Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

....annnnnd we're back...

On 5/16/2022 at 8:54 PM, AnotherScott said:

I just did this google search:

467890720_ScreenShot2022-05-16at9_46_51PM.jpg.4369f8f91ee86b2f89f74b92d02744a2.jpg

I clicked the second one, and got "Sorry! The page you requested does not exist"

so then I tried search for that thread using this forum's search function, using the same search phrase (18 hits, but not that one), and the thread title "Old DX7 patches in a modern rig" (no hits)... that one is only from 2016, and it doesn't appear to be here.

I've run into this enough times to be fairly certain that a lot of old content did not survive the transition to the new platform. Sometimes I was able to see it via google's cache, but sometimes not (and I suspect that, the more time goes by, the less likely the cache "trick" is likely to work). This one was an example of one where the cache option was gone as well.

I don't know that there's any fix for this, or even if there is, what herculean effort might be required to fix it (and what else could go wrong in the process!). I remember that someone maintained a "backup" of the old site, in case it went down. I wonder if it might make sense (and be feasible) to activate that backup site, leave it up in a "read only" format (no new posts), as an archive where we know we could find all the old content.

Just another data point to confirm this phenomenon.  I was searching for this old thread (4 or 5 years old?), to cross-reference in a new, active thread: https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2856131/Poll_Soulful_Strut_vs_Grazing_

I found the thread via a Google search but I cannot find it on the new platform.  As others have observed, the move to the platform is a wonderful advancement but it does seem we are losing some archival content.

Is there a way to add location of each poster to their info on the left? It was especially helpful in Garage Sale when people forgot to post where they are when they were selling something, but it also helped to know how far away someone was in time zones, whether they would likely be able to see a YT video, and more.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

56 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

it does seem we are losing some archival content

Yet we have posts going back to at least 2000, found by going to the last page of posts (currently 1602). My guess is that it's more likely the search index didn't get everything. Maybe it ran out of room. :idk:

Edited to add: I just searched for one of those thread titles from the last page and got no results. So I think it's the search index, not the archive itself.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

29 minutes ago, Joe Muscara said:

Yet we have posts going back to at least 2000, found by going to the last page of posts (currently 1602). My guess is that it's more likely the search index didn't get everything. Maybe it ran out of room. :idk:

Edited to add: I just searched for one of those thread titles from the last page and got no results. So I think it's the search index, not the archive itself.

I have no idea what the explanation is but some things seem to be inaccessible.  E.g., when I look at the archive of my own posts, the very first posts I made, about 2008, are not listed among them.  Again, the new platform is a net positive for me, so I'm not complaining.

1 hour ago, Joe Muscara said:

Is there a way to add location of each poster to their info on the left? It was especially helpful in Garage Sale when people forgot to post where they are when they were selling something, but it also helped to know how far away someone was in time zones, whether they would likely be able to see a YT video, and more.

Not that I can see.  Same with custom titles.  

All that stuff is in the individual profiles now, which is a whole other page. Click on the poster's name, and you'll see it.

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2022 at 10:42 AM, AnotherScott said:

When I quote a long message to reply, and I want to reply in chunks interspersed with the parts I'm quoting, I start with the Quote, and sometimes I can click in the quote right after the part I want to respond to, hit return, and it will "break up" the quote at that point for me to type my response, which is exactly what I want; but sometimes, when I try it, it doesn't break the quote and just inserts my tying as part of the quoted section. I can't figure out what behavior on my part is prompting it to do one thing or the other. Any tips here?

I figured it out!

If you want to break up a long quote and insert your reply to just part of it, first place your cursor where you want to break the quote. Hit return. (You may be able to skip this part if the place you're breaking it is at an existing paragraph break.) Then return the cursor to the point before that inserted return. Then hit return twice. Bingo!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

10 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

I figured it out!

If you want to break up a long quote and insert your reply to just part of it, first place your cursor where you want to break the quote. Hit return. (You may be able to skip this part if the place you're breaking it is at an existing paragraph break.)

Ok….

10 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Then return the cursor to the point before that inserted return. Then hit return twice. Bingo!

Eureka! 

• Like 1

Here for the gear.

14 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

I figured it out!

If you want to break up a long quote and insert your reply to just part of it, first place your cursor where you want to break the quote. Hit return. (You may be able to skip this part if the place you're breaking it is at an existing paragraph break.) Then return the cursor to the point before that inserted return. Then hit return twice. Bingo!

You ARE The Man!  :rocker::clap:

How did you figure it out?

dB

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

I figured it out!

