Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

....annnnnd we're back...

going back to a topic that was discussed earlier - is there a particular reason for narrowing the time allowed to edit messages?  Why not just make it unlimited?  I was hoping to go back and fix a post with my newfound youtube pasting skills 😁

(thanks in advance for saving me a few minutes of searching through the thread!)

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I hate to say I liked anything about UBB, but one of the recent upgrades showed us the number of new posts in a thread since we last read it in the topic listing page. I would love to see that here, "I only have a few minutes, that thread only has a couple of new posts so I'll read that one over the one that has 38 new posts. I'll save that for later."

If a way could be found to bring that feature here, it would :rocker:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

6 hours ago, TommyRude said:

going back to a topic that was discussed earlier - is there a particular reason for narrowing the time allowed to edit messages?  Why not just make it unlimited?  I was hoping to go back and fix a post with my newfound youtube pasting skills 😁

(thanks in advance for saving me a few minutes of searching through the thread!)

Wait - you want to be saved a few minutes by asking someone else to retype an answer?  :hitt: 😁

There is a basic choice - either edits can have a short window without edit marks to fix typos, etc…or, edits are unlimited BUT they show when they were changed and who changed them.  

There is no way that a member will be allowed to anonymously edit/changes a post they made, say, two months ago with no accountability.  I would hope the potential problems there would be obvious.

Here’s another complication - some people want things one way, and some people want it another way….so after asking some questions, I made a compromise and set posts to be editable without leaving marks for 12 hours.  That feels right to me.  

If, over time, it feels like it needs to be changed or modified, happy to revisit it then.

I hope that clarifies.

dB

• Like 2

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

1 hour ago, Dave Bryce said:

Wait - you want to be saved a few minutes by asking someone else to retype an answer?  :hitt: 😁

There is a basic choice - either edits can have a short window without edit marks to fix typos, etc…or, edits are unlimited BUT they show when they were changed and who changed them.  

There is no way that a member will be allowed to anonymously edit/changes a post they made, say, two months ago with no accountability.  I would hope the potential problems there would be obvious.

Here’s another complication - some people want things one way, and some people want it another way….so after asking some questions, I made a compromise and set posts to be editable without leaving marks for 12 hours.  That feels right to me.  

If, over time, it feels like it needs to be changed or modified, we can revisit it then,

I hope that clarifies.

dB

thank you thank you!!  Yes... work meeting.. KC.. work meeting.. KC.  I need to quit my day job to allow more time for KC!

AND... my first edit!!  Understand the nuances, thanks for that.  I'd be down with the unlimited/accountable option.  Not really seeing the need for anonymous, nothing super sensitive here?  I will go back, using the NEW SEARCH FUNCTION, find the previous discussion and get up to speed! 😁

• Cool 1

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

TBH, IMO 12 hours is too much. In another forum it is 5 minutes, which  is too short, sometimes I reread some posts of mine and find some typo or wrong phrasing I would like to fix and it is too late.

Again IMO one  hour should  be enough for these  last minute fixes. And yet it might be too late if the posted has already been quoted. :)

Those 12 hours sound OK to fix more serious things but then the post should be tagged as edited, again IMO. :)

PS: isn't there a "preview post" button available on the forum SW?

EDIT: just editted the post to fix those damned mistake types I mentioned above. :)

The issue (as I understood it) isn't the tagging of the post as "edited," it's that any option that allows for marking the post as edited creates some issues dB doesn't want the mod team to have to deal with. So the 12-hours are a middle ground between allowing posts to be edited at all--stealth edited in this case--and dealing with a constantly updating "edit log" for TPTB to have to wade through. With that setting on, they even have to wade through them for stealth edits in whatever window there is for those--so, for example, all your fixed typos would be added to the log. He wanted to avoid that option.

• Like 2

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Now I´m really pi##ed, sorry !

I typed a longer and more detailed reply to the Mac laptop thread and it´s gone after I went to preview and wanted to edit something.

CRAP !

That´s wasted time for sure and I don´t have the time to type everything new again.

Still lots of bugs here !

A.C.

dB, I have a number of complaints about the site. First, ever since the changeover, I have not lost a single pound of COVID weight. Please look into this.

Second, ever since we migrated to the new host, it's been very cold at night here in SD. It is on the verge of killing our orange tree. Is anyone else having this problem?

