary studio 88.... and its light enough to take on a gig (30 lbs). Check out the thread in the forum. Hard to beat the price ($1500) for a quality weighted keyboard with great AP, EP, and many other sounds!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

too many - k2600xs, cp4, pxs3000, kawai mp4, quadrasynth plus...and my old trusty Baldwin Hamilton upright. 

it's just a consequence of my bad cat lady tendencies to move old boards into the garage rather than go through the hassle of selling them.

Way too many, I need to sell most of these. I think I'm remembering them all...

Casio: PX-310, PX-320, PX-500L, PX-5S, PX-560

Kawai: MP7

Kurzweil: KA90

Numa: Compact, Compact 2, Compact 2X

Roland: FP2, RS9

Yamaha: MOX8, MOXF8

and an old Studiologic/Fatar controller whose model number I don't remember... but it was the first "lightweight" (by the standards of the time) really nice feeling 88 I ever had, and was nicely built into its own road case. The only thing I didn't like was that the trigger point felt like it was too--something--I don't remember, too high or too low. I opened the top and saw it was easily adjustable, and then it was perfect!

Oh, and my actual grand piano!

In some cases, what happens is, I buy the new thing figuring I'll sell the old thing, and then I don't get around to selling the old thing and it just sits in the basement. Look for a Garage Sale listing, coming soon to your local web browser!

Of the main list... Kawai is the best overall,  though also the heaviest. Kurzweil is the lightest with loud enough speakers to do solo/duo/cocktail stuff, but you'd need to attach an iPad or something to have sounds that won't make you wretch. FP2 is the lightest with loud enough speakers with decent enough built-in sounds. The Yamahas are the most capable overall. The RS9 has one of the best non-hammer actions for piano (it may be the lightest 88 I've ever played that would be satisfying for piano, better than the Numas, which are the lightest overall). The Casios have been the only ones other than the Yamahsa that I ever really gigged with... the combination of action, sound and/or features, and travel weight just always seems to hit a sweet spot for me.

ETA: also a Kross 88...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I would have titled the thread, "how many hammer actions," because for some of us a 73 is as good (or better) than an 88.

I am in the camp of folks who like to have a lightweight hammer action for portability but a more quality one for when you have the luxury of time and want a really good action, e.g., for some solo gigs.  

I recently got a Nord NP573 and am quite happy with it.  Sort of bridges the gap between portable and high quality.  I'd like to have a Kawai MP11 for practicing at home -- maybe someday -- but the difference over the Nord would be pretty incremental from my standpoint.

Definitely want to add an acoustic piano, just haven't gotten around to it yet.  BluMunk, I would have taken your grand on loan if I'd known!  We still need to get together for a beer.  I'm 45 minutes away but with young children, that distance can seem prohibitive.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

29 minutes ago, Adan said:

I would have titled the thread, "how many hammer actions," because for some of us a 73 is as good (or better) than an 88.

All different questions, I guess. From my list, you can see I have some 88s that do not have hammer actions, but yes, similarly, I have some 7x boards that do have hammer actions. (Korg SV1, Dexibell P3.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I currently have 4* 88s

-Kurzweil PC4: my primary gigging board at the moment

-Yamaha MOXF8: the weighted keyboard that stays in the studio for recording

-Numa Compact 2X: the unweighted (or maybe they call it semiweighted) board that stays in the studio for recording

-Casio PX320: this one is pretty beat up and doesn't really get used much anymore...my niece and nephew mess around on it occasionally

My goal was always to have 4 keyboards total: a weighted and unweighted/semiweighted to gig with...and another pair for the studio...to eliminate having to drag boards back and forth, up and down a flight of stairs, and unpacked over and over...

*I actually voted that I have 3 88-key boards, because I just recently agreed to sell the MOXF8 to a friend for church duties.  I'll use the PX320 as my weighted studio controller for the short-term (haven't been doing much recording lately anyway)...Eventually, I'll probably replace it with either a MODX/Montage or maybe a Nautilus/Kronos.  Even though I do use plugins, I've always liked having access to the soundsets from all the big keyboard manufacturers (have Kurzweil and Roland covered with the gigging boards).

One thing I don't collect is 88s. When I get a new one I sell the old one. My first was a PC88MX in the 90s and then a PC2X/O in the early 2000s. I've been happy with the PX-5S for the last several years. 76 keys is more than adequate for the small amount of piano most of my gigs require.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

13 minutes ago, Shamanzarek said:

76 keys is more than adequate for the small amount of piano most of my gigs require

73/76 keys is more than adequate for the medium amount of piano most of my gigs require.  I don't need splits, and I basically never have a need for the far extremities of the 88 range, for playing popular music -- rock, soul, funk, R&B, etc. 

