Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Studiologic Numa X Piano

You can make kind of switchable split sound on SV-2 if you sometimes want full keyboard with single sound and sometimes have e.g. left hand bass. To do this you need to prepare a split in Editor and set split point to the lowest key.

After recalling this favorite, you can quite easily switch between non-split and split sound just by moving the split point with combination: press and hold Local button and then hit desired key. It can work opposite way, depending where you set your split point before saving a favorite.

BTW You can modify and save favorites without Editor, with just a long press of favorite button and then short press confirmation. You can even save that way in another bank of 8 favorites, but you need to be careful if you don't want to overwrite current favorite. Just select another bank like you would normally choose a sound but at the end of process: long press of favorite button and confirmation.

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7

I'd just like to add that the warmness of the sound on the SV2 depends pretty much on how strong you hit the keys. If you hit softly, then the sound will be pretty warm, but if you hit strongly, then it will be quite bright.

This is especially true on the AP, and also a bit on the EP. This is something I've kind of learned to deal with on the SV2, which was definitely not the same on the SV1.

So if you want to get a constantly bright sound, then you just have to change the velocity curve to use one which generates loud notes, if even you play softly.

Hi!   I updated the firmware on my Numa X 73  yesterday to version 2.00  and just wanted to provide the preliminary results.  Basically, the version update to 2.00 improves keyboard response significantly, and provides a better finger-to-ear connection, probably due to the improved keyboard scanning.   Definitely improved playability!  The Mark II and Suitcase voices are also improved as well.   The Acoustic piano voices were already decent, and I tend to like the timbrel dynamics of modeled pianos in general.   I also added the new voices to the Numa X piano as well yesterday.  Using the Numa Manager  both voice updating and firmware updating were very smooth and easily accomplished.     In my opinion this is an essential update.

• Like 1

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

43 minutes ago, The_Star_Guy said:

Hi!   I updated the firmware on my Numa X 73  yesterday to version 2.00  and just wanted to provide the preliminary results.  Basically, the version update to 2.00 improves keyboard response significantly, and provides a better finger-to-ear connection, probably due to the improved keyboard scanning.   Definitely improved playability!  The Mark II and Suitcase voices are also improved as well.   The Acoustic piano voices were already decent, and I tend to like the timbrel dynamics of modeled pianos in general.   I also added the new voices to the Numa X piano as well yesterday.  Using the Numa Manager  both voice updating and firmware updating were very smooth and easily accomplished.     In my opinion this is an essential update.

Good to know. It sounds like the board I tried in the store had the original OS because each fault I found has been addressed. 

Here for the gear.

On the GT at least, firmware 2.0 was such a dramatic improvement that it almost felt like a different instrument for quiet playing and fast repetitions. Definitely make sure you check the firmware version before making final judgements.

• Like 1

I now have a Numa X 73 with the updated firmware and I must say, I really enjoy playing on the TP110.  The sounds are great and I'm guessing there will be many more improvements to come including more sounds.  It's a keeper!!

• Like 3

To me, this says so much about StudioLogic’s customer service, and convinces me further that I made the correct decision.  When I reported the silly Noise Gate situation, within 48 hours I was notified by StudioLogic acknowledging the design error, and telling me that an update adding a switch for the noise gate, along with “several other improvements”, would appear within days.  Sure enough, a week later we get this comprehensive update that not only fixes the noise gate, it also made an already excellent playing experience even better.  Plus, their new piano sounds are as good as anything I have heard from Kawai, Yamaha, or any other company. All that for less than half the price of those keyboards from their competitors (Yamaha and Nord, I’m talking about you!)

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Is there an available list of all of the sounds for this keyboard?  i could not find such a list in the online manual.  I am interested in the board but want to understand what I am potentially buying.  I noticed that they recently added a banjo which actually is important to me.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, SonicKeysII said:

Is there an available list of all of the sounds for this keyboard?  i could not find such a list in the online manual.  I am interested in the board but want to understand what I am potentially buying.  I noticed that they recently added a banjo which actually is important to me.  Thanks.

Numa X sound list

"Banjo" is in the "Other" bank, patch 21 (MIDI Program Change 20)

• Like 1

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

How would any of you rate the "other sounds" in terms of playing a typical classic rock gig with a band?   I have gone from carrying three and sometimes four boards to a gig to no more than two and would love to cut it to one.  Usually, the organ sounds are the weak link in a board with decent piano and electric piano sounds.  How do they fare here?  i am not looking for clonewheel perfection and I am not looking for a debate on organ action.  (I play a real Hammond at practice and have concluded that none of the better clones I have played come close to a real Hammond). I am looking for usable sounds and realize i would be making a compromise on the action.  The same with the brass and synth sounds.  Can you get by with the sounds on board on a gig or do you clearly need a second top board?  Again, i am not looking for perfection.  Last, I did not see a solo violin on the sound list.  Can you tweak the violins setting to get a "solo violin" sound?  I play in a band that occasionally plays country and I need a decent solo violin sound.  (My VR-09 has a decent violin which cuts through the mix well IMHO).

