Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

....annnnnd we're back...

On 2/25/2022 at 1:48 PM, AnotherScott said:

I miss that the search doesn't include a filter for author anymore. That made it simpler to find something I'd posted in the past, or something where I remember who it was who said it. 

Lookee what I found! After you do a Search, there is a box for Search Options. Click that, and there's an option to Search by Author. So if you want to find a particular person's posts about something (your own, or some other member's), you can do it by FIRST searching for the content alone, and then taking those next steps to filter the results to a specific author.

• Thanks 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

This was displayed at the bottom of the forum table of contents. Does the lettering on the left look 3D to you? The white letters appear in the foreground while the orange are back about 3/16ths of an inch. Yet the square Shop Now and Kraft Music on the right appear flush with the black background. This, when viewed on my iPad Pro.

image.thumb.png.1b3defa197534c1fa5a280f46cf308a3.png

• 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone else noticed it but when I navigate back using the browser “back” button, the previous page always starts to reload instead of just opening the cached version where it last was, and thus also freezes for a moment after which it jumps to some other position which makes it pretty awkward to navigate back and forth. No other website or forum does that. I’m not an HTML expert but I imagine something on the main thread list page instructs the browser not to cache it. And so the browser reloads every page even when navigating back. I think this is erroneous and shouldn’t happen. 

On 4/13/2022 at 11:59 AM, CyberGene said:

Not sure if anyone else noticed it but when I navigate back using the browser “back” button, the previous page always starts to reload instead of just opening the cached version where it last was, and thus also freezes for a moment after which it jumps to some other position which makes it pretty awkward to navigate back and forth. No other website or forum does that. I’m not an HTML expert but I imagine something on the main thread list page instructs the browser not to cache it. And so the browser reloads every page even when navigating back. I think this is erroneous and shouldn’t happen. 

I believe there's an answer to that, but i forget exactly what it is.  :hider:

IIRC, it may have to do with the Themes and the way the banners interact with them. Which theme are you using?  Same result with al of them for you?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

48 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

it may have to do with the Themes and tre way the banners interact with them. Which theme are you using?  Same result with al of them for you?

I was on "default" but just tested with all of them, still the same. I'm on Safari for either Mac or iPhone, if that matters. It's easy to reproduce: open the forum, then open some thread, then press the back button of the browser. Usually this should be an instantaneous action (browser keeps it cached) and that previous page should be scrolled to where it was last. Here the browser starts loading the page which takes 1-2 seconds after which it scrolls to the top. I guess it might be a "feature" which is intended to help with seeing which threads you visited because reloading will un-bold the just visited thread-title. But it's a bit awkward for navigation because it scrolls to the top and I lose visual indication of where I was, maybe near the bottom... I think it might be some simple configuration setting.

• Like 1

I'll make sure Jim sees it.  You're probably right - just some config thing.  The way we're serving the ads right now is a bit odd though, so that may be part of the problem.

Thanks, Gene.

dB

• Like 1

I am using the soft blue theme and there are some contrast issues.

image.thumb.png.b2ce65a59dd245a2940a35c6f72e0029.png

image.png.7eeba995430b7cda045a975b2aad2a97.png

image.png.091c6cac26c0612a49ea07bc1319bd4e.png

Nothing that bothers me too much but I thought I should report.

BTW, nice feature of the forum software, good integration with Windows screen capture function, I just marked the capture and it automatically uploaded the images. I am using Chrome, so I am not entirely sure it has to do with Chrome or the forum SW, but nice anyway.

Almost three months in and I'm still having a hard time unlearning to log in with my user name...sheer force of habit after 16+ years...

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

8 hours ago, Morrissey said:

What's up with the badges in the bottom left of our avatars?  These are new, correct?

They're new... I'm wondering what this "rank" thing is, and what it has to do with anything?

Here for the gear.

On this platform, that's how the whole Bronze/Silver/Gold member status seems to be reflected.  At least, that's the best I've been able to get it to do so far...but it ain't quite doing what I want.

I switched it back off.

dB

• Like 1

One thing that has really improved on the new site is the way it keeps track of where you left off when last reading a thread. On the old site, it would often lose track and reset back to the 1st post of the 1st page which was kind of a PITA on some of the long zombie threads.