I don't really need 88 either, but I do like weighted hammer action, and I hope to get 73 soon. 

At home I love my Korg Havian. The arranger with chord sequencer is a great practice tool for me. Spent a good 30 minuets jamming over a minor ii V i in Eb  over a bossa nova groove this morning. Nice way to start the day! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npVFeoEjV5k

1 hour ago, Morrissey said:

73/76 keys is more than adequate for the medium amount of piano most of my gigs require.  I don't need splits, and I basically never have a need for the far extremities of the 88 range, for playing popular music -- rock, soul, funk, R&B, etc. 

Agree.  But the form-factor of the specific boards plays a big role in that decision for me too.  The 88s that I have gigged (PC4 and MOXF) have the pitch and mod above the keys, so they're no wider than the 76 key synth-action boards that I play on the second tier...so, unless I were to downsize the upper board to a 61 key, or alternatively find a 76 key synth-action board with pitch and mod above the keys...I wouldn't really gain much moving to a 76-key bottom board

4 hours ago, Dave Ferris said:

Now four - Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand, CP88 and P515. It was five before I sold the CP4 to Bobby Cressey on Monday.

I'm good, except maybe a Fazioli 212 or 228 for in the living room in place of the AG. :)

Sold CP4? How could this happen? 

P-515, PC4-7

1 hour ago, Sean M. H. said:

so, unless I were to downsize the upper board to a 61 key, or alternatively find a 76 key synth-action board with pitch and mod above the keys...I wouldn't really gain much moving to a 76-key bottom board

That makes sense.  All the 73/76 boards I know with pitch/mod above the keys have weighted action.

4 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

That makes sense.  All the 73/76 boards I know with pitch/mod above the keys have weighted action.

There are a few exceptions I can think of.  The Yamaha S70XS, Ensoniq KS-32/TS12/MR-76/ZR-76/KT-76, and Korg Kronos 73 are all weighted action 73/76 key boards with the pitch bend and mod wheels/sticks/paddles beside the keys.  The Kurzweil PC4-7, Yamaha MODX7, Nord Stage Compact (all of them) and some older Studiologic controllers (SL-760) have semi-weighted keys and have the pitch bend and mod wheels/sticks/paddles above the keys.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

4 minutes ago, GotKeys said:

There are a few exceptions I can think of.  The Yamaha S70XS, Ensoniq KS-32/TS12/MR-76/ZR-76/KT-76, and Korg Kronos 73 are all weighted action 73/76 key boards with the pitch bend and mod wheels/sticks/paddles beside the keys.  The Kurzweil PC4-7, Yamaha MODX7, Nord Stage Compact (all of them) and some older Studiologic controllers (SL-760) have semi-weighted keys and have the pitch bend and mod wheels/sticks/paddles above the keys.

Yeah... I was imprecise.  By "weighted" I meant "non-synth-action," including semi-weighted.  Can't think of any boards that are 73/76 unweighted synth action with pitch bend/mod above the keys. 

16 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

Yeah... I was imprecise.  By "weighted" I meant "non-synth-action," including semi-weighted.  Can't think of any boards that are 73/76 unweighted synth action with pitch bend/mod above the keys. 

Not current production, but the Alesis QS7 also comes to mind.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

49 minutes ago, Dave Ferris said:

You know I just wasn't playing it. It was sitting in the closet. Between the other three DPs I have,  it just wasn't anywhere near as much fun to play at home.

Its best function was on a gig, and I'm not doing many of those so really no reason to hold onto it. 

So for the few gigs you're still doing, what will you use? Are you sticking with the CP88 that you had been looking to sell?

17 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

Can't think of any boards that are 73/76 unweighted synth action with pitch bend/mod above the keys. 

Boy, I have a hard time thinking of any boards that are 73/76 that HAVE unweighted synth actions these days. Juno DS76, Fantom-07 come to mind. (And yes, they're longer, with the controls to the left.)

I own three.

Roland RD-1000

Korg Trinity Pro-X

Korg 01/W Pro-X

Used to own:

Korg Kross 88 (!st generation), had it for about a year from 2019-2020, traded for a pair of Event TR8 monitors.

GEM Pro-1, had it for about six months in 2013-14, traded towards an original Alesis Quadrasynth, as the Pro-1 would keep freezing up on me when playing.

Kurzweil MIDIBoard, had it from 2006 till 2007, traded for an M-Audio Keystation 88ES because I needed something to play my live laptop rig, and the MIDIBoard was four times as heavy as the Keystation, and like the aforementioned Pro-1, it would freeze up on me constantly.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

51 minutes ago, GotKeys said:

Yeah I actually have considered swapping my PC4 for a PC4-7....and then getting a weighted 73/76 key bottom board (that also has pitch and mod above the keys)...that would shave 5" or so off my stage footprint (and be easier to carry)...