I haven't played it, but assuming the organ sounds are disappointing, the MIDI functionality might let you get the VB3m organ from your smartphone.

If there's no solo violin, an iPhone might help there as well. While you can conceivably sometimes use effects to create something closer to a multiple-strings sound out of a solo violin sound, there's no way to do the reverse.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On 6/23/2022 at 10:17 AM, b3plyr said:

I believe HammondDave can readily answer the organ question. 

Well...  Although the B3 sounds are "useable", I am a purist. So I play a Mojo 61 for the B3 sounds in my band (I play the Mojo on about 60% of our songs).  If my Mojo dies, I can use VB3m on my iPad.  That is an excellent backup.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe zombie thread at this point- but wanted to post this.  Tanks everyone for the heads up on this, never would have considered it.

Got mine today. I figured with 30 day return I'd roll the dice.  I've been shopping for a compact 73/76 note thing for a while.   

Other options considered:  Yamaha CP73 (new or used) , the Studiologic controller with Mainstage, and a Yamaha p-121 I've had on back order forever.  Considered a Nord Electro HP with weighted keys- but too expensive and  already own a Stage 2 compact and NS2. 88.  My 88 lives at Church, only take it out for big shows.  

After 4 hours  Here's my first impressions:

1. Whoever designed this thing is my hero. The UI is bloody brilliant.  Never cracked the manual-and getting around on the Numa is a sheer pleasure, compared to other stuff I own, or have used.   At first,  I thought there was no way to turn down the way too loud pedal noise, but found out how quickly.  It's all there.  Menu diving is only for things you'd probably not edit often. 

2. Being a Yamaha and Nord guy,  I'm used to Yamaha slab actions, and love  my Nord Stage 2 action. I  thought the Numa's T110  is supposed to be the same as Nord?   At first play the Numa honestly felt a little weird.  The bottom out was strange.   My Nord is at Church so couldn't compare.  Have a real grand 5 ft away and it was definitely different.   It took a good hour to get comfortable with it. But after I tweaked the sensitivity up a few notches I got used to it and felt pretty good.   The sound and UI are so dang good that any initial  misgivings will probably be overlooked, but I'll let you know.....especially after I let a day pass.  Most importantly use it on a gig. 

3. Soundwise, I noticed many of the  AP Youtube videos were very mid-bright. The Master EQ Midrange on mine was bumped at 800hz. I wonder if they all come like that?   I knocked that down to 500 ish.   The German Grand and the Vintage grand are really wonderful. I mostly use the XL Yamaha Grand on my Nord, so was interested in that, but wasn't all that in love with this version.  For EPs: As an owner of two Wurlis, I'm a snob.  It seems every muso  company (except Nord and Kurzweil)  thinks "My best friend " (Queen) and "the Logical song" (Supertramp) are the quintessential Wurli sound. They're not.  Pull out a Donny Hathaway record, Joe Zawinul "Mercy Mercy" or even "Brandy you're a fine girl" .   That's my idea of a the true Wurli sound.  I wish they had done a sample that wasn't quite so spanked.   I ended up combining  the Wurli200 with the "DX piano" and bringing down the filter a bit on both  to get it a bit more usable. The Rhodes were very nice, and no complaints.  Clavs seemed ok, haven't spent enough time and many other sounds to honestly comment.   Loved the string pads and perc (Marimiba/Vibes) as that's the stuff I immediately needed to put layers together with. 

I wish the EQ also offered cut, or maybe just a HPF but maybe that's down the road.   They add some clarinets and another grand. Would love if they added a Felt/Mute upright or grand. 

I still may check out the Yamaha CP, I've always defaulted to Yamaha stuff.  Just wanted to go outside the box this time.  I've tweaked that Vintage grand on this thing from ensemble  to solo where I think i'm pretty happy with it.  Will take it out in combat on my next gig and see how it fares.  

I'm really loving the idea that I might be able to replace my mixer using the Numa's built-in.   If I can plug the Nord Compact or Mojo Classic and my melodica into this that's one less piece of gear and less cables to bring.  I also really appreciate real midi jacks, and ton of pedal options. 

Look forward to my next Artist  band gig onTuesday - Everything will be Italian;  the Numa, Crumar Mojo, Accordion, and me. 

Bottom line, and time will tell- for the price this thing aims high and mostly succeeds.   

• Like 4

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

10 hours ago, obxa said:

It seems every muso  company (except Nord and Kurzweil)  thinks "My best friend " (Queen) and "the Logical song" (Supertramp) are the quintessential Wurli sound. They're not.  Pull out a Donny Hathaway record, Joe Zawinul "Mercy Mercy" or even "Brandy you're a fine girl" .   That's my idea of a the true Wurli sound. 

Not only the sound, but the playing style in just about every YouTube demo video. Pet peeve.

• Like 1

Here for the gear.

I have to say that Chris' comments pretty much echo my feelings about my new Numa X 73.  I have a couple of gigs under my belt and it was a joy to use on stage .  The USB implementation is brilliant and I'm finally confident to use my iPad in my rig. It's a keeper for sure.  I've had a few excellent interactions with Gianni at Studiologic and he is quick to help and promises more development in time.....

• Like 1

And don’t forget, gents, that there is already a great OS update that makes the keyboard feel even better, plus new free sounds (including another great piano) already available on the Numa Manager.  Yamaha and Nord are ridiculously overpriced for what you get. And in many areas, the Piano X exceeds those products. 

• Love 1

Thank you  Dave and thanks for all your feedback on the Numa.   I use  similar rig to yours on some shows- and your comments were very helpful.   I didn't have a chance to update the OS will do that tonight. 

C

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Mine (73) should arrive here  monday.

I only need to sleep 3 nights more 🎅

As I also coincidentally have my Nord here at home now, it will be interesting to compare.

• Like 1
/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

So Ken how do you tell the difference on the Nords? My Stage2ex is 88  from 2017-2018. Lives at my church gig.

Someone had posted on this thread or another- a link to that German site that lists all the (Fatar) actions of keyboards. 

https://www.musiker-board.de/threads/verbaute-tastaturen-und-hersteller-sammelthread.435157/

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

For new Piano X users… a couple of quick things to do before you start playing seriously on this instrument. Go to Numa Manager and download and install the updated OS.  It is a huge improvement from the original one.  Plus it has a bunch of new library instruments.  Then go through all the piano patches (AP and EP) and turn the pedal noise down to below 15, and save each patch.  Some crazy engineer at Studio/Logic has it defaulted at 64!   Next, in the system settings, try setting the sensitivity at its different settings (to your liking). This also makes a huge difference. 

then… turn out the lights… turn on your Lava Lamp… and enjoy!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kenheeter said:

Which Nord do you have?  have a TP40 Stage and a TP100 Stage. The Numa is great compared to both.

I have the NS73 HP, so it doesn’t gonna replace that, but I expect it to play much better keywise. I have a Legend 70’s I am using for most of the piano parts in my band, that is with TP100, and should be a more relevant keyboard to compare with when it came to key action.

Previous NS was the old 88 Classic (with TP40 ?).

The Numa is meant to be a home keyboard. Would love to try the GT, might later change to that if I like the sound.

I had the Seven home for a 30 days period. I think it had the best Wurlitzer I have tried in a clone, Rhodes was fine, and the latest AP was also OK, but I couldn’t live with the heavy and spongy action, and a couple of other things also annoyed me a bit. But I love the shape of the Legend and Seven, practical to place other keyboards on top, and still get the keys relatively close together.

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

I've read all through this thread but have not found an answer to my question. Is the Numa X piano action lighter than the Yamaha P121/125?

I'm a Hammond player and honestly cant play piano but I need to do some parts in the classic rock band I play in. I dont like using my semi weighted organ keyboard but the heavy digital actions are fatiguing to me.

I'd like a lightly weighted action in 73 key  at a modest cost.

Is the TP-110 any lighter than the Yamahas?

Thanks, Dan

1 hour ago, kenheeter said:

All of the Nord Stage 88s have the TP-40 action. My Nord Stage EX has the TP-40 but my Stage 2 EX has the TP-100. In my opinion the TP-40 is best, followed by TP-110 ( Numa X ) and then TP 100. 

There are different Fatar TP40,- TP 40 L (light), M (medium), H (heavy), GH (graded hammer) and GH WOOD (graded hammer w/ wooden core).

AFAIK, your NORD is the M version while Kurzweil uses the L version.

TP400 Wood (triple sensor/ graded hammer) is Fatar´s top action now and the upgrade over the TP40 GH WOOD.

It´s in the Numa X 88 GT.

Just sayin´ ...

You might try a Numa X  88 GT to compare w/ Nord´s TP40M.

☺️

A.C.

3 hours ago, dfcas said:

I've read all through this thread but have not found an answer to my question. Is the Numa X piano action lighter than the Yamaha P121/125?

I'm a Hammond player and honestly cant play piano but I need to do some parts in the classic rock band I play in. I dont like using my semi weighted organ keyboard but the heavy digital actions are fatiguing to me.

I'd like a lightly weighted action in 73 key  at a modest cost.

Is the TP-110 any lighter than the Yamahas?

Thanks, Dan

Yes 

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

I just received my Numa Piano X 88 and really like it. Unfortunately, the power on is erratic - I can't always turn the board on! I have updated to firmware 2.0. Anyone else have this issue? The board is perfect for my duo, but I need to solve the power issue. If I return it, I will definitely get another. It has great build quality and I have to believe this is a fluke.

36 minutes ago, kenheeter said:

I had this issue as well but after discussing with Gianni at Studiologic I now know that you need to press and hold for a second.  Works every time for me.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately mine currently is inconsistent regardless of how long I hold the press.