Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Gary Brooker of Procol Harum

They were the first band I ever saw live. A Salty Dog is such a great song... and what a voice he had! And still had, many decades later. Nice to hear the organ up front in the mix where it belongs, too! 

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

OH NO!!!  Really sad news for me.

I've been a big fan for decades, but finally got to see Procol Harum 3 years ago in Boston. It was truly one of the best concerts I've ever been to... and I've been to hundreds. Gary could belt out the songs just like the old days.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

One of the great voices in prog rock... all rock, for that matter. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

One of the greatest writers and vocalists in rock, period. I saw them shortly after the Edmonton Symphony album was released – amazing show. Two or three of my early bands played at least ten of his/their tunes – the last was No More Fear Of Flying (excellent Wurlitzer hook). 

My all time favourite rendition of A Salty Dog is this one. I've put it up on KC more than once. Here it is one last time.

Rest In Peace, Gary Brooker. 

• Like 3

Here for the gear.

“Gary’s voice and piano were the single defining constant of Procol’s fifty-year international concert career.

Without any stage antics or other gimmicks he was invariably the most watchable musician in the show,” the statement ** says.

** From the band, per their news release

Amen to those statements.

I do believe that I "turned a whiter shade" upon hearing this sad, sad news...

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Well...crap. Sad news. How many can say they sang one of the most iconic vocals of the 20th Century. Hat's off to him.

Saw Procol Harum in '69. Opening act...Led Zeppelin. A night I'll never forget.

Procol Harum blew the doors off the joint.

Vaya con Dios, Sñr Brooker. 

He opened our local hall in Alfold in the 1980's and we have rehearsed there several times.
He will be sadly missed, great member of the local community 😢

• Like 1
Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

I saw him him a couple of years ago in Atlanta at the City Winery. Still in good voice. The magic was there. His is so classically British, and he had an acerbic wit as he made a comment about being in the Bible Belt. His voice seems to express the entire history of England. Such a naturally graceful and refined person. I know of none other like him in music. The keyboardist covered the gig with a B3 and a Montage 8. 

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

23 hours ago, drawback said:

My all time favourite rendition of A Salty Dog is this one.

I love that song, and that's a cool arrangement... but that piano sound doesn't do it justice!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I just realized that I did see him live once, with Ringo's All-Starr Band. Mid to late 90's, and his voice was still great. I wanted to see Procol Harum when they came through the Berkeley/Oakland area a few years ago, but had a conflict with the date. Novum wasn't my favorite record, but I was glad to see them do something new. I discovered them via the Edmonton Symphony accompanied concert and probably "A Salty Dog" remains my favorite.

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager