Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

....annnnnd we're back...

1 hour ago, Dreamchilde said:

I'm finding I have to log in twice. First time I get an error. Then it takes me to another login page, and that one works.

Anyone else experiencing this?

A couple suggestions (sorry if you've tried these already): clear your cache...and if you were using a bookmarked link pre-migration, check that.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

1 hour ago, Dreamchilde said:

I'm finding I have to log in twice. First time I get an error. Then it takes me to another login page, and that one works.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Yes, I am seeing the same, but not every time. The link I use to log in points to the KC main page. 🤔

2 hours ago, Mr -G- said:

Yes, I am seeing the same, but not every time. The link I use to log in points to the KC main page. 🤔

Using the new link, right?

https://forums.musicplayer.com/forum/28-the-keyboard-corner/

One suggestion I’m pretty sure always works is to use the forum’s front door.

https://forums.musicplayer.com

dB

15 hours ago, Mr -G- said:

same here,- sometimes it works normal, sometimes not.

I updated links twice meanwhile,- yesterday I had to log in twice and landed on MPN page, today it worked as expected,- reading, then log in and landing in the thread I already read w/ dark theme now active.

A.C.

4 hours ago, 16251 said:

This is the green I speak of, sort of.

image.png.ec76ee023ab75132a697c6d4099f9a66.png

that's a big no from me....         I love the current black theme.     Maybe if we can have a few choices.....  I actually find that green more unappealing than the previous full on white theme before dark mode was activated.

• Like 1

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

21 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

Using the new link, right?

https://forums.musicplayer.com/forum/28-the-keyboard-corner/

One suggestion I’m pretty sure always works is to use the forum’s front door.

https://forums.musicplayer.com

dB

Hi dB,

Yes I should have said MPN front door: https://forums.musicplayer.com/

Today I logged in without an issue, but sometimes it fails and the 2nd time lets me in. It is not an issue for me, but it seems that others experience it  sometimes.

2 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

that's a big no from me....         I love the current black theme.     Maybe if we can have a few choices.....  I actually find that green more unappealing than the previous full on white theme before dark mode was activated.

I didn't know I was choosing a color for everyone. :w00t:

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

3 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

Another fan of the black theme here.    Having a choice is always best!

On 1/20/2022 at 4:26 PM, Morrissey said:

I'm a little wary of the "Leaderboard" tab.  Triggers some competitive anxiety.

On 1/20/2022 at 4:44 PM, ksoper said:

I just joined Boardgame Arena and they're big on awards, rankings, and warnings.  On a game site it makes sense.  Here, not so much.  Otherwise, it looks fantastic.  Thanks, Dave, and all involved.  

In partial contradiction of my earlier post, I'd like to lobby for (re-)deploying modest functionality that provides recognition for forum members who post excellent content.  My best idea is to restore the feature that displays how many "likes" a member's posts have received, but I'm not particular about the specific functionality.

I don't think we should deploy every bell & whistle offered by the new platform.  But some folks put a lot of effort into the content they share with our community.  I appreciate it!  And I think it would enhance our community to recognize post quality in addition to post quantity. 

I offer this suggestion while fully acknowledging I am nowhere near the top in terms of quantity or quality.  I will readily accept a veto of this suggestion.          

On 2/8/2022 at 8:34 PM, Jim Quinn said:

I looked through the control panel and see no configurable parameter to use username for login, so we stuck with using email address to login.

It's possible that Invision blocks special characters for email addresses, but it's also possible they know that the '+' character can be prepended a gmail address to create multiple email alias all to the same account.

My advice - get an email address without special characters.

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I'll change the email login — grudgingly. 

The point of having the "+whatever" all alias to the same account is precisely to use different email addresses for each site login. 

That way, when one site database gets hacked, they'll have "chris+musicplayer@domain.net" and whatever login data they have won't work on any other site even if I've used the same password — and if it gets scraped for spam, a) I'll know exactly where it leaked, and b) it's easy to block that one address. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

On 2/8/2022 at 7:34 PM, Jim Quinn said:

I looked through the control panel and see no configurable parameter to use username for login, so we stuck with using email address to login.

It's possible that Invision blocks special characters for email addresses, but it's also possible they know that the '+' character can be prepended a gmail address to create multiple email alias all to the same account.

It always worries me when email addresses aren't parsed correctly. It's not like there aren't a million pre-written algorithms to do that, so why write their own buggy one?

• Like 1

Aw RFC's like Unix man pages are a great way to make sure you drink plenty of water they are some dry reading.    So only the brave will drill down on those RFC papers for the dusty details.   Below is the basics on permissible characters in an email address

============================================================

The format of email addresses is local-part@domain where the local-part may be up to 64 characters long and the domain name may have a maximum of 253 characters - but the maximum 256 characters length of a forward or reverse path restricts the entire email address to be no more than 254 characters.<sup id="cite_ref-0">[1]</sup> The formal definitions are in RFC 5322 (sections 3.2.3 and 3.4.1) and RFC 5321 - with a more readable form given in the informational RFC 3696<sup id="cite_ref-1">[2]</sup> and the associated errata.

Local part

The local-part of the email address may use any of these ASCII characters RFC 5322 Section 3.2.3:

·         Uppercase and lowercase English letters (a–z, A–Z) (ASCII: 65-90, 97-122)

·         Digits 0 to 9 (ASCII: 48-57)

·         Characters !#$%&'*+-/=?^_`{|}~ (ASCII: 33, 35-39, 42, 43, 45, 47, 61, 63, 94-96, 123-126)

·         Character . (dot, period, full stop) (ASCII: 46) provided that it is not the first or last character, and provided also that it does not appear two or more times consecutively (e.g. John..Doe@example.com is not allowed.).

·         Special characters are allowed with restrictions. They are:

o    Space and "(),:;<>@[\] (ASCII: 32, 34, 40, 41, 44, 58, 59, 60, 62, 64, 91-93)

The restrictions for special characters are that they must only be used when contained between quotation marks, and that 3 of them (The space, backslash \ and quotation mark " (ASCII: 32, 92, 34)) must also be preceded by a backslash \ (e.g. "\ \\\"").

A quoted string may exist as a dot separated entity within the local-part, or it may exist when the outermost quotes are the outermost characters of the local-part (e.g. abc."defghi".xyz@example.com or "abcdefghixyz"@example.com are allowed. Conversely, abc"defghi"xyz@example.com is not; neither is abc\"def\"ghi@example.com). Quoted strings and characters however, are not commonly used. RFC 5321 also warns that "a host that expects to receive mail SHOULD avoid defining mailboxes where the Local-part requires (or uses) the Quoted-string form".

The local-part "postmaster" is treated specially - it is case-insensitive, and should be forwarded to the server's administrator. Technically all other local-parts are case sensitive, therefore jsmith@example.com and JSmith@example.com specify different mailboxes. However most organizations treat uppercase and lowercase letters as equivalent, and also do not allow use of the technically valid characters (space, ? and ^). Organizations are free to restrict the forms of their own email addresses as desired, e.g., Windows Live Hotmail, for example, only allows creation of email addresses using alphanumerics, dot (.), underscore (_) and hyphen (-).<sup id="cite_ref-2">[3]</sup>

Systems that send mail must be capable of handling outgoing mail for all valid addresses. Contrary to the relevant standards, some defective systems treat certain legitimate addresses as invalid and fail to handle mail to these addresses. Hotmail, for example, refuses to send mail to any address containing any of the following standards-permissible characters: !#$%*/?^`{|}~

Domain part

The domain name part of an email address has to conform to strict guidelines: it must match the requirements for a hostname, consisting of letters, digits, hyphens and dots. In addition, the domain part may be an IP address literal, surrounded by square braces, such as jsmith@[192.168.2.1], although this is rarely seen except in email spam.

Examples

Valid email addresses

·        <tt>niceandsimple@example.com</tt>

·        <tt>a.little.unusual@example.com</tt>

·        <tt>a.little.more.unusual@dept.example.com</tt>

·        <tt>much."more\ unusual"@example.com</tt>

·        <tt>very.unusual."@".unusual.com@example.com</tt>

·        <tt>very."(),:;<>[]".VERY."very@\\\ \"very".unusual@strange.example.com</tt>

Invalid email addresses

·        <tt>Abc.example.com</tt> (an @ character must separate the local and domain parts)

·        <tt>Abc.@example.com</tt> (character dot(.) is last in local part)

·        <tt>Abc..123@example.com</tt> (character dot(.) is double)

·        <tt>A@b@c@example.com</tt> (only one @ is allowed outside quotation marks)

·        <tt>a"b(c)d,e:f;g<h>i[j\k]l@example.com</tt> (none of the special characters in this local part is allowed outside quotation marks)

·        <tt>just"not"right@example.com</tt> (quoted strings must be dot separated, or the only element making up the local-part)

·        <tt>this is"not\allowed@example.com</tt> (spaces, quotes, and backslashes may only exist when within quoted strings and preceded by a slash)

·        <tt>this\ still\"not\\allowed@example.com</tt> (even if escaped (preceded by a backslash), spaces, quotes, and backslashes must still be contained by quotes)

• Like 1

Since today, I cannot use "<<" (1st page), PREV and page numbers anymore to go back when I typed a post and submitted.

