Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

....annnnnd we're back...

18 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

I've noticed this a few times and speculate it has been mostly from cutting and pasting text from other sources.

This is something that has recently started up on my Mac and I hate it.    When you copy it is also copy format info so when you paste if the site supported formating that formatting appears too.     So now when I paste I have to make sure I paste using "Paste and Match Style".    Then it just pastes the text without formating. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

Try now.dB

Success, thanks!

One thing that was nice before, that I don't see here, is that there was an option for whether or not you wanted the post to display the fact that it was edited. I'd leave that unchecked for typos and other things that didn't really affect the substance of the message, but I would check it if I'd made a more substantial change. Unless I'm missing something, there's no such option now? I guess if I feel it's really warranted, I could add an "edited" note at the bottom of the post myself.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

14 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

One thing that was nice before, that I don't see here, is that there was an option for whether or not you wanted the post to display the fact that it was edited. I'd leave that unchecked for typos and other things that didn't really affect the substance of the message, but I would check it if I'd made a more substantial change. Unless I'm missing something, there's no such option now? I guess if I feel it's really warranted, I could add an "edited" note at the bottom of the post myself.

Yes, you missed something.

Look back a few pages.  Everyone wants something different.

I settled on a 12 hour edit window.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

17 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

Yes, you missed something.

Look back a few pages.  Everyone wants something different.

I settled on a 12 hour edit window.

dB

I saw that, and 12 hours is fine. My question was about the old user-option of being able to *display* whether or not the post had been edited. Did I miss a way to show it, if I want it to show? No biggie, though.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

@Dave Bryce, remember that old checkbox for showing whether you'd edited your post or not? The 12-hour (or however many) "window" for stealth edits decides for the user if the post will show as edited. If you edit within the window, it does not, and if you edit outside it, it does. 

While of course we'll all get used to however this new forum ends up working, there is something nice about the ability to decide if you want to show that an edit has taken place--even within the "window." This does seem to be an option at similar sites, so maybe it's somewhere annoying in the options. Definitely NOT a priority, but if there's the ability to enable this--at your leisure, down the line--it is nice, as a user, to be able to opt for it (or not) when you change your post.

• Like 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I follow what you guys are after. 

If I can find it, I'll toggle it on.  As far as I can tell though, very few people who edit a post want to take to time to explain why they did it.

dB

3 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

I follow what you guys are after. 

If I can find it, I'll toggle it on.  As far as I can tell though, very few people who edit a post want to take to time to explain why they did it.

dB

For sure, and actually that's why the "last edited..." notice is nice. It removes the need to say, "EDITED TO ADD" or whatever, and just lets the reader know additional information may have been added since the last time they saw it.

• Like 1

www.joshweinstein.com

Okay, I found it and I remember what the problem was when I found it a few days ago.

While Members can toggle showing edits on and off, Staff (Mods/Admin) can not toggle off seeing said edits.  Same with our edits - we can toggle them so the Members can't see them, but we see them no matter what.  

As far as I can tell, there's no way to disable that.

That means that while you guys can hide ones you don't want folks to see, we have to see them all...including all our own.   I don't want that - sorry. :duck:

My suggested solution would be that if you want to show that you edited a post for some reason, you could leave a note in the post explaining. That would work, yes?

dB

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

As far as I can tell though, very few people who edit a post want to take to time to explain why they did it.

MoI has it right... the benefit of the checkbox is precisely so people could indicate the edit without taking the time to explain it. So what you said there actually supports rather than argues against the desirability of the feature.

8 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

That means that while you guys can hide ones you don't want folks to see, we have to see them all...including all our own.   I don't want that - sorry. :duck:

My suggested solution would be that if you want to show that you edited a post for some reason, you could leave a note in the post explaining. That would work, yes?

Yes that works, that's the workaround I posted when I first asked about it (where I said "I guess if I feel it's really warranted, I could add an 'edited' note at the bottom of the post myself"). I don't really understand the issue as you described it, though, because the only thing we're talking about hiding or showing is, literally, "edited at {time}." The edits themselves will be the same either way. So I don't understand what is is the moderators would see (that they don't want to see) if the toggle were set to allow the user to optionally show "edited at {time}." But also... it doesn't matter, I'll take your word for it, it's okay. :-)

Reading between the lines, I think he is referring to the previously "stealth" edits we can do for 12 hours. Changing that preference would mean him having to see every time we all decided to change our typos or whatever, for all of those now-"free" hours.

A drag for sure.

• Like 1

www.joshweinstein.com

39 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

I think he is referring to the previously "stealth" edits we can do for 12 hours. Changing that preference would mean him having to see every time we all decided to change our typos or whatever, for all of those now-"free" hours.

A drag for sure.

:yeahthat:

Not just me - all the Staff folks.

dB

4 hours ago, MAJUSCULE said:

Anyone else having trouble with the occasional dark text while using either of the dark themes? Seems to happen with certain links, maybe also with quoted text. Not sure how it's happening as so far I can't seem to discern a consistent pattern. Forces me to highlight the post so I can read it in dark mode.

4 hours ago, Morrissey said:

I've noticed this a few times and speculate it has been mostly from cutting and pasting text from other sources.

Just encountered this problem while creating a post.  I think I'm in the "dark mode" motif, and when I manually copied light-colored text from one KC thread and pasted it into another thread, the text pasted in a different, dark color that blended in with the background color.

