Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

76 keys controller with joystick (or, I bought too early...)

So… After I sold my JV-1080 I`ve decided to get a FA-06 to maintain the same waveforms in a more modern board…, I`m very used to program Roland synths and, excluding the bad keybed action, I like the FA very much.

Now I need another controller to substitute my CP-33… I`m definitely focusing on synth playing and will retire the old & hard action from Yamaha`s controller fir a while, but trying to find a decent action on a controller with 76 keys and joystick (don`t need wheels on it) its hard… specially after I`ve tested the FA-07 and felt the much better action compared to the FA-06.

The quickest way to solve this would be selling the FA-06 and getting a new FA-07, but that would will cost me much on today`s market value, so I`m still trying to find a solution…

Is this the search for the holy grail? Should I give up?

Tks!

2 minutes ago, dalpozlead said:

So… After I sold my JV-1080 I`ve decided to get a FA-06 to maintain the same waveforms in a more modern board…, I`m very used to program Roland synths and, excluding the bad keybed action, I like the FA very much.

Now I need another controller to substitute my CP-33… I`m definitely focusing on synth playing and will retire the old & hard action from Yamaha`s controller fir a while, but trying to find a decent action on a controller with 76 keys and joystick (don`t need wheels on it) its hard… specially after I`ve tested the FA-07 and felt the much better action compared to the FA-06.

The quickest way to solve this would be selling the FA-06 and getting a new FA-07, but that would will cost me much on today`s market value, so I`m still trying to find a solution…

Is this the search for the holy grail? Should I give up?

Tks!

Maybe look around for a dedicated hardware controller from the 80s/90s like a Yamaha KX76 or Roland A70 or pick up an older 76 key workstation (like a Roland JV1000 or a Korg X2)- any of those options will run you between $300-$600.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

I'll second the idea of maybe getting a hold of a late 80's-early 90's synth/workstation with 76 keys.  For Korg, an X3 or an 01/W Pro would work.  For Roland, maybe a D-70, JV-1000 or JV-90--Just beware of the infamous "red glue" issue with the keybeds on the Roland's.

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

TR-76 and M50-73 have the added feature of USB MIDI if the OP ever wants to use them for softsynths, however they may be a bit more pricey than the $300-600 range mentioned above.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I believe the DS76 action may be an unweighted version of the semi-weighted action in the FA-07 (the Fatar TP/9 which I think Roland is using here is available either way). Should still be better than what's in the 61s, though.

I like the DS overall. It's not really a subset of the FA as some people assume, it really has a very different feature and sound set, each can do some things better than the other.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Don't get a TR76 the keybed Sucks The Triton extreme 76 has a nice key bed in it  but good luck finding one.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

A Triton Studio 76 (or regular Triton 76) would be excellent as well. Great keybeds.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

1 hour ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

A Triton Studio 76 (or regular Triton 76) would be excellent as well. Great keybeds.

On this note, the trinity's keybed is also fantastic (might be the same as the triton's), and they usually come up pretty cheap and have a really good and unique soundset, plus you get to own a piece synth history with the first synth to have a touchscreen (aside from the fairlight, but that even used a pen, not your finger)

• Like 1

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

Those keybeds were made by Yamaha, then Korg got the stupid ideal they could make their own. Wonder if they think they're as good or better LOL.

18 minutes ago, Throbert said:

Those keybeds were made by Yamaha, then Korg got the stupid ideal they could make their own. Wonder if they think they're as good or better LOL.

I haven't played Korg's semi-weighted 'home-made' keybeds, only the RH3, but I've heard that the keybed on the Kronos 61, Nautilus 61 & 73, and on the M3 61 & 73 are very good, but the keybeds on their cheaper keyboards (Kross, Krome, and M50) I've heard are cheap feeling and hinged right at the end of the key.