Also not "<-" and "->" in Firefox´ task bar.

When I use all mentioned above, I get a blank white screen and have to launch KC all new.

Firefox got an update this morning ... :wall:

🙂

A.C.

1 hour ago, LarsHarner2 said:

Hello! Just rejoined as I guess I didn't have the original email address from maybe twenty years ago to get a reset. good to be back

If you want to PM me, I can change the email on your old account for you, or merge the two accounts.

dB

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Al Coda said:

Since today, I cannot use "<<" (1st page), PREV and page numbers anymore to go back when I typed a post and submitted.

Also not "<-" and "->" in Firefox´ task bar.

When I use all mentioned above, I get a blank white screen and have to launch KC all new.

Firefox got an update this morning ... :wall:

🙂

A.C.

I have similar behaviour in Chrome. You should find that refreshing the page (F5) displays it correctly.

Regards, Mike.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

I have similar behaviour in Chrome. You should find that refreshing the page (F5) displays it correctly.

Regards, Mike.

Yeah I've been having the same problem, Ctrl+R/Cmd+R does the same thing as F5 if you are one of those people who enjoy taking the keys off of your computer keyboard

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

Nicely done! The forum looks great.

I had many, many threads bookmarked prior to the change, all of which now direct to the "Sorry, we could not find that!" page since the URL's have changed. Is there any way to fix this besides manually searching for the threads one-by-one and creating new bookmarks?

14 hours ago, SMcD said:

I had many, many threads bookmarked prior to the change, all of which now direct to the "Sorry, we could not find that!" page since the URL's have changed. Is there any way to fix this besides manually searching for the threads one-by-one and creating new bookmarks?

Hmmm…not sure.  I’ll ask the Powers That Be.

dB

• Like 2

On 2/7/2022 at 1:41 AM, MathOfInsects said:

Finally, the way the new site is laid out, Gal Gadot is unable to get ahold of me to date me.

I'm afraid you're going to be waiting for Gadot for a long, long time.

But back to the topic at hand... Just like Al Coda, Stoken6, and GotKeys, navigating to another page in a thread yields a blank page, I always have to then hit cmd-R to refresh, which reloads it properly. (I'm using Brave, which is Chrome-based, on a Mac.)

I miss that the search doesn't include a filter for author anymore. That made it simpler to find something I'd posted in the past, or something where I remember who it was who said it. Similarly, the page that shows my own posts now only goes back a short while. And I used to use the "Print Thread" option to search a thread for my own posts (by simply using the browser's own Find function on that screen), but even though the search function lets you search a single thread, it doesn't include poster's names in that search. And google searches of this forum aren't working right. So my oft-used ability to reference things I've written in the past is kind of obliterated at the moment, almost no matter which angle I come at it from. I don't know if there's any way to address it... or maybe there's some facility I missed?

BTW, has all the indexing been completed, such that search should work? Because I'm trying to locate an old page that came up in a google search... google showed it to me in the results but could not find the actual page to link to, so I tried searching for the relevant phrases here, and the built-in search couldn't find it. I can provide detail and screenshots if it might be helpful, if that actually should all be working at this point.

Speaking of things I missed, I only recently realized you could Quote a post by clicking on the word "Quote." I thought the word "Quote" only served to tell you what the symbol to its left would do (which is multiquote), I didn't realize it was also its own function, more convenient than multiquote if you're only quoting the one thing.

And ooh, I just discovered Soft Blue, thanks for that! I don't understand why everyone goes gaga for dark themes. As someone said earlier, it is well known that its is easier to read dark print on a light background than vice versa. But the original white was a little glarey, I'm glad to see this more subdued option, I think I'll like it. (But I did just notice, if a post includes a quote, the name of the person quoted is illegible because its color is almost identical to that line's background color.)

But along those lines, the other thing I'd like to see addressed (which may or may not be possible) is just tightening up the display. There's just so much more "white space" (or, I suppose, "dark space", on a dark theme), that it takes a lot more scrolling to see the same amount of content compared to before. Here's an example shot of this forum vs. pianoworld which still uses your old platform...

forums side by side.jpg

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

FYI... The standard themes shows threads with new posts in bold, but the blue them unfortunately does not. See image...

Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 3.22.05 PM.jpg

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)