Not a big deal, mods, but wanted to report the phenomenon. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 8:44 AM, Joe Muscara said:

Two things I miss and hope they can be brought back eventually (no rush, dB. I get what you're saying about letting things settle in first) are

1. Date joined next to user. Post count is good, but together it helps to know how long they've been signed up.
  2. Location of user.  It's fun to see but also can be helpful. In the worth it to buy a real Hammond thread, Adan talked about having nearby techs. If someone said they were considering buying a Hammond but they lived someplace where there are no techs, we might say don't, but if they live in Mt Horeb, WI, we could say, "we know a guy!"
  3. I said two but this is a bonus. I don't know what it was called on the old forum, but here it's under custom_title. I loved that badge of honor you gave me years ago. It's still on my profile but I always got a little chuckle when I looked over to the left and saw it in my profile info.

Overall all though, I'm stoked about the updated forum and am really enjoying being here. I hope others are too, and I hope some folks come back. As you know, I've been nudging them this way. ;) 

All good points, Joe. I was wondering where the newest member who posted on PC4 in French, is from. Count me in on that request.

• Like 2

Here for the gear.

2 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Just encountered this problem while creating a post.  I think I'm in the "dark mode" motif, and when I manually copied light-colored text from one KC thread and pasted it into another thread, the text pasted in a different, dark color that blended in with the background color.

Not a big deal, mods, but wanted to report the phenomenon. 

I encountered a quote with letters black and unreadable. Easy fix - just highlight quote. When I did it, the black text turned to blue; fixed.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Now that many of the issues and requests have been addressed, dB, I’ve gotta say the new format is just fantastic. Thanks for putting up with everything/body while at the same time you’ve been working through all this. I would have snarked out very early in the process, myself. We’ll done, sir.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Here for the gear.

FWIW, the metrics show that almost half of the folks who read the forum do so using Chrome.  I've been using Chrome's Night mode with the default Theme on my Ipad, and I like it a lot.

dB

• Thanks 1

BTW, anyone who saw my thread about the Jazz Fest poster might have noticed that I embedded a Tweet, just like I did here. I *think* there are tools to embed FB and IG as well but they need to be installed. I only took a quick glance at this so I'm not sure and I'm not sure how well they work. But, having them would let people share content from musicians we want to talk about instead of making people go to those sites. 

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

4 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

FWIW, the metrics show that almost half of the folks who read the forum do so using Chrome.  I've been using Chrome's Night mode with the default Theme on my Ipad, and I like it a lot.

dB

Just tried the same. Very nice.

www.joshweinstein.com

2 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

BTW, anyone who saw my thread about the Jazz Fest poster might have noticed that I embedded a Tweet, just like I did here. I *think* there are tools to embed FB and IG as well but they need to be installed. I only took a quick glance at this so I'm not sure and I'm not sure how well they work. But, having them would let people share content from musicians we want to talk about instead of making people go to those sites. 

Not exactly.  Twitter is the only one that has that sent up to work so easily.  Closer integration with FB is possible, but there’s a procedure I need to go through to make that happen.

dB

• Like 1

Hi Dave and everybody.

The new format is coming along nicely.   Eventually I'll get used to it.   Once again, well done, Dave et al.   However... (ya knew that was coming, right? 🙂 )...   This is regarding logging in (and please excuse me if you already know this, as I haven't read the entire thread yet):

We're supposed to log in using the the email address that we originally signed up with when we joined, correct?    That doesn't work for me.   I'm able to log in, but with a newer email address.  I can't remember when that newer email address was introduced to the system.

I'm not complaining - I am able to log in.  But I just figured I should bring it to your attention.

Cheers for Beers

Richard

13 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:

Hi Dave and everybody.

The new format is coming along nicely.   Eventually I'll get used to it.   Once again, well done, Dave et al.   However... (ya knew that was coming, right? 🙂 )...   This is regarding logging in (and please excuse me if you already know this, as I haven't read the entire thread yet):

We're supposed to log in using the the email address that we originally signed up with when we joined, correct?    That doesn't work for me.   I'm able to log in, but with a newer email address.  I can't remember when that newer email address was introduced to the system.

I'm not complaining - I am able to log in.  But I just figured I should bring it to your attention.

Cheers for Beers

Richard

Hi, Richard - 

As I understand it, you were supposed to use the most recent email address you were using on the other platform.  

There were quite a few people who never changed it when they originally signed up - they were the ones being cautioned to make sure they knew their email.

Sorry about the confusion.

dB

• Like 1

Hey, I've got one.

When you hover over the reaction emoji's, the thumbs-up is not among them. 
Of course it's easy enough to figure out that you can just click on the thumb you're hovering over, but it's counter-intuitive and a bit out of line with how other reaction-emoji's work. Would it be possible to add the thumbs-up to set of options that appear when you hover over the thumb?

www.joshweinstein.com

As far as copy-pasting formatting...yeah, I'm pretty used to running into that at work and also when grabbing song lyrics and chords.   I'm conditioned to just have a plain-text text editor open (notepad on pc for example) and do the extra step of pasting in there and then copy-pasting back out, which removes all formatting.

49 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

Hey, I've got one.

When you hover over the reaction emoji's, the thumbs-up is not among them. 
Of course it's easy enough to figure out that you can just click on the thumb you're hovering over, but it's counter-intuitive and a bit out of line with how other reaction-emoji's work. Would it be possible to add the thumbs-up to set of options that appear when you hover over the thumb?

No.  Something has to be in that first space like that.  Me messing with that is what screwed up the thumbs down one a few days ago.

Sorry.

dB

• Haha 1