Finally, the way the new site is laid out, Gal Gadot is unable to get ahold of me to date me. I tried logging out and logging back in, and switched browsers twice, but she still has not contacted me. Is it possible that's an option you forgot to enable?

Thanks for your help. 

• Haha 4

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

6 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

dB, I have a number of complaints about the site. First, ever since the changeover, I have not lost a single pound of COVID weight. Please look into this.

Second, ever since we migrated to the new host, it's been very cold at night here in SD. It is on the verge of killing our orange tree. Is anyone else having this problem?

Finally, the way the new site is laid out, Gal Gadot is unable to get ahold of me to date me. I tried logging out and logging back in, and switched browsers twice, but she still has not contacted me. Is it possible that's an option you forgot to enable?

Thanks for your help. 

You are so superficial MoI 🙄

What about the more substantive bugs:

1. I thought we'd agreed the new forum would only output in stereo - I'm still seeing mono posts.

2. Where the hell is the promised ability to embed MySpace content?

3. I still get errors when trying to access this forum from my CompuServe account 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Al Coda said:

Now I´m really pi##ed, sorry !

I typed a longer and more detailed reply to the Mac laptop thread and it´s gone after I went to preview and wanted to edit something.

CRAP !

That´s wasted time for sure and I don´t have the time to type everything new again.

Still lots of bugs here !

A.C.

I don't see how that is possible based on the way the system works.

As a matter of fact. I started writing this post with your quote above then closed by browser entirely. When I came back to this thread, just clicked in the reply area and my draft re-appeared. 

So you can complete start something, leave and come back and it keeps track of your progress. You just have to click in the reply area.

• Like 1

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

3 hours ago, Dr Nursers said:

You are so superficial MoI 🙄

What about the more substantive bugs:

1. I thought we'd agreed the new forum would only output in stereo - I'm still seeing mono posts.

2. Where the hell is the promised ability to embed MySpace content?

3. I still get errors when trying to access this forum from my CompuServe account 

4. Forum works on all browsers for me, except Netscape Navigator.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I got very used to writing code to hide a URL behind a "clonk". And, instead of pasting in a website for a product, I like to hotlink the name of the product itself. How do we do that now? We used to be able to see the code in a quote to figure that out. Not now.

Here for the gear.

8 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

I don't see how that is possible based on the way the system works.

As a matter of fact. I started writing this post with your quote above then closed by browser entirely. When I came back to this thread, just clicked in the reply area and my draft re-appeared. 

So you can complete start something, leave and come back and it keeps track of your progress. You just have to click in the reply area.

I didn´t close the browser.

I clicked on the preview button above in the toolbar (2nd last button to the right) ...

When you do,- you get the preview and all the posts of this thread appear above the preview.

But the original I typed is gone (at least on my system*),- and I cannot edit anything in the preview.

Now when I go back from the preview,- all I typed is gone forever,- and it was again now.

I just only typed again and now don´t go to the preview and just only submit.

I hope it´s more clear now.

It´s shit I cannot edit typos I find when I preview,- that´s it.

🙂

A.C.

* I use Win10 x64 latest build and Mozilla Firefox latest update

16 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

This is still working for me... must be just you.  Have you tried rebooting your mojo?  The helpdesk tells me that solves most problems

• Like 1

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

1 hour ago, Al Coda said:

I didn´t close the browser.

I clicked on the preview button above in the toolbar (2nd last button to the right) ...

When you do,- you get the preview and all the posts of this thread appear above the preview.

But the original I typed is gone (at least on my system*),- and I cannot edit anything in the preview.

Now when I go back from the preview,- all I typed is gone forever,- and it was again now.

I just only typed again and now don´t go to the preview and just only submit.

I can't duplicate that behavior. I tried it on Safari and Chrome and to test I also installed Firefox on my Macbook. It may be an issue specific to Firefox for Windows but I don't believe it is an issue with "lots of bugs" in the forum software. You may wish to double check any Firefox preferences or plug-ins. I'll add, while testing these, I've had drafts and previews in all three browsers, my text in each was cached in the browser so I could preview, close the browser entirely, open it back up and resume where I left off seamlessly. The content remained unique for each of the browsers so the data is cached locally.