• Like 3

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 6:35 PM, Dave Bryce said:

On this platform, that's how the whole Bronze/Silver/Gold member status seems to be reflected.  At least, that's the best I've been able to get it to do so far...but it ain't quite doing what I want.

I switched it back off.

dB

Minimalist is better. Even with just the admin/mod trophies and badges it’s beginning to look like a circus around here… can’t words suffice? :hider:

Here for the gear.

9 minutes ago, drawback said:

Minimalist is better. Even with just the admin/mod trophies and badges it’s beginning to look like a circus around here… can’t words suffice? :hider:

It is switched off.  For some reason, it’s still on in the Soft Blue theme. 

I’ll figure it out.  There’s a whole lot to get a handle on with this new platform, and I’m essentially the only one doing it.  Sorry it’s taking me a while.

FWIW, if memory serves there was a while lot more info in the Member box on UBB (things like location, custom titles, etc) so this is arguably the more minimalist approach even with the goofy graphics switched on.

dB

• Like 2

Thanks dB! I’d used “minimalist” to mean “less garish.” Information is always good, but in this case, a less intrusive block of small type is my old-man graphic designer preference. Although I realize that may not be most folk’s opinion or even possible.

Here for the gear.

No worries at all, guys.  The feedback is absolutely helpful - more than you know.

Frankly, some days I'm overwhelmed by how much stuff I could be doing, and one of you pointing out a challenge for me to solve gives me direction.

It is getting to the point where it'd be advantageous for us to have a bit more help under the hood.  The tech side of this is not my forte, and there are a bunch of things I'm still missing..  Heck, I'm surprised I could figure out how to implement the Facebook sign-in thing!

dB

1 hour ago, Mr -G- said:

When I try to access the forum directly through https://forums.musicplayer.com/forum/28-the-keyboard-corner/ every time I am greeted with the Spanish version of the forum... 🤔

Not too much of a problem but I thought I should report it.

Weird. I’ll check it out.

Only if you jump right to KC?  Is it just that page, or do other page you load stay in Spanish?

dB

4 hours ago, Mr -G- said:

When I try to access the forum directly through https://forums.musicplayer.com/forum/28-the-keyboard-corner/ every time I am greeted with the Spanish version of the forum... 🤔

Not too much of a problem but I thought I should report it.

That's happened to me a few times as well. Once I log in, it reverts back to English.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

8 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

No worries at all, guys.  The feedback is absolutely helpful - more than you know.

Frankly, some days I'm overwhelmed by how much stuff I could be doing, and one of you pointing out a challenge for me to solve gives me direction.

It is getting to the point where it'd be advantageous for us to have a bit more help under the hood.  The tech side of this is not my forte, and there are a bunch of things I'm still missing..  Heck, I'm surprised I could figure out how to implement the Facebook sign-in thing!

dB

Wish I could help. Web-tech stuff isn't my forté either (my background is print) but from any design standpoint I'd be more than willing.

Here for the gear.

My biggest concern is that I'm not sure the conversion was complete. Numerous times, I've used Google to find something here, and if it's a really old result (like, more than 10 years ago), the google result will not successfully link to the forum, and even trying to find the post with the forum's own search facility (based on the piece of the result I was able to find from the google search) fails to bring up the post. So it seems like either some of the old stuff still isn't here, or still isn't being found by the site's own search (and if you can't find it, it might as well not be here).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have switched to Firefox (Chrome and FB not getting along.) I writing this from Chrome cause I can't log on with Firefox using same email/passwd. BTW - earlier I sent email to administrators at bottom of webpage, when I couldn't get into KC from either browser.

Thank you.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Okay, get this: the Invision folks (our hosts) have a forum where you can go for tech support.   Experts available…for free! 😎

Click here.

Because I’m basically useless as a tech support person for people with anything but the most basic questions, I’ve actually built the link into the SUPPORT section of the menu bar at the top of the forum so it’s really easy to access.  It’ll create a new window.

NOTE: YOU WILL HAVE TO CREATE A WHOLE DIFFERENT ACCOUNT THAN THE ONE YOU HAVE HERE TO JOIN THAT COMMUNITY.  It can be a bit confusing.  Different password and everything…

Invision rocks. 

dB

• Like 2