1 hour ago, Throbert said:

They used Yamaha actions because, at the time, they were part owned by Yamaha. Those actions may well have been unavailable to them once they were on their own again. Though Korg does have some high quality actions. As mentioned, the M3/Kronos semi-weighted actions are well-liked, as is the Kronos LS88 action and the Vox Continental action. The actions on a lot of the budget stuff doesn't compare (e.g. Kross, KingKorg, lower end PA), but they didn't make cheap stuff with the Yamaha action, either.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm just talking about unweighted  and semiweighted  boards, I've always liked Yamahas keybeds, I didn't know my Trinity was theirs at the time though. As far as weighted, I kind of liked my CP 80 although it was a real piano action, liked my GEM Pro II especially losing all that weight and have settled  on Kawi I only use theirs as a controller so I could do with out the speakers amp and sound engine they have a weighted controller but it's too heavy I guess cause they over built the action and/or the case. I like Yamahas acoustic more than Kawis though.

I agree with GotKeys about the Korg M3-61 and M3-73. I had a M3-73 for several years (replaced my red Karma) and loved the Key action. One of the best out there I thought. Plus it has aftertouch as well. Another plus in my book!

• Like 1

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I held on to my TR61 for a long time, partly out of joystick luv. The keyboard was fine for synth or chordal things, but it was too mushy for precise piano and organ work. There was a nice grey area with EPs, IMO. Be aware that the USB is v 1.0, but always performed well. If you find a Korg in nice shape, make sure its not a budget model. The Triton felt like a more solidified Trinity in terms of its OS, so keep that in mind. I believe the Trinity touchscreen suffered from lagging that didn't plague the Triton. Players of it are welcome to correct my faulty memory.

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty
 and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life- so I became a scientist.

This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
      ~ Matt Cartmill

As an owner of a Trinity Pro-X, I can confirm that the OS is very slow and laggy.

Hardware

Software

Correct.  Playing is fine, moving around the OS is laggy.

Hardware

Software

Kronos 61 had the "my opinion" bestest smoothest keyboard I've ever touched. Gorgeous. Quite miss it!

But, as said above the Trinity/Triton Studio/Extreme have that really nice Yamaha FS(R?) keybed. Still have a 76 Triton that comes out now and again.

The Arturia Keylab II 61 has a couple of sharp edges on it playing certain things that only ever come to light after a few gigs, but it's a lovely action front to back.

23 minutes ago, Adam Burgess said:

Kronos 61 had the "my opinion" bestest smoothest keyboard I've ever touched. Gorgeous. Quite miss it!

But, as said above the Trinity/Triton Studio/Extreme have that really nice Yamaha FS(R?) keybed. Still have a 76 Triton that comes out now and again.

The Arturia Keylab II 61 has a couple of sharp edges on it playing certain things that only ever come to light after a few gigs, but it's a lovely action front to back.

+1 on the Kronos & Keylab, adding they both have lots of controllers and 9 sliders which is an absolute must have. I’d give the Kronos 61 the edge having the sliders on the left side, and obviously onboard sounds when needed.

Here for the gear.

One advantage the current Korg non-hammer actions have over the older Yamaha-manufactured Korg actions is that the keys are full width.

On 2/21/2022 at 9:45 AM, dalpozlead said:

I see some local deals for a Juno DS 76...

IMO, best choice as an alternative to the FA and for someone familiar with the JV soundset. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

tks for so many replies!

I confess I'm a little obsessed with the topic, and after many searches I think the only "perfect" board that mixes good keybed, controllers and size is the old Roland A-50.

Haven't played one but from reviews and photos I think this is the one... of course this is very very hard to find..., so Ill have to live with my current setup until I have a more robust budget to grab a newer board (like Nautilus for example)...

Yes, A-50 is hard to find. I'll be selling mine, but I think their value is such that it may not save you $ compared to your "too pricey" option of selling the FA-06 and buying an FA-07. OTOH, it's in some ways really a different class of board, if it's what you're really looking for. If you're in the New York area, you could come by and check it out, though.

I've never seen the A50 in Brazil.. good luck.

Made in Brazil store in Moema has a really nice Roland Show Room now - was there early January.  I thought I saw a DS there last time on display.   

3a8e1a72-37f7-4beb-bae1-1821ac6d3bc4.thumb.jpg.88b342c31452f68366497dd4da972fc2.jpg

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760