If you want to break up a long quote and insert your reply to just part of it, first place your cursor where you want to break the quote.

This was just so damn cool I had to try it. Hey, it works!!

15 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Hit return. (You may be able to skip this part if the place you're breaking it is at an existing paragraph break.) Then return the cursor to the point before that inserted return. Then hit return twice. Bingo!

Bingo indeed!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Reflecting back to the older format, the new forum is SO much better! 

To continue the improvement and get us all to the gold more quickly, I propose to redo the top 3 sticky messages into 1-word links at the top of the page (to the right of the MPN Store / Support / etc links).  The sticky messages contain appropriate & necessary info, but do they really need to take up that much screen real estate?   Maybe the same for the shameless plugs and garage sale subforums.

• Like 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Very minor comment: I noted is that when we are in the main page, and click on the logo for a particular forum while I was expecting it to take me to that forum, but the browser shows me that image instead!. I wonder if rather than that if would be useful to link to the sub-forum *page*. Maybe it is only me...

5 hours ago, Mr -G- said:

Very minor comment: I noted is that when we are in the main page, and click on the logo for a particular forum while I was expecting it to take me to that forum, but the browser shows me that image instead!. I wonder if rather than that if would be useful to link to the sub-forum *page*. Maybe it is only me...

That’s a great idea!  

Not sure I can do it though - we just put the banners there for decoration - but lemme try.

It was easy.  Same edit bar as in the forum, so all I had to do was highlight the banner and embed the link URL.  

Each of the banners for each forum in the main menu now jump directly to the correct forum. 😎

Again, good call!  👊

:thx:

dB

• Like 2

On 5/16/2022 at 9:54 PM, AnotherScott said:

I just did this google search:

467890720_ScreenShot2022-05-16at9_46_51PM.jpg.4369f8f91ee86b2f89f74b92d02744a2.jpg

I clicked the second one, and got "Sorry! The page you requested does not exist"

so then I tried search for that thread using this forum's search function, using the same search phrase (18 hits, but not that one), and the thread title "Old DX7 patches in a modern rig" (no hits)... that one is only from 2016, and it doesn't appear to be here.

I've run into this enough times to be fairly certain that a lot of old content did not survive the transition to the new platform. Sometimes I was able to see it via google's cache, but sometimes not (and I suspect that, the more time goes by, the less likely the cache "trick" is likely to work). This one was an example of one where the cache option was gone as well.

I don't know that there's any fix for this, or even if there is, what herculean effort might be required to fix it (and what else could go wrong in the process!). I remember that someone maintained a "backup" of the old site, in case it went down. I wonder if it might make sense (and be feasible) to activate that backup site, leave it up in a "read only" format (no new posts), as an archive where we know we could find all the old content.

Things have taken a turn for the worse. The thread "old dx7 patches in a modern rig" still doesn't show up in a forum search but now it ALSO doesn't show up in a Google search, I guess it has been absent from the site long enough that it has been removed from Google's index of the site, and I imagine others will follow if they haven't disappeared already. As I said, this had bitten me numerous times, there appears to be a significant amount of old content that has been lost in the transition to the new format.

Is there any chance https://keyboardcorner.boards.net/ can be reactivated, in a read-only mode, so we'd have a way to check for old posts?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Jim is actually messing around with our Google account at the moment.  The way it was connected to Invision may have been part of the problem as far as that aspect. We're switching a few services over to them in the process, so we'll be in much closer contact with them and should hopefully be able to clean things up.

As far as the Invision search engine, I'll make sure Jim sees this.

dB

I put up a big ol' post on the Invision community about the search engine.  Replies so far:

It can take Google MONTHS to recrawl and re-search your site. I did a domain change in March and while it was picked up pretty quickly there are still literally more than 50% of items that have not been re-indexed yet. Google says they do this to prevent them from overloading your site. 

Don’t use Google for searching content on your site. Use the IPB site search function for now until Google picks up more. You can monitor progress of what Google finds in the Google Webmaster Search Console. 

One of the Invision guys asked:

Do you have an example URL which you can provide us? Following a few old URLs I found on Google, the redirects from the converter are working without issue:

Example URL: https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3094625/best-way-to-get-fm-dx-in-a-rack

It may be the user itself does not have access so if it comes to that we may need to know the user's display name.

The thread discussing this is here, in case anyone wants to participate.  Remember, the Invision community is a different forum.  You have to sign up to participate - your MPN credentials do not work there.

dB

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Mr -G- said:

About the new forum image in the main page: when clicking on it rather than going directly to the forum, it just shows the image in a new screen.