...however, I got the my PC4 (88) about a year ago, and I've had my Fantom-07 for a month or so...at a certain point, it becomes a never-ending rabbit hole with trying to find the perfect rig...think I'll ride with what I've got for the foreseeable future.

My minimalism will only allow me to have one 88 note KB at a time. 

Sold my beloved SV-1 when the real Rhodes showed up. 😁😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

10 minutes ago, Dave Ferris said:

But like I said in the other thread about the P121, if the CP88 does sell, I'd most likely buy a P-125 for a lightweight board.

To be truthful though, I'd like to hold onto the CP88, it sounds great playing it with the Senn HD650s.  Every time I play it, I hit on a new melody or line to write down...so that tells me it is inspiring in that sense.

I guess 73 keys is out of the question? Because the CP73 would give you the CP88 sounds with something close to the P125's travel weight and action.

Three 88’s:

Nord Stage 3 88 (daily use & gigs)

Roland A 80 (controller for rack modules at home)

Korg 01/W ProX (kept for sentimental reasons)

A few 76’s:

Roland A 70

Two Roland JX 10’s

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Hmmm too many but there are always reasons...heres mine. Sorry im a story teller and ramble on. Tough.

1. My deceased dad's Yamaha G1 piano acquired used by him when I was in my early days of bands. Has Sentimental value to me and I love playing it. Although since quiting the band i have stopped playing much at home as ive lost the hutspar.

What i love is it plays well & also that the cabinet is cosmetically knocked around showing its Aussie performing history (still solid). It came from Redfern RSL which was the premier venue in Sydney in the day for all international stars in the 60s & 70s..think Jerry Lee and his ilk. I love its "work for a living" battle scars that make me think of who may have played it. Such real Patina that matches my rough patina'd head.

Due to trying to "save the ranch" it might have to be sold to help save our house.  A smaller house is anticipated if we cant "save the ranch" so no room possibly for a baby grand & I couldnt bare to pay another expensive moving cost after paying to move it once in Sydney from dads place to mine then from Sydney to Melbourne 7 years ago. Sad but dad would understand.

2. KAWAI MP9500 bought used a few years ago in anticipation of the possiblity of loosing the Yamaha G1. I needed something with wooden keys that could be self transported in my wagon if we moved house. Its a nice action.

3. Casio Privia PX330 bought new to gig with (have been impressed with the feel even if the short sustain on piano sounds shit me). My gigging board from when I was allowed to gig. Draconian Dan's Melbourne (Australia) lockdown mandates mean Im not allowed to perform in a venue. This then siphons down to a bands criteria for joining them. It may be the end of my gigging days thanks Dan.

4. 2nd Casio PX330 a cheap parts purchase as its non working and damaged cosmetically from a possible heavy disaster on one end. Bought as parts if any needed for my gigging board (never needed my Privia is bullet proof)  Alternative idea was to cut it down into a 73 / 76 (depending on where the run of keys divide) to save weight due to my health restrictions on lugging. If cutting down worked id transfer the needed parts from my first board. Ive estimated the weight saving may not be enough (10kg from uts 11kg) so may condider a Numa Cocal 2x (around 7kg) instead if i ever gig again.

5. Oberheim 2000EX controller bought used as i had always been keen on them. But too heavy to gig with for me. Comes with the EX sound card installed. My wife is using this in lounge room to teach her grandkids which stalled 2 years ago due to mandates.

6. Roland A80 bought used when affordable as this was the ultimate want in those early days. May have to let go to "Save the ranch" but a final unpacking of my studio after storage since moving here 7 years ago may see this set back up as the master soon.

7. GEM prp800. Used and advertised cheaply with a few bum keys i thought an easy peasy contact cleanup to fix this up for my wifes grandkids. 

Got to sellers place and he pulled it out but the keys were obviously well worn in the fulcrums and pins and many didnt even play.  Its was possible they would be unfixable without new fulcrum pins or what ever method they use.

Was ex church board which means played to death. But the church's volunteer seller to his lovelyness who hadnt tested it said have it FREE as the church will throw it away. I thought thats nice of him so i took it to save it from the tip.

May have regretted it as now im thinking do i want to pull it apart to find worn fulcrum pins and keyholes. Im trying to make space in my garage to have an area i can leave projects like this and the casio opened for a length of time while repairing

This is my Tome. Copies of this speach can be obtained in the foyer.

Way too many...and most have issues. Can't really sell them easily since there's seems to be some little thing wrong with a few of them, or they're too heavy to ship, and shipping costs might be more than they're worth. 

But since you asked... 11. And one on order (PC4SE). And thank goodness we have a large living room, because we have 2 baby grands. My wife's old Steinway and a Yamaha, that used to be the house piano at the Palomino Club.