For the record, the Invision platform used here is what we've been using over at Casio Music Forums for almost 10 years. While there are preferences and adjustments that are still being tweaked, I've personally never experienced bugs. The situation here at MPN is unique because the entire database was migrated over so there may be some lingering issues with existing content and dialing in site preferences but this platform is lightyears ahead of UBB. 

1478753350_ScreenShot2022-02-07at5_43_26PM.thumb.png.b1711e74b896e5007016489221719fc6.png

• Like 1

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

3 hours ago, drawback said:

I got very used to writing code to hide a URL behind a "clonk". And, instead of pasting in a website for a product, I like to hotlink the name of the product itself. How do we do that now? We used to be able to see the code in a quote to figure that out. Not now.

Just click on the little chain icon  to the left of the quotation one, and paste in your URL plus optionally you can tell it what text you want.

Example:

https://www.creativeshed.com/2022/01/ducks-in-heaven/ or Ducks in Heaven Joke

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Dr Nursers said:

Just click on the little chain icon  to the left of the quotation one, and paste in your URL plus optionally you can tell it what text you want.

Example:

https://www.creativeshed.com/2022/01/ducks-in-heaven/ or Ducks in Heaven Joke

You can also highlight typed text before clicking the chain icon.  Then, you only need to paste the URL and click the INSERT INTO POST button.

dB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

12 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

I can't duplicate that behavior. I tried it on Safari and Chrome and to test I also installed Firefox on my Macbook. It may be an issue specific to Firefox for Windows but I don't believe it is an issue with "lots of bugs" in the forum software. You may wish to double check any Firefox preferences or plug-ins. I'll add, while testing these, I've had drafts and previews in all three browsers, my text in each was cached in the browser so I could preview, close the browser entirely, open it back up and resume where I left off seamlessly. The content remained unique for each of the browsers so the data is cached locally.

For the record, the Invision platform used here is what we've been using over at Casio Music Forums for almost 10 years. While there are preferences and adjustments that are still being tweaked, I've personally never experienced bugs. The situation here at MPN is unique because the entire database was migrated over so there may be some lingering issues with existing content and dialing in site preferences but this platform is lightyears ahead of UBB. 

1478753350_ScreenShot2022-02-07at5_43_26PM.thumb.png.b1711e74b896e5007016489221719fc6.png

Sorry Mike, I´ve found the solution for my issue.

It´s all about "preview" works  somewhat different here as before.

I leaved the "preview" the wrong way, ignoring the little [X] in the upper right corner of the preview window..

🙂

A.C.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2022 at 6:50 PM, Dave Bryce said:

I'm not sure how to modify the character set. That'd be more in Jim's domain, I'd think.

There are a few other quirks I've noticed...but they're only in only a few fields!  Notice how you were able to type what you wanted in the body of your message.  The User names field seems to have similar issues.

This might be just as simple as changing which font is used by which field...but I'm not there yet.

dB

Any update on this? 

It would suffice to be able to log in with user name rather than email… 

I'm now getting email reminders that I have an unsubmitted message waiting from typing one on a device that wouldn't let me log in… 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

4 hours ago, analogika said:

It would suffice to be able to log in with user name rather than email… 

My $0.02 since we run the same software for the Casio Forums. The forum software allows for it but it is highly not recommended. They will be discontinuing user name login in the future.

Allowing users to log in with a display name can represent a security weakness for your community because display names are public information and malicious users may attempt to login to multiple accounts with common passwords until they find an account for which the passwords work. It is recommended that you only allow users to log in with their email address.

• Like 1

-Mike Martin

Casio

On 1/28/2022 at 9:40 AM, analogika said:

My login address contains a "+" sign, so I can't login unless I click the "forgot password" link and reset the PW from the e-mailed link. 

Which obviously logs me out on all other devices until I click the "forgot password" link, which then… 

(I add a "+webservicename@mymaildomain.tld" to any registration whenever the form lets me.)

This wouldn't be an issue if the forum let me log in with my user name — or if the e-mail form were modified to accept the "+" character (which has been standard ever since googlemail allowed it fifteen or so years ago). 

I looked through the control panel and see no configurable parameter to use username for login, so we stuck with using email address to login.

It's possible that Invision blocks special characters for email addresses, but it's also possible they know that the '+' character can be prepended a gmail address to create multiple email alias all to the same account.

My advice - get an email address without special characters.

I'm finding I have to log in twice. First time I get an error. Then it takes me to another login page, and that one works.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50