Sorry - forgot I need to embed the link when I put the Hallowe'en banner up.  Should be fine now.

Thanks for catching that!

dB

• Like 1

KC_banner_06_halloween.jpg.fe284089d333c

There is not enough contrast between the background and the text of this banner.

Especially when viewed in a theme with a light background the light background blows out / glows so strong it swallows the banner making it appear much darker than it is.

This particular banner probably looks its best with a black / dark them yet even with that environment the text / background context is not resolved.

A swatch of a color will look completely different depending on its environment.

https://opusdesign.us/wordcount/color-interaction/

• 2 weeks later...

By using custom blocking rules in AdGuard I managed to remove all the clutter. Now, if the three pinned threads can be merged into one or moved into a menu or something it would be even better. We all know the rules and don’t need them being above the threads all the time. Any chance of configuring for them to hide when read? I have my own forum where pinned threads stay pinned only until read. Here’s how it looks now, I will try to remove the pin threads later but it can be trickier:

414885D9-4E2D-4AB1-8593-63D74C948460.png

OK, finally managed to hide the pinned threads too. So, if you’re using AdGuard for Safari on iOS, here are the rules. 

forums.musicplayer.com##li[data-location="e7161fee1de0182053e3faaacc64e09f"]
forums.musicplayer.com##li[data-location="cea6010cc171bcabb23df7f5da4f0a29"]
forums.musicplayer.com##li[data-location="bc88c386976af5aeeaa0b7c5930d28ee"]
forums.musicplayer.com###ipsLayout_mainArea > div:nth-child(4) > ul.ipsToolList.ipsToolList_horizontal.ipsToolList_horizontal--flex.ipsClearfix.ipsSpacer_both:first-child
forums.musicplayer.com###ipsLayout_mainArea > div:nth-child(4) > div.ipsBox.ipsResponsive_pull:last-child > div.ipsButtonBar.ipsPad_half.ipsClearfix.ipsClear:nth-child(2) > ul.ipsButtonRow.ipsPos_right.ipsClearfix:first-child
forums.musicplayer.com###elMobileNav
forums.musicplayer.com###elLogo
forums.musicplayer.com###ipsLayout_mainArea > div:first-child
forums.musicplayer.com###ipsLayout_mainArea > div.ipsList_reset.cForumList.ipsBox.ipsSpacer_bottom.ipsResponsive_pull:nth-child(3)
forums.musicplayer.com###ipsLayout_mainArea > div.ipsPageHeader.ipsBox.ipsResponsive_pull.ipsPadding.ipsClearfix:nth-child(2)

Here’s how it looks (The button for starting a new discussion is hidden, however it takes too much vertical space, you can reload without content blockers for a while to see it or just not use the hiding rule above, I forgot which one it is, you have to experiment):

D613A4F1-FFA1-49F4-BB69-D658B2F7CEC6.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Now, if the three pinned threads can be merged into one or moved into a menu or something it would be even better. We all know the rules and don’t need them being above the threads all the time. Any chance of configuring for them to hide when read?

I’d rather not. 

First of all, while (most) forum regulars may know the rules, we do still get new folks coming here and signing up in a fairly regular basis.

Also, you might be surprised how often I have to point those threads and the policies therein out to folks who have been here a while and have either not completely read them or have chosen to ignore them. :idk:

dB 

When I position the mouse pointer over a thread title, there appears a pop-up window showing part of the OP in that thread. In my browser that seems unnecessarily oversized, which obliterates the following two thread titles and seems to take a bit too long to disappear (e.g. after the mouse pointer is elsewhere).  If I scroll up or down with the mouse wheel that pop-up remains open for some time... Is there a setting to avoid having that pop up? Or reducing the time it takes to disappear? Thanks.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 10:42 AM, Mr -G- said:

When I position the mouse pointer over a thread title, there appears a pop-up window showing part of the OP in that thread. In my browser that seems unnecessarily oversized, which obliterates the following two thread titles and seems to take a bit too long to disappear (e.g. after the mouse pointer is elsewhere).  If I scroll up or down with the mouse wheel that pop-up remains open for some time... Is there a setting to avoid having that pop up? Or reducing the time it takes to disappear? Thanks.

Not that I can find. :idk:

Regardless, I’d probably not be inclined to turn a feature like that off based on a single request - there may be folks who like it. Me, I’ve never hovered over a topic long enough to notice it; however, now that I see it, I’m not sure I agree with you that it’s oversized. 🤔

dB